SASS Wire Forum

POSSE CHORES

Blastmaster

In order, which posse chores are the most desirable (easiest?) to the most undesirable?

For me, Score keeping and TO would be the most desirable & brassing is the least desirable.

How about you?

I wouldn't say TO is the easiest...it's by far the most challenging if you do it right.

I've always tried to just stay busy....lately I have tried to slow down a bit.

TO

Spotting

Load Table

Unload Table

Pick Brass

I do whatever needs done,,, get to talk more if I dont TO, like to pick brass to keep loose, and try to get the brass to the ult before the shooter gets there,,,, I used to work piece work, can you tell?

I'm happy to do any of the posse chores. if I'm spotting I try to pay extra attention, if I'm picking I try to be fast and accurate and stay out of the line of sight for the spotters. if Scoring, I try to learn shooters names as quickly as possible and be 100% accurate in my score keeping. At the LT I try to keep an eye out for the new shooters that may have questions, make sure everyone hsa shotgun shells enough to finish the stage and I like to make sure everyone knows the line as they walk up. (as well as the other LT marhsal requirements) at the ULT, I try to give a quick word of encouragement for those that had a tough stage, have a squib rod and scerwdriver handy in the event the shooter has a malfunction or other trouble and of course I want to make sure all the guns are unloaded before leaving. I am happy to do whatever chore needs to be done, and try to do it with a smile on my face (afterall, we're all there to have fun, right?)

as a shooter, I ALWAYS thank the folks at the loading and unloading table as well as the brass shagger. it's an audible "Thank you sir." or "thank you ma'am" so they KNOW I appreciate the chore they are doing and I never EVER ask spotters what shot I missed when they call a miss. they don't have to give me a full report on my performance, only count misses. If they offer it, thats great and I'm always thankfull, but I won't put them on the spot. questions I may have are directed to the TO. if I just earned myself a P, I will ask the TO any questions I have.

I have a big belly so it is hard for me to bend over to pick up brass, but other than that I like doing all of the posse chores. I have tuned back work as a TO because that job can wear you out if you do it right for too many shooters.

I don't like to pick brass because the ground has gotten too far away.

I don't like to but I will TO because I have found over the years I have a lot of difficulty separating the fun of a cowboy match with the serious attention and responsibility of a TO, therefore I find myself not giving the job the dedication it deserves.

I will run the unloading table, spot or loading table in that order of preference.

I enjoy it all.

Running the timer can be kind of nerve racking.

Just mostly I guess because I haven't done it a lot.

I like spotting 'cause I can get a good feel for the stage before I shoot.

Cypress Sun likes to go first but he's a crazy man.

Usually when I'm spotting I can handle the scoring too so I get to do 2 jobs. :)

Lots of times I get to set steel if I'm not scoring so that's my 2nd job. :)

I help picking up brass on the way back from setting steel. Just 1 or 2 pieces that I see in the sun.

If I'm on a table that's fun because you can talk to people and help lower the adrenalin on the unloading table.

Some folks don't like to talk especially on the Loading Table.

I don't like to talk when I'm "on deck" as I'm trying to get in the Zone.

I'm not much of a brass picker.

Ain't never tossed a golf club so not sure about that but it sounds like it could be fun. :lol:

I think Cowboy Action Shooting is way more fun when you get a job or two.

Waimea

:FlagAm:

Haven't done TO duties yet. As for the other responsibilities, I've done all of them and find all equal. It's something that needs to be done to keep the match moving, safe, and enjoyable. I've done double duty on some days just to give some of the folks who may be having health or other issues so that they can take a break. I don't mind working.

I'm fairly new (3rd season in CAS) so I do not feel quite qualified to be TO so I don't do that one but all the others are just work that needs to be done and I'm glad to be a helping hand.

I don't mind any of them. I don't usually pick brass 'cause I have four fusions in my lower back and don't bend well.

TO/RO

Unloading table

Spotting

Loading table

Brass picking

Keeping Score...........my penmanship SUCKS!! :lol::lol::lol:

Keeping Score...........my penmanship SUCKS!! :lol::lol::lol:

We got them new fangled ipad thingies that make penmanship a thing of the past.

No more excuses for you, Blackwater. :o:P

:lol:

Waimea

I just got my brass picker short stroked, installed a lighter spring weight, and polished all the moving parts to a mirror shine. My net has just been re-strung, and the handle re-griped with Kentucky Deer Hide and Pennsylvania Brass Tacks. My spotting stick has been repainted, and sanded down to alleviate chafing. The club furnishes first rate timers, and finally, I bought a great 3 legged cowhide stool for sitting at either the unloading table or loading table.

So, what I prefer does not constitute what I do. Just like a three legged stool - let one of the legs go missing; the stool is

severely compromised - Let one of the chores go undone, and smoothness of stage is severely compromised.

I do believe that there are a bunch of cowboys that think (and, they are wrong) brass picking is beneath them. But, I know I got my crazy ideas (that are wrong) too!!!

KCD

When RO I will also pick brass and reset targets if they have ropes for reset. If not running timer I will reset down range targets and pick brass, spotting is my least favorite but I will.

Never think of LT or ULT as these jobs should be left to the shooters that can't physically do the other jobs, at least that's how I feel about it anyhoo..

Anything to keep the flow going!

Spades H.

Least : resetting fliers and the Texas star. Don't like the loading or unloading table because I like to watch others shoot, not load or unload.

Why has "target reset" not been mentioned by anyone yet? :lol: Unless everything is on chains someone has to go out there and do it.

Yep, it is typical in my parts for the Spotters to spot + brass

or

Spot + reset + brass

or

Score + Spot

or, if lucky,

Time & brass.

With a posse of 15.

I'd rather reset & take brass back to ULT, than brass, given the two choices.

We got them new fangled ipad thingies that make penmanship a thing of the past.

No more excuses for you, Blackwater. :o:P

:lol:

Waimea

I use my cell phone to make phone calls and to read texts that tell me what to do next!! If I can talk to it, I might could operate it!! I don't even touch the PA system for the band. If I do, they chastise me liberally!!! :unsure::lol:

For me it's the ult, lt and spotting, my writing is horrible I'm not able to stand and move fast so to is out and I can't bend to pick anything up so grassing is out.

Why has "target reset" not been mentioned by anyone yet? :lol: Unless everything is on chains someone has to go out there and do it.

You must have missed post #27 pard . One of my favourite jobs .

Spades H.

Archived