SASS Wire Forum

Do I do it?

I have a Model 97 shotgun that I got recently. Based on the serial number it was manufactured in the year 1900. Its in great condition as far as I can tell (down to the checkering on the hammer being pristine) Minus the finish coming off revealing a fantastic patina, and it shoots great. It also has an incredibly long barrel. So the question is, do I take it to a gun shop and have them cut down the barrel to an appropriate usable length, or do I leave it in its original form? I release the chat to duke it out.

image.thumb.jpeg.53a87e27c51642d2b2115fc018fe363b.jpeg

As stated above, it's yours so do as you want. However, I do have some long barreled 97's and an 87 and have no desire to cut them. I like them as they are as well as some long barreled rifles that I use.

Edited by Injun Ryder, SASS #36201L
  • Like 3

If the gun has significant collector's value (or significant original/ current condition value to you) - you don't cut it or subject it to the abuses found in a competition environment.

(but since they made over half a million 97's; excepting a pristine Black Diamond Trap gun - it really doesn't have any significant collectors value). 

If the gun is for competition - you don't concern yourself with maintaining originality or for that matter anything other than making it the best tool for your purposes.  (cut the barrel, shorten/ re-angle the butt, action job, etc.).

So the only question is why did YOU purchase the gun?

Is it a collectors item or a competition tool?

• Like 2

My worthless opinion is that since it appears to be all original (non-modified), in good condition, and it's so early production, I would leave it as-is, and not over-use it. I personally love the early 3 screws with their "round knob” style pistol grip – I think they are beautiful.

Assuming my intended purpose was competition, I would look for a later, non-three screw....or better yet a Chinese copy, to modify and abuse.

But in the end, it's yours, and your call.

Edited by Sammy1897

If you want to keep it in nice condition, keep it away from cowboy action. If you are going to use it for cowboy action, it will get beat up anyway. Cart dings, dropping it back on the props during shooting, etc.   Try it with the long barrel first. If you don’t like it, cut it. Or keep it home for hunting bunnies. 

Just my 2 pennies…………

Sam Sackett 

• Like 1

Howdy Jed,

I'll add my opinion, which, like all the others here, is worth every penny you paid for it. I don't really have an opinion on cutting the barrel, other than I kind of like the old time looks of a long barreled shotgun. I would offer that you shoot it as is for a bit to see how you like it and if a model of the age is the right choice for our game. If it meet you needs, do as your conscience dictates. If it doesn't meet your needs think about passing it on (as in selling it) and using the proceeds to get something that better meets your needs.

I feel very strongly either way,

Rev. Chase

• Like 1

Get a second one, then you can cut one and keep the original barrel length on the other. I have a 2 12ga and 2 16ga with one barrel left original and the other cut to 18.5". Long barrel when flyers are a part of a stage.

Don't cut it!

I used to use a 20" 97, and I wanted to get a long barreled one, just to have, and when I finally found one, I used at a shoot on a lark.   After that, it was my primary main match shotgun.  I strenuously object to the idea that long barreled shotguns are not good for our game.   Try it, you just might like it.

And, it is very easy to find short barreled 97's, originals and reproductions.   It's getting harder and harder to find long barreled originals, and long barrel reproductions don't exist.

You have an excellent, unmodified gun.  Don't cut it.  You can't go back if you do.   And even if you decide that you don't like the long barrel for SASS, save it for cowboy trap.  

But seriously, long barrels are great.  I almost never miss with them, something I can't say about the short barrels.  

I find the same to be true with my SxS's  I'll take my 30" FF Parker over my 19" no choke one any day of the week.-

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sammy1897 said:

I personally love the early 3 screws with their "round knob” style pistol grip – I think they are beautiful.

Of course... But the point of my comment is that they break.

Phantom

• Like 1

I had one with full long barrel. In great shape but reblued. I made some minor repairs and shot it in one match and went back to double.  I sold it and made a couple bucks off it.  Don't know if he cut it.

It isn’t that hard to cut the barrel yourself to whatever length that you want. Installing a bead is pretty easy too. If you’re going to use it at matches it’s probably going to get beat up and worn to a degree so cutting down the barrel of a gun that won’t have much collector value isn’t that big of a sin, doubt you’ll go to hell for it.:D

59 minutes ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

Don't cut it!

I strenuously object to the idea that long barreled shotguns are not good for our game.   Try it, you just might like it.

But seriously, long barrels are great.  I almost never miss with them, something I can't say about the short barrels.  

How often do you shoot thru windows and around barriers?

And do the tenths of seconds thrown away with the longer barrel matter to you?

If someone doesn't want to cut their gun - that is not a sin.

A lot of folks use and enjoy longer barrels.

And I won't presume to tell anyone how to play - do whatever makes you happy.

But if someone is concentrating on the competition aspect - the longer barrel is leaving time on the table.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

How often do you shoot thru windows and around barriers?

And do the tenths of seconds thrown away with the longer barrel matter to you?

A lot of folks use and enjoy longer barrels.

But if someone is concentrating on the competition aspect - the longer barrel is leaving time on the table.

I go through windows and stuff at every match that has them.  You quickly learn how to navigate around them.

The 10ths of a second are much better lose then having to shoot again at the same target that you missed.   No one is perfect, but I hardly ever miss with the long barrel.   I can't say that about the short one.  I also find myself getting the gun on target more quickly.

Although we are very much in the minority, and there is prolly a reason for that, and while I can't count myself among them, I have seen super fast shooters with long barrels that don't seem to be handicapped by them at all.

To each their own, yes.  But the idea that long barrels are not good for the game is a myth.

Sawmill Mary loves her Stoeger Uplander.  I think 28" barrels. She will only shoot Fiocchi light loads.  The hulls are ribbed and the chambers are scored and unmodified.   She doesn't shuck. Just tip up and empties fall out 99% of the time. We first bought the Uplanded at a gun show used at a good price.  When she started shooting, we bought a Stoeger coach gun. I offer her the choice. I figured she would take the coach gun but she wanted the Uplander. Not a speed demon but deadly.  

let's not forget some play this game for different reasons. and I sure don't care if you cut it or save it , But I like short and handy for the way I like to try to play our game .

An Opinion.  Worth just what you're paying for it.  There is still a couple Hundred Thousand '97s in the back of the same number of closets.  Yours has didly squat collector value.  The Butt Stock is at the wrong angle for our game, intended for shooting "up" mostly at Ducks as a "market gun."  Beyond that, Phantom is entirely correct.  Three Screw guns break frequently.  Based on age, your gun most likely has two and a half inch chambering.  Even if mark'd 2 3/4, it isn't.  It will need having the chamber re-cut for modern 2 3/4 inch plastics and the forcing cone lengthened.  Chopping the barrel WILL make it handier.  Adding choke tubes even handier.  Bottom line though, it's YOUR Shotgun.  Make it work for YOU!!  And let us not forget, the appropriate instrument for timing H.K. is either a Sun Dial or an Hour Glass. :rolleyes:  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Are you planning to use it for CAS with the intention of being as competitive (fast) as possible?  Cut it.

Are you planning to use it for CAS and don’t care about speed or placement on the scoresheet?  Cut it or not.

Is it a shotgun that was bought just to have and not used for CAS?  Do not cut it.

• Like 2

personally ive had two - 

the first is a 1909 , in full choke with a similar barrel , its stayed the way i got it ,no sentimental value , and not all that much finish left on it ,  this can always be a cowboy trap gun if not a match gun , its just not in my nature to cut one with a choke in it , not sure why , 

the second is a 1911 , in cylinder bore that i cut , this is intended to be a match gun , finish is gone and no sentimental value here , i might add the trench gun handguard  i have and not use it for the matches , i have the bayonet too , 

bottom line - its yours so you get to decide , there are a lot of them around for now - one day down the road we all might feel differently about these 

A Win 97 made in 1900 likely has a 2-9/16" chamber, not a 2-3/4" chamber.  I would have a smith check this.

If the smith lengthens the chamber, then it is no longer an unaltered gun.

Look, if it's in its original condition and original finish, it has collector value. 

Were a bunch made? Yes... and many of them have been beat to crap!  People will poopoo a 97 like it's a fricken Hi-Point... But it's not.

So, you have a somewhat collectable 97 that isn't ideal for CAS primarily because it's a three screw. If you want a 97 for CAS I would look for another 97. Keep the one you have to preserve a little bit of history.

Phantom

• Like 4

im going to agree with phantom here - you can buy a chinese clone cheap already cut or cut it and you loose nothing in that , if you have a collectible 97 you loose , neither of mine were real collectible condition but they do shoot well yet and i do like the pumps for everything but SASS , id shoot trap with them or sporting clays , they deserve to live on , the one i cut ill never be able to return to original , 

I've decided to keep it the way it is. Thank you all for your input, but damn... y'all are split 50/50.:lol:

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, Jedediah Westwood said:

I've decided to keep it the way it is. Thank you all for your input, but damn... y'all are split 50/50.:lol:

My opinion, for what it is worth (nothin'), is you're making the right decision.   Yes there are a lot of these, but unmodified originals are getting less and less all the time.   If you have a decent one, you owe it to posterity to keep it original and in as best condition as you can.

Obviously, I am gonna agree that you did the right thing.  :)

Opinion has always been divided on cutting the barrels on original 97s, (or, I assume, other "original" long barreled shotguns) with neither side having a clear majority.  (At least, not here on the Wire.)   I have my own ideas on the matter, and other people whom I respect do not share it.   But that's okay.   I still think you may come to enjoy the long barrel, but if not, it's actually pretty easy to find an existing shorty, or a Chinese replica that's short to begin with.

I just wish I could get a 30" full choke barrel for my 93-97!   But I am a strange duck.

im glad to hear it will remain as made , there are a lot out there but itsa still a finite quantity , the chinese clones are still cheap enough to do as you please with and that should be the way