SASS Wire Forum

Shotgun Powder - What Do You Recommend

Mountain Man Gramps

I'm going to start reloading shotgun shells for cowboy matches using my Lee Load-All.  I've reloaded some shells using blackpowder but what recipe and powder do you recommend for 7/8 oz of #8 shot using smokeless powder?  What about the about the wad?  This is my first time reloading smokeless shells and I'd like to replicate the performance of Winchester's AA Low Noise/Low Recoil  shells.  Thanks in advance!

Biggest problem for most of us right now is finding shotgun powder.  I have loaded Red Dot, Clay Dot, Clays, Nitro 100, Promo, and Clean Shot at 13.5 to 14.5 grains and find that gives me about the same recoil and knock down power as the Winchester LNLR.  I have found that using a 3/4 ounce wad (I use the pink Clay Buster 3/4 ounce wad) with a 7/8 ounce shot bar gives me the proper stack height for a good crimp.  This seems to work fine with almost any hull you have too.  I load Winchester AA, Remington STS, Remington Gun Club, Remington Gold Nitro, all with the same settings on my press.  If you have different powder let us know and I'm sure someone can give you a good load using what you have.

• Like 1

10.5 grains Red Dot

7/8 - 1 ounce #8 shot

Claybuster gray wad  (CB178-12)

Rem STS, AA  hulls

This is what I use when shooting smokeless.  Good luck.

• Like 2

I had been loading 13.5 of Clays or ClayDot. Running out, so tried the same with Titewad. Shot them yesterday at a match. All good loads with the CB0175 Claybuster wad and 3/4 ounce of shot. No wad pressure. If the crimps are concave, add a bit more shot til they look good. 

Sam Sackett 

I have used most of all the ones mentioned and have settled in with Alliant Extra Lite for our lighter shotgun loads, 3/4 oz and Claybuster wads. You hit 'em, they fall. Good reloadin"!

• Like 5

1 hour ago, I. M. Crossdraw, SASS# 8321 said:

10.5 grains Red Dot

7/8 - 1 ounce #8 shot

Claybuster gray wad  (CB178-12)

Rem STS, AA  hulls

This is what I use when shooting smokeless.  Good luck.

Is 10.5 grains enough powder?

I’m running 12 grains of promo (red dot) with everything else you’ve got and it gives the perfect crimp and everything.  7/8oz shot. 

Several guys I shoot with are loading 13-14 grains red dot/promo with the same components and get good results. 

4 hours ago, Wild Eagle said:

(I use the pink Clay Buster 3/4 ounce wad) with a 7/8 ounce shot bar gives me the proper stack height for a good crimp.

Agree.  3/4 wad with 7/8 load or 7/8 wad with 1oz load. Brings the stack up to the right height with the reduced powder charge. 

All good powder choices list by others, finding them is the challenge.
seems I have seen clay dot and extra lite available recently online. 
Good Luck 

LF.  

I use ClayDot but you can use Clean Shot and Scarlett has it for sale. You can also find it online for sale usually. At least it is available most of the time right now.

TM

• Like 1

I use Extra-Lite, CB-0178-12 (grey) wads, Cheddite 209 primers and a minimum published load.  Some report reducing the powder charge two grains below published minimums to match Winchester LNLR shells.  A caution: reducing the powder charge too far below published minimums can cause squibby loads in very cold weather.

Edited by Edward R S Canby, SASS#59971
  • Like 3

Clay Buster Lightning CB4100-12B White wad, 1oz, #8 shot, 11 gr. Red Dot. 12-gauge Winchester AA hulls

Thats what we use. Loaded MEC 9000.    SKB 100 & Winchester 1897 12 gauge

Edited by Jackrabbit Joe #414

13.5 Red dot

7/8 Oz shot

claybuster grey wads 

• Like 1

You may notice that the powders recommended are fast-burning shotgun powders (except for Unique).  Shooters have assembled suitable low-recoil shells from all of them.  Locally some are experimenting with Hodgdon's new Perfect Pattern.  I can't recommend it since I have not loaded with it.  However, it is available (unlike some of the powders mentioned in this thread).  With chronic component shortages one needs to be flexible and load with available powders.  When I consume my present supply of Extra-Lite I may be loading with another powder out of necessity.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Edward R S Canby, SASS#59971 said:

You may notice that the powders recommended are fast-burning shotgun powders (except for Unique).  Shooters have assembled suitable low-recoil shells from all of them.  Locally some are experimenting with Hodgdon's new Perfect Pattern.  I can't recommend it since I have not loaded with it.  However, it is available (unlike some of the powders mentioned in this thread).  With chronic component shortages one needs to be flexible and load with available powders.  When I consume my present supply of Extra-Lite I may be loading with another powder out of necessity.

The slower burn Unique goes a long way in reducing felt recoil.

I use 17.0gn of Unique with 3/4-1 1/8oz of shot in my 12ga SASS loads.

The 3/4oz load has less recoil than WW Featherlites.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Preacherman said:

I have used most of all the ones mentioned and have settled in with Alliant Extra Lite for our lighter shotgun loads, 3/4 oz and Claybuster wads. You hit 'em, they fall. Good reloadin"!

Alliant extra lite was designed for low recoil loads.

I use 9.2 grains 1-1/8 ounce of 7 1/2, lightning wads, low recoil and gets the job done.

• Like 1

On 11/5/2023 at 3:11 PM, Leroy Luck said:

I’m running 12 grains of promo (red dot) with everything else you’ve got and it gives the perfect crimp and everything.  7/8oz shot. 

Several guys I shoot with are loading 13-14 grains red dot/promo with the same components and get good results. 

Yes, this load works for me for some time now.  It patterned well for me and no problem with knockdowns.  Load a few and see for yourself.  Felt recoil is a lot better than the Winchester LNR AA.

• Like 1

Hi MMG - It was nice shooting with you last weekend with the Bandidos.

Good advice above.  I'll just add how I ended up with my current recipe.  It happened as I was able to get an 8 lb jug of Clays thrown in with the press I purchased.  That's what drove my path forward.  From there I went to the books, Lyman Shotshell Reloading Handbook, Hogdon online , Alliant online and others to find my starting point.  And it's definitely nice to see what folks here are saying to be sure I was on the right track.

So as already been mentioned - see what powder you can get your hands on.  Great if you have multiple choices.  Go from there

• Like 2

MidwayUSA shows Clay Dot in stock.  One reason I prefer Extra-Lite is that Alliant lists 7/8 oz loads using Cheddite primers - the only 209 primers readily available recently.

• Thanks 1

Ah FOOEY!!  Asked the WRONG question.  Need to drop the "Smokeless" part.  That heathen fad stuff'll never catch on.

40Gr 2f APP, BP SPITFIRE wad, one ounce payload.  Works super fine.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

17.5 gr Unique powder 

Clay buster gray wads 

7/8 Oz #8 

Good knockdown & light recoil .

Edited by Rooster Ron Wayne
Sorry I put in the wrong info and did not realize my mistake toll I just was reading this post .

Clean Shot for Shotgun.docxClean Shot Cowboy Shared Data.pdf

This data was compiled for me by @Widder, SASS #59054 and Lead Ringer back when I first began selling Clean Shot. They didn’t have low velocity data.  I can’t remember who sent me the shotgun only data - think it was Lighthorse Pete in SC. 

Clean Shot IS available and will continue to be, unlike some others that are harder to find. There SHOULD be a good supply of Clean Shot available from online retailers NOW.  I know a container arrived recently filled with Clean Shot! 
Powder Valley, Midsouth Shooter Supply, Midway, Natchez, Graf’s, are online retailers that carry Shooters World powders. Beware of scams - they are still out there. 

Hugs!

Scarlett

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I sure like Clays for SG loads, it's sure hard to find right now.  GMR had a 4 lb jug on their raffle table last weekend, but I guess I didn't stuff enough tickets in the bucket.  Someone got lucky!

I have a jug of Clean Shot sitting on-deck in case I ever run out of Trail Boss or Clays before it's available again.

Totes

On 11/5/2023 at 1:11 PM, Leroy Luck said:

There was a family here, dad, mom, and two boys, who used 9.0 Red Dot for many years - you could actually see the shot ball going downrange. :blink: Maybe he finally got a wad stuck, because he eventually bumped it up to 10.0 grains. I've settled on 12.0 grains Red Dot with 7/8 oz shot and a Windjammer wad. If the crimp collapses in due to the shot column not being high enough, I use a piece of plastic packing peanut on top. :ph34r:

On 11/9/2023 at 7:02 AM, Rooster Ron Wayne said:

10.5 gr Unique powder 

Clay buster gray wads 

7/8 Oz #8 

Good knockdown & light recoil .

10.5 grains of Unique? That's not a typo?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Unique and or Universal. 

Tit for tat .

You can load just about anything with either one .

Just sayin. 

Rooster 

Second @Scarlett's recommendation for Shooter's World Clean Shot.  Readily available and priced competitively.

My recipe for 12GA Cowboy load with Clean Shot

Win HS hull (once fired)

Cheddite Primer

7/8 oz of #8 shot (new or reclaimed)

~15.0 gr of Clean Shot, which for my MEC is the #18 powder bushing.  You should verify.

Claybuster CB0178-12 Wad 

Very close to Win AA12FL8 LRLN load.

Good luck Pard.

• Thanks 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/15/2023 at 8:48 PM, Three Foot Johnson said:

There was a family here, dad, mom, and two boys, who used 9.0 Red Dot for many years - you could actually see the shot ball going downrange. :blink: Maybe he finally got a wad stuck, because he eventually bumped it up to 10.0 grains. I've settled on 12.0 grains Red Dot with 7/8 oz shot and a Windjammer wad. If the crimp collapses in due to the shot column not being high enough, I use a piece of plastic packing peanut on top. :ph34r:

10.5 grains of Unique? That's not a typo?

Sorry I put in the wrong info and did not realize it till I come back and read it again. 

I fixed the mistake already. 

That info was my 44 magnum Unique load. 

Rooster 

Edited by Rooster Ron Wayne
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/5/2023 at 10:54 AM, Mountain Man Gramps said:

I'm going to start reloading shotgun shells for cowboy matches using my Lee Load-All.  I've reloaded some shells using blackpowder but what recipe and powder do you recommend for 7/8 oz of #8 shot using smokeless powder?  What about the about the wad?  This is my first time reloading smokeless shells and I'd like to replicate the performance of Winchester's AA Low Noise/Low Recoil  shells.  Thanks in advance!

What loads did you use in BP? I just got a Load All to use specifically for BP and bought some APP from Scarlett. I have heard that 35 grains works but have not been able to confirm that with anyone else other than the one cowboy. I want to use 7/8 oz shot and will even dip the BP if I need to. I found a 3.1 cc dipper will give me 36 grain weight. 

TM 

Edited by Texas Maverick

12.5 gr. Of 700X with 1 OZ of  7.5 shot , can’t tell the difference between LNLR or my loads.