SASS Wire Forum

Pistol reloads on the clock

Purly SASS # 57438

In the transistion from a single sixgun to two, full pistol reload stages were normal for folks that couldn't afford to run right out and buy a second pistol. And it's why the rules allow for a Frontiersman(woman) to stage a fully charged pistol on a prop or carry it allowing for some time savings, just have to cap it under the clock. Single round reloads are no real challenge, even for Frontiersmen, just charge the sixth chamber and carry a capper.

The "norm"? I hate to think of it in terms such as that, for the "norm" would consist of places that do it all the time and others that don't do it ever. "Rare" is also a relative term; is once out every 72 stages rare? I would think so. Is once out of every 6 stages? I would think not with that frequency. But, when does it become "common"? Alas, somewhere in-between I'm sure!

I have only had one mandatory pistol reload on the clock in five years. I have started shooting 1851s with five-shot R&D cylinders. My reaction to a stage reload would be Yosemite Sam impersonation. &%$#!( and ^%$#(&%#!!!!!

A neat sweep that I have seen is a 1-2-3-4-5-6 (one on one, two on two, etc.) shot with the two pistols and the rifle. Reload must be in an empty gun. This forces a reload in the shooter's choice of gun.

And if you are going to put in a pistol reload.

Please make it that a shooter can load it at anytime.

it goes much better if you can pull it. load one in the empty hole shut and go to shooting.

On the rifle. i prefer it to be. Shot xx many, THEN reload.

I've done it a few times. I prefer loading the rifle on the clock over the revolver.

When I shoot frontiersman, it worries me that I may get a chain fire by having an uncapped chamber containing powder and ball as I fire the other 5

Shooters using percussion revolvers do NOT have to fire the first 5 shots before capping the 6th chamber on a stage with a single-round reload...regardless of stage instructions to the contrary.

This is a SAFETY issue that overrides any other considerations.

If a particular stage requires a one shot reload, the sixth chamber of percussion revolvers may be charged at the bench and then capped "on the clock", either before the first round is fired or after the last round is fired.

SHB p. 21 / RO1 pp.15-16 / RO2 p.9

"Well...back in my day"...Nevermind, not gonna say it.

A single round reload is something that the "community" should do on a regular basis. A full pistol reload should be experienced at least once.

I remember a stage where 97 shooters could stoke their mag tubes. It was funny to watch folks not know how to pump the gun or not even know if their gun would load from the mag tube. :P

Fillmore

Doc Molar had one at the Indiana State a few years ago. The rifle reload is getting to be more and more common at state and regional shoots around the Midwest.

KK

Shooters using percussion revolvers do NOT have to fire the first 5 shots before capping the 6th chamber on a stage with a single-round reload...regardless of stage instructions to the contrary.

Exactly. I wouldn't wanna pop a cap intentionally with an open nipple over a loaded chamber in the gun.

Although we don't do them very often anymore, I always practice unloading the handgun as fast as I can every time I am at the unloading table. It draws comments from the unloading table officer like "Are you in a hurry!" :D

In the 14 years I've been shooting Cowboy, I've had to load one rd off the body in either a pistol or rifle at least a dozen or more times. I've had to reload a handgun with 5 rds at least 3 times, which really wasn't that bad. The worst reload I've ever had to do on the clock was firing 10 rds of rifle from the prone on a wooden "bed", then reload 10 rds and fire again from the wooden "bed". To say the least those competitors with physical limitations because of their age complained loudly for YEARS afterward. The match director never did it again.

Most people come to shoot and not have an exercise on how to reload massive quantities on the clock or engage in a memory exercise where your more worried about

getting a proceedural than your are about safety.

Most people come to shoot and not have an exercise on how to reload massive quantities on the clock or engage in a memory exercise where your more worried about

getting a proceedural than your are about safety.

From my experience, I think this is very true.

And from my experience, some of our shooters who have some movement restrictions seem NOT to mind some movements on stages, maybe going from side table to side table. But they hate those 'memory lesson' type stages where little insignificant details are placed into the stage scenerio knowing that a few folks will get 'nabbed'.

Just my opinion.

..........Widder

Although we don't do them very often anymore, I always practice unloading the handgun as fast as I can every time I am at the unloading table. It draws comments from the unloading table officer like "Are you in a hurry!" :D

The same can be done at the loading table.

Don't know how many times I have loaded my pistols and rifle and be done.

Before the person in front of me (who started before me) has not even got there

pistols loaded.

To have to sit through them having to unload and do a full pistol reload on the clock? :huh:

No Thanks.

My feet would be tired from standing around all day trying to get through that one stage. :(

We did enough of the single reloads in the pistols around 2000 that I practiced them routinely. In fact it was common enough for many people to modify their guns with free spin cylinders to pick up some extra time doing it. I haven't seen a pistol reload in 8 years and free spin cylinders seems to be almost a thing of the past as well........coincidence?

I love em. Gives me a chance to really get up on the competition.

I can't believe nobody has commented on this. :huh: One of the fastest men on the planet looking for an edge. ;)

I don't know if you are being serious or tongue in cheek, but do you think you really need another advantage over the 99.9% of us that aren't in your class? :lol: Congratulations on the new shotgun world record BTW.

We have the occasional rifle reloads at the clubs where I shoot and the NE Regional has had one, two of the last three years. I enjoy reloads and I do practice them (rifle), like Deuce I figure it gives me an edge (which unlike him, I can really use. :lol: )

I shoot Schofields like an earlier poster and haven't been able to use that "advantage" on a stage in quite a while.

As Chuckaroo said, load as fast as you can at the loading table, then unload empties as fast as possible at the unloading table. This will get one practiced up in the reloading part of the game. San Juan use to have reloads in his

top 10 shoot offs, they were a hoot.

LL'

I was gona comment earlier but I got sidelined by some phone calls from Santa Fe River Stan, Dang It Dan and Budlands Bud.

They were all wanting some speed tips from me on how to be more competitive. I told them not to shoot in any matches where there were any reloads on the clock..... :lol:

Keep em smokin Deuce. See ya down in GA.

..........Widder

No Deuce, it's supposed to slow down the fast guys......;)

If you have a small match then go for it, but if you want to make a slow day even slower, then do a pistol reload. I really don't think this adds to the fun factor. I would rather do other "cowboy" things on the clock that are kinda fun like flipping pancakes, throwing dynamite, etc.

I've done 'em where you start with one pistol empty and load on the clock. I've done 3-5 shot rifle reloads, never a full reload. But hey, I wouldn't mind that either.

Single round rifle reloads are common.

I like to do different things once in a while.

Possum

Bring them on Possum.Gives me a chance to drop more shells. Love the reloads.Time me with a SUNDIAL.

I've done exactly one pistol reload in 11 years during a regular match. A whole bunch during shootoffs but I don't count those. But it's something I flex into my practice at least twice a month.

There use to be lots of full pistol reloads. People didn't like it so good match directors got rid of them. I haven't seen a full pistol reload in years. Once in a great while there is a one round reload so you just have to put a round in the already empty chamber.

Is not reason we all now have 2 pistols to eliminate the 5 rd reload where schofields rule colts and clones and RNVs come in second as they index where brass can be ejected and Vaqueros place a distant third because you need to develop the proper feel to prevent having to go around the cylinder due to passing the on load spot?

perhaps a fill the empty hole reload is acceptable.

No Deuce, it's supposed to slow down the fast guys...... ;)

If you have a small match then go for it, but if you want to make a slow day even slower, then do a pistol reload. I really don't think this adds to the fun factor. I would rather do other "cowboy" things on the clock that are kinda fun like flipping pancakes, throwing dynamite, etc.

ON THE CLOCK :o .......what are you thinkin :angry: ..........why that just wouldn't be fair :D

We do have reloads on the clock sometimes pistols sometimes rifle. Usually just one reload but we have had up to 3.

We also will start with a bucket in hand, saddlebags, wrap the reigns arount the hitching rail etc. etc....

All in all stuff to a variety and fun.

Frenchy

An Advantage -

Yup, the very top shooters REALLY gain an advantage on such stages.

In the 90's and very early 2000's, we used to do fully pistol reloads once in a while when I started. I remember watching Single Action Jackson on one as I timed him. The shells appeared to jump out of his cylinder. Then he grabbed "a handful" and they appeared to dive into the cylinder like in a cartoon movie. It was amazing.

They used to have reloads on some of the "top gun" shoot outs. At one match, they did a full pistol reload. Single Action won that shoot off by over 10 seconds.

Normal, non-aliens :D

Now for nearly all the rest of us, it takes a lot of time and more fumbling. It is comical to watch at first. Then it really gets to be long as the stage wears on. I can see why folks no longer do it if they have very many shooters at all. It is hard to match the stage design to avoid backing up folks - specially if you shoot over 4 stages.

All day stages

I remember one stage where we had to get our rifle and shotgun shells out of a water trough. Then load the rifle before we shot. I never got to shoot that stage because I had a 2 hour drive home. And after waiting almost 2 1/2 hours, I gave up and went home.

A single pistol reload is a much better option and only takes most folks 5 - 10 seconds extra.

Movement - yes.

Weird positions . .

As to movement, I and most folks like it. But requiring folks to lay down and shoot the rifle during the stage, not much. With bad backs, bad knees, having folks help them up and down on (or off) the clock, etc it really slows things down. And one you lay down, you cannot cycle your rifle normally - a bolt action is actually faster for most folks then.

Lanny Basham says to think "I do well when (fill in the blank) a stage has pistol reloads."

Meditation phrase: I am the world's greatest pistol reloader.....ummmmmmmmm. :)

The best I've ever seen was at the Last Stand (Florida State) in 2007. I don't remember the details, but there was a problem with Badlands Drifter's pistol and rather than declare a malfunction, he dumped the rounds and reloaded it...as I and the rest of the posse stood and watched in awe. It changed my paradigm.

PWB,

Thank you!

The one time that I had to do it using my ROAs, I asked what do I do with percussions, and was told to load 6 and cap 5 at the loading table. I thought a big UGH to myself; but did as I was told. Luckily it turned out ok. As I head into a new season, I'll carry that bit of information with me should I encounter the situation again.

Lanny Basham says to think "I do well when (fill in the blank) a stage has pistol reloads."

Meditation phrase: I am the world's greatest pistol reloader.....ummmmmmmmm. :)

The best I've ever seen was at the Last Stand (Florida State) in 2007. I don't remember the details, but there was a problem with Badlands Drifter's pistol and rather than declare a malfunction, he dumped the rounds and reloaded it...as I and the rest of the posse stood and watched in awe. It changed my paradigm.

That's because Drifter is/was young and he really isn't human.........ever looked at his dad Wiggley? Can't be human, no way. :lol:

Archived