SASS Wire Forum

Why a 30.30 pistol or 45.70

Trigger Mike

I shot a friends S&W 500 with his downloaded rounds and it was still a handful! I also shot a Thompson Contender in .45-70, ONE SHOT was enough! Never again!! Crazy! :blink:

Please don't buy one. Not kidding. That is a very good  way to end up just like me. Arthritic at the base of my thumb joints on both hands.

I have abused my body a lot in life but I am convinced that shooting a  30-30 Thompson Center at silhouette matches using HOT loads is the main reason my thumb joints  hurt so much now.

And if you're reading this thinking "Awe, Pat Riot is  a  wimp!"  Please go ahead and disregard my first sentence and buy one so that one day you will think of me as you take your morning medicine to stop the  pain of  wrist and thumb arthritis to  start your day. ;)

I see no need for true rifle caliber pistols.  Nor for 3" magnum shotgun shells.  Same thing for the people who buy a 45 Colt revolver and immediately ask what the most powerful rounds they can load in it would be.  

If you need more power, get a bigger gun.

9 hours ago, Trigger Mike said:

Cruising the internet I stumbled on a 30.30 revolver and 45.70 revolver.  I have to ask, why ?  Same goes for the 500 and similar calibers.   Are we looking to have bad achy hands in our old age?

Because we can. I used to own a BFR in 45-70 and it was actually quite pleasant to shoot and very accurate. I had wanted a S&W 500 until I shot one, even with the muzzlebrake the recoil was still pretty heavy. I wanted to take a buffalo with the BFR but the ranch where I hunted them wouldn’t allow it.

Shot IHSMA with the ocatgon T/C in 30/30      State match ended up being a double   80 rounds    Last 20 were a struggle but got a class win     Still have one and shoot it once and a while    Got Lone Eagle in 7/08 to play with instead      GW

Big calibers in a handgun are a handful for sure. Some of the recoil can be mitigated with good grips, but still lots of recoil to deal with.

I had a Bond Arms Derringer that was .410 or .45 Colt. As small as it was and the design of the handle/grip made for pretty unbearable shooting, especially with 3" .410 shotgun loads. I sent it on to someone else who might like it better than I did! LOL

Many years ago I worked in a gun shop and we acquired a single shot "derringer"....kind like a Remington double barrel, but with a single barrel....in .45-70.

Had a customer, a huge hulking guy, who bragged about how he enjoyed recoil.  "The harder they kick the better I like 'em."

One day he was going on and I picked that pistol and a box of .45-70 rounds with about  400 grain bullet.  I handed it to him and told him to shoot it and report back.

Two hours later he came in and laid the gun and all twenty unfired 20 rounds on the counter.  The boss asked him what happened.

"I opened it up and slid a round into the chamber and was getting ready to fire it when a little voice told me that I wasn't going to get it done without some serious, possibly permanent damage to my hand.  I figured that likely was a poor choice for someone who makes a living repairing and restoring musical instruments."

No idea whatever became of that thing.

Didn’t someone make a .50 BMG handgun?  If you can dream it, someone’s tried it.

plus I agree with Subdeacon Joe; I’ve never shot a .40SW that I enjoyed.  I’d rather shoot .41AE and 10mm.

I shot my friend’s 500SW a few times. I would not buy one myself, but it was fun to try 

The IHMSA guns intrigue me. I gotta believe they can be tamed with proper grips and such. The thought of knocking over 200m rams is pretty cool. 

Any bigger than that and I’m just not interested. 

For hunting, silhouette shooting, dangerous animal protection or just as a range toy.

Having fired a Thompson Contender in 45-70, I think my upper limit on handgun calibers will be .44 Magnum.

30 minutes ago, Chantry said:

For hunting, silhouette shooting, dangerous animal protection or just as a range toy.

Having fired a Thompson Contender in 45-70, I think my upper limit on handgun calibers will be .44 Magnum.

My dad and I both agree that if the situation calls for more than a 44 mag, it’s time to reach for the 870. 

When I was a young man I would shoot anything. I wish I wouldn’t have, in some cases. 

The dumbest thing I did was fire a 12 gauge pistol gripped Mossberg one handed and didn’t have the barrel in line with my forearm. My thumb took the recoil of firing a slug. Stupid move. 

I was and still am a shooter of big bore handguns that said there are disclaimers galore.  The early Thompson Centers had horrible grips for heavy recoil may be better now but all my Thompsons are smaller caliber as a result.  The S&W 500 also has grip problems.  The reason Keith chose a modified Bisley grips is because it helps tame the recoil.  I carry a 475 Linebaugh on a modified Bisley frame its pleasant to shoot and packs the power for dangerous game.    

Back in the mid to late 1980s , when I was active in IHMSA silhouette ; I got to shoot a friend's XP100 that he had set up in 458 Win Mag. It was interesting.:lol:

It wasn't something he used in competition , he was just a guy with ample funds and an active curiosity.

There were a good many shooters that used thumper calibers and loads in those days , to take down the hard-set rams at 200 meters.

Rex:D

"Why?"

Why do you need an assault rifle?

Why do you need more than 10 (8, 5, 2 . . .) rounds in a magazine?

Why do you want to use military calibers?

Why do you need "cop killer" bullets?

Why do people need to carry concealed guns?

The unspoken part of "why" is, "you don't".  There are always superior types who know exactly what other folks "need".  They are always willing to lend their expertise to development of laws to control those who refuse to limit themselves to the "needs" approved by the enlightened.

The greatest use of a 50 BMG, 30 shot derringer is to help identify those who ask "why?" so they can be shunned.

5 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

..I still say that the most unpleasant round I've encountered is the .40 S&W. 

I tried to like the .40 back when it was the "in" thing, but despite trying it in several different handguns I just couldn't get it to grow on me. In a Glock it had a sharp, twisting recoil and my trigger finger would get badly slapped. I literally couldn't go more than a box of ammo before my finger told me that's enough. I then tried a H&K USP, and while that was better it still jumped sharply. A .45ACP was far more pleasant to shoot. Finally I went with a steel-framed Smith& Wesson, but that thing was as heavy as a tank and I decided I was wasting my time playing around with the caliber. I sold all of those guns and haven't looked back since.

Recently I did get a S&W .44 Magnum just like Dirty Harry's  though. Yeah she kicks but it ain't that bad all things considered.

7 hours ago, LawMan Mark, SASS #57095L said:

I see no need for true rifle caliber pistols.  Nor for 3" magnum shotgun shells.  Same thing for the people who buy a 45 Colt revolver and immediately ask what the most powerful rounds they can load in it would be.  

If you need more power, get a bigger gun.

The versatility is the primary reason I like the 45 Colt.  From the cowboy special up to Buffalo Bore +p+ loads which near 454.

Beyond the basic "bigger is better" Americana, hunting.  Some locations allow hunting with handguns in centerfire calibers when long guns are limited to 12 and 20ga.

40 minutes ago, Joke 'um said:

"Why?"

Why do you need an assault rifle?

Why do you need more than 10 (8, 5, 2 . . .) rounds in a magazine?

Why do you want to use military calibers?

Why do you need "cop killer" bullets?

Why do people need to carry concealed guns?

The unspoken part of "why" is, "you don't".  There are always superior types who know exactly what other folks "need".  They are always willing to lend their expertise to development of laws to control those who refuse to limit themselves to the "needs" approved by the enlightened.

The greatest use of a 50 BMG, 30 shot derringer is to help identify those who ask "why?" so they can be shunned.

And then there is just being stupid. 

1 hour ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

And then there is just being stupid. 

There is a state just west of here.  Its people are not stupid.  Their wise leaders have prepared a list of firearms that meet all the foreseeable needs of the population.  The people of that state are FREE to purchase any firearm from that approved list (after an appropriate, common sense, waiting period).  Those people can get any firearm their betters think they can possibly need.  They are happy and don't need to ask "why?"

An industrious man invested his money and produced a product he believed his fellows would appreciate and enjoy.  Some of his fellows recognized that they wanted a product just like that.  Using their own money, they purchased the product.  The industrious man did not have to justify his need to produce the product.  His customers did not have to justify their need to purchase the product.  They were free men.  Evidently, an endangered species.

21 minutes ago, Joke 'um said:

There is a state just west of here.  Its people are not stupid.  Their wise leaders have prepared a list of firearms that meet all the foreseeable needs of the population.  The people of that state are FREE to purchase any firearm from that approved list (after an appropriate, common sense, waiting period).  Those people can get any firearm their betters think they can possibly need.  They are happy and don't need to ask "why?"

An industrious man invested his money and produced a product he believed his fellows would appreciate and enjoy.  Some of his fellows recognized that they wanted a product just like that.  Using their own money, they purchased the product.  The industrious man did not have to justify his need to produce the product.  His customers did not have to justify their need to purchase the product.  They were free men.  Evidently, an endangered species.

Did I strike a nerve? 

If you want to bust your hands up shooting high powered handguns, go right ahead. It’s your life, your business. 

Shock & awe factor.

I don't enjoy these things as much as I once did. :blush:

Freedom Arms 555 .50 AE with a .500 Wyoming Express convertible cylinder

Magnum Research BFR .45-70 with a .450 Marlin convertible cylinder

Magnum Research Desert Eagle .50 AE with an extra .44 magnum barrel

Ruger Bisley Blackhawk .475 Linebaugh built by Ben Forkin

Ruger Super Redhawk .480 Ruger - Lee makes a 400 grain mold with two crimp grooves, and when seated to the lower groove, the .480 case has the same capacity as the .475 Linebaugh, but the bullet is right at the end of the cylinder. Stay within SAAMI and Ruger SRH pressure specs, and you'll be fine. 

S&W X-frame .500 magnum, 8 3/8"

S&W X-frame .500 magnum, 4"

Contender Super 14 with .35 Remington and .30 Herrett barrels, plus some smaller stuff

I really should sell some/most of these. :mellow:

14 minutes ago, Three Foot Johnson said:

Magnum Research .50 AE with an extra .44 magnum barrel

This would be a lot of fun. I shot a .357 Magnum and a .44 Magnum Desert Eagle years ago but never a .50 AE. 

On 8/11/2021 at 9:07 AM, Big Sage, SASS #49891 Life said:

Big calibers in a handgun are a handful for sure. Some of the recoil can be mitigated with good grips, but still lots of recoil to deal with.

I had a Bond Arms Derringer that was .410 or .45 Colt. As small as it was and the design of the handle/grip made for pretty unbearable shooting, especially with 3" .410 shotgun loads. I sent it on to someone else who might like it better than I did! LOL

Same here. I really wanted to like it but just could not get used to the angle on the trigger pull….I think it made matters worse, especially with a warm load.

2 hours ago, Three Foot Johnson said:

Shock & awe factor.

I don't enjoy these things as much as I once did. :blush:

Freedom Arms 555 .50 AE with a .500 Wyoming Express convertible cylinder

Magnum Research BFR .45-70 with a .450 Marlin convertible cylinder

Magnum Research Desert Eagle .50 AE with an extra .44 magnum barrel

Ruger Bisley Blackhawk .475 Linebaugh built by Ben Forkin

Ruger Super Redhawk .480 Ruger - Lee makes a 400 grain mold with two crimp grooves, and when seated to the lower groove, the .480 case has the same capacity as the .475 Linebaugh, but the bullet is right at the end of the cylinder. Stay within SAAMI and Ruger SRH pressure specs, and you'll be fine. 

S&W X-frame .500 magnum, 8 3/8"

S&W X-frame .500 magnum, 4"

Contender Super 14 with .35 Remington and .30 Herrett barrels, plus some smaller stuff

I really should sell some/most of these. :mellow:

You have some durn impressive revolvers here. :D

The 1st pistol I bought was a H&K USP V2 in 40 S&W.  The reason is it was when 40 S&W was the thing & H&K was the only mfg. that had offered a southpaw gun.  At the time I wanted a safety/decocker.  The USP's grip has very aggressive diamond pattern stippling which is very helpful in managing recoil.  I do not find the recoil unpleasant like many who have shot the gun.  The recoil impulse is very short but doesn't hammer your wrist & shoulder joints like a 44M.  The worst part of the recoil of 357M & 44M is the twisting of the wrist unless the barrel is ported.  The worst recoiling hand gun I have fired is a 9mm derringer.

On 8/11/2021 at 2:37 PM, Rex M Rugers #6621 said:

Back in the mid to late 1980s , when I was active in IHMSA silhouette ; I got to shoot a friend's XP100 that he had set up in 458 Win Mag. It was interesting.:lol:

It wasn't something he used in competition , he was just a guy with ample funds and an active curiosity.

There were a good many shooters that used thumper calibers and loads in those days , to take down the hard-set rams at 200 meters.

Rex:D

Rex, I dont know if it was the same XP-100 but I shot one in 1979 it was interesting but I dont think i would like to shoot it 40 times in a few hours.  I was already shooting an XP in 30-30 and my brother had one in 308 they both worked well on the Rams.   

Archived