SASS Wire Forum

Spotters and the .36

McCandless

Probably didn't earn myself any friends, but oh well... Annoying people is what I do.

Usually, when shooting Frontiersman I blast away with ROA's and .457 ball.   But, occasionally I dig my .36's outa the closet, just because.  But, I have found that some spotters, due to inattention, hard-of-hearing, unfamiliarity, or whatever, will score hits with the itty, bitty, 88gr balls, as a miss.  (me and some R.O.'s have just looked at each other an shrugged a few times, as center hits become misses... and yeah, I hit the right targets), especially on a target that doesn't "ring".  

So, I've taken now and then, (just occasionally mind you), to turning around before the stage begins and telling the spotters to pay close attention, these guns are gonna be a little harder to spot fer.  A few have grumbled, like I don't trust them...  :ph34r::D... But dang, they do pay closer attention!

I know I can get downright gamey... ripe even...but is that gaming?

:P

Got a pair of .36 '61 Navies and I've experienced the same thing.  Never took the time to give the spotters a heads up prior to shooting a stage, although I've given it a thought.  Might just hafta give it a try.  Used to load em with 15 gr. so I upped them to 20 gr. to see if it would make a difference.  Don't seem to have made a difference in the spotters inability to discern hits any better than with the lighter load.

That's why I shoot 44s and not 36s.

Got tired of getting irritated with spotters who call hits as misses.

I love my 1860 44s, and only very occasionally shoot my Colt 1851 Navy 36s.

--Dawg 

26 minutes ago, McCandless said:

.but is that gaming

Not at all.  You are simply reminding them of what they should be doing (pay attention) but as shown by your results, they were NOT doing.     Also tell them to spread out some, as standing behind you won't work, either, because they won't see through the cloud.. 

Good luck, GJ

If they think it's a miss, it's a hit!

10 minutes ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

Not at all.  You are simply reminding them of what they should be doing (pay attention) but as shown by your results, they were NOT doing.     Also tell them to spread out some, as standing behind you won't work, either, because they won't see through the cloud.. 

Good luck, GJ

Yep, some folks DO like to stand behind you and then can't see through the white-out.   Once I say my piece, the R.O. will usually remind them the spread out!

Shoot first on the Posse that way you will have proof that the spotters are not doing their job.

Maybe a little physical evidence will show them the error of their ways.

How about asking the TO to remind the spotters?  He needs to be aware of how well they are doing their jobs so he can replace them if they aren't doing taking it seriously.  And even though the TO should not be watching the targets, we know sometimes they do...;)

It's always a help to the TO if you point out that you're shooting .36 revolvers.   If I know, I can alert the spotters and point out that sometimes the balls hitting in the middle of the target don't make much noise and remind them that if they are not sure, it's a hit.  This also applies to some of the .32 revolvers with light loads as well as 38 special short cartridges.

.36 with ball on top of 20 gn 777 shoots harder that most of the 38's out there. It will knock down any plate that a the 38's will knock down, and will give good feed back.... just don't run it across the chronograph. :o

They’re, the inattentive spotters, jealous of how much fun we are having so they try to take us down a notch.  But it is simply amazing that you have to remind people how to spot.

5 hours ago, Snakebite said:

.36 with ball on top of 20 gn 777 shoots harder that most of the 38's out there. It will knock down any plate that a the 38's will knock down, and will give good feed back.... just don't run it across the chronograph. :o

That's kinda' what I was thinkin'.........add some powder so they hit harder. I have also seen 45's hit much lighter than my 38's..........it's all about the powder. 

So funny...all the folks putting down the spotters...like they have never made a bad call.

Rather then rip on the ones willing to spot, how'z about ripping on the folks that don't do SQUAT on a posse...

Oy...

Phantom

10 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

So funny...all the folks putting down the spotters...like they have never made a bad call.

Rather then rip on the ones willing to spot, how'z about ripping on the folks that don't do SQUAT on a posse...

Oy...

Phantom

Hey, who you say ain't doin' squat...   Sittin' or standin' around swapping lies, innuendos and tall tales is WORK for some of us!

Just to remind everyone, many of our members are hard of hearing.   They are not being lazy.  BP shooters also throw up a smoke cloud that make visual sighting of a hit difficult.  I've had spotters tell me after, I let them know that a light load is coming, to please get another spotter because they can't hear the hit.  With a little communication,  we can work it out!

When I am spotting, I have no issue at all if someone calls to my attention that they are shooting low power .38, .36 or .32 cal pistols. It's a fair warning that the shooter knows they may be an issue due to low powder charge and/or light weight bullets.

Seems perfectly reasonable to me.

1 hour ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Oy...

Phantom

Good call Phantom. Good call,

20 hours ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

How about asking the TO to remind the spotters?  He needs to be aware of how well they are doing their jobs so he can replace them if they aren't doing taking it seriously.  And even though the TO should not be watching the targets, we know sometimes they do...;)

I watch the targets as a TO ALL the time,,,,  stand behind the shooter's strong shoulder, you can see him, the firearms AND the targets!!

for some stages you can admonish if you don't see a miss, then it's a hit,, they way they do it at Winter Range,, lots to dirt to see misses that kick up dirt

2 hours ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Oy...

Phantom

I'll let ya know if I ever see someone not working on one of my posses. 

11 minutes ago, Ramblin Gambler said:

I'll let ya know if I ever see someone not working on one of my posses. 

I have no idea what you mean... Are you saying that everyone works on your posses... Always? If that's true, you are one of a kind.

Phantom

My favorite all time miss call was shooting Cody-Dixon 45-70 rifle. one shot was on a chicken suspended from a bar with chains. A hit with a 45-70 would put the chicken to swinging pretty hard on the chains.  Shot stage clean. When done one counter had 1 miss. I asked what did I miss, she answerd "the Chicken" I told her to look at it as it was still swinging from the hit. she still thought I missed it. fortunatly the other counters had it right. 

My personal practice when counting is I need only 1 positive thing for a hit, see it hit or hear it hit. it takes at least 2 negatives to call it a miss. See it dig up dirt, & not hear it. if I see it dig dirt and no ding, I look for the trajectory to see if an edger was possible. If i'm not 100% sure it was a miss, then ITS A HIT. 

Null N Void,

Some spotters still don't get "If you THINK it's a miss, it's a HIT.  Reminding those that are hard of hearing sometimes doesn't work especially if you have a small posse.  Spotters for black powder shooters also need to stand where they can SEE the targets which isn't directly behind the BP shooter and ideally not bunched together, but spread out to get different vantage points.

Sedalia Dave,

As a black powder shooter, I do try to shoot first especially if we are the first posse to shoot a stage, but that doesn't help if you are the second or third posse to shoot the stage and the targets haven't been repainted.

3 hours ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Oy...

Phantom

Well... there is that.

I sincerely apologize if it appeared I was ripping on anybody.  Not my intent.  Just relating my experiences shooting my .36's that I don't have shooting my .44s.

Have I ever missed a call, heck yeah.  I'm sure we all have.  

35 minutes ago, Lorelei Longshot, SASS #44256 Life said:

Null N Void,

Some spotters still don't get "If you THINK it's a miss, it's a HIT.  Reminding those that are hard of hearing sometimes doesn't work especially if you have a small posse.  Spotters for black powder shooters also need to stand where they can SEE the targets which isn't directly behind the BP shooter and ideally not bunched together, but spread out to get different vantage points.

Sedalia Dave,

As a black powder shooter, I do try to shoot first especially if we are the first posse to shoot a stage, but that doesn't help if you are the second or third posse to shoot the stage and the targets haven't been repainted.

Lorelei, hope to see you next week!

Phantom... you can say what ever you want, but it is those Lying, Blind, Cheating Spotters that have kept me from being the World's Champion for the past 25 yrs!

Snakebite :P

Hoss,

We'll be there unless something horrible happens which has been known to happen to us for two major shoots.  Be there to work side matches on Friday and shoot Saturday and Sunday.

Often seems spotters are eager to call a miss rather than admit they didn't really see something.   Remember the mantra!

If you are are not seeing well, or things are going too fast for you to be sure, hand off the stick.

Good luck, GJ

When I shoot my .36s, I'd like to load an extra pistol.  At the start of the stage, center punch a target and announce "that's a hit" and then put one into the dirt and announce "that's a miss" ....... any questions??  Or, just to avoid any confusion, load my Howda and have the same demonstration.

PLUS ONE to Garrison Joe.

I load My 1851s With 22 gr. 3f Goex and a ball ,,, Never Worried about the Speed Limit , I was told it doesn't apply to C&B...

But I find some spotters miss seeing the hit , because the ball is there before they expected ...

Jabez Cowboy

3 hours ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

I have no idea what you mean... Are you saying that everyone works on your posses... Always? If that's true, you are one of a kind.

Phantom

I don't think you understand how this works.  It's not me; I didn't train my club, my club trained me how to act.  Maybe my club is one of a kind, I wouldn't know I've only shot 2 or 3 matches at other clubs.  I've heard tell there's one or 2 here that don't pull their weight, but they must not ever sign up on my posse.  Or maybe I'm too busy working to notice them.  Other than that, everyone works.  Even the hobbled and infirmed will find a chore they can do while sitting.   Of course people need to load and unload and pee and such.  But the only times someone is just standing there watching they are either visitors or can't find anyone what needs relief. 

3 hours ago, Ramblin Gambler said:

I don't think you understand how this works.  It's not me; I didn't train my club, my club trained me how to act.  Maybe my club is one of a kind, I wouldn't know I've only shot 2 or 3 matches at other clubs.  I've heard tell there's one or 2 here that don't pull their weight, but they must not ever sign up on my posse.  Or maybe I'm too busy working to notice them.  Other than that, everyone works.  Even the hobbled and infirmed will find a chore they can do while sitting.   Of course people need to load and unload and pee and such.  But the only times someone is just standing there watching they are either visitors or can't find anyone what needs relief. 

I'm sorry, but I've been PM at many clubs including WR and EOT... So I think i know how "it" works:lol: Perhaps it's your limited experience running posses at other clubs. Non-helping or minimal helping... it's quite common. You can scream at the top of your lungs over and over again and these folks are like cats... You're invisible.

Cheers!!

Phantom

10 hours ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Oy...

Phantom

Can't it be both? Or is it only possible to address one issue at a time?

Archived