SASS Wire Forum

ROA is back?

Hashknife Cowboy

I found this on another forum this morning, any one know the distributor?

"I just saw one of the big distributors listing brand new Ruger Old Army revolvers in both blue and stainless. I don't know MSRP but I saw a big online retailer listing them for $900."

Appreciate the input, i'm curious if it is the same as the discontinued models from years ago.  The price is rather steep though.  Thanks again...

Lipsey's lists them in their online catalog, but says "not necessarily in stock."

Try to order one and let us know what you find out!  :D

http://lipseys.com/itemfinder.aspx?mfg=Ruger&family=Old+Army+Series&model=Old+Army+Blackpowder&type=Revolver

They might be the best cap guns ever made .

But thats a lot to ask for a cap gun .

Just sayin 

Rooster 

I'm wondering how much like the original they are?

It's just a mortgage payment per revolver! No big deal...B)

12 hours ago, Dantankerous said:

I've never had a mortgage payment that high.

They list two models, both with fixed sights, a 5 1/2" in blue and a 7 1/2" in stainless. In the "product details" they list both as having a transfer bar safety !:angry: They are listed as Talo exclusives.

Wonder if they'll call them Ruger New Old Armies?

5 minutes ago, Buffalo Dick, SASS #12880 said:

They list two models, both with fixed sights, a 5 1/2" in blue and a 7 1/2" in stainless. In the "product details" they list both as having a transfer bar safety !:angry: They are listed as Talo exclusives.

Who is they?  Where are you finding this information?

I followed the Lipsey's link in J-Bar's post.  I checked Talo's website, couldn't find any reference, but they don't have a search function that I could see.

I got pummeled the last time I mentioned this,  but the ROA is just a mix of several original designs - Remington frame with Colt grip frame, and I forget who's loading lever.   Looks like the Italians could have made their own modern cap gun with the same features.   Also,  someone could get the Chinese to make a knockoff that would market for a $100/ea and sale a boatload. 

26 minutes ago, Buffalo Dick, SASS #12880 said:

I followed the Lipsey's link in J-Bar's post.  I checked Talo's website, couldn't find any reference, but they don't have a search function that I could see.

First time I tried the link it did not work.  Worked this time.  I seriously doubt it will or can have a transfer bar.  The gun ads are written by the advertising department not the engineers.  The early ads are frequently wrong.  This is strange.  When I was talking to the Ruger folks over the past two years it was emphacised numerous times that the most popular version is the 5 1/2" stainless.  Odd that it appears they are offering different less desirable models.  Of course no one has any yet so it is hard to tell what, if anything, will eventually hit the market.

8 minutes ago, Warden Callaway said:

I got pummeled the last time I mentioned this,  but the ROA is just a mix of several original designs - Remington frame with Colt grip frame, and I forget who's loading lever.   Looks like the Italians could have made their own modern cap gun with the same features.   Also,  someone could get the Chinese to make a knockoff that would market for a $100/ea and sale a boatload. 

pummel pummel, pummel, pummel...

the loading lever was the rogers and spencer...

11 minutes ago, Warden Callaway said:

It would be fun to see if those Chinese knockoffs could be proof tested with chambers full of Bullseye like the ROA.  :ph34r:

3 minutes ago, Boomstick Bruce said:

pummel pummel, pummel, pummel...

the loading lever was the rogers and spencer...

Take a look at a Whitney Navy or Spiller & Burr loading levers.  IMHO, Ruger should have called the ROA a "Super Whitney".

21 minutes ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

It would be fun to see if those Chinese knockoffs could be proof tested with chambers full of Bullseye like the ROA.  :ph34r:

People are going apey over the Chinese shotguns.  I recolecect someone saying the Cimarron 1878 was proofed at 40,000psi. The marketing advantage of not having to go through FFL or other restrictions (in most places) would make it less expensive and easier to distribute direct to the customer.  Just need a Coyote Cap. 

Probably acquired a bunch of older stock and selling them at an exclusive price (well, being no longer made that would make them exclusive)

GG~:FlagAm:

2 hours ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

First time I tried the link it did not work.  Worked this time.  I seriously doubt it will or can have a transfer bar.  The gun ads are written by the advertising department not the engineers.  The early ads are frequently wrong.  This is strange.  When I was talking to the Ruger folks over the past two years it was emphacised numerous times that the most popular version is the 5 1/2" stainless.  Odd that it appears they are offering different less desirable models.  Of course no one has any yet so it is hard to tell what, if anything, will eventually hit the market.

One available at Tooele Shooting Supply, LLC

Only $899

Ruger Old Army Blackpowder 45 Cal S/A Cap & Ball Revolver, 7.5″ Barrel, Stainless, TALO Exclusive – Ruger 1406

• FAMILY:
  •  MODEL:Old Army Blackpowder
  •  TYPE:Revolver
  •  ACTION:Single Action
  •  FINISH:Stainless
  •  STOCK/GRIPS:Wood
  •  WEIGHT:2 lbs. 14 oz.
  •  CALIBER/GAUGE:45 Caliber
  •  BARREL:7.5″
  •  OVERALL LENGTH:13.5″
  •  RATE-OF-TWIST:1-in-16
  •  SIGHTS:Fixed
  •  ADDL INFO:Stainless Steel for Standard #
  •  ADDL INFO:or #11 Percussion Caps
  •  GUN CASE:Plastic
  •  EXCLUSIVE:TALO EXCLUSIVE

They Also have 4 with blued finish and adjustable sights for the same price

3 hours ago, Trailrider #896 said:

Take a look at a Whitney Navy or Spiller & Burr loading levers.  IMHO, Ruger should have called the ROA a "Super Whitney".

spiller and burr, you're right... i dont know why i was thinking rogers and spencer... R&S did that ugly thing that looks like S&W rejected it... 

Spiller & Burr replicas used to be available from Dixie Gun Works...maybe still are...I haven't looked lately.  I'm not sure if the Whitney Navy was available in replica or not.  The original S&B was a Confederate knock-off of the Whitney, the main difference being the Whitney had a steel frame and there was more of a gap between the front of the cylinder and the frame.  The Whitney Navy was designed for Remington by Fordyce Beals, who also designed the Remington-Beals, New Model Remington Army, and others. I had an original Whitney Navy, and the thing would foul very quickly. OTOH, a replica Spiller & Burr worked fine for three or four cylinder-fulls.

4 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

One available at Tooele Shooting Supply, LLC

Only $899

They Also have 4 with blued finish and adjustable sights for the same price

IMHO, the 7 1/2" barrel is a big mistake. I wonder if Ruger took CAS shooters opinions into their thinking.  I see the blue ones have adjustable sights.

36 minutes ago, Yul Lose said:

IMHO, the 7 1/2" barrel is a big mistake. I wonder if Ruger took CAS shooters opinions into their thinking.  I see the blue ones have adjustable sights.

Oh?  Their pictures and descriptions show fixed sights on both a 5-½ & 7-½" model.  Just the RUBP7 model has the adjustable sights.  I'd contact your Lipsey's dealer for what an actual delivered price would be... and get to ordering, these are a limited run.

BP-5F1.jpg?maxwidth=520

19 hours ago, Buffalo Dick, SASS #12880 said:

There's another edition listed on gun broker.

"Factory new in box condition. Ruger Old Army. .45 Cal Cap/Ball black powder revolver. 7.5" barrel. Blued finish. Fixed front/rear sights. Nice wood grips with Ruger inlays.

Includes lock, documentation, and tool for operation - all in a hardshell case. TALO edition special run. Comes as shown. (Note: Add 3% for credit cards.) "

image.jpeg.0ed4b74beb4a5f0a60e97407b8297a01.jpeg

I do not think that SASS can drive the gun demand market very far now days, BUT if they still could!  I would certainly be  turning my head for a pair of SS 'New Model' Old Armys that was offered in the New Model Vaquero frame/grip size.  I really like my New Vaqueros much better than the old ones I had in the past.   

On 10/10/2017 at 5:54 PM, Dantankerous said:

What is this mortgage of which you speak? I do not have one of those, should I get one? ;)

Archived