SASS Wire Forum

am I the only one who gets bored after retirement?

Trigger Mike

I retired for 7 1/2 years and was not bored, but began to feel like I was just wasting time, waiting to die....You can only mow the lawn, wash and wax the cars, and shoot and plink so long, then I began feeling like I needed to do something productive. I went back to work and am happier than when I was not obligated to anything. I believe the main thing is to keep your mind active and sharp by using your talent and skill to help others......

It may be the people I worked with I miss then. I did not mind my job, but fought sleep doing it. My blood sugar was going bad when working. Since I retired I lost weight, I can skip a meal and my sugar not bother me for a couple of hours. I grab a gun and shoot a few rounds when I feel like it. I grab a fishing pole and head to the back yard pond before supper just to kill time. I think memorial day being just another day also may have been part of my problem. I used to be obsessive compulsive about germs etc and now find myself handling chicken poop etc. I keep in touch by text every now and then with one of my coworkers and by email once in a blue moon with the rest. I have hobbies just no interest in following them now for some reason. I feel unproductive unless I see some money generating work or farm work accomplished.

T.G.,

When is the last time you had a complete medical examination?

You state your blood sugar was going bad while working but now you skip a meal. Blood sugar levels are controlled by proper diet and, if needed, medication, not by skipping meals.

Correct me if I am wrong but I get the impression that your "retirement" was not really your idea. If so you may be depressed. Depression is not something you just snap out of. You certainly have a full plate of daily activities but find them all unfulfilling.

As for the term "retirement" it means different things to different folks. Some folks it means becoming house husbands. For me it just means changing employers and occupations. I retired from a employer after working for them for 23 years and never have regretted it for one minute despite all of the economic hardships that we have had since them. My retirement goal was too start my own small business but, thankfully, Obama killed my plan before I got it off the ground. (I say thankfully because I had not invested money in it yet. Otherwise I would have lost a mint.) Since my wife will probably keep working another 10 years I would also like to stay employed until she decides to retire.

Your lack of fulfillment may be due to a medical problem which may in turn be creating your depression. Or your lack of fulfillment could be from simply not finding something you truly enjoy. I have a friend that was much like you. In his first three months of retirement he 1) put new siding on his house, 2) repainted the outside of his house, 3) totally refinished his entire basement and 4) got a puppy. One of the projects he has got involved in which he seems to really enjoy is working on restoring the B-29 bomber "DOC".

What was it Rooster Cogburn said? "I am retired, reformed and redeemed"?

Archived