SASS Wire Forum

Daylight savings time

sassnetguy50

I predict a biannual protest to occur by a certain percentage of the population over this issue. 

So it is written. So it shall be. 

3 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Get rid of DST.  Stick to Standard Time.  After all, it's the STANDARD.

That says it all.  Changing it is just one more way for government to dick around with us over nothing of any importance whatsoever.

6 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

That says it all.  Changing it is just one more way for government to dick around with us over nothing of any importance whatsoever.

It's been there all my life, at least as far as I can remember. Seems normal. Didn't know the gummint was messing with me...

Wish it would go away.

On a positive note it's lighter earlier in the morning and I got an extra hour of sleep!;)

The changes are a pain in the @$$! Our year-old cocker spaniel gets up early enough. Now he's an hour earlier than!  Colorado, and most of the Mountain States would like to have permanent DST. But that would take an act of Congress! OTOH, if we voted to stay on Standard time, that would not need Congressional approval! :unsure::wacko:

Phone and computers change automatically. Got the truck radio reset today.

Still need to change microwave, stove, a couple alarm systems*, shop clock, two more cars, probably more.

My mouser cat wonders what is wrong with me.

I'm in the camp of pick one, I don't care which. I'm even willing to let Kingsford Charcoal pick which one, since this company is a prime lobbyist preventing it going away.

I recall it was originally part of a war effort, intended to reduce use precious tallow in candles. And there is debate if it even did so. What we are left with is more days to have barbecues, but charcoal is falling out of favor as folks switch to propane.

* The alarm company will be sending me texts informing me the alarms did not run self test at the appointed time.

I have often wondered how much money is lost worldwide over time changes. How much productivity is lost using the excuse of the time change. 
I am pretty sure bankers and stock gamblers have found ways to make money off of the time changes and since politicians are in their pockets they wouldn’t be too keen on putting things one way and leaving it regarding standard time or DST.

If no one is making money from then it just comes down to either stupidity or laziness. 

The problem is really with the northern states.  Standard time was originally set up as noon being the middle of the day.  So equal daylight morning or afternoon.  Daylight savings makes middle of the day 1pm so there is more light in the afternoon.   Problem becomes when there is around 9 hrs of daylight.  It might not get light until 8:30-9am with dst.  Means kids walk to school in the dark.   So even if it’s abolished, which time do you make permanent?   

btw China only observes one time zone, bejing time, so in the west, they have odd hours of daylight.  

39 minutes ago, Still hand Bill said:

btw China only observes one time zone, bejing time, so in the west, they have odd hours of daylight.  

Years ago the Soviet Union had Moscow time. Noon Moscow time it’s often dark in Vladivostok.

—— and the trains were still not on time.

On the subject of shift change. I just remembered this.

The year that I work for those people I work midnight to 8:00 both times. When we went backwards, so midnight to 8:00 was actually 9 hours, they only paid me eight, because it was midnight to eight - eight hour shift. But they said they would make sure I got the midnight shift when we switched back and that way I would get paid for eight but only have to work seven.

Except when we sprung forward, and midnight to 8 was only 7 hours, they only paid me seven because they said that's all I worked.

I quit soon afterwards.

Archived