SASS Wire Forum

Ruger revolver cleaning faux pas!

Father Kit Cool Gun Garth

Has been awhile since I cleaned my Ruger New Model Vaqueros for the first time.

After extensive cleaning with several well known cleaners,  there is still residue I am unable to remove from the cylinders. 

Does anyone have either a product that will work,  or a secret recipe they would like to share? 

Until I get the cylinders cleaned, I will have to blame all my missed shots on excess residue.

20170903_154155.thumb.jpg.6b90fbfe513965450a8eae7924395446.jpg

First, it is nothing to worry about.  As frequently as we shoot our SASS guns it is merely cosmetic and not going to hurt a thing.  Second, you can shoot a hundred rounds of BP that will clean the front off.  Third, you can try Browning Carbon Remover.  You apply it and wait a few seconds.  Went it is ready it will wipe right off with very little effort.

http://www.browning.com/products/shooting-accessories/cleaning-supplies-tools/carbon-remover-step-1.html

Larson,

Thanks for the information. 

I will pick some up and give it a try and get back to you on it. 

2 hours ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

First, it is nothing to worry about.  As frequently as we shoot our SASS guns it is merely cosmetic and not going to hurt a thing.  Second, you can shoot a hundred rounds of BP that will clean the front off.  Third, you can try Browning Carbon Remover.  You apply it and wait a few seconds.  Went it is ready it will wipe right off with very little effort.

http://www.browning.com/products/shooting-accessories/cleaning-supplies-tools/carbon-remover-step-1.html

Thanks Larson, I will try that myself. Might be quicker than what I do below. 

2 hours ago, Father Kit Cool Gun Garth said:

Does anyone have either a product that will work,  or a secret recipe they would like to share? 

Father Kit, I do get the same problem, but don't we all :D But, as Larson said it's purely cosmetic. Like you when I clean a gun I want it clean so here is what I do:

I take my cylinder(s) and liberally coat them with Break Free CLP and then set them in a little plastic Rubber Made container (or something similar) with the front side of the cylinder(s) facing down and perhaps pour a little extra CLP in there so there is about 1/4" of fluid and leave them set overnight. The next day I take them out and then clean normally with Hoppe's #9 and they look as good as new. Once the cylinder(s)  are out of the container I use the container's lid to cover and seal the container. The CLP will last a long time and I can use the same CLP over and over many times. Even though it looks completely filthy it will still work for loosening up the carbon.

PS: As requested I have moved this to the Wire. 

I always say, once a shooter owns enough revolvers he will stop worrying about trying to get the carbon rings off the face of the cylinder.

No matter what you do, they will return next time you shoot it, and it just ain't worth worrying about trying to erase them.

Or, as the folks say, shoot Black Powder. For some reason, Black Powder loads do not leave carbon rings behind on the cylinder face.

The only reason I clean off the front of the cylinder is that I'm usually doing both pistols at the same time and want to check the digits to be sure I put the correct cylinder back in it's proper pistol.

Hoppes #9 or KG-1 Carbon Remover.  But don't bother with rags.  Use a small piece of a copper Chore Boy cleaning pad.

It'll be gone in a minute or two.  Copper won't hurt the stainless.

If you really want to shine it up you could always use a little Blue Magic polishing paste on a stainless cylinder.

But seriously, you've got that as clean as it could ever need to be.  Clean everything else but you'll give up on that cylinder front face eventually.  Just focus on making sure the small ring that touches the frame is clean.  The rest of the front doesn't matter.

After six years of cleaning six cylinders each time I purchased on Sonic cleaner with simple green.  After 30 minutes they are clean.  Not sure what temperature is best, but even then minimum temperature gets them clean.  Have not had the guts to put the whole revolver in minus the grips.  Anyone clean this way?

What works best on BP also works best on smokiless. Kirk got it right, Simple Green. But you do not need the sonic cleaner, just spray a diluted solution of SG on the face of the cylinder and use an old toothbrush (not your wife's new lectric one) and the carbon will come right off. No hard scrubbing involved.

kR

I use "M-Pro 7" gun cleaner and a nylon brush, gone in minutes and biodegradable! Cylinder looks like new.

Shooting BP is the easiest way to remove carbon from the face of the cylinder.  I have also found Ballistol is a close second.

Being a GFer I keep my left and right pistols dedicated, and been using Ballistol on the left pistol while trying other products on the right pistol.

Ballistol always seems to be the easiest.

I just recently switched to coated bullets, and I do not know if it was the coated bullets or if the Ballistol had seasoned the metal.  But 90% of the carbon just wiped off the left cylinder face.

Just my unscientific observations.

Hope this helps,

Smoke

12 hours ago, Driftwood Johnson, SASS #38283 said:

I always say, once a shooter owns enough revolvers he will stop worrying about trying to get the carbon rings off the face of the cylinder.

No matter what you do, they will return next time you shoot it, and it just ain't worth worrying about trying to erase them.

Or, as the folks say, shoot Black Powder. For some reason, Black Powder loads do not leave carbon rings behind on the cylinder face.

What DJ and GJ said, don't worry about it, that's normal. Or shoot real BP and fugittaboutit;) Good Luck:)

I just use a little Flitz on a rag and the carbon rings just disappear. Been using the same tube for about five years, a little goes a long way.

First you tell me that their is a sight on the gun that I am supposed to use and now you tell me I'm supposed to clean them too.

Is this a joke or a P trap

7 hours ago, Slowhand Bob, 24229 said:

Did I miss it or do we just remove the grips and throw the rest of the gun in the tank as a full assembly?  Not feeling to good about much disassembly since changing over to NMV Rugers recently...

Careful takin those grips off Bob.

;)

kR

First thing in gun care .

Clean your gun every time you shoot it.

0000 steal wool will work with hopie#9 

Just sayin

Rooster 

Archived