SASS Wire Forum

Shotgun reloading

Rye Miles #13621

This guy makes a good point I think. I figured I’m saving maybe $3.00 a box at the most, I dont go to as many shoots as I once did so that’s another factor.

https://www.fieldandstream.com/does-reloading-actually-save-money/

I sort of agree with him.  I went for over 10 years and didn't reload shotgun shells.  I found it easier and almost as cheap to just buy the flats when I caught them on sale.  Walmart carried AA's and Winchester had a $2.00 per box rebate during dove season. Remember those?  Then 2019 came along.  There was about 2 years when I couldn't find any shells to buy.  I used up all my store bought shells and had to dust off my old Mec Jr.  Fortunately, I still had plenty of reloading components under the bench from the "old" days.  I've been reloading, grudgingly, ever since.  Now I even buy shotgun reloading components as I find them.  I hate reloading shotgun shells.  

The reason they call it the Mec 600 Jr. is because that's how many times you have to pull the handle to load a box of shells.

Can't really buy the load we like.

For sure can't for my grandson. 

Get a pretty good deal on reclaimed shot.

Don't have to worry about IF the store is going to have

what I need when I need it. 

4 minutes ago, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

I sort of agree with him.  I went for over 10 years and didn't reload shotgun shells.  I found it easier and almost as cheap to just buy the flats when I caught them on sale.  Walmart carried AA's and Winchester had a $2.00 per box rebate during dove season. Remember those?  Then 2019 came along.  There was about 2 years when I couldn't find any shells to buy.  I used up all my store bought shells and had to dust off my old Mec Jr.  Fortunately, I still had plenty of reloading components under the bench from the "old" days.  I've been reloading, grudgingly, ever since.  Now I even buy shotgun reloading components as I find them.  I hate reloading shotgun shells.  

The reason they call it the Mec 600 Jr. is because that's how many times you have to pull the handle to load a box of shells.

Even worse than you I have a Lee Load All, makes great reloads but it's a pain in the %^$. I can get Win AA low recoil for $12.95 at WalMart regular price. Sometimes I see them on sale at other places a little cheaper. I do remember the rebates. I go to about 3 shoots a month from April to Nov, sometimes less depending on the weather. I like what he said about not crimping good and shot coming out. I had a bb stuck inside my shotgun blocking the trigger! The cost of shot is through the roof and I haven't priced primers but they're probably up there in the sky as well. I may just go factory from now on. I have about 20 boxes loaded including 5 Factory boxes. I have enough shot and primers for maybe another 20 boxes, maybe!

I hate reloading shotshells too!

When we started, we bought 20 cases for $2.74/box. Yeah they were more stout than I desired, but they were cheap. We bought 15 cases the next year and saved the hulls. both years. I am down to the last few hulls (black Remington) and have been reloading since those first few years.  Once in a while we bought AA featherlites, but they and others are too expensive now. 

Everything is more expensive, but I'd rather save money and you get to load a better round at the same time. 

I go for the sheer convenience of walking down cellar and cranking out what I need. Didn't save much a few years ago, but do now. And I really don't mind doing it. A couple hours and shells for the summer!

16 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

I really have no choice but to reload...not my favorite thing to do.

Phantom

You must be shooting black ??

I load smokeless on a Mec Jr and after a couple loads for Trap or Skeet .

I turn them in to Black Powder loads on a Lee load all for Cowboy.

Then they are junk. 

But then again .

I don't mind loading .

I find it relaxing in the winter season. 

Then I don't have to load all summer long .

If your going to shoot Shoot !

Don't load!

I just picked up a Lee Load All, (my sister-in-law is giving it to me for Christmas). I asked for it because I found a kit for it that’ll let me build 10ga 2 7/8” shells. It will also let me make 3” 12ga shells for my mag fed semi-automatic.

I have an old Dietermeyer semi-progressive 12ga press that makes beautiful 2 3/4” shells. It has a separate resizing fixture.  That press does does just one thing, but it does it very well!!

I to dislike reloading shotgun shells. I bought cases of AAs and STSs when I caught them cheap, on sale, or there was a rebate on them and I still have a couple of cases unopened.  As a result, I’ve acquired about enough empties to fill half or more of a 55gal drum!

I also began collecting and loading brass shotgun shells for Frontiersman a few years ago and I enjoy that for some reason, so I accumulated over 250 of them along with the equipment to load them safely and correctly.

While I’ve been sidelined, I have only been able to putter around. Not a lot that you can do when you’re not supposed to put your foot on the floor. I started sorting through all of my guns, ammunition, equipment, and components and I discovered that I had collected quite an extensive inventory of components that are just sitting around.

SO!!  While I am waiting to complete my recovery, I’m going to assemble those components and return them to my stock of ammo that’s ready to use!!  I can do that sitting down!

I’ve picked up a few more tools and a nice old hardwood desk with several drawers and plenty of space to mount the Load All, the Dietermeyer, my RCBS for the brass shells, and my xl750 too.

At least I won’t be bored for a while!!<_< :lol:

Reload my BP shells, but not enough difference in cost for me to reload 20’s for shooting clays. I still save the hulls, but for now I can buy them for almost the same price. 

When I started shooting BP in the late 1980's it was reload or not shoot.  I already had a MEC 600 Jr that I bought used in the mid 1970s to feed my Skeet habit.   I'd buy a box of Peter's Blue Magics and reload them... buy another box and reload those... when I had 1,000 hulls, I quite buying any new ones... unfortunately that happened about the same time they quit making them.  Since I still like shooting skeet and Blue Magics are (IMO) the very best hulls, I save them for that alone.  I enjoy loading, shotshells, metallic cartridges or C&B revolvers... it's all fun and relaxing if you let it be....  Or you can stress out over the costs and time and not enjoy it.

Now I buy Winchester LNLR and shoot them up in WB and reload them with BP on a Hornady 336.  Quick & easy to crank out a couple of boxes and maintain my inventory of 150 rounds for any match I'm likely to attend.  I'll probably keep buying the LNLR even tho' I have a 1,000 or so empties.  Even at today's prices for components, rolling my own is less than buying new shotshells at today's prices... when they can be found.  

Well, personally I enjoy reloading, and can tailor my loads to my liking.  As far as cost;

25# of reclaimed shot = $40

500 primers                    =$40

500 wads                          =$16

powder for 500 loads  = $40

Total                                 = +$136 for 20 boxes of shells

So, basically 1/2 the price of Winchester LNLR.

The above does not include hulls or labor of course, but as I said, I enjoy reloading, and can reload hulls 6 or 8 times before I have to throw them away.

your prices are no longer relevant , you cannot purchase the components that cheaply today , but i get it that you have yours from before , what i see in this is that you can produce the round you want to shoot - you cant buy it on the open market - and you can produce what you need when you need it 

My situation is unique in a couple of ways.

First, I’m reloading for several people. On a slow month we go through 11 boxes. Sharyn and I shooting four matches each, Iron Cowboy shooting two and Kid Flash shooting one. On a busy one we go through 14 boxes 4-4-4-2. If it’s a busy month with a major match we go through 16+ boxes. Lethal Lizzie doesn’t shoot much, maybe 5-6 matches a year. In a year we probably go through at least 20 cases, maybe 25.

I don’t buy hulls, I buy new Remington GC in minimum lots of 5 cases. November and December are factory months when I’m accumulating once fired hulls for major matches.

A box of shells probably costs me about $7-$8 to reload, so I’m probably saving $2-3 per box times 200-250 boxes so call it $500-$750 a year saved. When it comes to CAS, we spend a fair amount of money.

Second, a pard gifted me with a Ponsness Warren 800 plus a while back and then gave me an auto drive this year, so reloading effort consists of placing a wad then flipping the switch. I can reload a case of hulls in about 30 minutes.

Finally there’s recoil. My loads are probably clocking in at about 950 fps vs factory loads at 1145 fps. Iron Cowboy and I don’t care much either way, but Shootin Sharyn, Kid Flash and Lethal Lizzie do.

31 minutes ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

My situation is unique in a couple of ways.

First, I’m reloading for several people. On a slow month we go through 11 boxes. Sharyn and I shooting four matches each, Iron Cowboy shooting two and Kid Flash shooting one. On a busy one we go through 14 boxes 4-4-4-2. If it’s a busy month with a major match we go through 16+ boxes. Lethal Lizzie doesn’t shoot much, maybe 5-6 matches a year. In a year we probably go through at least 20 cases, maybe 25.

I don’t buy hulls, I buy new Remington GC in minimum lots of 5 cases. November and December are factory months when I’m accumulating once fired hulls for major matches.

A box of shells probably costs me about $7-$8 to reload, so I’m probably saving $2-3 per box times 200-250 boxes so call it $500-$750 a year saved. When it comes to CAS, we spend a fair amount of money.

Second, a pard gifted me with a Ponsness Warren 800 plus a while back and then gave me an auto drive this year, so reloading effort consists of placing a wad then flipping the switch. I can reload a case of hulls in about 30 minutes.

Finally there’s recoil. My loads are probably clocking in at about 950 fps vs factory loads at 1145 fps. Iron Cowboy and I don’t care much either way, but Shootin Sharyn, Kid Flash and Lethal Lizzie do.

You got your hands full!! I’d be reloading for sure! :)

6 hours ago, watab kid said:

your prices are no longer relevant , you cannot purchase the components that cheaply today , but i get it that you have yours from before , what i see in this is that you can produce the round you want to shoot - you cant buy it on the open market - and you can produce what you need when you need it 

I think those prices are a little above what I pay now. His primer price of $40 for 500 is above what I pay, the $16  for wads is about 2-3 dollars more than I pay for wads, the shot and powder are in line with what I pay. Right now the primers that I find are about $70 per 1000 for Cheddites.

kR

PS I haven't seen Winchester LNLR in a store in a couple of years.

4 minutes ago, Kid Rich said:

I think those prices are a little above what I pay now. His primer price of $40 for 500 is above what I pay, the $16  for wads is about 2-3 dollars more than I pay for wads, the shot and powder are in line with what I pay. Right now the primers that I find are about $70 per 1000 for Cheddites.

kR

PS I haven't seen Winchester LNLR in a store in a couple of years.

My local Walmart has them for $12.95 pretty much all the time. The LGS around here has the Lights for $16.95 but never had the LNLR. 

8 hours ago, watab kid said:

His prices are above what I pay...

I just bought components on Friday from my local reloading supply. 

Powder was 28 a bottle

primers are 53.75- 1000

wads were 10.35- 500

shot was 45.90 - 25lbs new not reclaimed.

I load 3/4 oz loads that all adds up to $5.45 a box. Id say that's worth it when its over double for shells in the store.

1 hour ago, The Surgeon said:

His prices are above what I pay...

I just bought components on Friday from my local reloading supply. 

Powder was 28 a bottle

primers are 53.75- 1000

wads were 10.35- 500

shot was 45.90 - 25lbs new not reclaimed.

I load 3/4 oz loads that all adds up to $5.45 a box. Id say that's worth it when its over double for shells in the store.

Those are good prices, better than any around here.

Good Morning Rye.

Like many, I don't look at the price as I am not trying save any money.  Just shooting Back Powder limits where one might purchase such rounds or even GOEX Powder.

I bought several cases of the Winchester LNLR Shot Shells, then I discovered Remington STS and bought several cases of those.  They are still unopened in the garage.

I shoot Smokeless at the Monthlies, as I bought those firearms, and I am going to use them.  I shoot Black at all large Annual and State Matches.  I use completely separate rigs and firearms for each.

I shoot for the fun, dang the cost.  Shooting CAS is my only vice.

51 minutes ago, Mad Dane, SASS#5536 said:

Hey Blackwater-where did you find the kit to load 10 gauge on a Lee Load All?

I’ll send you a PM with the information!

48 minutes ago, Frontier Lone Rider said:

Those are good prices, better than any around here.

The place near me always has good prices. If you ever need anything let me know and I can get stuff and bring it down to matches. 

I figure my cost (no labor of hulls) at about 7.40/box. So I save about $5-6 per box. But…. I like my load, and they are always available!  I generally load 4-500 at a time on a MEC 9000. Once a year I load up a couple hundred BP for plainsman or a BP match. 

I don’t particularly like loading shotgun. But since I switched from a Pacific Hornaday 366 to the MEC at least I dont dread it! 

When I was shooting a lot of clays, I could buy a flat for $54.  Could reload for a bit less than that.  Laid in a lot of components at those prices, so today I am loading for 1/3 to 1/2 the price of current prices.   Then for 28 and 410’s it’s even better.  Just paid $24/box for AA 410’s.  I can reload those for under $4.  

really depends how much you shoot if it’s worth it and how much free time is available as time isn’t free.  For a box or 2 per month, probably not worth reloading, but when I was shooting 8-12 poxes per week, it sure was.  

3 hours ago, Hoss said:

I figure my cost (no labor of hulls) at about 7.40/box. So I save about $5-6 per box. But…. I like my load, and they are always available!  I generally load 4-500 at a time on a MEC 9000. Once a year I load up a couple hundred BP for plainsman or a BP match. 

I don’t particularly like loading shotgun. But since I switched from a Pacific Hornaday 366 to the MEC at least I dont dread it! 

Hoss, are you loading your BP loads on the 9000 also? I have the 9000E and do smokeless on it but bought a Load All to start loading some BP for some matches that I am considering trying different categories in.  I considered trying to load BP on the 9000 and thought if I took the powder bottle off and just pulled the shell out and loaded BP manually on that stage then put back in and continue the cycle it might work out ok. I use the 3.1 cc dipper with APP for 36 grains of powder. It seems to be a good load.

TM

15 hours ago, watab kid said:

No, those are current prices at my LGS as of today.

1 minute ago, Texas Maverick said:

Hoss, are you loading your BP loads on the 9000 also? I have the 9000E and do smokeless on it but bought a Load All to start loading some BP for some matches that I am considering trying different categories in.  I considered trying to load BP on the 9000 and thought if I took the powder bottle off and just pulled the shell out and loaded BP manually on that stage then put back in and continue the cycle it might work out ok. I use the 3.1 cc dipper with APP for 36 grains of powder. It seems to be a good load.

TM

I did use my 9000. I use 777 for BP shotgun. I can’t remember which bushing I used. I bought a whole bunch of 3D printed ones. They work fine. I load by volume, slightly less powder than a square load with 7/8oz shot. 

it is kind of a pain to switch out powder and bushing, which is why I only do it once a year. Gives me a good reason to give the MEC a good thorough cleaning, after the BP loading. 

I have a Loadmaster as well. They certainly work, but a bit of a pain. 

Archived