SASS Wire Forum

Shotgun bad luck

Rye Miles #13621

So a couple weeks ago my Stoeger shotgun had a tiny piece of shot stuck under the trigger INSIDE the action. Okay that's fixed. Now my other Stoeger failed on the last stage Saturday and only one trigger worked. (Glad it was the last stage) My gunsmith took it apart and found a fired primer stuck inside the action impeding the one trigger! Do the shotgun gods have it in for me or what?

Has anyone had this happen? I understand the shot if you don't have a good crimp there's a one in a thousand chance it'll work it's way in the action, (Happened to a friend of mine also) but a dead primer???:o

Now that's an odd one. I don't even see a space large enough for that to happen. Where did the primer come from? Seems like you are right about the SG Gods ;)

2 minutes ago, Attica Jack #23953 said:

Sounds like someone did some back yard gunsmithing.  I don't see how a primer could get into the action.

The gunsmith that slicked up both shotguns is a bona fide gunsmith. All he did was disable safety, slick up the opening and hone the chambers. He did nothing with the action itself.
I’ve been shooting Stoegers for 20 yrs and these two for about 5. Never had a problem until this. 

Rye, don't bet on the Lottery anytime soon.

Old Murphy's Law still comes around to haunt us.

6 minutes ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

sounds to me like you've had a visit from TN Williams and he's gifted you with one of his

cursed chicken feet or possum penis bone.

..........Widder

The more I hear about that guy the more I'm glad I'm on the other side of the country. :wacko:

8 minutes ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

sounds to me like you've had a visit from TN Williams and he's gifted you with one of his

..........Widder

Anybody who's seen me shoot might have noticed the chicken foot hanging from the barrel of my shotgun.  That's one of TW's chicken feet.  I hung it there to build up an immunity.  It took a full year, but I think I'm immune to the chicken foot gris gris now

16 minutes ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

I could see some type of failure of the primer pocket that allows the primer to back out.  Then when the gun is shucked, the loose primer falls into the action and screws you up for the next go around.

Exactly! That’s the first time in 20 yrs that’s happened. 

When the safety is disengaged, the butt stock gets removed.  There would have been a chance for a dead primer to have dropped into the action at that point, and even years later, it could bounce into a trigger blade to lock it up.

I've had shot get on the water table, smash almost flat, but keep the action from locking all the way and double-barrel gun would not fire.    Make tight crimps, or seal the opening in the crimp with something.  I use candle wax dropped on the hole just enough to close it up.

Don't have a Stoeger.  But if there is a hole in the bottom of the receiver where the locking bolt slides, it's sure possible that a primer was loose in pocket, and when you shucked the hull, primer fell down into action.  IF that was how it happened, then be careful with any shotshell where the primer did not seat with a little bit of resistance.

disable safety, slick up the opening and hone the chambers.

Two of those three "tuning" operations means the butt stock was removed and action exposed during the job.

Just because shotshell loading is "no big deal", shoddy shells can cause problems, as you seem to have found out.

good luck, GJ

1 hour ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

..........Widder

Widder, I heard an ole mountain man talking whilst I wuz at the TN state match this year and there's a story circulating around the hollers that ole @Tennessee williams came upon a midget Bigfoot and held him down and shaved him bald.  Now ole TW's got a good store of Bigfoot hair that's been hid in a stump in the full moon over 3 months time and now is bewitched.  Heck, now he can sneak just one piece of that cursed Bigfoot hair in your rifle and no one would be the wiser.....till you tried to shoot it then it all comes to pieces.  You gotta watch out for ole TW, he's a sneaky one.  Hey, you can't just make these kind of stories up!

Kajun

47 minutes ago, Tequila Shooter said:

@Rye Miles #13621 was the primer a 209 or a LPP?  And did it match the ones you were using?

209  it was all black and distorted. I use SPP for my pistols and rifles.

Betting the primer fell into the notch where the locking bolts fit into the receiver. If you look closely I'll bet there is a path big enough that even a 209 primer could make its way into the receiver. Especially if said primer was mangled.

As for the shot, poor crimps and lead splatter has gummed up the works of more than one shotgun.

40 minutes ago, Tequila Shooter said:

If it was a 209 that’s gotta be a big hole to let it down into the action don’t ya think?

See what Sedalia Dave said above^^^ makes sense !

6 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

So a couple weeks ago my Stoeger shotgun had a tiny piece of shot stuck under the trigger INSIDE the action. Okay that's fixed. Now my other Stoeger failed on the last stage Saturday and only one trigger worked. (Glad it was the last stage) My gunsmith took it apart and found a fired primer stuck inside the action impeding the one trigger! Do the shotgun gods have it in for me or what?

Has anyone had this happen? I understand the shot if you don't have a good crimp there's a one in a thousand chance it'll work it's way in the action, (Happened to a friend of mine also) but a dead primer???:o

We all have cursed you to endure shotgun failure :lol:

Not wishing you any more bad luck, but I’m hoping that this doesn’t happen to the rest of us. You may be one in a million to have that happen. That makes you “SPECIAL!”

Sam Sackett 

11 minutes ago, Sam Sackett said:

Not wishing you any more bad luck, but I’m hoping that this doesn’t happen to the rest of us. You may be one in a million to have that happen. That makes you “SPECIAL!”

Sam Sackett 

My mom told me I was special!:P

Well, just stay far away from them possum penises. You never know what's going to happen next. :lol:

11 minutes ago, Eyesa Horg said:

Well, just stay far away from them possum penises. You never know what's going to happen next. :lol:

Yikes!! 

Had a 209 primer come out of a shotgun shell in my model 12 during a wild bunch match and got behind the bolt.  Stopped me dead in the wather, called broken gun and finished the stage.  My only two misses for the day.  Used my 97 to finish the match,  at home took the shotgun apart found the mashed up primer and removed it.  Went back to working.  Second loading on the AA hull,  I had loaded a cheddite primer in a hull that had had a Rio primer.  I knew the cheddites  were larger than the us primers but didnt know the Rio was still larger.  Bullett 

14 hours ago, Shooting Bull said:

The more I hear about that guy the more I'm glad I'm on the other side of the country. :wacko:

Hehehe, it's cute that you think it matters if you're on the other side of the country or not.:ph34r:

3 hours ago, Bullett Sass 19707 said:

I knew the cheddites  were larger than the us primers

Used to be true, now the Cheddites are made to US dimensions and don't cause as many problems.

But, you are right - the Rio's are BIG

good luck, GJ

18 hours ago, Bullett Sass 19707 said:

Had a 209 primer come out of a shotgun shell in my model 12 during a wild bunch match and got behind the bolt.  Stopped me dead in the wather, called broken gun and finished the stage.  My only two misses for the day.  Used my 97 to finish the match,  at home took the shotgun apart found the mashed up primer and removed it.  Went back to working.  Second loading on the AA hull,  I had loaded a cheddite primer in a hull that had had a Rio primer.  I knew the cheddites  were larger than the us primers but didnt know the Rio was still larger.  Bullett 

A company called Creative Reloading makes an addition for the shotgun press to fix oversized primer pockets, Its called the ultimate primer punch, it knocks out the old primer and sizes the primer pocket at the same time! It works great wish I had one fifty years ago!

21 hours ago, Tennessee williams said:

Hehehe, it's cute that you think it matters if you're on the other side of the country or not.:ph34r:

It travels....I mean He, that's right, he.....

Sure glad he simplified his pronouns....

On 6/22/2023 at 8:46 AM, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Exactly! That’s the first time in 20 yrs that’s happened. 

Then don't lose sleep over it.

Stuff happens.  Something else will getcha next time.  

:D

ive never before this heard of the primer problem , but as stated above ...."Old Murphy's Law still comes around to haunt us." 

id mention the peter principle too about rising to ones highest level of incompetence but i dont know you so ill not blame you for putting that primer there , it does seem a very unlikely place for a primer to end up tho , you dont have a prankster among your shooting pards do you ? 

7 hours ago, watab kid said:

ive never before this heard of the primer problem , but as stated above ...."Old Murphy's Law still comes around to haunt us." 

id mention the peter principle too about rising to ones highest level of incompetence but i dont know you so ill not blame you for putting that primer there , it does seem a very unlikely place for a primer to end up tho , you dont have a prankster among your shooting pards do you ? 

There's quite a few pranksters I shoot with but none that would go as far as to do something to disable a gun.B)

So far  if I read the story right..an oversize primer got stuck in TN's butthole & no one knows what action to take as he's on the the other side ode of the country & Widder won't help cause he's to busy laughin '.......

3 hours ago, Painted Mohawk SASS 77785 said:

So far  if I read the story right..an oversize primer got stuck in TN's butthole & no one knows what action to take as he's on the the other side ode of the country & Widder won't help cause he's to busy laughin '.......

Oversized primer? It was a fired primer. I don’t see how it was oversized. If anything it was maybe undersized!

2 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Oversized primer? It was a fired primer. I don’t see how it was oversized. If anything it was maybe undersized!

Undersized? That would explain why he eats all those nanner splits. Easy to pass/won't jam up yer action. 

Archived