SASS Wire Forum

Cleaning outside of shotgun hulls before reloading

WymoreWrangler SASS 46187L

I'm getting ready to reload up some Winchester AA, and I've been reloading almost 35 years, and I'm using once (at least) fired hulls, and you always notice factory shells are slick on the outside before being fired.  So trying to think of something to clean the hulls with, I grabbed some generic "windex" and cleaned the hulls, they feel a lot slicker to the touch, I deprimed one hull and they came down without sticking in the die.  I took two hulls and put them in my TTN and they flew out of the chambers.  So I'm going to load up a bunch and try them out, but does anyone else have something else they clean their hulls with...

Real dirty hulls I wipe with a rag just barely moistened with ArmorAll or other plastic cleaner/conditioner.    But that is usually done AFTER they are loaded and they still are filthy. 

Vinegar based windex will eat bluing if you get any on your gun steel. Ammonia type would probably be OK.

Good luck, GJ

50 minutes ago, WymoreWrangler SASS 46187 said:

I'm getting ready to reload up some Winchester AA, and I've been reloading almost 35 years, and I'm using once (at least) fired hulls, and you always notice factory shells are slick on the outside before being fired.  So trying to think of something to clean the hulls with, I grabbed some generic "windex" and cleaned the hulls, they feel a lot slicker to the touch, I deprimed one hull and they came down without sticking in the die.  I took two hulls and put them in my TTN and they flew out of the chambers.  So I'm going to load up a bunch and try them out, but does anyone else have something else they clean their hulls with...

Windex huh? Are you Greek?

I use a microfiber cloth and wipe the crimped end and the brass end before heading to the loading table.  Amazing how it helps to extract the empty.   Your mileage may vary though.

1 hour ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

Real dirty hulls I wipe with a rag just barely moistened with ArmorAll or other plastic cleaner/conditioner.    But that is usually done AFTER they are loaded and they still are filthy.

Good luck, GJ

Yep, wipe them silicone rag after reloading;)

I load my hulls normally then swipe them with a silicon cloth before I put them in my SG belt at the stage.

When the cloth "runs out" I just spray the cloth with silicon spray from Ace; lasts months longer.

I got a bunch of twice fired from my son who shoots in Colorado where the ranges are typically sandy dirt. They felt pretty gritty so I put them in a mesh bag & threw them in a sink full of hot water with some Dawn dish soap. Mixed them around for a bit & rinsed them off. After drying they felt much, much better.

I knew a guy that always washed his shotgun hulls in his washing machine.  I tried it a couple times with a little detergent (make sure you put them in a laundry bag of some sort or they'll make a heck of a racket) and they came out clean and real slick.  I decided it was more trouble than it was worth, for me.  Mainly because I had to lay them out somewhere for a really long time to be absolutely sure there was no moisture left in the shells when I reloaded them.  I always worried I'd get a squib because of left over water.  I never did, but I still worried about it.

Still, it worked well.  Try it out for yourself.

Angus

p.s. I don't think I'd try it in a dish washer.  I wouldn't want all that lead related crud getting mixed up with my dishes the next time I used it.

Since I have been in SASS I have another hobby, reloading my shotgun hulls, especially making the lower recoil rounds because of my bad upper back. But I have to admit, I have never cleaned them, and I do like the idea of cleaner hulls.  I will try cleaning them in a laundry bag one weekend when the wife is gone, ;) and wipe them dry with a silicon / Armorall cloth.  Good thread!!!

Any way you can get the grit off the outside is a good thing. Usually a damp rag with some mild cleaner is sufficient. 

Once loaded, I like to wipe my shells down with a rag that has Johnson's paste wax on it before putting them in the box.

A dear friend of mine used to spray his hull with pledge and let dry before putting them into the box.....smelled good and they seem to just about leap out of the chamber!

Bugler

If you have a vibratory tumbler an hour or so with Minute Rice (not regular rice) will clean them up well enough. If you're worried about rice sticking in the flash hole pop out the primers first with a Lee tool then poke the rice out of the flash hole after tumbling.

My aa hulls seem to be dirtier when down loaded for less recoil and when they fall on the Az dirt

spray window cleaner on a rag  works for me . I wear the cheap rubber gloves when doing this.

I tried washing them with soap and water but it took for ever to dry the hulls.

clean hulls load easier  .   CATLOW 

I tried Armor-All on my shot shells. Worked wonderfully until it started to rain.  Damp hands and super-slick shot shells don't work well. I threw more shells on the ground than I got loaded in the shotgun.

22 hours ago, Shooting Bull said:

Put them in a mesh bag and then into the washing machine for a few minutes. Come out clean as can be.

il_fullxfull.335832283.jpg

Come on now, and tell us the truth-That's really your corset, ain't it......:lol:

OLG

I tried washing them once and had problems.  Seems the water found its way between the brass and the hull and I had some duds.

To remedy that problem I usually do not wipe them down unless they have some excess crud.  Then as I load my shotgun belt I "swab" the business end of the shell with some Ballistol.  Comes out of the belt better, and into and out of the shotgun better.  I don't want the brass end of the shell to be too slick since it can make them harder to hang on to.  Additionally, I swab the chambers between stages.  Almost never have a stuck hull.

Hairtrigger's post reminded me - I forgot to add that I never wash 2-piece hulls (Win AA), only STS or Nitro 27's.

This is an interesting (to me ) thread. I have never cleaned a shotshell  other than just a cursory wipe if dusty.  That washing machine trick looks interesting. I would have no problem drying the hulls here at my home , plenty of  +/- 100 degree sunshine to lay them out in.

Rex :D

3 hours ago, Rex M Rugers #6621 said:

I would have no problem drying the hulls here at my home , plenty of  +/- 100 degree sunshine to lay them out in.

Rex :D

Yeah, I kind of snicker a bit at the thought of having trouble drying them. I set them outside for five minutes and can barely touch them because they're so hot. :D

I resize all of mine before a trip through the MEC; these are AA shells

They get checked or burn holes at the crimp area as well as rough patches on the outside of the shells.  Older shells seem to develop both at about the same time.  They also get wiped off with a shop cloth if needed

At the MEC they again get checked (cause I'm old and miss things) and wiped if needed.  

that being said I've been known to load some questionable shells just because

OFF TOPIC:  I do know some of our fast guns will sprinkle baby powder on their shells afterwards to help the shells load faster--their hands never develop diaper rash either.

Archived