SASS Wire Forum

Picking up used shotgun wads

Hoss

Has anybody figured out a good way to gather up spent wads off the range? We’ve raked, used a sweeper pulled behind lawnmower, even picked up with grabbers one at a time. Seems like there ought to be a better way. What say the campfire? 

Wouldn't be great if they could be made bio-degradable.

Run over the area with a de-thatching rake to help loosen the wads and bring them to the top.. Then mow the ground close with a mower with a bagger attachment.

Found this picture over on a TRAP forum.

Dethatcher.png.217443dc929b6ed36f97cef374299905.png

Great I think I'll try some.

back when the Canadian   River Regulators were shooting at the Bar H ranch, we at one time had 30 to 40 shooter a match a lot of wad , so we had a contest every year we gave away at gun, at the annual match  to the person who turned in the most wad  a year - Colecreeck  who also  mined the lead at targets has several guns from this. He was not always the winner but wad problem went away 

6 minutes ago, SHOOTIN FOX said:

Back pack blower to consolidate , then a rake and trashcan to assemble/ discard.

A version of this we have used is a good quality gas leaf blower to herd them into a pile then rake into a trash bag.

Regards

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

be sure to wear a mask as it will be dusty

7 hours ago, twelve mile REB said:

Wouldn't be great if they could be made bio-degradable.

A Spanish company called BioAmmo makes shells that are entirely biodegradable excepting the brass base.  Allows (non reloading) hunters to be less concerned about leaving them in the field. Made from plant based material. 

Seamus

19 hours ago, Hoss said:

Has anybody figured out a good way to gather up spent wads off the range? We’ve raked, used a sweeper pulled behind lawnmower, even picked up with grabbers one at a time. Seems like there ought to be a better way. What say the campfire? 

Our range is decomposed granite surface.  We use a leaf blower.  

GOODY and FANTUM, should we recommend NS for advice?

15 hours ago, Snakebite Dust SASS 75484 said:

When I first saw this post I thought you wanted to pick them up to reuse them.  LOL

Tried that once just as an experiment..boiled them in water, dryed & re -used, not saying they are the best but they would do if you couldn't buy any..just sayin'.

18 hours ago, Snakebite Dust SASS 75484 said:

When I first saw this post I thought you wanted to pick them up to reuse them.  LOL

Many years ago I read in article that some trap shooters picked up used wads. Put them in mesh laundry bags and ran thru washing machine. Used them for practice. Trouble with getting old is a lot of info in head but some of the pages are faded       GW

On 8/11/2021 at 10:32 PM, Cholla said:

Move to AZ where everything is gravel.

11 minutes ago, Dubious Don #56333 said:

Dirt. Down here in the valley we got dirt LOL.

And what ain't dirt & gravel is sand!  :P

6 hours ago, Dubious Don #56333 said:

Dirt. Down here in the valley we got dirt LOL.

Whiskey Row Gunslingers is decomposed granite, which isn't too bad. Granite Mountain Outlaws is dirt and rock, with decomposed gravel mixed in. Heaven help your guns and eyes when the wind kicks up.

We've only just started shooting shotgun for the first time on our range yesterday. Never even envisaged that wads would be a problem. After a coupla' hundred or so more yesterday shotty rounds fired off I can see how they will be.

We use a leaf blower and a snow shovel into a trash barrel. 

Archived