SASS Wire Forum

How Do You Deal With Shooting Early On A Stage

Bart Solo

When I have my choice I will most often start down the list, after I have had a chance to become familiar with the shooting sequence. I have really become a fan of mentally rehearsing each stage several times. I do my best shooting when I visualize running the stage successfully several times.

Sadly, when your alias is Bart Solo and the posse shoots in alphabetical order you find yourself shooting early in a stage. Many times, I am just called first or second, which means I am called second on stage one and first on stage two. When that happens I often make a mistake particularly when I feel pressure to keep the posse moving. This has been happening to me my entire shooting career. My response has been not to shoot first if at all possible, but as I said that isn't always possible.

How do you clear your mind to focus if you are asked to shoot early in a stage? Are their any tricks? Should I just volunteer to shoot first on every stage at a monthly match or two so I get used to going early? Maybe I should just change my alias to Zeke Zachariah. :)

I am not complaining, I am just trying to figure out how to deal with a common experience that creates a problem for me.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I prefer to go early. Before I have a chance to forget what it is I'm supposed to do.

Monthlies around here we make accommodations for those who would rather not go first or early when asked.

If not ready and the next to be called up let someone know and wait.

Since a am fairly new to the game, I volunteer to count or other posse duties first so that I can mentally memorize the stage watching others. If I have to shoot in the first few shooters, I am the odd ball at the loading table going through the stage with my finger guns over and over to try and clear the jitters. I am also a really good air guitarist.

Ditto Allie Mo. I prefer to shoot somewhere 2d thru 4th. Still don't like to be first.

Since I shoot FCGF with Cap Guns and need to reload em, I like to shoot early, then work the UNLT. 2 to 4 shooters and I'm reloaded then just continue

on the UNLT till the next stage.

Coffinmaker

I prefer to be the first shooter if possible. I like to man the unload table and it works out better if I shoot first. Sometimes that's not always possible and then I'd rather be one of the last shooters.

To finish answering your question as I failed to in my first post...

I have a routine after I load up, wipe forehead if sweaty, wipe hands off, push glasses up and often rehearse transitions with empty hands. When I get to the line, as I stage the guns I look at the targets at each shooting position to better know what to expect. When at the starting position I get set, take three deep breathes and then say the line or indicate ready.

I prefer to shoot early, 1st or 2nd, but I have found I shoot better when I shoot in the 2nd half of the posse. I don't know if I just get the sequences down better, or just relax a little more or what the deal is. Mental prep is key I reckon. As Yogi Berra said, ( paraphrase) this game is 75% mental, the other half is physical!

One thing I gave noticed, is I shoot better when I don't try to "clever up" the starting line.

In all my years of shooting SASS matches I've only shot a few where the posse shot in a specific order. MOST have been shoot in any order the shooters want to. Some people like to go early and some like to go near the end. It's best to shoot at many different places in the order so you don't get hung up on needing to shoot either early of late. Fortunately the time I have shot where they followed an order they also rotated the list each stage so the same person was not always going first.

Posted · Hidden by Doc Faraday, SASS #5749, September 27, 2015 - Rude
Hidden by Doc Faraday, SASS #5749, September 27, 2015 - Rude

Stoopid way to run a match...having folks shoot in order...

Did it once.

That was one time too many.

Phantom

When the T/O asks "Shooter ready?"...just say NO.

The shooting order (if not random) is never written in stone (contrary to what some scorekeepers may believe).

Posted · Hidden by Doc Faraday, SASS #5749, September 27, 2015 - Repeat of rude post
Hidden by Doc Faraday, SASS #5749, September 27, 2015 - Repeat of rude post

Did it once.

Phantom

Plus 1....that makes 2....lol ...Jim

When I started the game the places I shot mostly always went in order. Each stage they would drop down a specified number of names so that the same person wasn't always first. For those who have never experienced this sort of shooting order, it can be very foreign and annoying at best. As I said before, allowances are made if someone isn't ready for any reason.

To me, while I prefer to shoot as ready, and early in the order if I have a choice, shooting in order made me a better competitor as I had to learn to adapt to shooting in any part of the order.

That's where my routine comes into play, I can do that at any point in the order, and by all means if you are feeling rushed say so and ask to wait for a shooter, otherwise you'll not do your best.

What irks me to no end is at an away match where I may not know many folks on my posse and it's shoot when ready, showing up first at the LT and being told, not asked to move my guns because 'so and so ALWAYS goes first' Ask me nicely if I'd mind if so and so went in from of me because they prefer to and I'd be happy to accommodate, but flat being TOLD in no uncertain terms is RUDE.

I fixed a posse once that insisted on shooting in order,,, told them that as posse marshall that I would shoot when I wanted to and then the second day we started from the bottom!!!

Posted · Hidden by Doc Faraday, SASS #5749, September 27, 2015 - continuation of rude post
Hidden by Doc Faraday, SASS #5749, September 27, 2015 - continuation of rude post

Did it once.

Phantom

+1 ...seems silly, let folks shoot when they want too....where I shoot mostly there is a long line within seconds of the stage getting read anyway, so I usually just spot or watch unloading table till the lone dissipates lol

BD

Posted · Hidden by Doc Faraday, SASS #5749, September 27, 2015 - continuation of rude post
Hidden by Doc Faraday, SASS #5749, September 27, 2015 - continuation of rude post

It's not silly and it sure as heck ain't stupid, it works very well thank you very much and some of us do prefer it, and there is NOTHING wrong with that!!!

Yes it is...and yes there is. It's like a...control thing...kind of a Sheep thing...

Cheers!

Phantom

Posted · Hidden by Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217, September 27, 2015 - Personal Attack
Hidden by Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217, September 27, 2015 - Personal Attack

There only thing there is anything wrong with is YOUR rude remarks!!

I prefer to shoot first. I have my guns loaded and ready. We read the scenario and then I get my guns and immediately come to the line. No forgetting what we are doing. None of the hundred and one distractions that can happen.

When I started, Every club I shot at did the drop down one every stage. Thank God that's a thing of the past here! Now I pretty much am always the first shooter or among the first couple of shooters.

IF we do decide to go in alphabetical order, it doesn't hurt that my alias starts with the letter "B" ;)

Gosh, I didn't want to start a fight. I was just looking for some advice on how to prepare if you had to shoot early, and I have gotten it. When the TO says shooter ready, just say NO until you are sure you are ready to start shooting. .

Some places prefer that you shoot in a specific order. For whatever reason, it works well for them and has nothing to do with control except in an organizational way.

I have never actually cared, nor have I ever really thought about it, one way or the other!

I DO often wonder and, to a certain extent, worry about those with an overwhelming fixation for "Sheep"!! ^_^:o:lol:

I won't go so far as to say that a shooting order is stupid, but I will say they are unnecessary, generally unwanted, and for the most part thoroughly disliked. Nothing to be gained in doing so.

That being said, I really don't care where in the order that I shoot, but actually don't mind shooting last. Since I normally work the LT, shooting last is a natural. If not working the LT, then somewhere in the middle is fine. I don't much care for shooting first.

RBK

I am one of those who likes to shoot late in the order. If possible last. I started doing that early in my CAS experience as I was frequently a posse marshal and my OCD kicks in so I like to make sure the stage reading, question answering and the posse chores are covered, especially for the first few shooters. When prepping for WR or other big match I will make sure I go early on occasion just to be ready in case that should occur. Have not really noticed any difference in how I shoot either way.

Regards

Gateway Kid

I won't go so far as to say that a shooting order is stupid, but I will say they are unnecessary, generally unwanted, and for the most part thoroughly disliked. Nothing to be gained in doing so.

That being said, I really don't care where in the order that I shoot, but actually don't mind shooting last. Since I normally work the LT, shooting last is a natural. If not working the LT, then somewhere in the middle is fine. I don't much care for shooting first.

RBK

Like I said above, although not in so many words, some folks, and apparently many more than you think, do like shooting in order. I know that if I'm Posse Marshal it is left up to a vote with the provision that if we have a stampede at the loading table, or if we can't keep workers, we WILL shoot in order for the rest of the match. If you have a large posse, a shooting order can and usually does move the posse along more efficiently and often allows time for more socialization during the stage.

I don't care!! But let's get things rolling!! I just wanna SHOOT!!!

This easy to figure out...First tie your all guns and all other equipment on to your gun cart/wagon...Throw it on your back, run a round the parking three or four times...Then run into where you posse is at and unload...When they see how hard you had to worked at getting there on time, they will let you rest....Problem sovled...

Texas Lizard

I myself would not feel comfortable shooting in an order. I always go up to the LT when i have cleared my mind and know exactly what im going to do. So when im ready to shoot..i go up. If i was told when i was going to shoot..well i would have a problem with it. Just my two cents

-PK

Sadly, when your alias is Bart Solo and the posse shoots in alphabetical order you find yourself shooting early in a stage.

Just have them list you as "Solo, Bart". Issue solved.

I like to shoot early in the order... 1st is grand, 2nd is fine, but 1st works best. It's the only way I can have the fastest time on any given stage. It also allows me a chance to "cool" off after the adrenaline rush before I take over someone's posse chores and still not have someone feel they've worked for over half the shooters in the posse and they then have to rush to not hold up the posse.

Our club has gone both ways, currently "when ready" and it seems to be the preferred method. I personally like the middle of the order.

After almost 15 years of shooting a whole bunch of cowboy matches and being a posse Marshall from tiny monthly matches to EOT I see no reason to shoot in order. Last time I shot at a club that made us shoot in order was the last time I shot there. In my experience people that demand shooting in order are the same folks looking at their watch the entire time and rushing everyone. I have zero patience for fun suckers at matches.

BTW. I shoot first, at this point in time nobody is going to change my mind on how I plan to run a stage. When I am given stage instructions if I have to wait to shoot I will literally paw a hole in the dirt with anticipation waiting to shoot. Just the way I'm built I guess. Shooting first also allows me to spend more time working the posse usually as a TO.

I prefer to shoot first....no time to see someone elses train wreck. How to deal with it?? Don't over think a stage, there are just so many multiples of 5....Even if there are three or more shooting positions there are still only 5 in each pistol, rifle usually mimicks pistols, and two in each shotgun. If a stage has options talk to a couple of top shooters........... pick the option that works for your category and how you transition. Good Luck :)

Jefro :ph34r: Relax-Enjoy

I see both sides, as an RO sometimes it can be alittle frustrating especially with a smaller crew when you look over at the LT and 2/3s of the shooters are in line!!

Of course that is when you have to give the lecture, which I hate doing! As far as shooting first for me it comes down to the senerio being shot, if it is complicated or a number puzzle then as a gfer I like to take second to get it straight, but if it's straight forward or one I've shot many times no problems!!

I agree with Deuce about forced order, but for the most part you don't see a lot of it around here anymore as most shooters don't like it..

To answer the OPs question, well that's a tough one as everyone is different and familiarity with senerios is also part of how ready you feel when you go to the line to shoot. However some people just don't want to go first period!

Seems to me there are enough shooters out there that like being in the front of the shooting line that the need to force someone else to do it seems alittle odd to me, this is about having fun and I can't see where forcing a person to do something that's uncomfortable to them when someone else is fine doing it seems well, you fill it in!!

Spades H.

Shooting in order can make it easier on the cowpoke that writes the time and misses down.

Random order allows a cowpoke to shoot when they are ready.

Back to the OP

Run the stage thru my mind a few times after PL reads it.

Load the pistols and rifle. ReCheck that shotgun ammo belt is full.

Run the stage thru my mind a few more times.

Now I'm ready.

Shoot the stage in an entire different way then what I had mentally rehearsed.

Shooting when ready seems to be the best, until you get to a more complicated stage, then no one wants to be the first few at the LT. Then it becomes a wait each other out game. ;) When the stage is easy and it is getting later in the match, people getting tired, then the LT will fill up with standing room only. :mellow:

Shooting in order is usually suggest by folks with names that start in the middle to end of the alphabet. Hmmmm,

Interesting to see just how some folks play the LT game.

Shooting when ready takes my vote.

I like to shoot when I 'm ready. Sometimes that's 3rd sometimes that's last. It depends on what is going on. One thing's for sure, I ain't picking up my guns 'til I'm ready. If we are shooting in order then you'll have to wait, it's a lot safer than having people shoot when they feel rushed.

Archived