SASS Wire Forum

Concealed Carry Firearm Questions

My "always carry" gun is a Kel-Tek P32 in a DeSantis holster.  When I can conceal it I carry a S&W M&P Shield in an Alien Gear IWB holster.  Both of these have the major drawback of being inaccessible when I am sitting down or in an automobile.  As a result, I am looking into a horizontal draw shoulder holster.  It's big disadvantage will be concealability when it is too hot for a jacket.

Duffield

I wear some kind of a sport coat mostly year 'round.  My wife jokes that I am the only man in Walmart or Sam's Club wearing a sport coat.  It is the geezer's equivalent of Batman's utility belt: wallet in left inside breast pocket, cell phone inside right breast pocket, car keys and speed loader in left outside pocket, J-Frame .38 with Crimson Trace grip in an Uncle Mike's #3 holster in right outside pocket.  Swiss Army knife and coins in my pants.

I don't know if this is a good system or not.  I have never had to use it, hope I don't.  But I can grasp the revolver and the speed loader anytime I want and it looks like I'm just keeping my hands warm in my coat pockets.  I'm satisfied at the moment.

She has an identical J-Frame .38 with Crimson Trace grips in her purse.  If we have to swap guns for any reason, like one of us goes down in a fight, we don't have to think about mechanical differences.

I won't argue with those who want more rounds.  If I lived where they do, I might do as they do.

It is nice to have options.  Carry something.  If you decide you don't like it, make a change.  Hitting a home run with your first swing is kinda rare.

2 hours ago, Duffield, SASS #23454 said:

My "always carry" gun is a Kel-Tek P32 in a DeSantis holster.  When I can conceal it I carry a S&W M&P Shield in an Alien Gear IWB holster.  Both of these have the major drawback of being inaccessible when I am sitting down or in an automobile.  As a result, I am looking into a horizontal draw shoulder holster.  It's big disadvantage will be concealability when it is too hot for a jacket.

Duffield

Duffield, I worked quite a bit in Detroit for a couple years, wearing a suit.  I picked up a Carjacker Crossdraw for my Sig P220 from:  http://www.andrewsleather.com/traditional.htm  Worked like a charm.  Comfortable to ride in a car or truck, easily accessible, and easy to hide under a suit coat.

11 hours ago, Father Kit Cool Gun Garth said:

John,

I'm primarily looking for something that I can wear anytime I go outside the house, driving in a car, walking down the street, and mostly sitting at a computer at work.

Most of the year, it's short sleeve shirt with long pants (rarely shorts), and therefore the tendency to look at an ankle holster.

I would prefer to get a full size; however, that is why the post was made to get an idea of what others are doing.

Not a fan of ankle carry.  I stand up too much for them to be of use.  You can't get any further from your hand and keep it on your body.

For me, ankle carry is the next best thing to being unarmed.  If you sit a lot, it will work but how do you get to it from a standing position?  The only options are hopping on one foot or taking a knee.  Neither one sounds like a good idea to me.

For what it is worth...

I have two ..a S&W Model 60 .38/257 normally carry it with .38 +Ps defense ammunition since .357 could likely over penetrate, the other is a S&W Shield in .45 ACP...easy to conceal light weight has a safety if you choose to use it (which I do) when there is a round in the chamber or not use it if you choose not to...Smith came up with a good design in that I find that even though it is compact the recoil is easily manageable.. disadvantage of the model 60 is is is 5 shot...Shield is six plus one..

Mag. capacity is subject to your views and where you live....I tend to keep capacity within "compliance" limits in the event  of another magazine ban...but that's just me 

me.

TInpan McGurk 

I wish to thank everyone, SO FAR, for their take on the Concealed Weapons of their choice and where they like to place the firearm.

I understand the advantage of revolvers versus semi-autos in the removal of jamming issues and certainly getting a hammerless revolver to eliminate the accidental cocking of the hammer when pulling the weapon out.

The disadvantage of the revolver is the capacity issue (5 or 6) vs 10+ in a magazine. Reloading is also a plus with the semi-autos.

I hope to never get involved in an actual gun battle, or have the need for extra ammo, just the security of knowing I could protect myself and my wife if the situation arose.

Truth be known, I would feel more secure wearing my CAS gun belt and the extra ammo it carries along with my Ruger Vaqueros under a jacket.

I've been carrying a full size 1911 in .45ACP for years in and Old Faithful IWB holster.

As stated above, pretty easy to conceal in cooler weather. But once the t-shirts and shorts come out, it gets a bit problematic hiding that thing. Oversize t-shirts and the like only go so far. Also, weight becomes and issue with an 8-round mag of 230gr XTP and one in the pipe. Add a couple extra mags on the opposite side to balance out and you notice it at the end of the day.

I am a Springfield fan, my 1911A1 is such, more due to the fact that they just fit my hand best. For me, Glocks are not comfortable and I firmly believe the best gun to have is the one that fits you best.

My wife carries a Springfield XD Mod 2, 4" in 9mm. It fits her hand best and she shoots it VERY well.

I am looking for my next CC gun, probably in 9mm. Still trying to make a decision between single stack or double stack.

up until recently I carried a Bersa thunder in 380 because of the size.  I can't find a comfortable way to carry on my belt, so I opted for pocket carry.  Recently I picked up a ruger security 9.  It's a smidge larger than the bersa, but it's still small enough to fit in my pockets.  Plus, it's a 9mm (vs .380) and holds 15 rounds (vs 7). 

They have 'drills' for clearing a FTF in a semiauto. You are taught them in the 'schools'. Also why you carry at least 1 reload.........

Pretty hard to clear a revolver when powder builds up under the the extractor 'star' and the cyl doesn't want to rotate.

YES, I saw this happen at Gunsite many years ago. I have also seen a revolver's cyl stop break, and the cyl would not index.

Bottom line-ANY DANG THING CAN AND WELL BREAK.

If semi autos are NOT that unreliable-Why does every military and 99.999999% of police forces around the globe carry'em?

OLG

31 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

If semi autos are that unreliable-Why does every military and 99.999999% of police forces around the globe carry'em?

OLG

15 - 17+1 round capacity vs. 6

10 hours ago, Lost Trail said:

I've been carrying a full size 1911 in .45ACP for years in and Old Faithful IWB holster.

As stated above, pretty easy to conceal in cooler weather. But once the t-shirts and shorts come out, it gets a bit problematic hiding that thing. Oversize t-shirts and the like only go so far. Also, weight becomes and issue with an 8-round mag of 230gr XTP and one in the pipe. Add a couple extra mags on the opposite side to balance out and you notice it at the end of the day.

I am a Springfield fan, my 1911A1 is such, more due to the fact that they just fit my hand best. For me, Glocks are not comfortable and I firmly believe the best gun to have is the one that fits you best.

My wife carries a Springfield XD Mod 2, 4" in 9mm. It fits her hand best and she shoots it VERY well.

I am looking for my next CC gun, probably in 9mm. Still trying to make a decision between single stack or double stack.

I prefer single stack for cc. Statistics for citizens shootings indicate mag capacity is rarely a factor.

Revolver vs Pistol...1911 vs whatever... Who cares?  Carry what you like and what you are competent and confident with.

Like the music teacher said "How do you get to Carnegie Hall? Practice, practice, practice."

I think of this as a "Horses for courses" kind of thing.

For decades I carried the 1911 in either an IWB or Pancake holster, along with two spare nags.

Then I got older and heavier, and switched to the Hi-Power or the Kahr K9 in 9mm.

Then I switched to the PPk or the G43.

I have ankle holsters for when I'm going to be in the car driving long distances, as that style rig is useful

when you're seated all day.  I wear an empty belt slide holster then, so I can transfer it once I exit the vehicle.

I have under the shirt tee-shirt holsters for when I need to be in a coat and tie environment but might have to go coat-off.

My absolutely preferred carry is a pancake holster at 4 o'clock, and the G43 in 9mm works best so far.  My PPk is a "too bloody hot

for any clothing" carry gun these days.  I have kydex and horsehide IWB holsters, they make me uncomfortable, but I've used them

for a day and tolerated it.

There are a lot of holsters out there, and it is not wrong to have several, but you really need to spend time with each one,

and on the day you chose a specific rig, due to clothing demands, you should spend a few minutes or more retraining your muscles

by drawing an unloaded gun a bunch of times, before loading it and holstering it.

I'm content with the 9mm, given that there is no good way to carry a .30-06, and as much as I prefer the .45 for so many reasons,

I can train with the 9mm all the time, affordably, and my local PD seems to have confidence in it as well.

There are pundits who will tell you - pick the gun, then pick the holster/clothes. That's not bad advice, but sometimes the

clothes drive the gun/holster choices too.  Adapt, improvise, and succeed.

SC

Most studies will show modern 9mm ammo/bullets to be just as effective as 45 acp, with less recoil, more controllability, and better shot placement had with it for most people.  Cheaper ammo as well.

If you shoot a lot a lot of semi autos, a j frame revolver trigger feels very different so I’d try to go with what trigger works best.

i love 1911s...used to hate plastic pistols.  Bought a glock in 10mm and realized it wasn’t bad.  Followed it with a glock 19 and very nice balance of a gun.  Also have glock 43 which is a very nice carry gun.  Glocks are fairly cheap compared to a 1911 so don’t feel bad ever subjecting them to wear and tear.  Have also had a Smith wesson shield and sig 938.  Like glock best.

something else to consider.  Would you carry with a round in the chamber?  Some don’t feel comfortable doing that with handguns without safety, like a glock.   I think they have a term Glock Leg for people that shoot them selves in the leg drawing.  If concerns carrying loaded suggest something with a manual safety because you want to be able to carry with a round chambered in my opinion.

night sights to me are important as well.  Glock 43 checks a lot of boxes in a slim controllable package that has been 100% reliable.  If you want a mini 1911...a sig 938 might be worth looking at for the manual safety.  CZ PCR is one people seem to like as well but never had one.

Ever consider a Desert Eagle in an ankle holster?

j.k. :D

6 hours ago, JD Lud said:

Most studies will show modern 9mm ammo/bullets to be just as effective as 45 acp, with less recoil, more controllability, and better shot placement had with it for most people.  Cheaper ammo as well.

If you shoot a lot a lot of semi autos, a j frame revolver trigger feels very different so I’d try to go with what trigger works best.

i love 1911s...used to hate plastic pistols.  Bought a glock in 10mm and realized it wasn’t bad.  Followed it with a glock 19 and very nice balance of a gun.  Also have glock 43 which is a very nice carry gun.  Glocks are fairly cheap compared to a 1911 so don’t feel bad ever subjecting them to wear and tear.  Have also had a Smith wesson shield and sig 938.  Like glock best.

something else to consider.  Would you carry with a round in the chamber?  Some don’t feel comfortable doing that with handguns without safety, like a glock.   I think they have a term Glock Leg for people that shoot them selves in the leg drawing.  If concerns carrying loaded suggest something with a manual safety because you want to be able to carry with a round chambered in my opinion.

night sights to me are important as well.  Glock 43 checks a lot of boxes in a slim controllable package that has been 100% reliable.  If you want a mini 1911...a sig 938 might be worth looking at for the manual safety.  CZ PCR is one people seem to like as well but never had one.

Those so called studies are depending on the 9mm to expand. The .45acp doesn't have that problem. ^_^

I you won't carry a auto in a 'ready to go condition', then carry a revolver. If one really thinks they will have the time to chamber a round in any SD event. That person is a fool, and watches to much TV............

OLG

33 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Those so called studies are depending on the 9mm to expand. The .45acp doesn't have that problem. ^_^

I you won't carry a auto in a 'ready to go condition', then carry a revolver. If one really thinks they will have the time to chamber a round in any SD event. That person is a fool, and watches to much TV............

OLG

Agreed B)

I carried anything from a 1911 in .45, a Browning HiPower 9mm or a 4 inch S&W Model 19 in .357 Mag when I was younger, In the last 5 years or so I've been carrying  either a Kahr K-9 or a Ruger SR9c in 9mm. I prefer the SR9c because with the compact magazines it holds 10 +1 and with the full size magazine and adapter it will carry 17+1 (in free America only) Still with 2 spare magazines I have 31 rounds of +P+ 115gr JHP. It is light, compact, accurate and the trigger is pretty good for a factory gun.

The only time other than what was required by Uncle Sam that I ever carried with the thought of imminent combat was when I thought I was going to be in the middle of a period of "civil unrest". The only handgun I owned was a Ruger P90. I stuck it in the hip pocket of my jeans and put my wallet between the gun and the outside of the pocket. The unrest was much ado about nothing but I was really happy to have that gun along.

Sold the P90 when I discovered heavy caliber revolvers.

6 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

OLG

Well, not necessarily a fool, but certainly not well trained or experienced.

Archived