SASS Wire Forum

WTC, Are These Boots Legal?

Null N. Void

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Works for everything but B Western and Classic Cowboy/Girl.

11 hours ago, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

War them and anybody gives you any crap, just tell them you have a medical condition that requires you to wear them.

Ike

Well, I'm no expert on what is or isn't appropriate footwear for Cowboy attire in CAS/SASS. However, most folks know which items are or are not in the spirit of the game. I truly understand that not everyone can wear cowboy pull-on boots.. However, there are a lot of other options. Your comment suggests using a medical condition excuse for footwear choice whether or not a shooter has a condition which limits his ability to wear western style footwear. Sorry but I don't agree with that line of thought.

16 hours ago, Null N. Void said:

I can't find anything that says these are illegal for age related categories.  The look similar to Brogans used in the 1800's.

http://www.ushist.com/19th-century_mens_boots_shoes.shtml#item8

Null N. Void

Boots.jpg

SHB Page 2 

Participants may choose the style of costume they wish to wear, but all clothing must be typical of the late 19th century, a B-Western movie, or Western television series.

Those do not look typical for the late 19th century nor do they look B-Western.

Here’s a pair of brogans

https://goo.gl/images/BVV33N

I’m with Keystone, claiming a medical exemption you’re not entitled to definitely isn’t in the spirit of the game.

17 hours ago, Null N. Void said:

I can't find anything that says these are illegal for age related categories.  The look similar to Brogans used in the 1800's.

http://www.ushist.com/19th-century_mens_boots_shoes.shtml#item8

Null N. Void

Boots.jpg

Perfectly fine to wear! You're feet will thank you!

51 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Not cowboy at all.

I agree but nothing in the rules says you have to dress "cowboy" except for Classic and B-Western. I see folks wearing all kinds of footwear! I guess as long as there's no sneakers you're okay! ;)

I didn't make the rules they are what they are!

Ahem .....

Would it be appropriate to mention ...... IF ...... dressing as a Townie, there is no requirement for "Boots" at all.  Not that the referenced pair of  ???? aren't kinda Ugly.

By the time your pants cover most of them up, what's left will look like a moccasin toe, which is hard to argue against.  The sole being white looks like crap to me, but a lot of ranges are so muddy/dusty/whatever that's likely to get covered up.  I pay more attention to the iron a man wears and could care less what he's got on his feet(or not)....

People do what they need to in order to allow being on their feet for four hours or so at a match. Another idea is to buy old west style boots larger or wider to allow plenty of insert cushioning. I found Ariats to run a half size small, so I became very aware of needing a generous fit.

2 hours ago, Attica Jack #23953 said:

I think the molded soles makes them not wearable for CAS/SASS.

Is this your opinion or do you have a rule for reference?

7 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I agree but nothing in the rules says you have to dress "cowboy" except for Classic and B-Western. I see folks wearing all kinds of footwear! I guess as long as there's no sneakers you're okay! ;)

I didn't make the rules they are what they are!

Yeah, but my comment was addressing the suggestion that he lie about having a medical condition... That not cowboy at all.

I have Morton's neuralgia in my left foot.  If the nerve gets aggravated and I step wrong, I fall down.  It's pretty much like stepping on a nail right between your toes.

These are the best non sneaker options that I've found that don't aggravate the nerve.  I have Arriats and Cowboy boots with pads, but these are much better. I don't have the feeling that the nerve is about to start barking.

Without the medical issue, I want to know if a shooter shows up at a match with something similar, is it illegal, why is it illegal, and should he/she be prevented from shooting.  They may have ugly shoes, shoes that don't look cowboy, boots that have composite soles, speed lacing at the top, etc.  The question is "IS IT ILLEGAL and under what rule.

NNV

They are legal for every category except Classic Cowboy and B Western.  The only limits on footwear for all the other categories is, no combat boots, or athletic shoes.

1 hour ago, Null N. Void said:

I have Morton's neuralgia in my left foot.  If the nerve gets aggravated and I step wrong, I fall down.  It's pretty much like stepping on a nail right between your toes.

These are the best non sneaker options that I've found that don't aggravate the nerve.  I have Arriats and Cowboy boots with pads, but these are much better. I don't have the feeling that the nerve is about to start barking.

Without the medical issue, I want to know if a shooter shows up at a match with something similar, is it illegal, why is it illegal, and should he/she be prevented from shooting.  They may have ugly shoes, shoes that don't look cowboy, boots that have composite soles, speed lacing at the top, etc.  The question is "IS IT ILLEGAL and under what rule.

NNV

Hi Null,

I have  Morton's Neuroma in my left foot. I know that pain. Between it and my bum left knee, I doubt I will ever snow ski again.

However, I think I could find a better looking man's shoe or boot for SASS wear. I've had flats that hurt and heels that didn't. It's all about the last shape/slope and how the ball of your foot hits it.

The toe and sole of that shoe looks like athletic shoe features to me. The following is from the Shooter's Handbook's Outlawed Items list, "All types of athletic shoes or combat boots, no matter the material from which they are constructed."

That said, you could probably get a MD to approve their wear.

Regards,

Allie

1 hour ago, Null N. Void said:

NNV

I've got the same aliment in my right foot. I feel for you. I went to the foot doc and he told me that there are several ways to treat it, including surgery. Then he told me that he also has Morton's. I asked if he had done the surgery and he said no, he hadn't.

If the doc won't do the surgery, then neither will I. I'll stick to the pills.

5 minutes ago, Muley Gil SASS # 57795 said:

I've got the same aliment in my right foot. I feel for you. I went to the foot doc and he told me that there are several ways to treat it, including surgery. Then he told me that he also has Morton's. I asked if he had done the surgery and he said no, he hadn't.

If the doc won't do the surgery, then neither will I. I'll stick to the pills.

Hi Gil,

You have my sympathy too. What are these pills you mention? I am allergic to NSAIDs, so I probably couldn't take them.

BTW, I had a cortisone shot, from a podiatrist, in my foot. It didn't help and my foot hurt worse for weeks. Do not go there!

Regards,

Allie

Archived