SASS Wire Forum

I did it!!!

Cyrus Cassidy #45437

Whelp, I'm finished.  Despite being middle-aged, my passion for history has never waned.  However, in 2013 I found myself stuck in a career I hated (law enforcement, working for an inept and corrupt administration), with a bachelor's degree in history.  So I used a benefit from the Army Reserves to get a master's degree in management.  It was the fastest to earn due to the number of transfer credits they awarded from all of my military schooling, meaning I could leave my hated job the fastest.  That, a deployment, and a military resume like one you've never seen before landed me an awesome job in the defense industry, where I still work.  Then the Army sent me to the War College, and I earned another master's degree, this one in strategic studies. 

With two master's degrees hanging on my wall, I always joked that I had never earned the one I always wanted -- history.  My employer has an education benefit, and I figured, why not? 

Yesterday I graduated from the University of Colorado, Colorado Springs with an M.A. in history, a 4.0 GPA, and was named Outstanding Graduate Student.  My professors want me to write a book, and I'm giving it some serious consideration.  Let me tell you, this was by far the most difficult degree I have earned.  The reading in that program is off the charts, and academic history is not a pleasure read like most popular history is.  And writing?  Ohmygoodness.  Keep in mind I pulled this off while working two jobs, plus umpiring, and running a consulting firm wherein I provide expert witness services to the criminal and civil courts.  So, yeah, I basically have four jobs.  With two high school boys, Mrs. Cassidy had to cover down on a lot of things.

PhD next?  It's definitely in the cards.  If you haven't guessed, I'm one of those people who would be in school perpetually if it was all paid for.  But with two high school kids I need to focus on being a dad.  Don't fret, I'll be back in school in about four years when my youngest begins his college journey.

IMG_0138.heic

Congratulations CC, "Fine Job", hope you are proud of yourself, you've certainly earned it.

NICE WORK!!

Congratulations!

There is still time for you to accomplish your dream of a PhD in history Cyrus.

A friend of my Father's retired at 65, with a BA in history, went back to school and earned a PhD in Archeology. 

He spent his ensuing years excavating First Nation sites along the Rideau River and pushed back the presumed occupation dates by over a thousand years and ID'd a group of people never thought to be in the area. 

My parents both told me never stop learning.  I don't have all the degrees you have earned but I still gathered up some fairly  impressive credentials before I folded my tent and became civilized,  I retired at 56 and never looked back. 

You done good, old son.

Bravo Zulu on your accomplishment, Sir! 

And, great example for the young men you are raising,

Archived