SASS Wire Forum

How long does it take to get used to new pistols?

Hurricane Deck 100366

Shot my fancy new set of Vaqueros this weekend (this completes the last of three sets for the family) but did so to great dissapointment. I'm not nearly as comfortable with the lower hammer and heavier pistol compared to my Smokewagons. My times were significantly lower - to the tune of 3-4 seconds as learning to manipulate the guns quickly wasn't coming easily.

So how many thousand of rounds does it take before YOU are ready to shoot a set of pistols at a match competitivley? I'm used to times in the mid to low 20's, but this last match was low to mid thirties. I'm trying to remind myslef and it's new pistols, new holsters and it's going to take time to get back up to speed. They've already been slicked up by the Briskoe Kid at Cowboy Shooters supply and they feel great in the hand. (just need to get them short stroked)

On the positive side I'm really liking the Doc Noper rig I picked up from Cowby Carty, they're incredibly well built, position well and will make for a fine base for what I feel will be a competitive setup. I'm plannig on keeping my Gibby's fine leather setup for "show" as the are extremely fine grade holsters in a beautiul dark smoke color - totally custom and absolutely beautiful!

There is no right answer, everyone is different.

But if you want to send me a new pair of pistols I'll do a case study for ya. I shoot RNVs with SBH hammers now, so maybe send me a pair of Colts or something.

Throw snap caps in them and work with them a lot, that should do the trick. And if not, maybe they just aren't for you.

With my Lassiter short stroke action job. A little over a year of constant dryfirin and live firing. Proper or improper technique can be a great factor in that. I had to learn how to properly work the action. The correct rig can be a factor. I went through 5, 6 different rigs, til i found the one i feel works at this time....So.....watch yourself in a mirror and mimic a great pistol shooter, that you desire to be like. Its your journey...get after it.

Picked up a pair this summer. Took me about 300 rounds to get used to them. Suddenly your pistol times will improve. Of course your mileage might vary.

Could you ask a question that had more variance in answers?

How about: right away to never, depends on the shooter, more than just a physical thing.

Also, you do not have to change to a different pistol to have this issue. I changed grips on my OMVs to a slim gunfighter style with no issue. I tried SBH hammers and knew instantly that I would never get used to the feel.

I certainly never have been fast but it used to help me to slowdown when shooting/practiceing with new guns. I would actually try to hold myself back until it just happens that you speed up unconsciously. Not having shot in three or four years I hate to think how long t will take for me!

If the guns are right for you it should be quick. I can't shoot lowered hammers two handed. Had a great set of guns I used for GF that I sold because of that.

I think for me the biggest change is the lowered hammer. My muscle memory is centered around the height of the smokewagon hammers. When I tried to run the new NMV"s the same way, I ended up with three light strikes from either dragging my thumb on the hammer, or not fully cocking it.

They're great pistols and feel good in the hand - and they're going to help me break the bad habit of slip hammering. From the first stage to the last stage, there was certainly improvement.

I went from Vaqueros to Pieta colt clones with no practice and no hiccups. My times are about the same but misses decreased significantly. I don't know if it was the different feel, the brass front sights, shifting from 45's to 38's or all of the above. Something changed and I like it.

Chancy

Stay with it, you will grow to love them, times will improve and you will wonder why you cant shoot the Smokewagons any more....Enjoy

You may want to change out your hammers. With so many shooters going to SBH and Montado hammers, they may have original hammers to sell very inexpensively.

CB

It may be fairly quick. It may also be never (quote Madd Mike). I shoot Gunfighter and my "go-to" guns were very well set up Open Tops (I now shoot Cap Guns). Tried about every other year to switch to Ruger. Never happened. Built 6 different sets of Rugers. Even put SBH hammers and Bisley

triggers in the last set. Never happened.

"First Learned best Remembered" also applies to muscle memory. You may well be attuned to a "Colt" feel in the action and the hammer position. At best, your looking at a lot of range time and maybe a lot of dry fire. Then, maybe going back to the guns you were originally comfortable with.

Good Luck.

Coffinmaker

When shooting two handed the higher standard hammers feel like I am making a pulling back motion where as with the lower SB hammers it feels more like a pulling down motion.

Maybe that will help you transition to the new guns, but I shoot GF so take what I said with a grain of salt.

Hope this helps,

Smoke

I've had Smoke Wagons for 6 years and I'm still trying' to get used to them!! :P

Yea Crossdraw, I sleep with them so what???? :blink:

I do think there are some guns that will never be a fit for someone's hand. The two that jump to mind for me are the OMRV being a size issue and the '58 Remington being a shape problem. As good as it gets in the single action revolver grip is the Colt Navy and I would bet that in a blind test it would be close to the universal selection. For my choice in an ULTRA-modern design it would no doubt be the Colt 1911. :lol::lol:

I started out shooting Colt clones and had one break at a match one day. I borrowed one Ruger Vaquero from another shooter and immediately shot it quicker. I shared this to illustrate that has been said before, if the guns fit you then it will be a quick change, if not it may take a little time. The good news is you can dry fire them to speed this along.

I never had much of a problem getting use to new or different pistols.

BUT, my biggest obstacle was getting use to different HAMMER styles.

It took me a couple months to get use to SBH hammers on my pistols.

..........Widder

I do think there are some guns that will never be a fit for someone's hand. The two that jump to mind for me are the OMRV being a size issue and the '58 Remington being a shape problem. As good as it gets in the single action revolver grip is the Colt Navy and I would bet that in a blind test it would be close to the universal selection. For my choice in an ULTRA-modern design it would no doubt be the Colt 1911. :lol::lol:

I can't disagree with anything you said here. After getting my first Colt, the rugers don't fit. And I have a 58 as well that I thought looked really cool, but I despise that grip. Live and learn. right on with the 1911 as well.

For some, Never

Yep, I shoot the Colt style replicas...even had a pair of Smokewagons. I've tried the OMRV and the NMRV, they just don't fit my hands....feel like a 20oz framing hammer compared to the Colts :wacko: If the Smokewagons work for you give the Rugers to someone else in the family ;) Good Luck :)

Jefro :ph34r: Relax-Enjoy

For me the 58 , 75 & 1890 Remmies don't work for Fast neither does the ORV... the NRV sits in the back-up and lend-out box...

Drop a Navy gripped gun in my hands fits like it's molded to my hand...

Open-tops 7 1/2 inch barrels took about 1/2 a second to used to...

Jabez Cowboy

Shot my fancy new set of Vaqueros this weekend (this completes the last of three sets for the family) but did so to great dissapointment. I'm not nearly as comfortable with the lower hammer and heavier pistol compared to my Smokewagons. My times were significantly lower - to the tune of 3-4 seconds as learning to manipulate the guns quickly wasn't coming easily.

So how many thousand of rounds does it take before YOU are ready to shoot a set of pistols at a match competitivley? I'm used to times in the mid to low 20's, but this last match was low to mid thirties. I'm trying to remind myslef and it's new pistols, new holsters and it's going to take time to get back up to speed. They've already been slicked up by the Briskoe Kid at Cowboy Shooters supply and they feel great in the hand. (just need to get them short stroked)

On the positive side I'm really liking the Doc Noper rig I picked up from Cowby Carty, they're incredibly well built, position well and will make for a fine base for what I feel will be a competitive setup. I'm plannig on keeping my Gibby's fine leather setup for "show" as the are extremely fine grade holsters in a beautiul dark smoke color - totally custom and absolutely beautiful!

Deck I think we're in the same boat (only you're a lot faster). I started CAS this year with .45 Uberti's by Evil Roy. They are as smooth as butter. Then the Wife wanted in so I bought a new set of SASS RNV's in .38. She thought they were too heavy so we bought her a new set of ER Uberti's in .38 (which are as smooth as butter) and I took over the RNV's. Now I suffer serious thumb fatigue when dumping 5 on a single target. Should I short stroke the RNV's or cut losses and go with still another set of Uberti's? Who is the guy for RNV tuning with quick turnaround?

Deck I think we're in the same boat (only you're a lot faster). I started CAS this year with .45 Uberti's by Evil Roy. They are as smooth as butter. Then the Wife wanted in so I bought a new set of SASS RNV's in .38. She thought they were too heavy so we bought her a new set of ER Uberti's in .38 (which are as smooth as butter) and I took over the RNV's. Now I suffer serious thumb fatigue when dumping 5 on a single target. Should I short stroke the RNV's or cut losses and go with still another set of Uberti's? Who is the guy for RNV tuning with quick turnaround?

Hi southpaw, how many times have you run the RNV's in a match? I've only run mine once so I'm not prepared to take drastic measures just yet. If you're intersted in short stroking them (this is the direction I am leaning as well), Roys Creek Dan is the man to talk with. He may very well end up with my SASS RNV's.

"The will to practice to win is more important than the will to win."

Handlebar Doc

Hi southpaw, how many times have you run the RNV's in a match? I've only run mine once so I'm not prepared to take drastic measures just yet. If you're intersted in short stroking them (this is the direction I am leaning as well), Roys Creek Dan is the man to talk with. He may very well end up with my SASS RNV's.

Used them all summer, End Of Trail, club matches, Red Dirt. The Uberti's just feel lighter and quicker.

No one has yet specifically recommended shooting them at PAPER. Shoot them first slowly bullseye style to see where they group, then shoot them at a fresh paper target to see where you are putting them at match speed. The results might be enlightening.

Changing hammers changes your grip, which changes point of impact, etc. And with any new gun the first step is to compare point of impact with point of aim... You don't need surprises even in a game that does not especially emphasize marksmanship.

i think it depends on how dedicated to making the change you are and just how enthralled you might be with this pair ,

i love my vaquero , but ive always shot a mismatched pair , so i seldom notice the change

I got used to my Jimmy Spurs Vaqueros within 5-10 shots. Pretty much any 1911 with a decent trigger would probably be the same.

My Glock 26 is a different story, 1,000+ rounds through it and I'm still having trouble getting quick head shots at anything over 10 yards.

It all depends on the trigger for me. Short, light, and no overtravel leads to accurate shots. The Glock is long, heavy, stacks and has too much overtravel. It's a carry gun though so I'm hesitant to modify the trigger. To

I got used to my Jimmy Spurs Vaqueros within 5-10 shots. Pretty much any 1911 with a decent trigger would probably be the same.

My Glock 26 is a different story, 1,000+ rounds through it and I'm still having trouble getting quick head shots at anything over 10 yards.

It all depends on the trigger for me. Short, light, and no overtravel leads to accurate shots. The Glock is long, heavy, stacks and has too much overtravel. It's a carry gun though so I'm hesitant to modify the trigger. To

Well that makes sense. Toss that plastic thing in the recycling and get yourself another 1911. ;)

Archived