SASS Wire Forum

am I the only one who gets bored after retirement?

Trigger Mike

I retired in February. I bought a small tree farm and a tractor and tilled some, planted and have a few acres of grass that I cut. I take my children fishing, step out the door and shoot some, built a berm for larger calibers down a trail in the woods, shoot with the family there some, go 4 wheeling with the family in the woods some. I restake the property markers with T-post and PVC sometimes, I feed my chickens, work on their pen to improve it etc, yet I am bored and am thinking of going to work again. My wife is appalled since nothing would do me but to retire. She likes having me around she says. We go to other farms and buy fresh strawberries, I help her with the smaller children while she schools the bigger ones. I carry a pistol all day in case I see more snakes( I have seen 6 already but left them alone since they were not dangerous). It's like all I ever wanted. I have time to play with my trains. I watch Dragnet and Adam 12 most afternoons. Why am I not ecstatic like I should be? At the same time if someone wants to drive the 2 hours to the beach or somewhere fun I do not want to go. I like it here so much I do not want to leave and if I do can't wait to get back. It reminds me of when I was deployed with the army. I could not wait to come home, yet when I did I did I wished I was back in the desert.

Your not alone.I really don't like retirement.

Be careful what you wish for, ... you might get it.

Seriously, you obviously spent a great number of years working, and change is hard for you. You just retired 3 months ago,...give it some time. At least you have the support of a wife and family. Do things you want to do. You could also treat retirement as a business where you're the boss. Set yourself up a schedule, make appointments, and stick to it. Say you're not retired, you're self employed!

Some folks are made for retirement, some are not. Retirement life just may not be for you. I've been retired almost 13 years now and have not had a day off or a vacation since. I love it and it's great ta be paid not to go to work. I'm so busy ain't time for yesterday much alone for work. It's raining right now and I'm inside where my job probably would have me outside in it getting soaked to the bone. Listen to that thunder just now and how happy I am not to be out in it! Do what joy you find in something. IMHO.

I guess I have a big problem with getting bored. I just never do. I don't do all that much, but

boredom does not seem to be an issue. Guess I must be lazy by nature. I spent the better part

of 64 years worrying about what someone else wanted done. Now I only worry about what I want

done. Big difference in my attitude.

Ed: Now I have to put on my shoes and go pick up some stuff at the pharmacy. Dang, I hate to

be pressured, and I hate shoes.

You should have taken up a few hobbies before you retired and bought the appropriate equipment to enjoy them. I'm a machinist by trade and have been involed in mold making and repair for the last 26yrs. I really do enjoy enjoy what I do, so I recently bought a Lincoln Tig Welder and I am setting it up on trailer with a generator. I'm also looking for a 1hp Bridgeport and a Clausing lathe. When I retire, I want work on and ride old motorcycles, guns, and cars and shoot every chance I possibly can. I don't think I'm gonna get bored.

Some folks are made for retirement, some are not. Retirement life just may not be for you. I've been retired almost 13 years now and have not had a day off or a vacation since. I love it and it's great ta be paid not to go to work. I'm so busy ain't time for yesterday much alone for work. It's raining right now and I'm inside where my job probably would have me outside in it getting soaked to the bone. Listen to that thunder just now and how happy I am not to be out in it! Do what joy you find in something. IMHO.

Retirement, for me anyway, rocks!

Were I ever financially able to retire, I have a plan...

Do some woodworking again. Kinda ran out of projects for family and money to buy hardwood as my hobby money goes towards shooting now.

Shoot as much as I want, reload in between, travel to more matches.

Volunteer a couple days a week at the animal shelter

Take adult ed classes in things that interest me, dunno what, but who knows

Generally drive my wife crazy.

I'm not really retired but have been on disability for 3 yrs. At first it was good not having to go to work every day and having time to do some things I didn't have time to do. But then I found myself getting bored every so often. That's when I found SASS on the web. So now I look forward to going to the local matches at least once a month. I even started looking at finances to see if I could start shooting. Figured if I could get the firearms I could do it. I already have everything for reloading. So until I can get that super deal on a rifle I spend my time on here watching and helping when I can.

I'm on a layoff right now, I will probably never be able to "retire". I'll die 1/2 way through a weld, they will punch me off the clock, and THEN call the ambulance.

This time is yours, you have earned it. You will learn to enjoy it, you MUST, some of us will never be able to.

I have another 12 years to go, and there will be nothing left at that time as far as Social security. I have been layedoff so mant times, that all my "profit sharing" & 401K are at best dismal.

If you want to "work" voluneer your time to good causes, like elderly people, or wildlife or groups for kids.

You'll find your way, patience is a virtue. ;) Educating people is allways an investment.

Knarley

I sometimes have problems with self motivation. It can be an effort to get started some of the time! Other times it's just like it always was. Go 'til I drop and get up early to get going again!!

Schoolmarm always fussed at me about not getting enough rest. I don't hear that nearly as often as I used to!! :o:lol:

I have been gainfully unemployed since 2005. Don't miss work a bit. When I get bored I find something to do. Whatever I want. It's a good life.

ATTABOY, J. R.!!!!

Me, too. Just spent three days building shelves in the hot tub shed for my wife's soon to be herb garden or flower hot house or whatever she wants. She had 6 days to her retirement, three next week and three the week after. We plan on traveling to far away exotic places like San Diego, Anaheim, Simi Valley, Solvang, Barstow, and the like.

Lots of California we haven't seen yet

Work! Don't need no stinking work! You live in the outdoors you say. Don't take this wrong but are you "watching the forest and disregarding the trees?" It's not for everyone but there's not a day goes by that I'm not trying to identify a plant , bird, or what have you. Doing so is life...concrete, desks, computers, etc. are a poor substitute!

I'll let you know in about 10 years or so. :( I HATE working! Been doing it for 37 years already. Only thing I like about working is the paycheck that pays for everything (especially VACATIONS!) I don't see it being a problem for me, I'm lazy anyway. I'll probably keep working part time when I "retire" to keep my hand in and supplement our income. If I were independently wealthy I'd retire NOW! We have enough to get by, but we like to travel too much. Not planning on quitting and sitting on the porch 365 days/year. Of course things often don't work out as we plan, so we'll see what shakes out.

JHC

Retired eleven years ago end of June, and for the first 5-6 years, I knew I had made a horrible mistake. I missed the job, or rather, the people, more than I ever thought I would. The only thing that kept me from running back screaming and begging for my job back was the thought of my boss. I hated him and the feeling was mutual.

Now I have a different group of friends to hang out with as much or as little as I want. I have hobbies. I have things I enjoy doing (I've found I love cutting grass on my big Kubota commercial mower!) and I get to spend time with my Bride of thirty years.

Oh, yeah, I've got SASS and you guys and gals - for better or worse!

It may be the people I worked with I miss then. I did not mind my job, but fought sleep doing it. My blood sugar was going bad when working. Since I retired I lost weight, I can skip a meal and my sugar not bother me for a couple of hours. I grab a gun and shoot a few rounds when I feel like it. I grab a fishing pole and head to the back yard pond before supper just to kill time. I think memorial day being just another day also may have been part of my problem. I used to be obsessive compulsive about germs etc and now find myself handling chicken poop etc. I keep in touch by text every now and then with one of my coworkers and by email once in a blue moon with the rest. I have hobbies just no interest in following them now for some reason. I feel unproductive unless I see some money generating work or farm work accomplished.

I'm not really retired but have been on disability for 3 yrs. At first it was good not having to go to work every day and having time to do some things I didn't have time to do. But then I found myself getting bored every so often. That's when I found SASS on the web. So now I look forward to going to the local matches at least once a month. I even started looking at finances to see if I could start shooting. Figured if I could get the firearms I could do it. I already have everything for reloading. So until I can get that super deal on a rifle I spend my time on here watching and helping when I can.

what kind of rifle do you need? I have a 1866 carbine in 44-40. I moved too far for most cowboy matches so doubt I ever use it.

Been retired since 2006 , always have plenty to do , just sometimes don`t want to do it , during the summer I like to go to horse races . Go a couple of times a month , makes for a good outing , just started SASS shooting trying to learn , had a blast at Senior Games (Badlands Bar 3 ) , T-Bone & crew know how to throw a party . Decided best thing to do is what YOU enjoy !!! Gamblin` Gaby

We have some cowboy friends that retired in 2003. They were scared to pieces they wouldn't have anything to do with their time. Now they have so much to do, they actually have to give some things up.

Sounds to me that you need to find something personally rewarding and fullfilling to do with your time. When my father retired after 43 years on the job, a friend talked him into volunteer tutoring at the local Jr. college. He retired last week after 20 years of tutoring. He loved it. The only reason he retired is he wanted to spend more time traveling. Is there a Jr. college near you that could use a tutor? Is there an animal sanctuary in need of help? Is there an elderly farmer nearby that could use some help with the chores? Does your church need a handyman? Think of something you would like to do that will satisfy your soul and go find it.

I retired 15 years ago . . . . and I :wub: it. And I ain't been bored yit . . . . .

. . . but I've always had jobs of some sort . . . . . for some years I did freelance work, , . . misc. maintenance and small remodeling gigs. . . . .

. . . and the last few years I've had a truck driving job that is only 4 months of the year ( agricultural hauling in central California ) . . . . it is just great . . the income allows me to buy more TOYS . . . . I look forward to "going to work" . . . and in the fourth month I'm anxious to be "done with work" and head for home . . . . then play "Wild West" for 8 months. :)

do what this guy did!

After I retired, my wife insisted
that I accomp
any her on her trips to Walmart. Unfortunately, like most
men, I found shopping boring and preferred to get in and get out. Equally
unfortunately, my wife is like most women - she loved to browse. Yesterday, my
dear wife received the following letter from Walmart:

Dear Mrs. Samsel:

Over the past six months, your husband has been causing quite a
commotion in our store. We cannot tolerate this behavior and have been forced to
ban both of you from the store. Our complaints against Mr. Samsel are listed
below and are documented by our video surveillance cameras.

1. June 15 -
Took 24 boxes of condoms and randomly put them in people's carts when they
weren't looking.

2. July 2 - Set all the alarm clocks in Housewares to
go off at five minute intervals.

3. July 7 - Made a trail of tomato
juice on the floor leading to the women's restroom.

4. July 19 - Walked
up to an employee and told her in an official voice, "Code 3 in Housewares. Get
on it right away."

5. August 4 - Went to the Service Desk and tried to
put a bag of M&M's on layaway.

6. August 14 - Moved a "CAUTION - WET
FLOOR" sign to a carpeted area.

7. August 15 - Set up a tent in the
camping department and told other shoppers he'd invite them in if they would
bring pillows and blankets from the Bedding Department.

8. August 23 -
When a clerk asked if they could help him, he began crying and screamed, "Why
can't you people just leave me alone?"

9. September 4 - Looked right
into the security camera and used it as a mirror while he picked his nose.

10. September 10 - While handling guns in the Hunting Department, he
asked the clerk where the antidepressants were.

11. October 3 - Darted
around the store suspiciously while loudly humming the "Mission Impossible"
theme.

12. October 6 - In the Automotive Department, he practiced his
"Madonna look" by using different sizes of funnels.

13. October 18 - Hid
in a clothing rack and when people browsed through, yelled "Pick me! Pick me!

14 October 21 - When an announcement came over the loud speaker, he
assumed a fetal position and screamed, "Oh no! It's those voices again!"

And last, but not least,

15. October 23 - Went into a fitting
room, shut the door, waited awhile, then yelled very loudly, "Hey! There's no
toilet paper in here!"

Regards,

Tom Richards
Walmart
Manager

We have some cowboy friends that retired in 2003. They were scared to pieces they wouldn't have anything to do with their time. Now they have so much to do, they actually have to give some things up.

Sounds to me that you need to find something personally rewarding and fullfilling to do with your time. When my father retired after 43 years on the job, a friend talked him into volunteer tutoring at the local Jr. college. He retired last week after 20 years of tutoring. He loved it. The only reason he retired is he wanted to spend more time traveling. Is there a Jr. college near you that could use a tutor? Is there an animal sanctuary in need of help? Is there an elderly farmer nearby that could use some help with the chores? Does your church need a handyman? Think of something you would like to do that will satisfy your soul and go find it.

Yup. There are many charities, schools, churches and agencies that are begging for volunteers of all diferent skill sets.

do what this guy did!

After I retired, my wife insisted

that I accompany her on her trips to Walmart. Unfortunately, like most

men, I found shopping boring and preferred to get in and get out. Equally

unfortunately, my wife is like most women - she loved to browse. Yesterday, my

dear wife received the following letter from Walmart:

Dear Mrs. Samsel:

Over the past six months, your husband has been causing quite a

commotion in our store. We cannot tolerate this behavior and have been forced to

ban both of you from the store. Our complaints against Mr. Samsel are listed

below and are documented by our video surveillance cameras.

1. June 15 -

Took 24 boxes of condoms and randomly put them in people's carts when they

weren't looking.

2. July 2 - Set all the alarm clocks in Housewares to

go off at five minute intervals.

3. July 7 - Made a trail of tomato

juice on the floor leading to the women's restroom.

4. July 19 - Walked

up to an employee and told her in an official voice, "Code 3 in Housewares. Get

on it right away."

5. August 4 - Went to the Service Desk and tried to

put a bag of M&M's on layaway.

6. August 14 - Moved a "CAUTION - WET

FLOOR" sign to a carpeted area.

7. August 15 - Set up a tent in the

camping department and told other shoppers he'd invite them in if they would

bring pillows and blankets from the Bedding Department.

8. August 23 -

When a clerk asked if they could help him, he began crying and screamed, "Why

can't you people just leave me alone?"

9. September 4 - Looked right

into the security camera and used it as a mirror while he picked his nose.

10. September 10 - While handling guns in the Hunting Department, he

asked the clerk where the antidepressants were.

11. October 3 - Darted

around the store suspiciously while loudly humming the "Mission Impossible"

theme.

12. October 6 - In the Automotive Department, he practiced his

"Madonna look" by using different sizes of funnels.

13. October 18 - Hid

in a clothing rack and when people browsed through, yelled "Pick me! Pick me!

14 October 21 - When an announcement came over the loud speaker, he

assumed a fetal position and screamed, "Oh no! It's those voices again!"

And last, but not least,

15. October 23 - Went into a fitting

room, shut the door, waited awhile, then yelled very loudly, "Hey! There's no

toilet paper in here!"

Regards,

Tom Richards

Walmart

Manager

I gotta try some of those.

I'll doubt if I'll ever retire completely. I'm sort of semi-retired and being self employed is great. I can put in a few hours a day and make some decent money. My SS would be kinda hard to live on and I don't want to deplete whatever I have saved. I'll keep working until I drop, part time anyway but I like what I do.

Rye :)

I hope to retire in about 15 yrs. May do some part time then, tow boating is a 24/7 business, I may cut a deal with my boss to take all night/weekend call. Just have to see how the old 401k does!

M old dad always said his perfect retirement job would be to clean the pole between dancers at a hootchie cootchie joint!

one job I may put in for is the dumpster greeter. Here we take our garbage to the dumpsters and a couple of people sit in a shed and tell you which dumpster to use so you don't put plastic in the metal dumpster etc.

I'm 21 months until the next plateau in my life, and yes I am counting. I enjoy my job, but there has to be more to life than just blowing stuff up for a living. I look around the house and I see no shortage on the "honey do" list, plus with shooting 20-25 matches a year I just can't find the time to golf, or for that matter zero the 4 new guns that I bought for long range shooting in the last 3 years. I have no doubt in my retired military and semi retired civil servant mind that I'll go into retirement with lots to do.

PS I also have all 20 seasons of Gunsmoke, and I've only just started Season 8!

most days I am so busy I wouldn't have time to work. I really enjoy retirement. The only paroblem for me was that I used up so much of my body doing 43 years or working with dangerous mental patients, I don't have a lot of physical skills left now such as:

I told myself I would wait til I retired to learn to play the guitar. I now have 4 of them, but some days a chord is hard to come by.

I could list a couple more things, but ya get the idea....

but like UB says retirement ROCKS!!

curley

Archived