SASS Wire Forum

Printed Shooters Handbooks

How important do you think it is to have a printed shooters handbook provided to the shooter for a State Championship match or higher?  How would you feel if you were told no printed shooters hand book will be provided, you must print your own at home or download it to your phone?  Are shooters handbooks important to you?  I personally like having one so I can walk the stages prior to the match and make notes about how I want to shoot the stages.  I like recording my time in the book after each stage.  I save all of my shooters handbooks from every match I attend.

During a posse marshal walkthrough, I make notes in the handbook about clarifications and other tidbits.  If the PM is not provided a shooters book and does not have a printer at home, are they supposed to remember the clarifications?  That seems troublesome.

I say they are very important and should be provided.  What do you say?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I would definitely want one! I also save them all, but admit I have very rarely ever looked back at one. During the match I frequently refresh my memory to the sequence. If I had to print my own it wouldn't be the end of the world however so long as it doesn't change after publishing. Prefer it to be handed out at registration.

• Like 2

If I went to a shoot and did not recieve a shooters book...it would probably be the last time I shot at that shoot. I too write stage clarifications in the book during the PM walk through. I don't expect one at a monthly match...but at any large shoot I do. Just had to clarify. At monthly matches...any clarifications are usually written on the stage copy 

Edited by Old Man Graybeard
  • Like 3

If it's an annual multi-day, state or higher, I usually expect a shooters book.  Doesn't have to be fancy,  just show the stages.

BS

• Like 4

I will be curious how this goes, I personally would rather have the book given to me at registration. I will not have my computer nor phone on the range.

How many shooters will not print off their own copy?

How many shooters will forget to bring their copy?

There is neither phone or internet service at the range.

I don't think this is the right place to save a dollar.

Just my view but we will see.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2

Shooter Handbooks are important for Shooters and Posse Marshals.  At Bordertown, PM’s get one at the walk through prior to the main match. It has space at the bottom of each page to take notes regarding each stage.  This helps keep continuity thro’ the match.  Each shooter gets a Shooter’s Book at registration.  It provides the stages as well as shooting schedules(which is good to know) as well as info on sponsors and vendors. There is a significant cost to provide them but it is well worth the expense. 

Is a shooter’s book needed for a monthly match?  No - At anything bigger? Yep - it is an important part of a larger match. Will everyone read it - nope!  But, they should. There could be important information  prominently displayed they need to know about(like the dates of the next year’s match). 

• Like 8

I printed out the stages and schedule, nothing else. I like having the book but understand why they may not be available, cost comes to mind.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Uncle Ethan # 94321 said:

I printed out the stages and schedule, nothing else

Maybe I'm the oddball here, but I do not own and printer and will not buy one.  I've had several printers and none of them were ever any good past a few months.

• Like 3

A Shooters Handbook is nice.  Since I only pay attention to the information at each stage, I really don't care and don't se it as a necessity.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Lucky Lead Pepper said:

Maybe I'm the oddball here, but I do not own and printer and will not buy one.  I've had several printers and none of them were ever any good past a few months.

They are a pain at times and replacements cartgages expensive

• Like 1

I had a bit of a semantics problem at first.  To me the Shooters Handbook is a SASS Rules document.

On bigger matches, I like the printed shooters "booklet".  Not everyone, and particularly not people on the road, have easy access to a printer --or to the Internet.  

Publishing it on the web also leaves little choice about whether or not to release stage descriptions in advance.   I also like to collect the booklets, just for the fun of looking at them months or years later. 

Edited by Dusty Devil Dale
  • Like 3

First time I’ve ever heard of this in 24 years for any annual match. Apparently the shooters handbook has been made up because shooters have received a copy in their email, but nowhere in the email does it say that a book won’t be provided at the shoot. Anyone that doesn’t follow the sass wire or facebook wouldn’t know that. Definitely not the place to cut cost. I’m wondering if someone just dropped the ball on getting it to the printer on time. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Shooter's handbooks are a MUST at State or larger and should be supplied by the match host, not printed out by the attendee at his/her expense.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

25 minutes ago, Uncle Ethan # 94321 said:

They are a pain at times and replacements cartgages expensive

I have a printer but due to lack of use, the ink dried up/went bad...I'm not going to buy more for $50 (mol) just to print out...well, anything and then have it dry up again.

• Like 2

One plus for the handbook that has not been mentioned is match sponsors. Clubs sell pages of advertising that is a big part of match profits. Ask Scarlet.

Lucky :D 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Out of entry fees, stage sponsors, and vendors fees, I’m not sure why there isn’t funds for a shooters handbook if money is the issue 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

I have a printer but due to lack of use, the ink dried up/went bad...I'm not going to buy more for $50 (mol) just to print out...well, anything and then have it dry up again.

I've got an HP all in one printer and the cartridges are expensive. I tried the cheapos from Amazon for $20, the set comes with 2 large black as well. So far they work just fine and last forever comparatively. I haven't tried them for photo printing however.

I could live without it at monthlies if the stage instructions and starting line were posted on the loading table for final review. I also like the starting line posted at the starting position. It never ceases to amaze me how quickly I forget the line and "shooter's ready" seems lame!

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Lucky R. K. said:

One plus for the handbook that has not been mentioned is match sponsors. Clubs sell pages of advertising that is a big part of match profits. Ask Scarlet.

Lucky :D 

I was wondering how venders felt about no printed book.

Edited by Uncle Ethan # 94321
  • Like 1

I've always felt the shooters' book was an important part (or a requirement, even) of a state match, or a club's annual match.  Not only does it allow the shooters to study the stages prior to shooting them, it allows them to make notes on the pages as to how they might want to shoot the stage, record their scores, etc.  This is also where the shooter's will find notes on the sponsors of the stages, of the match, etc., as well as the schedule for the match and other important information.

Yes, the match hosts will spend a minimum of afew buck each for the books but it really is a necessity that will contribute greatly to how smoothly the match will run and how much the shooter's enjoy it.

I keep all of the shooters books from matches I attend and freely borrow stages from them to use at our monthly events.

• Like 4

My local club is hosting the State Championship in September.  The club officers discussed the match handbook last night.  Sponsors will get ad space in the handbook.  We expect ads will more than pay for the handbook.  I keep handbooks from all the matches I attend and use them to develop stages when it's my turn to be match director.  We now use a printer in Amarillo since none of our locals wanted to work with us.

Edited by Edward R S Canby, SASS#59971
  • Like 4

As the current print coordinator for EOT we have strived to improve the shooters' handbook or as we now refer to it as the "Event Book" each year. We review the surveys that are sent out after the match and see what needs to be changed, improved or added to the book for the following year. This year 2024 we included the Wild Bunch stages and the Plainsman stages which shooters of those events seemed to like. We try to provide as much information about events, locations and times as we have when the book goes to the print. As in life, things get changed at the last minute for what ever reason. We try to post that information at the range once the event starts. I don't see EOT or Land Run ever being held without an Event Book.

TB

• Like 8

18 minutes ago, Gateway Kid SASS# 70038 Life said:

So Turquoise Bill, do you have an estimated cost per book handy?

As a premier event that would be helpful information to me. 
Regards

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:
Gateway Kid

I'm in the printing industry;  not only is it dependent on how many pages are in the book -- a lot will depend on the type of paper you use, how many of your pages are color, and the options you use for the booklet, like stapling, folding and trimming.  I'm sure some of the other folks here can tell you what they paid.  I think ours for the local match were $2-$3 each, which includes a color cover (one-sided), but I did all the assembly in house.  You might want to contact printer for an accurate estimate to see if it will fit your budget.  Best wishes.

• Like 5

On 4/12/2024 at 11:43 AM, Gateway Kid SASS# 70038 Life said:

So Turquoise Bill, do you have an estimated cost per book handy?

As a premier event that would be helpful information to me. 
Regards

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:
Gateway Kid

We printed 800 Event Books this year, each shooter, vendor & sponsor gets a copy as well as conventioneers. The cost was about $6.85 per book. Print specs: 52 pages, 11" X 17" saddle stitched, folded and face trimmed to finish size of 8-1/2" X 11" matte coated 70 lb text cover, 70 lb uncoated inside pages, printed in full color.

Hope this helps, but hey it's the World Championship!

P.S. I worked in the printing industry for 50+ years:rolleyes:

Edited by Turquoise Bill, SASS #39118
  • Like 3

Staples, Pronto etc may be a printing option as well. But you would have to do the layout work.

In my opinion, a first class shooter's book & classy awards (especially buckles) are VERY important for a good impression of the match. Certainly for annuals, state championships, & above. If either appears cheap or haphazard, it doesn't reflect well on the match. Molly's buckles are the way to go for state champions (& above). It's also a nice touch for annuals. Two good friends won the overall not long ago at a state match & received very unimpressive awards for the overall win. Not good.

If expense is an issue, raise the registration amount. It's a worthwhile investment for all involved. That's not the place to save money.

My two cents.

• Like 7

4 hours ago, Turquoise Bill, SASS #39118 said:

We printed 800 Event Books this year, each shooter, vendor & sponsor gets a copy as well as conventioneers. The cost was about $6.85 per book. Print specs: 52 pages, 11" X 17" saddle stitched, folded and face trimmed to finish size of 8-1/2" X 11" matte coated 70 lb text cover, 70 lb uncoated inside pages, printed in full color.

Hope this helps, but hey it's the World Championship!

P.S. I worked in the printing industry for 50+ years:rolleyes:

Money well spent, Bill.  

• Like 2

We have always had them printed for our state match and never considered not printing them.  They have run us as much as $7 per booklet and we get between 150 and 200 of them.  It's and expense but it's one that we would not consider doing without.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Woody Shootem, SASS # 24816 said:

Money well spent, Bill.  

Not only money but time. Bill spends 6 months out of every year making that EOT book look amazing.

A little known secret is that he always puts one small error in each book to see who's paying attention... At least that's what he says :lol:.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Woody Shootem, SASS # 24816 said:

I'm in the printing industry;  not only is it dependent on how many pages are in the book -- a lot will depend on the type of paper you use, how many of your pages are color, and the options you use for the booklet, like stapling, folding and trimming.  I'm sure some of the other folks here can tell you what they paid.  I think ours for the local match were $2-$3 each, which includes a color cover (one-sided), but I did all the assembly in house.  You might want to contact printer for an accurate estimate to see if it will fit your budget.  Best wishes.

The SC books are super cool and have the spiral binding! It’s so much easier to use and was cheaper than stapling according to our MD. 

As a shooter, yes on book. As a Sponsor… ABSOLUTELY. I want people to know that I sponsored the match/stage etc. 

Big hugs!

Scarlett

• Like 10

I always print mine to use for notes and walkthroughs the day before the main match.  By the time the main match starts, my hand printed copies are wrinkled, torn, and almost worn out.  Partly from being rolled up in my hands or tossed around.  My lightweight gun cart doesn't have a box big enough for 8 1/2 by 11 paper.

On main match day I use the official booklet to record my scores. The cover is usually thicker paper to keep it in better shape, and sometimes the books are smaller.  Land Run booklets are 8.5" x 5.5", and the historical bits for each stage are very interesting.  Coodos to everyone that works on these. 

handbook page.jpg

Edited by Diamond Jake
  • Like 5

I’m ok without a printed copy. I’ve tried to read thru them before match, ysuslmy just get more confused. Probably 90% if the time I lose them before match is over. But I know a lot of folks use and enjoy them.