SASS Wire Forum

Sad news

Captain Bill Burt

I hate to make this post, but I guess someone has too.

Ringer passed away last week. 

I've known him for quite a few years now.  Super nice guy, I wish I had gotten to know him better.  I'll remember him best from shooting with him at EOT.  He had a fractured bone in his arm, but shot the match anyway, and won his category!

We're diminished by his loss.

RIP Ringer. 

I received word yesterday that one of my longtime pards has crossed over.

Ringer, aka Gary Dothat passed away Saturday morning.

Plans are incomplete at this time and the family has asked for a little private time.

Holli and I heard about it this weekend when at the Delaware match.  What a shock!

We shot with him at several matches over years in Florida and, as stated above, he was a super nice guy.  He and I emailed a few times about other aspects of life as well.  Tragic loss.

Prayers up for his family and friends.  He will be missed by all who had the pleasure of knowing him.

This is indeed more sad news.  Anyone around Ringer for much time at all should have a very pleasant, special memory of him.  I know Sassy and I both have those thoughts.  Such a pleasure to be around.  

May God comfort family and the many friends.

Sad news BW.  Such a nice guy and pleasure to be around.  I have my own fond memories of him, as I suspect many do.  

Ringer wasn't just a cowboy shooter or just a VERY good shooter..... he was a Classic individual.

ALWAYS smiling and friendly, and always had a story to share and an ear to listen to other stories.

He was unique, in a very good way.   I always enjoyed his visiting the Oak Ridge Outlaw matches,

of which I figured his participation would move me backwards another position in the rankings... ;)

Ringer will be missed.

My condolences to Blackwater, as he has lost a great friend.

And to other close friends and family members, your grief is being shared by a host of folks

who knew Ringer and will miss him greatly.

RIP my friend.

..........Widder

We found out Saturday morning about Ringer at the GA State match.

When I first met Ringer he was going by "Ifn I had Shot Better" we just called him Ifn. He changed to Ringer a few years later. Ringer was an intricate part of Black Gold from Day one and Ky State when it got moved to Pondarosa Pines. He will be missed by many, we have lost a very good friend and the cowboys have lost a great cowboy.

RIP my friend.

I met Ringer back at the inaugural match at Possum Trot.  I was a few minutes late in arriving and figured I’d have to just watch and work.

“NAW!” he drawled with a big smile on his face. He had me sign an entry form and a waiver and I joined the posse!

He always helped set things up, sometimes wrote stages, offered advice, and generally made our matches better.  There were many of us who became family at Possum and he was a big part of it, always with that big smile and a good laugh!!

Great shooter and a better friend!

Capn’ BB! You and I posted threads about this at the same time!  I have no objection if the mods join the two threads, if you are amicable.

Yes indeed, a great person and friend. I am so sad. I Hope we meet again.

Very sad to hear this. Ringer was a great guy, very funny, very fast, & will be sorely missed.

Prayers for his family.

1 hour ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

I met Ringer back at the inaugural match at Possum Trot.  I was a few minutes late in arriving and figured I’d have to just watch and work.

“NAW!” he drawled with a big smile on his face. He had me sign an entry form and a waiver and I joined the posse!

He always helped set things up, sometimes wrote stages, offered advice, and generally made our matches better.  There were many of us who became family at Possum and he was a big part of it, always with that big smile and a good laugh!!

Great shooter and a better friend!

Capn’ BB! You and I posted threads about this at the same time!  I have no objection if the mods join the two threads, if you are amicable.

Fine by me!!

Had the privilege of shooting with him several times and attended many matches with him. Always a great big smile and friendly word. A huge loss to our cowboy family and he will be missed. Heck of a darn fine shooter too. Condolences to his family. RIP

Capn’ BB and I posted similar threads about the same time!

I’ve asked the moderators to combine the two, with the Captain’s permission of course…

I met Iffn at Possum Trot. He was really laid back until that buzzer went off then he was  faster than light. He created the Ringer Humdinger Stage and it was a hoot to watch!  I was not brave enough to try it.   I think there are some videos out there?

RIP Ringer. See ya down the trail. 

My condolences Blackwater for the loss of your good friend. Also, to all Ringer's family and friends.

Eyesa & Ellie 

Saw Ringer at the Ky state match about 3 weeks ago.  Always fun to talk to and a heck of a shooter.   I first met him at Possum Trot in 2007 and he made me feel like family.  He will be sorely missed.  Prayers up for his family and the whole Ponderosa Pines gang.  

I was fortunate to get to know Ringer over the last 8 or 9 years and was on the same posse with him a few times, he was always a pleasure to be around and will be sorely missed. The Good Lord gained a good one Saturday.

Shot a Ringer Humdinger at Possum Trot.  Certainly was a hoot.

I first ran into Ringer at the 2003 (maybe 4) Blue Ridge Roundup.  He rode with a feller named Klink.  "Klink-and-Ringer" was one word.  If you saw one you saw both.

Sometime after Ringer (I think) actually joined SASS and he took the "Ifn" alias.  @Blackwater 53393 help me out here.  I reckon later he officially became Ringer.

We shared a bunch of laughs.   

There won't be another.  See you down the trail Ringer.

Ain’t seen Klink, (think that’s the right alias) in forever.  Ringer’s original alias was “If’n Id’a Shotbedder”.  The Humdinger was a total blast and a product of his own imagination.  Several people contributed to its makeup and it grew over the years.

He became Territorial Governor for the Highland Regulators after Smokin’ Joe Anderson, the father and creator of Possum Trot, passed away.

Ringer may have provided one of the first internet shows featuring CAS. He wired the entire Possum Trot facility with video cameras and streamed the competition and the party from Smokeout In The Hills, the Tennessee/Kentucky Black Powder Championship!

He was instrumental at one time in making The Smokeout the largest black powder competition in SASS! I don’t recall the exact numbers, but attendance closely approached a hundred shooters more than once!

Sad news indeed!  Ringer was one of the  good  guys and will be sorely missed.  My condolences to family and friends and prayers up for Ringer/Gary.  May God bless!

His wife does not do computers so I/we plan on printing this and FB off and giving it to her when she is up to reading how we all felt about Ringer. If you have a Ringer story feel free to post it here and we will  make sure Jewels gets to see it.

I can even start to stories

I shot with Ringer for 20+ years, in all those times he never had a good match. He won countless times but always felt like he had had a problem and that "Ifn I Had Shotbetter" he would have been faster (Most of us would not have noticed that .1 second bobble) and he could tell you about every one of them since he started. Match, stage, and problem he had. He had an incredible memory unlike most of his friends.

He very seldom pronounced my name right. Couldn't get the Celtic pronunciation and said see-mus and not shay-mus. Oh well, "Call me anything, just don't call me late for dinner".:D

Condolences to family and all the friends of Ringer, myself included. He will be truly missed. I enjoyed many hours with him in between shooting by talking about bow hunting whitetails which was one of his other passions along with mine. RIP my friend. 

I wish I had known him better.

We had dinner together once at Pat's. 

He was comfortable to be around.

I will miss him.

I don’t remember if Tn Tombstone remembers this, or if he was even there when it happened.

We were shooting a weekly match at Possum Trot, (there were matches two weekends every month and we shot Saturday and Sunday both weekends, PLUS, we shot on every time that there was a fifth weekend!).  We were shooting in the big shed which had three and sometimes four stages that we shot, all under a big metal roof.

Ringer was the last shooter on the stage and all eighteen wheels came off as he struggled through the stage! He shot it fairly quickly, but had a fail-to-fire, jacked out a round on his rifle, shot a string out of order, (got a P for that) had an actual miss, and left an empty shell in his shotgun,(minor safety)!!

We wrote all of it on the wall of the stage in Sharpie for posterity!  The last time I visited, you could still read where we wrote it! 

Ringer took it all with that big ol’ grin he always had on his face and made it a point of pride that he’d persevered to finish the stage!!  A perfect example of the true sportsmanship he always exhibited!!

Archived