SASS Wire Forum

regreted purchase and sale

Trigger Mike

i regret selling my 2 colt SAA.  they were NIB so I did not want to fire them but now i wish i had a used Colt.  I did have a used one but sold it as well.  i don't know what i was thinking.  I kept a smoke wagon in 45lc to carry for snakes etc but it is not the same as a Colt.  

I bought a pair of 2nd generation Colt Dragoons that i never could bring myself to fire so they sit in their box not doing anything.  Id like to one day sell my 2nd generation Colt blackpowder Dragoons and buy a used but not abused 3rd generation colt in either 44.40 or 45lc.  preferably 5 1/2 inch barrel.

Regrets sales:

Browning Auto-5 Light-twelve that my dad gave me, that broke and I sold for a working gun in my early 20s

M1 Carbine that I pieced together for CMP matches that shot 3" 100-yard groups

Colt Python 8" royal blue like-new

Howdy,

I bought a rossi 92, shot it a bit, sold it and regretted the sale.

So I bought another one, and sold it and regretted that.

I have one now, perhaps the fifth one. Not gonna sell it, DONE.

Best

CR

5 minutes ago, Chili Ron said:

Howdy,

I bought a rossi 92, shot it a bit, sold it and regretted the sale.

So I bought another one, and sold it and regretted that.

I have one now, perhaps the fifth one. Not gonna sell it, DONE.

Best

CR

Hahah Chili I thought you were going to say that you finally kept one and.....and regretted it :D

Every Winchester lever acton I ever sold...

GUN SALES/TRADES REGRETS:

4", 6" and 8" blue Pythons

4" nickel Python (this one I should have kept)

numerous Smith model 41's. (I never owned the model with the flash suppressor attachment but wish I had bought one)

Winchester model 290 .22 semi auto 

Ruger .44 carbine, except mine was in rifle configuration with NO barrel band AND the bolt would stay open after last shot.

..........Widder

As a "general" rule I don't sell guns, but I have. I did get rid of a few, but it was to finance my first CAS guns so I have no regrets on those. I did however, sell a bare bones GI Springfield Armory 1911 many years ago to a work friend because I needed some cash....I always regretted selling that. Especially now, because it would have been perfect for Wild Bunch. My current crop of 1911's are work carry guns so I wouldn't use them for sport.

Every gun I've ever sold except two.  A Pedersoli flintlock that I hated and still do and a Ruger Super Black Hawk with the dragoon trigger guard and a 5" barrel.  Now I find the Ruger was a rarity so I'd like to have it back as well.

Desert Eagle 44 mag. Wish I still had it.

280. Remington custom built bench rest rifle. Was fun to shoot 4 a while. Would like to get rid of it for something else.

Those are the only two I can think of. Ifen I have it, I shoot it.

My regrets guns:

1. Colt National Match .38 Spl. Wadcutter w/3 magazines. and a Colt Ace .22 conversion kit.

2. Winchester 1890 in .22 short.

3. Winchester 62A .22.

Sold them to buy blinds and curtains for a new house; dumb.

I am getting depressed thinking about it...I have sold some guns that I was happy to sell but there are a few that I really wish I wouldn't have.

• Colt Combat Government - sold it to provide for my family
  • Marlin .38 Cowboy Comp - I thought I was done with CAS
  • 2 Ruger Vaqueros - same reason as the Marlin
  • 1 of 3 AR-15s that I sold - the one I regret was a really nice shooter. Funny thing was it was my cheapest build.

Those are the main ones that I regret selling...oh yeah I sold 2 M1 Carbines for $250 each the week before Clinton banned their import and sales. I didn't regret selling them. I regret not making as much off of them as I would have 2 weeks later :D

The first three lever actions that I ever bought.  One was a M1886 Winchester in .45-90. It was beat up and had no finish, but I like shooting it (with .45-70 ammo, as there were no 2.4" brass available at the time.)  I forget what I traded it on. The second rifle I bought at the same time was a M1873 in .38-40. Never did shoot it, and traded both on a M71.  Didn't like the .348 WCF cartridge, and traded it on a Ruger Flat Top Blackhawk...which I still have. Another couple of rifles that I traded were a M71/84 Mauser bolt action in .43 Mauser, and several NY Militia Rolling Block .50-70's. one a rifle and one a carbine! Ah, well...-_-

Sounds like confession on Friday afternoon at the Catholic Church.

:-). :-)

I'm bad, I shoot my Colts......

Sold a Marlin lever gun with a octagon barrel in 41 magnum  and 44-40 ......still kicking myself

No regrets for selling.......Taurus Thunderbolt in .45, it had issues!  Winchester 94 in .45 that shot 12 inch groups at 25 yards, more issues.

I regret parting with three (3) of my S&W revolvers.   Gave my a K-22 Masterpiece to an Army buddy upon his Army retirement.  Sold a 36-1 Chiefs Special to a cop friend, and sold a 15-3 Combat Masterpiece to another Army buddy.  Sold a Colt Python but never really missed that revolver. 

Just recently I've sort of replaced those revolvers with a 19-3 Combat Magnum in six inch barrel, and bought a fine 15-4 Combat Masterpiece.

I don't part with my guns much anymore.  Got more than I need, more than I use, more than....ah...gun safe if full.  Guns seem to just reproduce while sitting in the gun safe, all alone, in the dark.  Can't figure out how that happens??

53 minutes ago, Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663 said:

I regret parting with three (3) of my S&W revolvers.   Gave my a K-22 Masterpiece to an Army buddy upon his Army retirement.  Sold a 36-1 Chiefs Special to a cop friend, and sold a 15-3 Combat Masterpiece to another Army buddy.  Sold a Colt Python but never really missed that revolver. 

Just recently I've sort of replaced those revolvers with a 19-3 Combat Magnum in six inch barrel, and bought a fine 15-4 Combat Masterpiece.

I don't part with my guns much anymore.  Got more than I need, more than I use, more than....ah...gun safe if full.  Guns seem to just reproduce while sitting in the gun safe, all alone, in the dark.  Can't figure out how that happens??

Obviously, its never 'boring' in your gun safe..... :D

..........Widder

4 hours ago, Shotgun Clay said:

Don't even know where to begin on this one. 

Clotgun is right....don't know who to blame.  Glad you got them hemigloblin's under control.  I think I'm gonna haveta blame Shotrod Forty... yep... Furlong... caused this cluster.  hehehe..

Si è maggiore di risultati...

That is hilarious... hehehehe. dang.  BWAHAHHA.... 

You know... that is the first time... I have laughted since they pronouced me "dying".  Well... I am not gonna oblige 'em.  I am gonna live, maybe.

ts

I bought an '03-A3 from the CMP when I was in college.  I shot my first deer with it while it was still in military configuration, then sporterized it with a Fajen stock and a scope.  Then swapped it off a few years later.  Kinda wish I had that one back.

Years ago I bought a Savage Model 64, .22 rifle at a Texas gun show for $70. Wish I had spent a bit more and bought a Ruger 10/22.

Somewhere around 2003-ish, my wife and daughters bought me a Remington 870 Express Magnum 12ga. Sadly I sold it in order to buy more SCUBA gear. Never even shot it. Stupid decision.

When I turned 12 my grandparents bought me a Rem 700 BDL in .243. The following year they bought me a Redfield 1.75-5 Widefield scope for the Rem. A couple years ago I sold that scope (will NEVER get rid of that rifle) and put a Pentax 4-12x40 scope on. Never should have sold that Redfield. Would have been awesome on a .22.

I sold my 1980 Plymouth Volare to my brother. Sea Green. Blue VINYL top. Slant six motor. Seated 8. Power brakes. Power steering. Air conditioning. Seats could serve as a bed. Trunk could haul enough clothes and food for a month. You could burn it out of oil, pour more in, crank it up and it'd never smoke. Ugly as sin, so no one wanted to steal it.

What was I thinking?

Age-wise, I'm a late-comer to guns.  I have bought a grand total of 15 guns, and I have never sold one.  I read a lot of articles like this one, bemoaning a decision long ago to sell a gun.  I determined early on that (1) I would never buy a gun on impulse, or one that I had not drooled over long and hard, so as to maximize my infatuation; and (2) that, having yearned for it for so long, I would never sell a gun, only to regret it later.  I've been lucky that I have never had to sell guns due to finances, nor have I had to sell a stinker; so far, so good.

There are, however, a fair number of guns that I regret NOT buying when they were available, largely due to lack of funds at the time they were on the market.  There was sweet Talo version of the Walther PPK, with intricate engraving and carved wooden grips, that I really wanted, but could not afford; it was a short production run, and I have not seen one on the used market since. 

LL

Archived