SASS Wire Forum

WTC, Are These Boots Legal?

Null N. Void

2 hours ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Yeah, but my comment was addressing the suggestion that he lie about having a medical condition... That not cowboy at all.

I beg your pardon sir . :blush:........you may proceed!!:lol:

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Null N. Void said:

I have Morton's neuralgia in my left foot.  If the nerve gets aggravated and I step wrong, I fall down.  It's pretty much like stepping on a nail right between your toes.

These are the best non sneaker options that I've found that don't aggravate the nerve.  I have Arriats and Cowboy boots with pads, but these are much better. I don't have the feeling that the nerve is about to start barking.

Without the medical issue, I want to know if a shooter shows up at a match with something similar, is it illegal, why is it illegal, and should he/she be prevented from shooting.  They may have ugly shoes, shoes that don't look cowboy, boots that have composite soles, speed lacing at the top, etc.  The question is "IS IT ILLEGAL and under what rule.

NNV

Despite what others might think they are not illegal for any category except the costume categories.  They may not look cowboy enough for some people but that doesn't make them illegal. Only footwear specifically called out as unacceptable are Combat Boots and Athletic shoes. Your footwear doesn't fall into either category.

If the deciding factor for all the various items we use at at match was "does it look period correct". Just about every single one of us would be in violation for something.

50 minutes ago, Null N. Void said:

PWB,

What do you think?

NNV

My personal opinion is irrelevant (except as a voting member of the ROC) regarding whether this type of footwear is in compliance with the SASS standards & regulations stated on page 2 of the SHB.

Thread, link, & photo have been submitted for review.

If you have bad feet like I do and they work wear them!  Tell me the name of some one over 70 that don't some kid of a foot problem. But try to keep them inline with the hand book!

3 hours ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

Hi Gil,

You have my sympathy too. What are these pills you mention? I am allergic to NSAIDs, so I probably couldn't take them.

BTW, I had a cortisone shot, from a podiatrist, in my foot. It didn't help and my foot hurt worse for weeks. Do not go there!

Regards,

Allie

I take Duexis, which is 800mg of ibuprofen and 26.6 mg of famotidine, 3 times a day. It helps some, but if I spend too much time on my feet, I definitely know it. I get the cortisone shots as well, about three a year. It helps for about a week.

15 hours ago, WymoreWrangler SASS 46187 said:

My two peso's worth is no, to many other good options for foot wear....

So just because there are “to many other good options” you say they aren’t legal?????

soooo by your logic we should outlaw stoger shotguns because there are too many other good options right?

His question wasn’t “do you like them”, or “would you wear them”

the question was, ARE THE LEGAL

please show me in the rule book were it says something is an illegal item “if there are too many other good options”

I  had a neuroma (Morton's) surgically removed from my right foot about his time last year. Left foot getting ready to go under the knife for it's own neuroma removal. Plus gout, that (knock on wood) has been controlled quite well. I have used sole inserts from running shoes in my boots, along with Aleve, to keep me comfortable.. We have a running shoe store close by that fits serious runners. Marathons and runs like that. If you have one close to you, it is worth the drive.  Tell them what you are doing and bring your boots. They have helped me out a lot.

The cortisone shots were offered. Didn't like the downside, so they were declined.

There are good days and bad days. If I am at an two or three day match, I try to elevate my feet when I can. That seems to lessen the discomfort. Sometimes I have used ice, but not for more than 5 or 10 minutes.

I think it's great that NNV is looking for a way to be comfortable and keep a cowboy look. But go with comfort first. I have a friend who can barely walk without athletic shoes. We all know it and he shows up for matches and helps with the posse duties. If we see him limping, we remind him to "take a seat."

Contrast that with a match I attended that looked like a commercial for Rocky Boots. On shooters much younger than me. Not that younger folks can't have podiatry issues. But I think you get the picture.

1 hour ago, Gawd Awful said:

So just because there are “to many other good options” you say they aren’t legal?????

soooo by your logic we should outlaw stoger shotguns because there are too many other good options right?

please show me in the rule book were it says something is an illegal item “if there are too many other good options”

No I don't believe they are legal, has he looked at Roper Brand Horseshoe's, etc....

9 minutes ago, The Rainmaker, SASS #11631 said:

The "PFG" on the tongue may tell you something. It's for Performance Fishing Gear.

Fishing is a sport (so they say) so...

Just a thought.

By that logic so are cowboy boots, and Packers boots, and ....

American Civil War / Civil War shoes / brogans, Southern / Monticello

how about these,,,,,  they are period correct for the Seminole wars

4 hours ago, Gawd Awful said:

Yea... But do you really think that folks aren't going to comment on their looks???

It's Social Media man!!

:lol:

12 hours ago, Muley Gil SASS # 57795 said:

I take Duexis, which is 800mg of ibuprofen and 26.6 mg of famotidine, 3 times a day. It helps some, but if I spend too much time on my feet, I definitely know it. I get the cortisone shots as well, about three a year. It helps for about a week.

Since I retired, my pain isn't constant. I mostly wear a different type of shoe most of the time and wear inserts in my BW boots. I got rid of many shoes and boots. It was so bad in my ski boots that I'd frequently plop down on a trail and take my boot off to massage my foot until the pain subsided.

Unfortunately ibuprofen is a NSAID, which I am allergic to.

I would never have another cortisone shot in my foot. However, they have worked wonders on my knee and shoulder.

I wish you and Null well! If Null's shoes are found to be illegal (athletic), I recommend asking MDs for a reasonable accommodation.

Regards,

Allie

I saw a gent at Hill City wearing these last year at the match, I rotate them into my daily wear, I have foot problems also....    https://www.statelinetack.com/item/roper-mens-horseshoe-kiltie-boot/E005785 85/?srccode=GPSLT&gclid=Cj0KCQiAurjgBRCqARIsAD09sg_J_lphbsA4ihPz_k5Kf7NIAWfzcEOu-jozKwLWHAGyVSJWbh9FGD0aAgHgEALw_wcB

As Sedalia Dave says, SASS only defines whats illegal and what is required for B and Cowboy.

If these ain't Cowboy then short stroked rifles, lowered hammers, targets 5' away, and mouse fart loads aren't either.

Pull on boots are one style of footwear.  Moccasins, Packers, Brogans, Earth Walker's, and yes bare feet are all acceptable. Again, if he has a medical condition then he can basically wear anything he wants, even tennis shoes.

Ike

1 hour ago, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

As Sedalia Dave says, SASS only defines whats illegal and what is required for B and Cowboy.

If these ain't Cowboy then short stroked rifles, lowered hammers, targets 5' away, and mouse fart loads aren't either.

Pull on boots are one style of footwear.  Moccasins, Packers, Brogans, Earth Walker's, and yes bare feet are all acceptable. Again, if he has a medical condition then he can basically wear anything he wants, even tennis shoes.

Ike

Whether they are legal will be known soon... But we already know that they are ugly.

:o

You can wear them to the match and then wear them to the Ugly Christmas Sweater Party afterwards. You will have both your upper and lower body covered. You very well may win first prize :).

After reading all the comments I wonder what would have been said he had used a picture of them actually being worn.  No one could have seen the red plad liner, likely all the lacing would have been covered by his pants, and depending on the angle, the color of the soles would not have been as noticable.

Several peope have posted alternatives and it is great that you have found them but finding a pair to actually try on can be exceptionally difficult if you don't wear common sizes. I have short wide feet so 80% of all cowboy boots will not fit me. Years of the advice of you have to break boots in has left me with feet that will forever give me problems.

When I started CAS I tried Ariats and the design of the insole hurts from the moment I stand up in them.  Almost all the footwear I try on lacks the type of arch support I need, so I have to buy footwear that will accomidate orthotic insoles. Most stores strongly object to you removing the insoles from a pair of boots so that you can try them on with your custom insoles. Any more, sizes are all over the map and depending on the style/brand the size of shoe or boot I get will vary up to a size and a half from one brand to another. 

Comfortable, proper fitting shoes are so hard for me to find that when I do actually get a comfortable pair I buy 4 to 6 extra pairs and put them into storage because either the line will be discontinued or they change the design.  I am currently on my last pair of Bates ICS boots for work. For a year or two bates quit making that particular style but recently started offering a similar line. None of the local stores carry them and will not order them. So I have to mail order from suppliers that will allow exchanging them in case they don't fit.

Because of the problems I have with my feet I was talked into spending money I didn't have on earthwalkers. Was told at the time he took a casting of my foot that it would take 4 months to get them. They finally arrived 14 months later and at least 2 sizes too small. Sent them back twice both times with written descriptions of the problem and followed up with phone calls. All that effort resulted in ZERO satisfaction.  Were I to meet him at a match today I would at a minimum repeatedly punch him in the nose.

Those of you that can easily find comfortable footwear should consider yourselves blessed.

The Horseshoe Roper was recommended to me and they are the most comfortable boot I've found.  I have also recommended these boots to anyone that asks about comfortable footwear for shooting.

Dutch

horsehoe roper.jpg

Hi Dutch,

I've seen those at matches. The things I like better about them for SASS over Null's are the sole color and they don't have that white point on the toe that makes the shoe look athletic.  The following photo shows what I mean about the toe design on the shoe Null asked about..

Georgia Boot ReFLX Alloy Toe Work Athletic Shoe, , large

Regards,

Allie

18 minutes ago, Dutch Coroner said:

The Horseshoe Roper was recommended to me and they are the most comfortable boot I've found.  I have also recommended these boots to anyone that asks about comfortable footwear for shooting.

Dutch

That's the boots I was talking about, I have a pair on right now...

18 minutes ago, Dutch Coroner said:

horsehoe roper.jpg

If you've ever met or shot with Half A Hand Henri, then all this talk of footwear is pointless. The lady shots BAREFOOT....period!

How she does it is beyond my "tough" level! :blush:

Plus the fact the gal has a boat load of buckles and such.....I say its an unfair advantage :lol:

16 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

After reading all the comments I wonder what would have been said he had used a picture of them actually being worn.  No one could have seen the red plad liner, likely all the lacing would have been covered by his pants, and depending on the angle, the color of the soles would not have been as noticable.

Here's a pic of them being worn.

Bootsasworn.jpg

non issue,, to me anyway....

4 hours ago, J Bird Blue, SASS # 57924 said:

They look as 19th century as a Ruger Blackhawk or Henry Big Boy. Strange the users of those were accommodated, but they don't care if your feet hurt.

Do you really think that folks don't care if his feet hurt????

Well then to he$$ with all the rules!!!

:wacko:

23 hours ago, Dutch Coroner said:

Dutch

horsehoe roper.jpg

I have a pair of these and they are great. Neropathy is a real issue for some of us and if we can’t find comfortable footwear the decision may be to not shoot. Frankly, I have more issues with people being unsafe or wearing their shot shell belt at mid chest level than I have with a person being able to participate because their feet aren’t “killing” them. If they choose B Western or Classic Cowboy then there would be an issue as they have chosen a category that is very strict about attire, footwear and accoutrements - 

just my $.02

3 hours ago, Too Tall Bob said:

I have a pair of these and they are great. Neropathy is a real issue for some of us and if we can’t find comfortable footwear the decision may be to not shoot. Frankly, I have more issues with people being unsafe or wearing their shot shell belt at mid chest level than I have with a person being able to participate because their feet aren’t “killing” them. If they choose B Western or Classic Cowboy then there would be an issue as they have chosen a category that is very strict about attire, footwear and accoutrements - 

just my $.02

In the case of neuropathy in one's feet, the decision should never be not to shoot, as a MD who would not make an accommodation is a never mind! :o;)

BTW, Hubby quit shooting because of peripheral neuropathy. If it were just his feet, he'd still shoot. Unfortunately, it hit his hands too.

When it first hit his hands, he asked to shoot a 1911. The never mind  president said no.  The  never mind quit shooting SASS when his category (Modern) was eliminated. What a good sport, huh?

:ph34r:  Hi Allie Mo, this is Goode chiming in with my $.02.  I had 2 neuromas removed from each foot back in 2014 which left me with "stubs" at the ends of the nerves as they healed.  My former podiatrist who performed the surgery told me it was permanent nerve damage, but when I saw "Bad's" podiatrist today he gave me cortisone injections in each foot.  I am happy to say that they feel better already, we shall see how long the improvement lasts.  I purchased a pair of Ariats which had a toe box tall enough to accommodate my orthotics  not long before the ill-fated Nevada State Championship. If those had not worked, I would have  been pleading for medical accommodation on some other type of boot that might have worked.

I firmly believe that reasonable footwear accommodation is not asking too much.

Archived