SASS Wire Forum

Concealed Carry Firearm Questions

I have been researching firearms, in particular, one to carry as a concealed firearm.

Like all firearms, there are many considerations to be made before making a final decision.

I would like to get input from pards out there who do carry concealed and don't mind responding with the choices they made and why.

This way I can compare them to what I am considering to determine if my choices are sound.

I also know that where and how you plan to conceal can make a difference in your choice of firearm.

Here are some of the basic, albeit limited, number of questions that come to mind.

• Size: Regulation, compact, subcompact
  • Ammo: 9mm, 45acp, other
  • Any other considerations to take

Thanking you in advance for your suggestions.

On ‎1‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 9:01 AM, Calamity Kris said:

And your thoughts on this are................?

Size: full size 1911, I found holster that allows me to comfortably conceal carry it.

Ammo: .45 acp because I like it

Considerations: what you like and is comfortable in your hand, quality, and my primary is "Shoot what you carry, Carry what you shoot".

#1 is a gun you will carry all the time.

I gun on your nightstand does no good at Walmart.

Everyone has their favorite gun, but that gun is not always the best choice. My favorite gun is a Browning .25. Not because of it's performance, but because it goes with me anywhere I want (even to the swimming pool)! I was a Federal Drug Agent and not only did I own a Browning, I was allowed to carry one, issued to me for duty.

They made me qualify on the FBI Combat Pistol Course back when the standard service weapon was a Smith, Mdl 12, 2", .38. and I managed.

A lot will laugh at this gun, but I used it on several occasions (across three continents) and it worked just fine. My first case as a new Special Agent was a guy shot by his girlfriend with a .25. He was not in very good shape to talk to me after the incident. You are not likely going to be carrying to enforce the law and take out bad guys. You need something to protect you and yours. Your not going to get the drop on a robber with a Glock in hand (no matter how good you are at CAS).

My other carry gun is a .40 cal.

It mostly takes up residents in my car (I travel a lot for work). Anyone in my State can carry a pistol in their car (w/o CCW) and I need something else out on the road.

You may want more than one tool for the job...

In your location the weather is a consideration. I carry a full sized 1911 most of the time but it’s easily concealed by cool weather clothing. When I lived in Florida my carry weapon was either a J frame Smith in 38 +P, or a small frame 9mm in an IWB holster or a Galco ankle holster. When in uniform the ankle holster gun was a back up. 

The most important thing about a carry gun is your ability to use it effectively. If you are not familiar and trained with semi-autos stick with a revolver. Caliber is important but tactics and shot placement are critical.

Find a good training course to get your permit and then find an advanced course that will help you improve your skills. Practice frequently.

You are going to get a bunch of recommendations for 1911's and other assorted bigger guns. Utah Bob is absolutely correct regarding carry in warmer weather.

I like and trust my j-frame S&W's. I also have a Remington RM380 that I am very close to calling completely trustworthy. I carry OWB under floppy shirts and in my pocket.

I haven't found and ankle holster yet that I like for the revolvers or my .380 but I am looking and that when I wear long pants that will be my primary carry style but I will also carry at or above the waist as well.

I use to carry a full size 1911 in .45 acp.     

NOW, I normally carry a SIG P320 with the 4.7" barrel in the 'compact' frame.

But, I don't carry in a holster but rather in the small of my back.    Even when I carried the 1911, I carried in the small of my back.

Caliber: I've carried a .22,  .40,  .45 and the .357 Sig.    My P320 and my P229 Legion are both .357 Sig.   They both hold 12+1 rounds.

..........Widder

There is no one size that fits all people or situation. I carry a 629 classic in a crossdraw under a vest when I ride my horse. Most other times I wear a Ruger LC9s or a Glock 27 in a IWB holster. I used to have a S+W model 60 that I carried on duty in a vest holster. Try as many as you can keeping in mind that you must be able to shoot any gun you choose accurately.

I always carry at the waistband, inside and out, depending on how I'm feeling and the weather. In the summer I'll carry a Springfield XDS, Kimber Compact 1911, or S&W snub. In the winter, I'll carry full size a 1911 or my S&W 686+ 4"

I keep my 5.5" 9mm XDm either in in a slot I made on the front seat of my truck, between my legs or else in a pancake in the small of my back under a vest.

Personally, not fond of open carry... I'm from the old school where concealed means concealed.

I am a fan of 1911s, they're great guns and easy to conceal.  I carried one for years.  

I now carry a Glock 26 if I'm around my small town and/or need a little extra discretion.  If I'm in a big city or traveling, I carry a Glock 19.  The reason I've chosen these is due to magazine compatibility and reliability.  I will carry a 26 with a 10 round mag that sits flush.  My reload is a 17 mag.  

I have either the 26 or 19 in my truck and the other on my person. This allows my wife to use the spare if needs be and we have mag compatibility.  I use JM custom kydex and love them.  The holsters are stout and comfortable.  I wear mine strong side, exactly where my Vaquero sits at matches.  

One consideration is clips instead of loops on your holster.  As a former instructor, I can't tell you how many times I've seen someone pull a firearm and the whole holster come out with the gun.  Stick to positive snap or solid loops.  That little bit of convenience doesn't trump my life.  I want my gun AND ONLY MY GUN when I pull it.

Antoher is ammo capacity, even though some will say, 'if you can't get it done with however many of fill in the blank  caliber'.....

I've never heard anyone say 'I wish I'd have had less ammo in that gun fight'.

Stay safe, hope this helps.

I favor a Para Slim Hawg - a compact, thin-grip 1911 in .45ACP, in a Kirkpatrick cross-draw, when I'm wearing a suit or coat.  I drive a lot, and spend most days at a desk; it's comfortable, and easy to access when seated.

In summer, or when I'm in lighter clothes, I switch to a Sig P238; the controls are basically the same as a 1911, so my simple mind does not have to accomodate remembering which gun I'm carrying.  I just started using a Sneaky Pete holster in practice, but I'm not ready to rely on it.

LL

Father Kit, you have a boatload of ranges in your area. One of them must rent guns. I would go rent some different firearms that you are interested in and fire them. Find out what you like and then look at carry options. Guns on paper look a whole lot different than guns in your hand, or on your hip, or in your pocket, or... I'm sure you get my drift.

I will tell you why I say this. Years ago I bought a Colt 1991A1 (1911) for carry and home protection. I lived in Southern California. It was warm. The clothes I had to wear to carry it concealed were too warm. I bought a S&W 442 .38 5 shot revolver. Much better for carry but I had to practice like crazy to shoot it accurately. Once I got her dialed in though, it was a dream. I still have that gun after 20 years.

In North Carolina I decided to just keep carrying the 442 but I kept a loaded shotgun under the seat of my truck. When temps soared there even the little J-frame was a PITA to carry.

Back to CA I go. I couldn't get a CCW but I decided I wanted a Glock 19. I bought into the hype of the thing. Now, I had a Glock 34 so I believed in Glock reliability. The Glock 19 was the most sought after pistol in CA at the time. They were hard to get. But I "had a guy" that could get me one so I plunked down my money and waited and when I got it and took it to the range and fired it I hated it on the first pull of the trigger. It didn't fit me. It had way to much recoil (muzzle flip) for it's size. I sold it when I moved to Oregon.

I got my CHL here in Oregon and bought a Kel-Tec P3AT .380 pistol. Slick little light pistol that hurt like hell at every trigger pull. It pinched my trigger finger on the bottom and smacked the top of my trigger finger under recoil. I sold it for what I paid for it. That was a first.

I decided to get another .380 and a 9mm. So I went to a range and rented a few. Each gun was a $10 rental fee and I had to buy their ammo. It was $100 well spent.

I bought a Remington RM380 (which I love) and I bought a Remington R51, which I had to work through some magazine issues but this gun is accurate as all heck and I have 4 reliable magazines for it. The reason I bought the Remingtons? I wanted all metal guns and the RM380 was a Rohrbaugh design. The R51 is just plain cool...BUT, I will end up with another Glock at some point. Probably a 17.

Piece of advice. If you buy a magazine fed gun, if it's not a Glock, only buy high quality magazines for it. If a mag malfunctions don't fool with it. Chuck and replace it. If it's a Glock the Glock mags (and Glock pistols) are the best most reliable I have ever encountered.

I've been carrying a Sig P938 9mm for the past year or so.  It's as small as a lot of .380's in a full 9mm cartridge.  Same controls as a 1911.  Very accurate and surprisingly light recoil for such a little gun.

In cool weather when I don't anticipate having to remove my jacket I may carry a Browning Hi-Power.

I've also been known to carry a copy of a Browning .25 ACP.  They're about as small as they get and better than nothing.

I will not recommend a specific type of firearm or caliber for conceal carry.  One will not fit every occasion - just remember the one you have when needed is better than none at all.  I will offer some considerations, some of which have been covered.  Buy the gun that’s right for you, that is the gun you can deploy and shoot with confidence.  Along with confidence, the comfort factor cannot be overlooked, you want to make sure that you find a firearm that you can conceal and carry comfortably.  Then there is Capacity, more is merrier but not always practical, there is no right or wrong answer. But, it’s always good to have extra ammo at the ready. In choosing your carry handgun, you must judge as to whether each option provides a good fit for your hands. Does it point naturally? Is your trigger finger comfortably able to reach the trigger without your having to distort your proper grip? Unless the gun is a point-and-shoot gun, are the sights usable? Can you see the front sight clearly with your corrective lenses on? Also, you want a trigger that is neither too heavy of a pull nor too light. Bottom line—does it feel right for you?  It has been said here to try before you buy and I agree.

Charlie

You will be exposed to lots of subjective information. What I will give you is what has worked for me so please don't think I'm trying to preach any of this as gospel. There are many different variables that but I think the biggest one for me has been the typical weather I see during the corresponding season so that's how I will break it down. I have never found an inside the waistband holster that I was comfortable with so you not find any here.

Cool to cold weather-I usually carry a glock 23 or an XDS .45 in a desantis scabbard holster. I prefer the glock 23 for capacity reasons. Worn on the belt at about my 5 o clock and I've never been uncomfortable carrying either.

warm to hot weather- Either a Glock 43 or a Charter Arms Bulldog undercover pocket carried in a viridian pocket holster. Warm weather tend to have me wearing cargo shorts or cargo pants. In this case these are my go firearms solely for concealability. Both are reliable and easily drop in a pocket.

These have all worked for me.

Try BEFORE you buy!

What is your background with modern handguns?

Get some serious training. I recommend Gunsite in Az.

I'm a multi-class alumni, and Gunsite is the best.

Bring enough gun......

I say that as a survivor of 2, SD shootings.

Also, get SD shooting insurance-Look at NRA.

OLG

As a rule,  I carry as much gun as I can hide.  If I can hide it, I carry a 1911 or a large bore revolver.  If I can't, then I carry something smaller.

In other words, it depends.

Depends on what I can wear without standing out like a Sherman button at a Georgia picnic.  That is a major deciding factor on how well I can conceal a gun.

Depends on where I am going and what I will be doing when I get there. Sitting or standing around is easier than moving bending and squatting.

being on the Gulf Coast I have to consider I pretty much live in shorts and T-shirt 11 months of the year

at 71 with bad knees, back, well let's face it:  most everything I found I can't handle weight no matter where I carry.

my two LTC choices are a S&W Scandium 5-shot .357 carried with .38 Sp loads.  with a pocket holster it will fit nicely in shorts' pocket.  Have a belt holster that is used when I wear a regular shirt over my t-shirt and outside my shorts.

When I am in drawstring gym shorts I will have a Beretta Bearcat with stingers--not what I would really like but weight against the drawstring is minimal and would rather not get arrested for indecent exposure.  Here I'm mostly hoping the sound of the shot will be the biggest deterrent :) 

When I was a police officer, I carried either a .45 automatic or a .45 or .44 revolver in a duty rig. My back-up was a .38 special Colt Cobra (lightweight frame) in an ankle holster. Off duty, I carried the same handgun. Now that I'm retired, I pocket carry an older Colt Agent .38 special. I wear cargo trousers and I have a speedloader in a cargo pocket.

Here is one of  the most important issues: carry the most powerful  handgun that you WILL carry every day and that you can control. A .44 Magnum does no good if it is sitting in  your safe at home when you need it. The second important issue is: do you have the resolve to use that sidearm?

I've carried a ported 2 inch 6 round 357 for quite a few years. I just bought a S&W Bodyguard 380. I haven't carried it yet because I haven't had the weather to spend time at the range. I tend to favor a revolver mainly because revolvers don't stove pipe empty's. I did carry a 1911, or a S&W 40 for a few years until I bought this ported 357.

Anything is better than nothing, but with compact 9's being so small nowadays, it's hard to justify a smaller caliber. I bought a Kimber Solo a few years ago that ended up being little more than an expensive, shiny turd. Eleven days later, I bought a Kahr CM9. The Kahr works with everything. The Kimber didn't work with anything. I recently re-discovered the Kimber in the back of the safe and sent it in for repair. They said the frame was "out of spec", fitted a new frame and sent it back, but I haven't shot it yet.

6 hours ago, Blast Masterson said:

r#1 is a gun you will carry all the time.

I gun on your nightstand does no good at Walmart.

Everyone has their favorite gun, but that gun is not always the best choice. My favorite gun is a Browning .25. Not because of it's performance, but because it goes with me anywhere I want (even to the swimming pool)! I was a Federal Drug Agent and not only did I own a Browning, I was allowed to carry one, issued to me for duty.

They made me qualify on the FBI Combat Pistol Course back when the standard service weapon was a Smith, Mdl 12, 2", .38. and I managed.

A lot will laugh at this gun, but I used it on several occasions (across three continents) and it worked just fine. My first case as a new Special Agent was a guy shot by his girlfriend with a .25. He was not in very good shape to talk to me after the incident. You are not likely going to be carrying to enforce the law and take out bad guys. You need something to protect you and yours. Your not going to get the drop on a robber with a Glock in hand (no matter how good you are at CAS).

My other carry gun is a .40 cal.

It mostly takes up residents in my car (I travel a lot for work). Anyone in my State can carry a pistol in their car (w/o CCW) and I need something else out on the road.

You may want more than one tool for the job... 

As a police officer I carried a Baby Browning as a back up gun for over 30 years. I replaced it with an LCP for carry when I retired but the Baby is never far away

I carry the largest caliber with highest capacity that I can comfortably 24x7 except  during my annual spring bath.

If it's too heavy, frames too big, uncomfortable to carry, it's useless cause you won't have it when you need it.  Rather than depend on onegun, I have several.  Just depends on the circumstances.  Hot weather, little concealment, I carry a Beretta Pico .380..  I carry it in a pocket.  If I can wear a sweat shirt or jacket, I carry a Kimber Compact 1911 in .45 ACP in a belt mounted thumb break holster.  If I can carry a duffle bag or backpack, I'll carry a full size 1911 or Sig P220.    

Like everyone else has stated, what you choose to carry is a matter of choice and what feels best to you. I carry my Kimber ultra in a fanny pack. Because I wear shorts most of the year, and I have a bit more around the middle than I should, it does not weigh my pants down as does either an inside or outside the waistband holster. Works best for me.

21 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Try BEFORE you buy!

What is your background with modern handguns?

Get some serious training. I recommend Gunsite in Az.

I'm a multi-class alumni, and Gunsite is the best.

Bring enough gun......

I say that as a survivor of 2, SD shootings.

Also, get SD shooting insurance-Look at NRA.

OLG

OLG:

I currently have, and shoot at the local range, a S&W 357, Taurus Ultra-lite 38 and a S&W Bodyguard 380.

I have been checking out the local IDPA for my wife and I to join.

21 hours ago, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

As a rule,  I carry as much gun as I can hide.  If I can hide it, I carry a 1911 or a large bore revolver.  If I can't, then I carry something smaller.

In other words, it depends.

Depends on what I can wear without standing out like a Sherman button at a Georgia picnic.  That is a major deciding factor on how well I can conceal a gun.

Depends on where I am going and what I will be doing when I get there. Sitting or standing around is easier than moving bending and squatting.

John,

I'm primarily looking for something that I can wear anytime I go outside the house, driving in a car, walking down the street, and mostly sitting at a computer at work.

Most of the year, it's short sleeve shirt with long pants (rarely shorts), and therefore the tendency to look at an ankle holster.

I would prefer to get a full size; however, that is why the post was made to get an idea of what others are doing.

KIT COOL,

The selection is so many,  you'll burn a lot of brain cells thinking about it and confusing yeowndangself.

Think about your options:

you can carry a nice Sig or GSG 1911 in .22 that holds 10 rounds.   With either pistol, you can punch 10 holes in a pie plate in a VERY SHORT amount of time.   If those 10 holes happen to be of the fleshly nature, somebody is gonna feel awful bad in a matter of 3 seconds.

Practicing with the .22 is fun and affordable at this time.

On the other hand, you can get a different gun/caliber, like a 9mm, and get off your shots quickly but only hit the pie plate a couple times.

With proper practice, you can be proficient but the cost of practice increases.

And as you go up in caliber or power, it probably won't take 10 shots to 'secure' your space, if you know what I mean, unless you miss the 'pie plate' every time.

On a side note, I have 2 nice and dependable smaller .22 auto's that I really like  (although I don't carry them as my main CC firearm).

One is the S&W Compact .22       This a dandy pistol with DA/SA capabilities.   The mag holds 10 rounds.

The other one is the Browning 7/8" scale 1911 in .22    This pistol also holds 10 rounds.  It is SA only, just like other 1911 style pistols.

Both of these are lightweight, in comparison to other pistols.   I normally only carry these in my pocket when I'm out on my mower.

But their reliability is comforting to have, should I need something for protection.

Weigh your options, determine your capabilities, etc..... then decide on your best choice.

Good luck.

..........Widder

• Size: Regulation, compact, subcompact.  J-frame. Alloy frame with concealed hammer. Crimson Trace grips. 
  • Ammo: 9mm, 45acp, other. 38 special, Hornady Critical Defense. 
  • Any other considerations to take. Training and practice, practice, practice. 

When the fit hits the shan, you will not be thinking. Training and muscle memory will save your life. 

2 hours ago, Father Kit Cool Gun Garth said:

John,

I'm primarily looking for something that I can wear anytime I go outside the house, driving in a car, walking down the street, and mostly sitting at a computer at work.

Most of the year, it's short sleeve shirt with long pants (rarely shorts), and therefore the tendency to look at an ankle holster.

I would prefer to get a full size; however, that is why the post was made to get an idea of what others are doing.

How to you draw from an ankle holster under fire? Even as a young martial artist dancing around on one leg trying to hold your pants leg up with one hand while drawing  with the other without being under fire would have been difficult. Moving to cover while kneeling down sure won't work either

6 minutes ago, Henry T Harrison said:

How to you draw from an ankle holster under fire? Even as a young martial artist dancing around on one leg trying to hold your pants leg up with one hand while drawing  with the other without being under fire would have been difficult. Moving to cover while kneeling down sure won't work either

Henry:

And thus the purpose of this forum, to educate others, gathered from the experience of others.

You can research the Internet all you want, but life experiences are the best.

Thank GOD that I have never been put in a SD mode; however, with the types of shootings going on, one must face the possibility that it could happen in your own workplace.

Therefore my main thoughts on the ankle holster are these:

1. Out of the way for normal everyday activities;
  2. Since wearing long pants 100% of the time, always concealed;
  3. More easily reachable in a sitting position, say in a chair at the office;
  4. Same if driving a vehicle (I have problems just getting my cell phone out of it's holster while seat-belted);
  5. I almost never wear a jacket, and my shirts are tucked into my pants. (I know doesn't eliminate the IWB).
  6. Eventually could become the back-up.

I appreciate all the comments, so keep them coming.

Hopefully others who have their CCP will be reading these posts as well.

Archived