SASS Wire Forum

Stoeger: Now a Wall Hanger?

I previously posted about the broken stock on my Stoeger coach shotgun. It cracked and splintered right where it attaches to the back of the frame.

After a few calls and hints and contacts from pards here on the Wire (Thanks, by the way), I got a call from Benelli USA with an ok to send my shotgun in for a new stock to be fit.

After a few weeks, I rec'd a call from the gunsmith at Benelli. He was unable to do any work on the shotgun because it has been “overworked” with it's cowboy action job tune-up. Breachblock, lugs, headspace, chambers, etc are “out of spec” due to too much metal removed. He would not give it a new stock.

He sent it back to me with the barrels labeled “Unsafe to Shoot”.

However, I've been shooting this shotgun this way for a couple of years (with our low-power loads) without problems until the stock cracked. Never a problem.

That leaves me a very unhappy cowboy with a wallhanger?

Or safe with lowpower and/or BP loads?

I guess I could still use it shooting blanks in Cowboy Mounted Shooting (using an insert to accept 45 Coklt blanks) or sell it to a re-enactor

I would Image you would get the same response if'n you had sent a SKB or Browning back to the respected manufacturer gun repair shop with fun Cowboy Race Ready action jobs.

It is a legal liability issue for them. Easier and safer for them to do what they did (document it unsafe when it left their shop)

Listen to the gun smith. If he says it's unsafe to shoot, Benelli is off the hook if anything goes wrong. Stoegers are not expensive guns, get another one. Keep it as a wall hanger. If it's sold and someone else has a problem with it it may come back to you. Not worth the aggravation or risk. Besides, you still don't have a stock for it.

Surprises me people would believe they could return a modified firearm to a factory repair center to have work done. If you have polished anything, filed anything or replaced components with non factory parts there is no way a Co. can stand behind you changes to their product.

The shotgun no longer meets their specifications may not really mean it is unsafe. Have a local smith check it with a headspace gauge.

Sooner or later you may find a stalk.

It would take a real heavy amount of damage to a Stoeger stock to make it so it can't be accra-glassed, pinned and reinforced back into action.

But, a good replacement gun may be cheaper and certainly faster to get into action.

Good luck, GJ

I had a Stoeger a few years back that did the same thing, big piece splintered off next to the "barrel opener switch." It was sent back to the Stoeger for a warranty replacement for the stock and it was sent back with writing on the barrel "unsafe to shoot." It had an action job by a local gunsmith.

The gunsmith pinned and reinforced the stock and bedded it and it all of a sudden was "safe to shoot." Amazing!

Kajun

One of my SKBs was doing the same thing. The left side split behind the receiver split. Then the right side. Then one match I hit the opening lever and when the barrels opened the forearm wood fell on the ground. It had split right down the middle into two nice pieces. Got tired of messing with it and glass bedded the whole thing. Haven't had a problem since. So it is glued, pinned and glass bedded but it is holding up fine now.

I would contact a good local gunsmith and ask him the fix the stock, unless you can glue and pin it yourself.

Figure a new stock is worth at least $150 or so. New Stoegers are going for about $425? Here's one with a buy it now price of $319, minor chip out of wood right where they all break. Pull the stock, sell the rest as parts. 28 inch barrels would go for $100 easy. All the small parts add up quick. Forearm's probably worth $50 to $75 with hardware? Be into the stock for very little, or keep the entire gun and do some quail hunting with it!

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=555534170

Dusty

I don't know if anybody posted this but I had the same problem on my Stoeger and I fixed it by glue and pins but it broke again. I think the problem with the Stoegers is the threaded block where

the through bolt screws into to hold the butt on does not contact anything in the stock. I dug the wood out on the sides and rear of block and glass bedded the stock there. Now when you tighten

the stock bolt it doesn't come loose and the block takes the recoil. I have shot mine like that for at least 4 years and it is still going strong. I only shoot low power shells I load myself never shot

a store bought shell since I started SASS, don't know how it would take off the shelf shells. I bought another Stoeger for a backup but still don't need it. I have all the shotguns I will probably

need until I quit SASS. Charlie

"Stoegers are only wall hangers in the first place?? BULL!!! Don't know what sorta' elitist crap gun you shoot, but I have been shooting the same Stoeger for over 10 yrs now, and besides needing cleaning occasionally, it has NEVER failed me, nor has the stock broke. And, yes, it has had "cowboy" work done on it.

Al

I thought some company before Stoeger like "Boita" or something like that..

Built the same shotgun and then started making the Stoeger.. kinda just rebranded?

I'm sure some cowpoke on the wire has the exact info...

Maybe contact them for a replacement stock??

Rance ;)

Thinkin' there's is a shop down around Sparta Illinois area that is a Stoeger Gun Repair shop..

Again.. don't know the city or name of the business..

Yep, Rance, Boita is the Brazilian company that makes those Stoeger guns. Sometimes the parts vendors have a Boita labeled stock that fits.

A shotgun gunsmith around Sparta could be Wright's in Pinckneyville. http://www.wrightsgunsmiths.com/index.html I don't recall them working on Stoegers, though. Mostly higher end competition trap and skeet guns; and Model 12s.

Good luck, GJ

you might give Ahlman's gun shop in MN a call, they have a room full of stocks,, you mite get lucky

"Stoegers are only wall hangers in the first place?? BULL!!! Don't know what sorta' elitist crap gun you shoot, but I have been shooting the same Stoeger for over 10 yrs now, and besides needing cleaning occasionally, it has NEVER failed me, nor has the stock broke. And, yes, it has had "cowboy" work done on it.

Al

Glad you set him straight on that. Mine has been great for 10 years plus. Got a backup 2 years ago for just in case and she is still a safe Queen !!!!!

Go find a used stoger in the same model as yours. swap the stock over, job done. You have your race shotgun back up and running.

Or

Take your stock to a woodworker and have them fix it for you. Shouldn't be to tough if its wood.

No need to buy another new gun and get it all slicked up again just to blow up another stock down the road. Then go through all that pain again.

Hard to believe with all the broken Stoeger stocks that a stockmaker isn't cranking them out.

Looks like many other types have offering of nice walnut stocks from $55.00 & up.

Then there are the $150 for a send me yours - I'll make one people.

Hard to believe with all the broken Stoeger stocks that a stockmaker isn't cranking them out.

Looks like many other types have offering of nice walnut stocks from $55.00 & up.

A semi inletted stock will run $150.00. Forestock will run around $75.00.

If you can buy one for $50.00 you aren't getting much except for the same crappy sapwood stock that came with it.

Ace,

No offense, but I think you missed my point.

A semi inletted stock will run $150.00. Forestock will run around $75.00.

If you can buy one for $50.00 you aren't getting much except for the same crappy sapwood stock that came with it.

I never said there was a $50 Stoeger stock.

I said there doesn't seem to be anyone selling replacement Stoger stocks.

I meant that there seem to be other new made walnut stocks for other makes/types of guns being sold in the price range of $55 & up.

Yes, I did say there are people who will make a copy of a stock for $150.

I previously posted about the broken stock on my Stoeger coach shotgun. It cracked and splintered right where it attaches to the back of the frame.

After a few calls and hints and contacts from pards here on the Wire (Thanks, by the way), I got a call from Benelli USA with an ok to send my shotgun in for a new stock to be fit.

After a few weeks, I rec'd a call from the gunsmith at Benelli. He was unable to do any work on the shotgun because it has been “overworked” with it's cowboy action job tune-up. Breachblock, lugs, headspace, chambers, etc are “out of spec” due to too much metal removed. He would not give it a new stock.

He sent it back to me with the barrels labeled “Unsafe to Shoot”.

However, I've been shooting this shotgun this way for a couple of years (with our low-power loads) without problems until the stock cracked. Never a problem.

That leaves me a very unhappy cowboy with a wallhanger?

Or safe with lowpower and/or BP loads?

I guess I could still use it shooting blanks in Cowboy Mounted Shooting (using an insert to accept 45 Coklt blanks) or sell it to a re-enactor

If you have all the pieces, I am sure it can be repaired so it does not fail again.

Dusty,

If the gun still works as advertised, you don't have a wall hanger. Just a bit of a repair job. If there are several pieces, try fit until you know in what order they need to be re-installed. Stocks are hard to clamp, so use good tape. Mix up some epoxy (NOT the 5 minute kind) and mix in a little saw dust, put the stock back together one piece at a time. When you get all the wood glued back together,

follow Cheatin Charlie's lead and Glass Bed the stock to the action.

Stoger stocks come in two varieties. Those that break and those that never break. Since you have one that has broken, it is unsupported in some key areas of the action. Glass Bed it with copious amounts of releasing agent. It may look "Wounded" when you finish, but hey, call it "patina."

Coffinmaker

Dusty,

If the gun still works as advertised, you don't have a wall hanger. Just a bit of a repair job. If there are several pieces, try fit until you know in what order they need to be re-installed. Stocks are hard to clamp, so use good tape. Mix up some epoxy (NOT the 5 minute kind) and mix in a little saw dust, put the stock back together one piece at a time. When you get all the wood glued back together,

follow Cheatin Charlie's lead and Glass Bed the stock to the action.

Stoger stocks come in two varieties. Those that break and those that never break. Since you have one that has broken, it is unsupported in some key areas of the action. Glass Bed it with copious amounts of releasing agent. It may look "Wounded" when you finish, but hey, call it "patina."

Coffinmaker

Great advice here, only additional thing I would do is use some screws with washers to act as clamps. Predrill where you insert screws. Once everything is dry use a dremel and cut the head off the screws. Remove the washers clean up the remaining metal stud. You end up with a small metal shiny spots but no biggy.

I got this Remington 1889 at a bargain price because buttstock was broken right through the lock area. But it was a clean break with nothing missing. I added three oak pins inside the break and held it all together with Brownells Acraglas. I don't think I've ever had Acraglas to fail.

I had a Stoeger that I bought from a fellow shooter. It had an action job done on it, don't know by who. It would just flop open. I used it for a while then Kay Sadeeya used it when she started shooting. After about 2 years, I noticed the front barrel lug was cracked. Apparently the light springs didn't cushion the barrel enough when it flopped open. I immediately bought Kay a JM Baikal to replace it. In talking to some other shooters, they suggested I contact Stoeger & see if they would replace it. I figured what the hell, the worst they could do was say no.

I took pictures of the cracked lug, sent them to Benelli. They had me send it to them, they reviewed it & sent me a new gun. Go figure.

Holler

Great advice here, only additional thing I would do is use some screws with washers to act as clamps. Predrill where you insert screws. Once everything is dry use a dremel and cut the head off the screws. Remove the washers clean up the remaining metal stud. You end up with a small metal shiny spots but no biggy.

The wood on Buttstocks does not crack in areas where SCREWS can be used. The wood is thin, unsupported, and of poor quality. In many cases the wood can be carefully reinforced with a 1/16 or smaller brass rod, but this depends on the area and the type of split, usually along the grain of the wood.

Glass bedding or slow set epoxy is another possible repair depending on the break.

In all cases, the reason for the break must addressed. The mount bolt that goes through the stock must be properly shimmed and or bedded to prevent excessive wood to metal contact along the side and top of the action.

Sometimes missing pieces of wood can be filled and profiled to the shape of the original stock.

If you care about what the end result looks like, then please don't take your stock to just any "woodworker". Find someone that loves your guns as much as he loves his own.

I would like to make one point, When the Manufacture stamped your barrels as "Unsafe to Shoot" they

also made note of the Ser. # of the gun ...

So now if the gun is shot and anything happens you can wind-up in a world of trouble, please do not

sell it as a shooter...

If I believe a gun coming through my shop is unsafe to shoot I make note of the date and time and Ser. # , and instruct the owner not to fire it !!! I also mark it as unsafe in a discreet manner unless it has historical value ...

But unlike the factory I see many safely modified Cowboy guns , and a few that aren't, safe that is...

Jabez Cowboy

If someone already said this, I over looked it. If Benelli was ready to replace the stock do they not just sell it as a part for you do to it yourself? Realizing there would most likely be some fitting but there would be no matter what stock you may find. But the advice I've been reading about fixing it sounds very strong. I'd just go that route.

I get what they are saying but in this sport it would be a rare thing to find guns as they were as sent from the factory. All of mine have been touched one way or another. I know there would be good gunsmith jobs and bad ones and it's not their place to figure it out.

"Stoegers are only wall hangers in the first place"

Stupid quote of the day , if ever there was one. Mine has been running great for a long,long time. As have thousands of others in our game. wow.

Archived