SASS Wire Forum

Snake ID needed

It's fate is in your decision. :o

Appears friendly with rounded face. :P

20201114_132235.thumb.jpg.f2ff2c52d5191ef0d69a73f404c32a14.jpg20201114_132244.thumb.jpg.124b8655814599ab88e59794f880184a.jpg20201114_132254.thumb.jpg.25e23700adf4a7fba75cd55b12ca49aa.jpg

Just now, Michigan Slim said:

Looks like a hognose to me.

On second glance it looks too narrow. Hognose are kind nda bulky in my observation.

Here's some info from UF on common Florida snakes.  From what I see, this looks to be your guy.  Gray Rat Snake  You will need to judge by his coloring.  It's difficult for me to tell from the pictures.

1 hour ago, Calamity Kris said:

Here's some info from UF on common Florida snakes.  From what I see, this looks to be your guy.  Gray Rat Snake  You will need to judge by his coloring.  It's difficult for me to tell from the pictures.

41 minutes ago, Marshal Hangtree said:

It's a grey rat snake.

7 minutes ago, Texas Joker said:

He friendly you can play with him. No cateyes not triangle headed no pits. Rat snake

I would agree. 

https://ufwildlife.ifas.ufl.edu/snakes/grayratsnake.shtml

https://pureflorida.blogspot.com/2011/04/grs.html?m=1

Father Kit,

You should brush up on the snakes that are venomous and what they look like. Fewer snakes = Easier to remember. 

Notice the slight color variations between links. Snakes do not always look like their photographs. They can have color variations. The head will usually give away the venomous snake, except for the Coral snake, but then those colors make it stand out a bit. 

https://www.floridamuseum.ufl.edu/herpetology/fl-snakes/venomous-snakes/

https://www.snakesforpets.com/venomous-snakes-in-florida/

https://ufwildlife.ifas.ufl.edu/venomous_snake_identification.shtml

https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/the-most-venomous-snakes-of-florida.html

i dont like snakes much - long as they do their thing away from me im fine with them , we all gotta eat and they eat critters i dislike nearly as much as them so i will tolerate as long as i dont have to be in close proximity , 

It might be a young corn snake (grey corn snake)  

If the scales on its belly are DIVIDED from anal to tail, its non-poisonous.

If the scales on its belly are straight from anal to tail, its poisonous.

I wouldn't kill it just yet.

..........Widder

With the exception of the Coral snake, all poisonous snakes in the US have elliptical eyes, like a cat. Pit vipers also have hooded brows. So if the snake looks surprised, like that shown, it's not venomous. The pictures attached show a copperhead, a cottonmouth, a timber rattlesnake, and an eastern diamondback. Notice the keeled scales on the timber rattlesnake which are found on pit vipers. Notice the pronounced brow and heat-sensing pit.

Pit Viper122.jpg

Pit Viper121.jpg

Timber Closeup.jpg

Pit Viper091.jpg

29 minutes ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

That snake really don't need an I.D. cause everybody knows just looking at it that its a snake.  :D

..........Widder

Go back to your room.....and lock the door :lol:

OLG 

I like snakes.  I prefer that they avoid me.  They do good things, like eat vermin that get into our houses and cause problems.  I won't kill a snake, even a buzztail (rattler).

One evening a year or 2 ago, my wife went outside with the dog and my daughter.  I heard her yelling for me and went to the back door to see what was going on.  There was a diamondback at the base of the 2 steps down from the door.  They all stepped over it going out back.  I had them back off and get the shovel, just in case.  The snake slithered into a hole in the concrete from the form next to the step.  So everyone could go inside.  I used the shovel to shove some crumpled up paper into the gaps and left a hole for it to leave, and left some wadded up paper around so that I would be able to tell if it had been moved.

Went out a few hours later, and sure enough, the wadded up paper had been shifted, so the snake had left.  We haven't seen another since, but there are a lot of 'em in the area.

We do put the dogs through rattlesnake avoidance training every year.  It works.  It's saved my wife a few times from potential bites while on walks by the river with the dogs.

Now if it had come into the house, that would have been it for the snake.  But IMO, they have just as much right to exist.  As always, your mileage may vary.

3 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

..........Widder

Receptionist “How can I help you, Sit?”

Kit “A snake bit me and I think it’s poisonous!”

Receptionist “ Why do you think that?”

Kit “I got two holes in my arm, like fang marks.”

Receptionist “How did you encounter the snake?”

”Well, I was tryin’ to roll it over to look at it’s belly and WHAM! It got me. Bit me hard”

The receptionist hands Kit a small piece of card stock.

”Sir, here’s your sign....” :P

Thank you all for the SASSpedia breakdown on snake ID.

The "funnies" were a nice touch.

I did some additional research online, asked the snake several questions,  specifically how he got on our property, ie. "Did you cross the border illegally?", to which he didn't respond, of course.

Downloaded an APP to assist:

2020_11_15_08_27_27.jpg.c0998ec6d69566feff262bfaa1b826c3.jpg

Got a reply that it was a "juvenile black racer". Looks like this:

2020_11_14_04_33_41.jpg.2cd1bbea0c70ed4ec0af005be1ad82c4.jpg

My snake looks like this:

2020_11_14_04_30_59.jpg.ef9f03e0702e76b71e24af2b2305d019.jpg

The closest guess by SASSepedia was the grey rat snake which looks like this:

DSC00991.JPG.jpg.17eabfb7f99714ec3b0a4a47b4f015a4.jpg

The description of the grey rat snake says it has a "stripe" running from the back of the eye to the rear of the jaw opening, which my snake doesn't have.

The markings on the belly with their distinctive orange color ...

20201114_151956.thumb.jpg.a9178a8beee64fbb02bb37a46a3dab2a.jpg

....makes me go with the racer ID.

Either way, I returned his passport, and sent him on his way.

20201114_152202.thumb.jpg.ea15b3e4b24ee5ed96c7ef5d18b48b13.jpg

13 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

That snake really don't need an I.D. cause everybody knows just looking at it that its a snake.  :D

..........Widder

It's always preferable to positively ID a target. ;)

JHC

A friend of mine tried to relocate a rattlesnake off his property years ago following his divorce. As you might guess, he got bit. Luckily, his neighbor was hope and took him to the local hospital. By the time he got to the ER, his vision was going. They did not have antivenom. Put him in an ambulance and sent him to another hospital that did. He lost consciousness on the way to the other hospital. Once there, they administered the antivenom and...he had an allergic reaction. Was in a coma for 3 days. Did fully recover, luckily. 

I don't relocate rattlers.

I've already told my copperhead story.  Aside from the venomous, the only thing wrong with a snake is the startle factor.

34 minutes ago, MizPete said:

I've already told my copperhead story.  Aside from the venomous, the only thing wrong with a snake is the startle factor.

Years ago, riding with the kids on bikes on a paved bike path through the woods, a copperhead crossed the path behind me,  just as I was passing it. My 6 year old daughter was on her bike behind me, and by the time I passed the snake and turned around to warn the kids, she was running over the snake, and both continued on their ways. None of the kids saw the snake, and I didn't stop until we were about 50 yards past it. When I told them, of course they wanted to go look for it. I wisely said no.

On 11/14/2020 at 8:29 PM, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

..........Widder

So u want us to turn it over to see if it's poisonous? 

2 hours ago, Hells Comin said:

So u want us to turn it over to see if it's poisonous? 

He probably could care less is it's poisonous or not. He just want to watch you turning over a snake.;)

We found this little tiny snake once, couldn't have been but 3 inches long.  It was belly up.  We tried to turn it over to identify it and it flipped itself right back over.  Over and over again.  It didn't try to run, I guess it was trying to play dead and it was pretty darn insistent about being dead.  Never did manage to see the pattern on it's back, just it's white underbelly.  I guess I should have checked it's anal scales to find out of it was poisonous. 

Archived