SASS Wire Forum

Cost of a hotel room

Alpo

I haven't stayed in a hotel in close to 20 years. So this seemed outrageously expensive to me, but the article said it was fairly normal.

$229 a night.

Really?

I paid 89.00/night for a room at a resort a couple weeks ago. Place in town here is 39.99 and I think comes with needles and a complimentary hooker.

15 minutes ago, Alpo said:

I haven't stayed in a hotel in close to 20 years. So this seemed outrageously expensive to me, but the article said it was fairly normal.

$229 a night.

Really?

I've stayed in hotels quite a bit over the last couple years in different states (while looking to move). We've spent $80 to $350 per night. Some places are $700+. If you want to risk getting stabbed or hepatitis, you can find a place for $40 or $50. I would say average is about $125 or so for a decent place. Your $229 isn't outrageous. Just make sure to shop around and use hotels.com, Priceline, etc. 

COVID definitely drove prices way up. Even just 2020 until now. 

Location????

On a beach? Cheap.

Nice fancy hotel? Not bad.

Just some hotel to stay at? Pretty high.

Decent hotel at our State match. I think it's around $130 a night counting taxes for two guests. 

The article was about a Airbnb. I had heard the term before but had no idea what it was. They explained.

This couple got a snazzy idea of letting people sleep in their living room on air mattresses (thus AIR B&B). This took off because an Airbnb was so much cheaper than a hotel. Then prices started going up. And now they cost as much as a hotel.

This particular one was charging 229 a night, plus there was $130 cleaning fee. And the customer was willing to pay that. But they also wanted the customer to clean up after themselves - take out the garbage, strip the sheets, do a load of laundry, fill up the dishwasher. The customer's theory was if I have to clean up, why am I paying a cleaning fee? And if I'm paying a cleaning fee, why should I have to clean up?

And she had, to my mind, a valid point. But it was the price that got me. "An Airbnb now cost as much as a hotel", and they wanted $229 a night. I'm thinking -damn! Hotels cost that much now?

https://www.boredpanda.com/tiktoker-criticizes-airbnb-for-asking-clean/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=organic

1 hour ago, Michigan Slim said:

I paid 89.00/night for a room at a resort a couple weeks ago. Place in town here is 39.99 and I think comes with needles and a complimentary hooker.

Are you sure that wasn’t 39.99 a hour :) 

Try Travalosity(sp?)

Lady I was talking to today mentioned she paid about 1/3 less in the same hotel for the same room.

3 minutes ago, Alpo said:

Wow. And I thought the $100 a night I was paying in Kissimmee when I went to Disney back in 97 was outrageous.

Anything inside the park is expensive, the last time my wife and I went was about 02 and we just bit the bullet for the convenience. You have such limited time on vacation. I want to enjoy myself not travel constantly 

I retired from the state in 2017 after five years, but during that time I stayed in motels a lot - places like Best Western, Fairfield, and Comfort Inn, and they ran about $120 - $130 a night at the state/government rate. They had me stay at a different chain as often as I could, so as to not be showing preference for one over the other. If I was running late and couldn't quite make it back to my Helena office by 5:00, they would have me stay another night, plus pay per diem, instead of paying 15 minutes overtime.

35 minutes ago, PowerRiverCowboy said:

LOL dont Come to Sturgis , Many of ours close in winter (And I am Talking Ramada ) so summer is only time they make money .During the Blue state escapee invasion last year  Motel 6 was  $ 350 

Motel 6 was the 39.99 I was talking about here! Lol

3 minutes ago, Michigan Slim said:

Motel 6 was the 39.99 I was talking about here! Lol

Yes normally here it will be ohh 99-129 here especially during rally last year was bad  a 30 minute drive to Deadwood was 1.5 to 2 hours and  Rooms and gas went accordingly :)  When rally come gas will go up 25 cents a gallon overnight , hate to see this year .

I paid $129.99 last August and $119.99 in July at two different Comfort Inns. I also stayed at a Red Roof in October that was $89.99 

I guess that I'm WAY cheaper than you guys. The last four years, (I doubt I'll be able to afford it this year, thank you Brandon), I've road tripped from Arizona to Ohio to visit my oldest friend. I traveled just after Labor Day. 

I paid from $29 a night at the Blarney Inn in Shamrock Tx. to $210 for three nights at a Motel 6 in Columbus. Of course the places I stayed at were not the best available, but I didn't have to shoot my way out of them, and my truck was where I left it. 

I booked through Booking.com, so that helped with the rates somewhat. They also have plenty of customer reviews to help you make a decision. (I drove to Brazil In., 20 miles out of Terre Haute because even I have standards, and the places I WOULD stay at in Terre Haute are REAL proud of their rooms. The place I found was about half of what I would have paid).

And BTW, every Wyndham hotel I stayed at was crap. Tolerable, but I could find better for not much more.

I have stayed at everything from Sheratons to Roach motels. Prices vary wildly depending on the season , day of the week, location and the position of the constellations. Sometimes the travel sites like Expedia get you a better deal and sometimes calling the hotel directly and asking about discounts works. It’s a minefield for your wallet. 

A weekend night in Reno NV. Last year cost us about $250.  IIRC, it was almost $100 less on the eastern side of the state the night before.

If you want to see ridiculous rates, try anywhere near Sturgis during Bike week, (my in-laws always say don’t come to Spearfish then) or Reno during Hot August Nights.

Our hotel in Phoenix last night was around $200! Seems crazy. We were looking at going to Yellowstone this summer and the main lodge is $400 a night. 

11 hours ago, Modoc said:

A weekend night in Reno NV. Last year cost us about $250.  IIRC, it was almost $100 less on the eastern side of the state the night before.

If you want to see ridiculous rates, try anywhere near Sturgis during Bike week, (my in-laws always say don’t come to Spearfish then) or Reno during Hot August Nights.

See my post above heck  a tent spot on a front yard with nothing is 150-200 

Seasonality makes a huge difference almost everywhere now.

Tourist places run about double in-season.  In recent years, I've stayed in really nice places for $200 off-season, but the same place ran $550 when we returned during the tourism season.  We camped instead of paying that.  

One thing to watch out for now. sadly, is imposter hotel chain web sites.  We encountered that with Best Western.  They wanted our credit card and a lot of other personal info to book a reservation.  My antennae popped up and I left the site and phoned the hotel instead.  They said the imposter site doesn't book the reservation, but does misuse the credit card to raid bank accounts.   I always call now.   If they require online booking, let them tell you that and give you the correct URL, rather than using a search engine.

9 hours ago, Cholla said:

Our hotel in Phoenix last night was around $200! Seems crazy. We were looking at going to Yellowstone this summer and the main lodge is $400 a night. 

When you coming up? Quigley is in June, Father's day weekend. Stop in and say hi if you get up to Bozeman.

1 hour ago, The Blarney Kid said:

When you coming up? Quigley is in June, Father's day weekend. Stop in and say hi if you get up to Bozeman.

We are not coming up. The wife has given up on that idea and is now going to Vegas with friends and I am going to Bordertown, if I get my application in on time.

I priced the beach at several different states and they wanted over $400 in the offseason of March and over $500a night during the summer.  Places I had stayed at before for less than $300 a night were nearly doubled.  A tent in my own back yard and a kiddie pool is cheaper.

Location, location, location.  Prior to COVID, I used to travel quite a lot for my job.  Sometimes as often as 4 times a month.  I've stayed in so many hotels that I know room layouts by brand (i.e. if I stay in a Mariott in Phoenix, it's the same room layout as the Mariott in Los Angeles).  Rental cars, airplanes, and hotels took a lot of my time (and it appears that within the next year I'm going to return to that hectic lifestyle). 

To answer your question, it depends on location AND time of year.  A nice hotel (say, Mariott, for example) in Phoenix in December may be just over $125 per night.  The same room in March, when baseball Spring Training is going on, may be $300 per night because the baseball junkies have taken over the city.  Being a baseball junkie, it pained me significantly to have spent 2 1/2 years traveling there every month and not being able to take in Spring Training, but that's besides the point. 

Go to New York City, and that very same room is going to run you $450 per night due to the demand, but in Salina, Kansas, it's about $80.

Archived