SASS Wire Forum

Favorite Western and Lines

Purdy Good

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Favorite western "Chisum" cause John Wayne setting on the hill at the beginning and end remind me of my Granddad. 

"Once upon a time in the west" has been called not just the best western but the best movie ever made. I don't know about that but I liked it.

2 hours ago, Stony Lane said:

Favorite western "Chisum" cause John Wayne setting on the hill at the beginning and end remind me of my Granddad. 

That's just adorable and respectable. Why's it remind you of him?

2 hours ago, Flash said:

"Once upon a time in the west" has been called not just the best western but the best movie ever made. I don't know about that but I liked it.

What's your favorite line from it? <3

“Dying ain’t much of a livin’ boy”

”You came back for a place like this, why?

my favorite western is tombstone, my favorite line is from my second favorite western, lightning jack, "I don't speak English! I'm bloody Australian!" jack kane (paul Hogan)

A lot of great ones from John Wayne movies.  For example, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance.  Scene when Liberty comes into the restaurant and trips Jimmy Stewart causing his tray with John Wayne's steak on it to fall on the ground. Liberty orders Jimmy Stewart to pick up. John Wayne steps in and says "No, you pick it up".  Great scene. Just saw this the other night, so it's fresh on my mind.

Tombstone has many great lines, "I've got two guns, one for each of you", "I'll be your Huckleberry" . . .

9 hours ago, Purdy Good said:

That's just adorable and respectable. Why's it remind you of him?

Edited 9 hours ago by Purdy Good
Typo

My Granddad was a big Irish-American born in central Texas about the same time as John Wayne. He had the look and build of Mr. Wayne, shared the same values and to me they were somehow one and the same. He is the reason I know much more about John Wayne than a normal person should. (His youngest son, my mother’s brother, could have doubled for the Duke.)

Granddad did many things in his life to earn a living but he was first, foremost and always a rancher. I was lucky in that mom and dad made sure we spent a lot of time with him. He is the one that taught me to hunt, fish and enjoy the outdoors.

As to the scene in the movie, I can remember many times when he would take my brother and I out to a pasture, give us a single shot .410 shotgun and tell us to go get a squirrel or something. He would then go up on the side of a nearby hill and watch us from his horse or later his pickup. He was always far enough to make us think we were on our own, but close enough to come if he was needed.

3 minutes ago, Stony Lane said:

As to the scene in the movie, I can remember many times when he would take my brother and I out to a pasture, give us a single shot .410 shotgun and tell us to go get a squirrel or something. He would then go up on the side of a nearby hill and watch us from his horse or later his pickup. He was always far enough to make us think we were on our own, but close enough to come if he was needed.

I really like this part of your story. What a great memory. Thanks for sharing! 

one of my favorite scenes is from chisum - at the river  "did you bring gold"

"did you bring silver"

"nope-just lead"

From the war wagon- "mine fell first"

"mine was taller"

Trying to pick one Western as my favorite is almost insurmountable.   If I REALLY had to pick one, I'd be inclined to choose The Shootist since it was for all intents and purposes the last traditional one made in Hollywood.

But as for a favorite line from a western, to me, nothing will ever outshine that immortal phrase...

FILL YOUR HAND YOU SON OF A BITCH!

My current favorite is The Wild Bunch, because it has no good guys and about 17 minutes of pure action with very little dialog...hijacking the train sequence!  Brilliant action and direction by Peckinpah, words not necessary.

A close second is the original Magnificent Seven, as you can tell from my signature:  "I was aiming at the horse!"

Favorite western:  The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance.  Favorite quote from the movie:  "This is the West, sir. When the legend becomes fact, print the legend."

My favorite western has always been Rio Lobo.  Yes it is a bit camp & the firearms are totally anachronistic, but it has great action & a lot of good lines.  "What did you brew this with?" comes to mind.

Holler

Jack Palance as Curly in "City Slickers. Billy Christal is needling him and asks " Hey Curly, killed anybody today?"  He replies "Day aint over yet"

Imis

"Killin a man is a hell of thing.... take everything he has..... and everything he's ever gonna have....." 

William Munny.... Unforgiven

John wayne in his last movie - The Shootist - gives his rules to live by - this is my paraphrase of the info:

i wont be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on - I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same

Too many good lines from westerns to mention. But one that always cracks me up is from the 2010 True Grit. Rooster Cogburn while in the Jake hollers through the door to Matty who has stalked him there, 

"There is no clock on my business! The hell with you! How did you stalk me here???"

I laugh out loud every time I see that scene. How's that for a tough guy line? ;)

Quigley Down Under-"....God made man but Sam Colt made them equal."  Everyone needs a Sharps.   Waiting list for a Montana Sharps, Shiloh or C Sharps went to 5 years.  

From "Unforgiven" 

"Who owns this shithole?"

The Cowboys 

l

l

l

V

Angel and the Badman:
"Then it would have been Sioux City Saturday night!"

On 8/2/2018 at 7:33 PM, Larabee said:

"Killin a man is a hell of thing.... take everything he has..... and everything he's ever gonna have....." 

William Munny.... Unforgiven

"You just shot an unarmed man"

"He should have armed himself"

Archived