SASS Wire Forum

A Good Day To Be Alive

IMG_2627.thumb.jpeg.52d40fec36f9e65cbd5133cebb5ff4ab.jpeg

I got rear-ended Wednesday morning. Then a second time, and a third, And a few more before the vehicle behind me succeeded in pitting me. Spun and flipped.

I'm home, police report filed, seen the doc, got meds, insurance claim opened.

So one might call it road rage, except road rage requires provocation, some reason to trigger an event. I did nothing to provoke an attack. It was an attack.

Letting the Sheriff work it, providing what info I can.

Today is a good day to be alive.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 7

God is good .

All the time !

• Like 1

Holy cow!

Hoping any injuries are minor and heal quickly. 
Praying to our Lord that He holds you and yours in His hands and brings you safely through this. 
Respectfully

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rooster Ron Wayne said:

God is good .

All the time !

It is good this ended where it did. I was trying to figure out any sort of escape or evasion and had few options. Further down the road  the valley gets crowded with businesses and more traffic, I did not want to lead mayhem into it.

There is a very rough patch of ground just past the barn on the left, and I would have had to cross traffic to reach it. If there had been oncoming traffic, I would have had to commit to going further and the options to end this would be few and small. I might have opted to just hit the brakes assuming there was a point with no oncoming traffic, as this would send me in any direction.

Really do miss the car. I renovated it over the last year since getting it. My lady found it but could not afford it at the time. I bought it for fun. Massive parts replacements. Former police Pursuit. Cop suspension. Cop brakes. Cop seating. Some popular after-service mods, I bought it from a young officer.

IMG_0239.thumb.jpeg.a2bcfa27b0d9d02b1037e5f37de69300.jpeg

This was a nice one, no serious damage history, never had the cage or fiberglass seats with pockets in the back for cuffed wrists, the dash was not hacked, it had the Pursuit center console, never had a push bar or top lights so not punched full of holes. It had good seats and carpeted floors rather than rubber mats. Going to be tough to find another like it. Hemi with AWD.

I can't think of any car which would have served me better Wednesday morning.

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

WOW glad to be alive is right!  That does not look good at all.  Did that driver leave after you flipped?  Was there anyone else around to help you?

Glad you are safe!!  It doesn’t seem to take much these days for some idiot to take offense and act the fool!!

Your ride resembling a patrol car MIGHT have been a trigger!  Some of these jackasses don’t need much to set ‘em off!!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Wow, glad you’re okay. What an experience!

Posted (edited)
43 minutes ago, Cowtown Scout, SASS #53540 L said:

WOW glad to be alive is right!  That does not look good at all.  Did that driver leave after you flipped?  Was there anyone else around to help you?

Officially a hit and run, though the insurance adjuster clearly did not find this a routine accident report.

39 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

Glad you are safe!!  It doesn’t seem to take much these days for some idiot to take offense and act the fool!!

Your ride resembling a patrol car MIGHT have been a trigger!  Some of these jackasses don’t need much to set ‘em off!!

It really did not look like a patrol car, no lights or holes from them, no push bar, no spotlight. Have other reasons to not think it was linked in this way, but the details get close to what only the sheriff needs to know at this time. And white is not a color for any of my local cities and counties.

We just laid a local sheriff to rest, and there was a 5-day (successful) manhunt to get his killer. While the criminal element might want to act out, this event does not match how it would play out.

I was in a place I frequent often, but was an hour earlier than I would normally be there. This was random, wrong place at the wrong time.

Maybe the biggest notable factor is it took a mile or more to come to an end, most cars would go off the road after the first hit. An event such as this would be a simple hit and run. Doc it, log it, tow it, done.

Not many who would work to control the vehicle and keep it on the road. I just had no good place to wipe out without predictably bad injuries.

I do thank God for ending it where it ended. Minimal injuries, and no other innocent parties hurt. I want the driver identified, arrested, charged, and convicted.

Edited by John Kloehr
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 4

Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, Cowtown Scout, SASS #53540 L said:

Hit and run. Well, hit and hit and hit and hit and more and run.

After I got out of the seatbelt and onto the headliner, I started moving to the back of the car and going for my carry. I had no idea who this was (still do not), and did not know if he was going to stop to finish business. No doubt this crossed the line for risk of death or serious bodily injury. As I reached for my holster snap, I did register I had two and then three friendlies outside the car.

One managed to pull the passenger door open and help me crawl out.

It was late Thursday before I processed enough of the events to come to a really nice realization...

One of the items spilled from the trunk (trunk was blown open on the first strike, so could not see anything out the rear view mirror) was an empty kitty litter jug. It had a target pasted over the front and riddled with holes.

Which lead to a discussion about firearms. And what each of them was carrying.

Those that stopped had my back and it took me a day and a half to realize this. I thank them from the bottom of my heart.

Edited by John Kloehr
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

I rejoice that you still draw breath.

I have no way of knowing if you were mistaken for someone else.

Free advice omitted as you're sensible enough to tend necessaries.

• Like 1

I am glad that you are  OK. 

I hope the police catch the thug that did this. It would be nice to know why he did it.  Maybe there is enough damage to his vehicle to  make it easy to find.

REALLY glad to hear you survived! I’m guessing you’ll be sore for a bit. :)

The pic below is my wife’s car (the red Buick Encore) after a 22-car pileup on I-70 4 years ago. She survived with 6 broken ribs and sternum. Since the collision happened on a bridge, it took first responders 2 hours to get to her and cut her out of the car.

It was a smallish car, but the cabin remained intact. She bought another to replace it. Thank God for angels and modern engineering. 

image.jpeg.ec8fd0e8943d8e6e4cd43dface9dae23.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

I am glad you’re all right John Kloehr. Cars can be replaced, but watch your six when out and about just in case this is personal for some d’bag. 

• Like 1

That is so bizarre John, hope you are ok. Also, hope the law catches the ahole.

Thank God you are OK and thank God for modern engineering.  I too hope they catch this *#$@ and bring them to justice.  As difficult as it is, cars can be replaced, you can not.

• Like 3

I'm thankful you're still in one piece. Take care of yourself!

Stuff like this happening more and more frequently is making me seriously think about getting forward and rearward dashcams.

I guess some people are considering not driving at all.  So much more dangerous than answering a phone. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Stuff like this happening more and more frequently is making me seriously think about getting forward and rearward dashcams.

I guess some people are considering not driving at all.  So much more dangerous than answering a phone. 

Problem with 99% of all dash cams is the video quality is not good enough to be able to read a license plate. 

• Like 1

John Kloehr:

Did your vehicle still have the "Police Interceptor" plaque on the trunk lid?

We had one similar occurrence:

The nutbar saw the "Police Interceptor" plaque on the trunk of a Crown Vic, and decided to play Bumper Cars with the lady who was driving it.

It was a former Police vehicle, driven by a civilian.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

21 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

In CA, why bother?
My experience with the police and crime, is they only come out for blood or dead bodies.  Or bikinis, if in San Diego.
In my town, we have crystal clear photos of thieves, caught in the act, and their license plates.
And nothing comes of it.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

never had a dash cam , but im considering it now - question is , do you need a front and a back , then i ask do you need side ones too ? i know the metro busses here had seven in the 90s [saved my butt in an accident]  but they could afford it , i wonder if i could ? 

so much to consider .................................

Thank God you are okay!

9 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

9 hours ago, bgavin said:

In CA, why bother?
My experience with the police and crime, is they only come out for blood or dead bodies.  Or bikinis, if in San Diego.
In my town, we have crystal clear photos of thieves, caught in the act, and their license plates.
And nothing comes of it.

31 minutes ago, watab kid said:

never had a dash cam , but im considering it now - question is , do you need a front and a back , then i ask do you need side ones too ? i know the metro busses here had seven in the 90s [saved my butt in an accident]  but they could afford it , i wonder if i could ? 

The helmet cam I was wearing when I had my bike crash in 2019 gave the Highway Patrol and my insurance company all the evidence and info they needed to prove the girl that cut me off and hit me and committed the following infractions: 

1. Did not look in her mirrors or look before changing lanes. My video showed she didn’t bother to turn her had at all. 

2. She failed to signal.

3. She made an illegal lane change and crossed 2 double yellow lines exiting the car pool lane thus she was charged with reckless driving.

4. The above actions also got her a charge of reckless endangerment. 

All this from just a couple of seconds of video from my helmet camera. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

CA Highway Patrol is a different animal from local police departments,

A whole lot.

Insurance companies have a vested interest (read: money) so I am positive they welcomed any evidence that would get them off the hook.

I'm glad it worked out well for you, and even more glad you were not injured and now walking with a cane... as I see so many old bikers do today.

9 hours ago, watab kid said:

I'm looking into the same thing.  There are many out there to choose from.  Here are some good reviews to help get you started.  The Best Dash Cams for 2024 | PCMag.  (I gave them my spoof email to unlock).  Here's another good one because they give you things to consider when buying a dash cam at the bottom of the review.  Best dash cams 2024: Reviews and buying advice | PCWorld.

Good luck.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Road Rage incidents do Not require any provocation at all. There are simply too many drunks and lunatics driving out there. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1