SASS Wire Forum

Shotgun reloading

Rye Miles #13621

17 hours ago, Kid Rich said:

I think those prices are a little above what I pay now. His primer price of $40 for 500 is above what I pay, the $16  for wads is about 2-3 dollars more than I pay for wads, the shot and powder are in line with what I pay. Right now the primers that I find are about $70 per 1000 for Cheddites.

kR

PS I haven't seen Winchester LNLR in a store in a couple of years.

you could be better informed than i - ive not looked in a bit but last i saw primers they were close to $100/1000 , 

16 hours ago, The Surgeon said:

His prices are above what I pay...

I just bought components on Friday from my local reloading supply. 

Powder was 28 a bottle

primers are 53.75- 1000

wads were 10.35- 500

shot was 45.90 - 25lbs new not reclaimed.

I load 3/4 oz loads that all adds up to $5.45 a box. Id say that's worth it when its over double for shells in the store.

i agree it pays back and you get the fun of doing it - i guess i need to check prices here , its been a while since ive had to reload shot shells so im out of touch it seems , i do need wads for next go round but thats all i have everything else pre-pandemic 

Well since I have a ton of once fired AA shells, about 800 shotgun primers, maybe 3 lbs of powder (Clay's) and wads galore I guess I'll be reloading. I need some shot now, going to get some this weekend. Cabela's has 25# for $69.99 and a LGS has 25# for the same. I have 20 boxes loaded and 3 factory so I'm good for awhile...BUT........I HATE RELOADING SHOTGUN SHELLS!

3 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Well since I have a ton of once fired AA shells, about 800 shotgun primers, maybe 3 lbs of powder (Clay's) and wads galore I guess I'll be reloading. I need some shot now, going to get some this weekend. Cabela's has 25# for $69.99 and a LGS has 25# for the same. I have 20 boxes loaded and 3 factory so I'm good for awhile...BUT........I HATE RELOADING SHOTGUN SHELLS!

I'd hold onto that Clays.;)

Plenty of other powders out there for SG shells.

40 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

I'd hold onto that Clays.;)

Plenty of other powders out there for SG shells.

Hold on to it for what? I use TiteGroup for pistol and rifle.. This is Clays Universal. I’ve been using it for shotgun forever. -_-

1 minute ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Hold on to it for what? I use TiteGroup for pistol and rifle.. This is Clays Universal. I’ve been using it for shotgun forever. -_-

Thought it was just Clays (no Universal).

I'm getting down to my last 2 pounds of Clays and there is no more in sight.  I need to change over to something else.  I just bought 5 pounds of Clay Dot.  I thought it was pretty expensive but it's suppose to be a direct replacement for Clays, just made by Alliant.   It was available, it works and it's cheap.  At least I got two of the three.

11 minutes ago, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

I'm getting down to my last 2 pounds of Clays and there is no more in sight.  I need to change over to something else.  I just bought 5 pounds of Clay Dot.  I thought it was pretty expensive but it's suppose to be a direct replacement for Clays, just made by Alliant.   It was available, it works and it's cheap.  At least I got two of the three.

I just did some figuring based on prices I can go purchase today. I load a box of shotshells for about $5.15/ box. I can buy LNLR today for $11.25. My loads are less than half price of factory. It's a no brainer for me to reload. We shoot about 35-40 matches per year with at least 15 being major 3-days.

3 minutes ago, Shawnee Hills said:

Don't forget 700x.  It's burn rate is right there with Clays and Clay Dot.  It was available this past summer but not sure about now.

700X was on my list of possibilities.  It just wasn't in stock at the time.  I had to buy the Clay Dot in one pound cans.  They didn't have the larger containers.  

I inherited an 8# jug of International Clays.  Has anybody had any experience with this powder with CAS loads??

I’ve been using Solo 1000 for years and it’s down to just over half of an 8# jug. I also use Solo in my .45s and .38s and I’d like to use the rest of IT in pistol/rifle cartridges.

Anybody got any data or experience with International Clays??

10 hours ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

I inherited an 8# jug of International Clays.  Has anybody had any experience with this powder with CAS loads??

I’ve been using Solo 1000 for years and it’s down to just over half of an 8# jug. I also use Solo in my .45s and .38s and I’d like to use the rest of IT in pistol/rifle cartridges.

Anybody got any data or experience with International Clays??

Yes I’ve used it it for years. 16.5 grs with 7/8 oz of shot. It feels like LNLR AA Winchesters. I’m now using Universal Clays I think it’s about the same.

In my opinion the true advantage and benefit to rolling your own is that the loads can be taylored to your purpose and application as well as to your guns.  The right load can make a huge difference in performance and some guns can be really picky about what works well in them.  However, it sure doesn't hurt to save a few bucks in the process!  At today's prices, I don't think we save a lot in that area anymore, at least no where near what was possible just a few years back.  Good luck and good shooting to all.  

On 12/17/2023 at 2:21 PM, Anvil Al #59168 said:

Can't really buy the load we like.

For sure can't for my grandson. 

Get a pretty good deal on reclaimed shot.

Don't have to worry about IF the store is going to have

what I need when I need it. 

don't have to pay for and go through a background check if living in California.

On 12/22/2023 at 9:24 PM, Crooked River Pete, SASS 43485 said:

Dawsons in Massillon  has them listed for $105 a case

That’s great but gas would eat up the savings for me. It’s about an hour ride for me. 56 miles to be exact. 

2 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

That’s great but gas would eat up the savings for me. It’s about an hour ride for me. 56 miles to be exact. 

I'm 20 minutes from Dawson's. Let me know what you want and i'll pick it up for you and deliver to you at a shoot.

Do not know if I save anything but shooting a Cinchester 1887 if find the relatively cheap Fiocchi shells are to long to play nicely with the 87, feed great eject not so much.  This has sent me down the rabbit hole of roll crimped loading for excellent ejection.  The added bonus having 1910 ish Stevens 325 hammered long barreled double there is some question if the chambers are actually long enough to shoot modern 23/4 inch star crimped shells.  I have done it before with no issue but...  I know it absolutely will handle roll crimped shell.  No it is not a damascas twist barrel.

My press really likes AA hulls and AA wads, federal or Fiocchi not so much bad crimps and leaking shot,  Prolly would work better with different wads as neither the white or pink 11/8 oz wads make for great crimps with the latter 2 brand hulls.

8 hours ago, Sixgun Seamus said:

I'm 20 minutes from Dawson's. Let me know what you want and i'll pick it up for you and deliver to you at a shoot.

Thanks Seamus but I picked up a 25# bag of shot for $50.00 so I’m good for awhile . I’ve got 25 boxes reloaded now.  I’ll be reloading that 50# starting today. 

Archived