SASS Wire Forum

Wanting to get into the Sport.

Hot Iron Hill

22 minutes ago, Hot Iron Hill said:

Hello all, I need some advice... I would love to getting into the sport but is there anyway to get into the game without breaking the bank? Any advice on firearms and loading? 

I've picked up fireworks at Phantom Fireworks, so I know where you're at.  You might try contacting John Barleycorn - I think he's a good bit west of you, but he knows the clubs in PA.  Otherwise, Lumpy's advice is absolutely spot on.  Pietta 1851 Navy revolvers are not only the cheapest way to go and they are in my humble opinion the most fun.  However, Navy revolvers are NOT for beginners.  The least expensive version of the Uberti Cattleman is the next least expensive route and they come in the most common calibers.  Having said that, try before you buy and always keep in mind that you usually get what you pay for. 

Yep, first rule.  Don't buy anything!  There is an awful lot of product out there, and there you'll have no idea what "fits" you until you can make it out to a couple of matches, talk to folks, handle the guns... (People will be pressing guns into your hands!)

But welcome!!  Please feel free to ask whatever questions you need.  You'll be deluged with answers!

you are indeed in a great area for clubs,,  

It looks like you may be closest to CAS, a club just outside of Berkeley Springs, WV.  They hold the WV State Match and are very friendly folks.

It is OK to show up at a match without firearms.  Call the match director ahead and arrange for loaner guns.  Bring 150 rounds of lead 38 Specials and a box of either low recoil Winchester AAs or Remington green STS hulls.  Don't bring hand loads.  Right now you and your hand loads are unknowns.  Unless you decide to shoot Classic Cowboy you will probably shoot 38 Special metallic rounds.  Unless you are wealthy you will soon be hand loading metallic cartridges but buying shotgun shells.  Ask questions about hand loading once you make the decision to do so.

Try to dress somewhat western for your first shoot.  A work shirt, blue jeans (belt OK), a straw hat and work boots will do.  Tennis shoes and ball caps are frowned upon.

Given your avatar I expect you will join the prayer posse. 

Look up Grizzly Dave's videos on starting out in Cowboy. DONT BUY ANYTHING. Most of us didnt hear or heed this advice when new. so we bought guns and gear that did not work well for the sport. Or we got in a hurry and bought what was immediately available BEFORE we knew what we liked or needed. That's why going to a few matches is so important. There are lots of friendly, helpful cowpeople out there, willing to share info and let you try their toys. Lots of people are reluctant to borrow guns and gear, do it anyway, if offered. you will find out real quick what does not work for you. So you dont have to buy one or more to find out that was not your first choice. If you are real competitive you will probably want to buy slicked up guns. Buy once, hurt once.  This is not a horribly expensive hobby to get into, look at car racing, boats even golf. They can be done on the cheap, with limited results. Same,same CAS.

Imis and Welcome

WELCOME HOT IRON HILL,

5af045f0c41cc_WELCOMESTATEMENT-CondensedVersion3.thumb.JPG.5804f55a34af3a9cfa5dd878c16b31bb.JPG

Let's breakdown what the fine Pards on the wire have suggested so far:

• Refrain from purchasing any equipment (holsters, firearms, etc.) first thing.
  • Attend club matches to watch the shooters and ask questions about the firearms they use.
  • When offered to shoot someone's firearms, accept. It's the only way to get experience.
  • Contact the Match Director to let them know you are coming and possibly get loaner firearms.
  • Dress with what you have, but as close to a ranch hand as you can get.
  • If you anticipate shooting someone's firearm, bring stock ammo as suggested.
  • Watch videos online.

And here are a few of my own suggestions:

• Print out the SASS Shooters Handbook and read it before going to a match. Highlight areas that you may have question on so you will remember what to ask.
  • Contact the Match Director and arrange to be at the shooting range the day before to help set up for the next day's shoot. You will have the ability to have their undivided attention to answer your questions, and learn more about the stage set-up, how it's going to be shot the next day, and meet some of the shooters themselves one on one.
  • Research online about our sport.
  • Read the threads that are posted here on the SASS WIRE, there is a lot to learn.
  • Ask questions here on the SASS WIRE, we have a plethora :blink: of experienced cowboys/cowgirls that can answer them.
  • Be sure to volunteer at your first match for some of the Posse duties that don't require experience, such as brass pick-up, loading table (LT), and unloading table (ULT) duties (merely requires a quick lesson from a seasoned shooter to explain what to look for). The LT and ULT will expose you to all the firearms, and the ability to ask questions of the shooters themselves.
  • When you are ready to buy, be sure to check the SASS CLASSIFIED Forum as there are lots of deals and bargains to be found.

Keep in mind that we are here for you to help you enjoy this great sport.

5af04a3c06e07_FKCGG-Sheriff.JPG.4e5a34d147ec7e40158f6c0c4fc3b44c.JPG

I say buy what you can afford right now and jump in with both feet! You're gonna have a heckuva time!!! You'll probably wind up buying and selling everything you start off with anyway! Get out and shoot!!

Happy Trails!

15 hours ago, Hot Iron Hill said:

Hello all, I need some advice... I would love to getting into the sport but is there anyway to get into the game without breaking the bank? Any advice on firearms and loading? 

Frankly, no. It is quite expensive to get up and running with reliable guns that can run as fast as you can, decent costuming,  a functional gun cart, and  reloading capability (buying that much ammo gets old fast). But if you try a match or two and get decent mentoring, you could get hooked and would eventually find a way. One idea, given a bit of patience, is to grab things that are available from someone retired from the sport or from someone with an extra gun they are not using.

100_0710.thumb.JPG.f3ed28cd917a174bdf63f74d7e7e22a0.JPGgun cart need not be expensive,  this one has be redone since the pic,,  larger side and back keepers and deeper notches for the barrels,  but it folds up easily, the middle comes off,,,  holds 4 long guns,  I put coat hooks on the sides of the top wood piece for handguns or thermos,  and cheap

Visit some clubs in your area.  I am guessing that you may not be too far from Thurmont, MD where they not only shoot monthly matches, but also the Mason Dixon Stampede which is a much larger match.  You are certainly welcome to visit us at the PA state match which is held over Memorial Day weekend.  (It may be a little too far for you though)  These larger matches not only have more shooters, but also several vendors offering a variety of things you will need to participate.  

Welcome!  

I agree with Rye. Buying guns is fun, shooting guns is fun, playing cowboy is fun and the process of learning your preferences is fun. Jump in with what you can afford and get some stages under your belt. A few matches with borrowed guns will not give you the definitive answer on gear selection, only practice and repetition will. There is no perfect set-up. I’ve been doing this for fourteen years and last year I got a new rig and this year it’s a new rifle and gun cart and next year it may be something else. We evolve and you have to start somewhere. Your gear isn’t static and neither is your age or your class or your interests. Shop wisely, listen to advice and then buy what you want and get to a match. Remember we don’t buy guns we just rent them. They come and go. With that in mind just start shootin’. As John Wayne said in The Cowboys, “We’re burnin’ daylight.”

Here’s my take:

It costs nothing to attend a local match or two to watch, ask questions and determine whether the game is right for you.  You may get a chance to handle and try different types of firearms which helps you make an informed decision.  Most gunshop sales people are clueless about what gear works in this game.  Ask the people who play.

Once you decide what you want, let other shooters know what you are looking for.  The best place to buy cowboy gear is from other cowboy shooters.  A new shooter in my state went to his local club’s “practice day” and lucked into a great deal on a used Marlin rifle.  If you have cash in hand and a little patience you can do well.

The post about the sale at Tanner’s is an example of good deals that are available.  A friend of mine bought a pair of plain finished Uberti revolvers from Tanner’s when he started out eight years ago.  He shot those revolvers for years and sold them for about what he had in them.

Some shooters buy multiple sets of guns over time, but that is not the case for everyone.  I started in early 2010.  I’m using the same holsters, the same revolvers and the same rifle.  I did buy two shotguns but only because my wife “adopted” my first shotgun and I cut down the stock to fit her.  You don’t necessarily have to buy over and over again.

On ‎5‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 5:45 AM, Father Kit Cool Gun Garth said:

•  
  • When you are ready to buy, be sure to check the SASS CLASSIFIED Forum as there are lots of deals and bargains to be found.

Came here to post this ^  You've already been given plenty of fantastic advice on how to find what's right for you.  The SASS Classified is one of the best places in the world to get that stuff.  When you decide just create a post saying "Want To Buy (WTB)_________."  Whatever it is you're looking for. Our members aren't getting any younger.  Unfortunately for a variety of reasons folks just can't shoot anymore so they're looking to sell their guns.  You can help them and help yourself at the same time.  And as with ANYTHING in SASS, if you're not sure about something don't hesitate for an instant to ask somebody.  You may see a rifle that normally goes for $600-$700 being advertised for $1K.  Ask the seller what modifications have been done.  (They'll usually list them in the ad) Then ask folks around you if the mods are worth the extra $$$ in the asking price. 

I tell all of our new shooter's to get holster first and then just show up. Those empty holster's have a way of getting filled up at our range. 

People let you shoot their rifles, shotguns and pistols until you can work your way into the sport.........at least around here. 

Then you get to easy into and at the same time figure out what guns you like the best. It's a win win. 

If you like it enough you find the money........lol. I know people that show up and say they can't afford it but then tell me about 15 different rifles and pistols they own.............lol. So many times it's probably a priority thing. 

I had more black rifles than you could shake a stick at when I started SASS and only one lever gun........no single action pistols. I sold most of the black rifles and semi autos to get the money for SASS guns. The funny part is I had guns in the safe I "maybe" shot 1 box of ammo through in years and years.........now I shoot at least 500 rounds in a month. 

It's nice to have guns........it's nicer to have guns you actually use............lol

3 hours ago, Cowboy Junky said:

I tell all of our new shooter's to get holster first and then just show up. Those empty holster's have a way of getting filled up at our range. 

I know I often have a spare rig with me, especially if I am expecting new shooters.  That said, one size does not fit all.  So I suggest bringing a sturdy leather belt that they don't need to hold their pants up to hang borrowed holsters on.  I've also heard of clubs that maintain a box of extra leather to loan out to new or perspective shooters.

4 hours ago, Cowboy Junky said:

Oh boy ain't this the truth. I have a tendency to acquire holsters for some reason and I hate to see them empty. I have at times walked into a gun store with an empty holster and found something to fill it. A friend of mine gifted me a really nice hand carved holster recently, and so now I am having a BBQ gun built for it. Yeah it was a very expensive gift haha.

4 hours ago, Cowboy Junky said:

If you like it enough you find the money........lol. I know people that show up and say they can't afford it but then tell me about 15 different rifles and pistols they own.............lol. So many times it's probably a priority thing. 

I didn't own a lot of guns before starting out at this game, but at least half of what I owned back them is gone and was used to buy my first set of guns.

Welcome, Hot Iron Hill :D

All good advice above. The Original Lumpy Gritz is right. Hit a match and see how things go, talk to people and check out their guns and gear. Mr. Canby has a great idea to call the listed match director for a club in your area to get info on attending a match.

To find clubs in your area click this link https://www.sassnet.com/clubs/

and then click on your state. Since you are just north of the Mason-Dixon you may want to click Maryland as well.

In the area where the club is listed click on the "Locate on Map" link and it will show you where the club is located in the state.

I can’t really add anything here except,

This sport looks like fun when you first decide to try it, but...........

it’s much more than that.

You're about to be introduced into a great family of like-minded folks all across the country. SASS shooters will pile on with advice, assistance, and friendship.

As we say, “You come for the shooting, but you stay for the people”.

Welcome to the fun. There’s simply no other group like this. :wub:

On 5/7/2018 at 8:45 AM, Father Kit Cool Gun Garth said:

5af045f0c41cc_WELCOMESTATEMENT-CondensedVersion3.thumb.JPG.5804f55a34af3a9cfa5dd878c16b31bb.JPG

That was an excellent post, but whenever I see you (or anyone else) post an image of cowboys at the campfire I think, "How about some more beans, Mister Taggart?"  :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

All good advice, and welcome, Hot Iron Hill!

All good advice, and as you can tell - folks are more than happy to share (guns, equipment, opinions, etc. . . )

Only thing I can add is that if you decide you enjoy this (no doubt you will), try to buy what makes you happiest, even if it's a bit more expensive.  "Buy once, cry once," as they say.

Have fun, hoss!

Keep your powder dry,

Wild Ben

5abaa13bae5e5_WildBenVanDorn-PosseMember.JPG.4d2579f662889b3d28431ef7003d6d4b.JPG

Go in stages. I got a shotgun first. Then a rifle. Sold the rifle for a different one. Got pistols next. Then another rifle, then another shotgun.

All this over 6 years.   

On 5/6/2018 at 5:22 PM, Hot Iron Hill said:

If you travel to Northern Indiana I have a Stevens 311 SxS you can have.  It's the shotgun the son and I used when we started SASS.  Fully functional.  Since I don't know you I'll just need to see you PA carry permit.

one thing about used guns:  many are already slicked up either by the owner or just being fired a bunch.

some time when you are in a gun shop ask to lever a new Marlin--then try one at the cowboy range.  World of difference.

At our club we will provide our on ammo for those that shoot our guns.  Cowboy loads are 'a bit' below commercial loads and figure it's a way to pay it forward.

but having the ammo there is a great thing to do in any event.\

and welcome to the SASS Posse

5a6f7612de843_CheyenneRanger-PosseMember.JPG.a172a713ac9eb5d112ebc9f4553f71b4.JPG.8857c0d31e3ecfa5268fa6f8021955e0.JPG

Archived