SASS Wire Forum

Is this an illegal modification?

Three Foot Johnson

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting, to say the least.

Probably not an acceptable mod.

well, it's certainly not a target stock!

The definition of "Butt Ugly" on a lever rifle....

Are you going to change it?

I'll keep the stock, one way or another. I've got another original crescent butt Winchester stock that will work, as well as two other identical Rossi .44-40's.

Well lessee here...

Quotes from the book -

All parts may be smoothed, reprofiled, polished, deburred, or replaced provided they are not prohibited in these Covenants.

OK, it may or may not fall under "reprofiled" - a profile is the outline of an object and, as such, the profile hasn't been changed.

Checkering, carving, or laser engraving is allowed on fore-stocks, buttstocks, and revolver grips.

Yep, definitely been carved.

Grips or stocks of simulated or natural materials are acceptable provided they are not customized to constitute a "target" grip or stock. That is, they must be of the same basic shape as grips or stocks found on original firearms.

Not what anyone would consider a target stock, and definitely the same basic shape as an unmodified stock... except for the big hole. :lol:

I'd say, "It's legal as long as no one complains."

Definitely a conversation piece.

I have an idea that might make it look pretty neat. I'd have to have the stock though.

I'd wager it would be considered illegal due to substantially changing the weight of the stock, which for some folks might make the rifle faster to handle. It certainly is not an internal mod, and it is not an external modification that is spelled out in the rules, so that would make it illegal until approved by application to the ROC.

Just my take. Good luck, GJ

Shooters handbook page 3

Only the modifications referenced here as allowed are approved. All others are illegal.

Shooters Handbook page 5

STOCKS

Grips or stocks of simulated or natural materials are acceptable provided they are not customized to constitute a “target” grip or stock. That is, they must be of the same basic shape as grips or stocks found on original firearms.

Shooters handbook page 10

ANY EXTERNAL MODIFICATION TO ANY FIREARM NOT SPECIFICALLY REFERENCED IN THIS HANDBOOK IS EXPRESSLY PROHIBITED!

After looking at it for a few, that would make a nice place to store ammunition if you made an appropriately shaped box that fit in there.

Fill it in with some wood and a nice design and you'll have a one of a kind.

I was just thinking that as I read your post. Some kind of laser cut mountain or prairie scene, old town, herd of cattle..... That would be one crazy cool looking stock after finished.

After looking at it for a few, that would make a nice place to store ammunition if you made an appropriately shaped box that fit in there.

Hmmmm....ya may have something there. You can store all yore rifle reloads up there in a handy little box.

The stock is in the same "basic shape" as the original....it IS the original stock. All that was done to it was that some material was removed. It's just like coning out the chambers on a SxS....just removed a little material....same shape. :D :D :D

FWIW, I didn't do this, it was like this when I bought it. Illegal external mod or OK?

Rossi92_zps8814fb9e.jpg

It is NOT "reprofiling"

It is NOT the same "basic shape" as the original stock.

It is NOT an "internal" modification.

It is NOT an "embellishment".

It is NOT on the list of approved/allowed modifications.

I would strongly advise replacing it.

It is NOT "reprofiling"

But he could just put on a "long" butt cover and become "legal".... Rite?

I know plenty of people that shoot with these....

stockpic.jpg

covered by a Butt Cover.... and they're legal.

It is NOT "reprofiling"

Killjoy!!! ;)

Put a really long butt cover on it and nobody will notice.

That would be a cheekpiece if it covered all the cavity, and illegal.

That would be a cheekpiece if it covered all the cavity, and illegal.

I dont think so....

As long as its not "raised" and maintains the contour of the original buttstock a leather wrap is legal....

Heres what "the book" sez...........

"A piece of leather or similar natural material may be attached to the buttplate or butt stock.

This includes the “wrist”/grip portion of the buttstock

Grips or stocks of simulated or natural materials are acceptable provided they are not customized to constitute a “target” grip or stock.

That is, they must be of the same basic shape as grips or stocks found on original firearms."

Archived