SASS Wire Forum

It's chilly out

Last night set a record low here in Helena for January 11th, today is supposed to set a record low for January 12th, and tomorrow is supposed to set a record low for January 13th - thirty four below zero. The current record low for the day is -30. Less than a week ago, it was in the 40's, and in another week, it will be in the 40's again. Currently, it's -22, and that will be the high for the day.

This old house is so poorly constructed, I can't keep it above 60 in my bedroom without turning on the electric heat, and I'm too cheap to do that, so I'm sleeping in my recliner close to the wood stove for a few nights. :P

• Like 7

You've shown us pictures of your house.   And powder inventory.  I wouldn't light a fire anywhere in there!!:o

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

19* here in SGF.

Was 39* at 6am. :huh:

It could be worse...we could have to play football in Kansas City tomorrow night!!  :lol:

• Haha 1

Relatively mild here: minus 5 and dipping a little cooler tonight.

Confusing snow fall alerts; one saying 25 to 35 CM, winds and drifting snow, others 10 to 15 CM overnight, but possible freezing rain and ice pellets!

Oh well. Snow blower is gassed up and I just checked the Generac. Love that beast. Powers the entire house and all the appliances.

• Like 1

New Years Day 1969 it was -52 deg. F. in Great Falls, and there was NO WIND! Couple of years later I heard (left the end of that January for Colorado) it was -54 deg. F.! With a wind chill thrown in, at -60, try manipulating the controls of a Swiss-made theodolite surveying in a Minuteman I Launch Facility! :o 

Cheer up. In another six months we'll all be complaining about the heat! :rolleyes:

• Like 3

Wow -34 !!!! That’s really cold! It was 40 here today dropping into the 20’s this weekend with single digit lows. Brrrr……..that’s ABOVE zero btw

We're in the upper 20's now with wet snow coming:( changing to rain in the morning. We used to get a 10 day or so span of -30F every winter, now usually on get down to -20+. I hate this warm, cold,mud, ice, snow, rain BS:P 

2 hours ago, Warden Callaway said:

It's dropped 25 degrees since sunup. Now in the teens with 26mph winds.  Skiff of snow and sleet - drifting. Mary and sisters are determined to attend funeral of brothers-in-law on Sunday in St. Louis. 

I like that..."skiff of snow".  Thanks!  :)

I remember going out snowmobiling in crap like this back in the 70's, and trying to convince myself I was having fun. :lol:

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Three Foot Johnson said:

I remember going out snowmobiling in crap like this back in the 70's, and trying to convince myself I was having fun. :lol:

They are a lot more fun now, you can ride hundreds of miles instead of hundreds of feet before breaking down.  The riding gear is much better too.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Trailrider #896 said:

New Years Day 1969 it was -52 deg. F. in Great Falls, and there was NO WIND! Couple of years later I heard (left the end of that January for Colorado) it was -54 deg. F.! With a wind chill thrown in, at -60, try manipulating the controls of a Swiss-made theodolite surveying in a Minuteman I Launch Facility! :o 

Cheer up. In another six months we'll all be complaining about the heat! :rolleyes:

I quit working on Minuteman sites in 1965. Decided to take Uncle Sams guided tour of SE Asia.

kR

I got about 25 CM (~10") last night with drifting.

It blocked the air inlets for my "On Demand" NG hot water heater and the outlet for the NG furnace and I had a three foot drift to cut through, with the snow blower, before I could shovel out the inlets and outlets.

No plows yet on our street, but the temperature is rising and I'm seeing ice pellets and some rain mix.

OH GOODY!

I'll have to keep my eye open for the plows depositing a wet, slushy mound in the front of my driveway. I'm right on the corner of Findlay Creek Drive and the plow gathers all the crap from there and my driveway is the first one that is open from the corner, so I get quite a load.

If it freezes, I'm  'd

SCREW OIP.jpg

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

I got about 25 CM (~10") last night with drifting.

It blocked the air inlets for my "On Demand" NG hot water heater and the outlet for the NG furnace and I had a three foot drift to cut through, with the snow blower, before I could shovel out the inlets and outlets.

No plows yet on our street, but the temperature is rising and I'm seeing ice pellets and some rain mix.

OH GOODY!

I'll have to keep my eye open for the plows depositing a wet, slushy mound in the front of my driveway. I'm right on the corner of Findlay Creek Drive and the plow gathers all the crap from there and my driveway is the first one that is open from the corner, so I get quite a load.

If it freezes, I'm  'd

SCREW OIP.jpg

Do it the NY way.  Stop the driver and give him $20.  He'll probably push the load down the road.  ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

When and if it ever snows enough for the plows to get out around here, they only plow the interstate highways and major thoroughfares.

Ain’t NEVER seen a plow on our street!

• Sad 1

This post about cold reminds me that twice in my life (so far) I have been living in a town that had the low for the nation on a particular day.

Oddly enough , both times the low temp was -40 F. The first time was in Havre , MT in 1973 , the second time it was here in Vernal , UT in 1978.

That winter in Montana was also the only time I ever witnessed a Chinook. In about two hours time went from around 10 degrees to 70 degrees.

What a mess.

Rex :D

1 hour ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

When and if it ever snows enough for the plows to get out around here, they only plow the interstate highways and major thoroughfares.

Ain’t NEVER seen a plow on our street!

I70 runs right through our county.  It gets priority by local MoDot.  Then they fall on US63 and US54. Then secondary state roads.  County usually does hills and other known problem areas.  Otherwise,  you're on your own. Uncle got down in a bad snowstorm and they sent the State National Guard out for him. 

18 minutes ago, Rex M Rugers #6621 said:

This post about cold reminds me that twice in my life (so far) I have been living in a town that had the low for the nation on a particular day.

Oddly enough , both times the low temp was -40 F. The first time was in Havre , MT in 1973 , the second time it was here in Vernal , UT in 1978.

That winter in Montana was also the only time I ever witnessed a Chinook. In about two hours time went from around 10 degrees to 70 degrees.

What a mess.

Rex :D

And I saw it go the other way in about ten minutes time up there! No matter what the weather was when we drove out the base gate, we were equipped for sub-zero and blizzard conditions. In the Judith Basin country there was nothing between you and the Great Slave Lake in Canada...but a barbed wire fence! :P  We used to say, "Colder than the North end of a Southbound missile maintainer!" :rolleyes:

- 40 here last night that is the same by either form of measurement....

But i'm warm inside da House, not planning on venturing outside today...

Jabez Cowboy

• Like 1

I experienced a really cold day as an Air Force Brat at RCAF Cold Lake. 

I think I was in grade 4, when it was decided to send a couple of buses to pick up up in the PMQ's, rather than have us walk the mile or so, from the base housing to the Aero-Medical Centre, near the flight line, where our temporary class rooms were, while they were building our school, (Biggin Hill)

It was reported as minus 50, but strangely it didn't really feel like it. Dry cold I guess., We just bundled up, with a scharf over our mouths and nose etc. and watched each other for frostbite.

Minus 40 for a week or two was not unusual.

Kids. I guess we were tougher then, than we are now. 

I tossed a couple logs in the stove this morning, then opened the fridge & freezer doors to help warm it up a little quicker.

• Haha 7

-40° this morning in Central Montana, -50° at a friend's place in the Big Open North and East 40 minutes.  Presently a balmy -17°.  A bit ago, just let my little Lab out and two big Coyotes came through the canyon.  Out with a rifle, and my wife out to fetch the dog.  All 60 pounds of long haired Lab chased them away and I never got a shot.  Lucky this time, afraid he was going to get eaten.

• Like 1

It looks like Great Falls hit -36 last night. My daughter had -37 reporting on her phone. A week from tomorrow it's predicted to be 47 above, an 83 degree difference. :blink:

GFweather.jpg

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

Kids. I guess we were tougher then, than we are now. 

We all were.

I was on deployment to Norway for a Winter exercise once. The entire three weeks we were there it got WARM enough to snow ONCE.:o Tt was already three feet deep, so that wasn't a problem. :P

The one time it did get that warm, we were outside having snowball fights. Our Norwegian Marine advisers just watched and shook their heads.:rolleyes:

Edited by Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770