SASS Wire Forum

I need good advice on 380 autos

Irish Pat

There are 37 pages on 380 autos for sale on Gunbroker. I would value everyone's opinions on the various models and what ya'll would suggest for pocket carry in Louisiana's hot weather. Irish Pat, sass 19486

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've carried a little Kel-Tek daily for several years now & when I take it to the range it never jams & never fails to go Bang

I was blessed with large paws, I found that when I shoot the Ruger LCP my thumb rests right on the mag release. Presses the mag release when shot. Good gun otherwise. My daughter carries it now. I really like my Kel Tec. fits easily into back pocket. Has never failed to go bang after several hundred rounds.

Crash.

I have the Ruger LCP & the Sig P238.

The LCP has no external hammer - no safety - a looong trigger pull.

The Sig is a SA with thumb safety - night sights- nice SA trigger, but costs about twice as much as the LCP.

I much prefer shooting the Sig, but carry the LCP because it's a cheap plastic pistol and I don't care if it gets ugly from wear.

I used to have a ruger lcp 380. I currently have a Sig 238. Both are great guns. I like the sig better because I like 1911s. However the Ruger does carry easier and lighter in the pocket. I have actually considered getting another one for that reason.
I also like the Sig because of the single action design. i feel I wood be more likly to hit a target. With the double action design of the Ruger I have wondered if I might have difficulty hitting a target in a moment of excitment. I would only feel confident in using it at up close distances.

In the Sept 2012 issue of "american Rifleman" they did some tests on hangun ammo. According to their tests, the 380 basically has the same power as the 38 special.

I have a bersa .380 and love it. It's half the cost of a Walther and I think performs the same.

+1

But in my dealings. The Bersa performed better. Got rid of the Walther's

Have had 3-4 Bersa .380's over the years. (still have one) ALL have performed great.

Lots of features for the money on this great little gun.

And all that I have had. Ran any kind of ammo I stuck in it.

Howdy,

The keltec and the lcp ruger both are small enuf and light enuf that you

can actually forget you have them along. this could be a problem if you

go into some antigun area.

The recoil is a lot, those guns were designed for .32 ammo then reworked for .380.

Shooting the .32 is a good bit more comfortable.

If you get a bit bigger gun, you will have a better grip and the second shot will

be better controlled and probably more accurate.

The bersa is way more affordable than the walther.

Its all a lot of compromise, best to try shooting some side by side if you can.

Some like to carry one in winter and a lighter one in summer.

OK if you can foot the bill.

Best

CR

I like the Colt Mustang .380acp. It was made in both a steel frame and an alloy frame (called the "pocket-lite," I believe). It was also made with an extended grip, to accomodate a larger capacity magazine. The extended grip model is slightly lareger. I have the steel frame, standard grip model and have been very satisfied with it. It looks like a miniature M1911, but the internals are different and it has no grip safety. It has never failed to feed or fire. Shoots jhp and fmj ammo without any issues. It was out of production for a while, but is or was going to be manufactured again.

Earlier, Colt made a similar weapon called the "Colt Government Model .380". It is a slightly larger weapon and the one I had (since sold it on the Wire a few years back) was also very reliable.

Good advice. Keltec is a good gun and if it fits your hand, go with it.

Ruger made some improvements, so if it fits your hand, go with it.

If you want a slightly larger gun, the Bersa is a great deal and has been around for many years. And I too have found them more reliable (and cheaper) than the Walther.

All the above for double action, which I prefer for self defense. More of a "no-brainer" gun than a Single action.

For the Sig single action guns are really great if that is what you prefer.

If you want a bigger gun, the Bersa is a good option, but you could also consider the Ruger LC9. Since it is a little bigger that works well for some and you have the more powerful cartridge.

Just picked up a Diamondback .380 today. To good a deal to turn down. Tiny. 7 shot. I can c the comment above that this will b a snappy gun to shoot. Hopefully Sunday. Came with a very cool Sneaky Pete belt clip holster. Almost like a phone case. Magnet cover. Easy out & does not look like a gun. I agree about small bullets. My usual off duty carry is a Glock .40 model 27 in a fanny pack.

Howdy:

Ruger LCP 380 - everything they have said above - SNAPPY recoil - very small and light weight. I have a Makarov 380 - almost the same as a Walther in design - a little bit bigger, a little bit heavier, but still very concealable. AND I have a Colt Pony 380 - neat gun - a bit easier to shoot because it is almost like shooting a 1911 that was shrunk after being washed in hot water. Not too bad of a recoil and not heavy. In stainless steel, it is very handsome. I use the Ruger everyday - inexpensive and quite durable. BUT, it snaps your hand quite sharply (OWWW).

STL Suomi

I have a S&W Bodyguard .380 as well. The built in laser is useless....it was pretty neat the first 5 minutes...after that I took the battery out. It has real metal sights, not plastic. The DA trigger pull is a little stiff but most 380s have that. It also has a safety if that interests you.

Regardless of which you buy it helps to shoot is fairly regularly if you plan on in being a carry gun. Since this is what I carry I bought 500 pieces of .380 brass online and bought 500 .380 95gr lead rounds from Missouri Bullets, you can find them here. I loaded all of them with Universal Clays. Whenever I go to the indoor range that I sometimes frequent I always try and shoot a few mags of my handloads to keep myself "acquainted" with the longer trigger pull. I have Hornady Critical ammo in it when I carry.

You'll get varying opinions as you already have here. If you have an indoor range any where near you (I see you are in Vidalia) that will let you rent a gun to shoot and they have a few different models then try them out and see what you like. You may also find some at a pawn shop; handle them and see what feels good in your hands. Like others have said the .380 is a bit snappy but not too bad. Good luck on your search and let us know what you finally decided on and why. It's always good to hear what folks bought and why after getting opinions from folks on the Wire.

And one more thing...I just bought a Springfield XDS...a single stack .45acp. If you are looking for a small carry gun with a little more stopping power this one is a pretty good shooter.

Kajun

This may sound like the bottom of the barrel, but this gun is an ultra-reliable, inexpensive hammer. Not very chic, not popular, but a good gun.

Baikal (Russian) made a.380acp (9x17mm, 9mm Kurz, etc.) model of the Russian military sidearm, the Makarov. Double action, steel, 7rnd magazine. Originally made in 9mmRussian (9x18mm). The ammo is not interchangeable, but the only different part between the two caliber weapons is the barrel assembly ... even the magazines are the same. It's a tank ... probably bigger than you want ... a tad clumsy ... not a pretty finish, usually, but they are very reliable. The .380acp model was made for export to the US back in the 90's. It has an (unnecessary) adjustable rear sight as a concession to US gun laws at the time for import weapons.

I've fired mine quite a bit and tossed it under the seat and forgotten it for some time, several times .... I'd trust my life with it.

And one more thing...I just bought a Springfield XDS...a single stack .45acp. If you are looking for a small carry gun with a little more stopping power this one is a pretty good shooter.

Kajun

KK, that's just the gun I'm looking for as a birthday gift to myself. What did that run you, out the door, taxes and all? You can PM me the info if you'd rather not post it here.

Take a look at the Kahr P380. One of the best guns made! All the others are nice and less expensive., I bought the Kahr for my wife . Black finish, night sites and TINY! You can put it in your shirt pocket! HOWEVER ; it is expensive ! Around $600.00 , but it is YOUR life . Check it out. My wife loves it!

Forget the .380 and go with the Kahr PM9 in 9mm. It's a stainless slide & polymer receiver. About the same size as the the .380's, but in the more effective and easier to find 9mm,

I have the LCP and carry it dailey due to its size and weight. In office attire they never now its there.

Also carry a Sig P238 I like it much more than the LCP.

As the weather gets colder I will switch the Sig 938 then the Springfield EMP.

The trigger pull SUCKS on.

Ruger LCP

Keltec .

Body Gard.

Taurus.

I Love my Colt Mustang 380 .

1911 style gun with .

A single action trigger .

Best 380 ever made IMHO.

If you have tiny hands then ok a S&W Bodyguard is fine. My wife and I bought one for her (In my opinion she had a perfectly fine Berrta M84) and it bit her hand first round fired. There is no simple answer. Buy what fits your hand and needs

Taurus........lest I forget.

Never, never, never.....under any circumstances......buy....or trust your life to.......a Taurus anything.

Never, never, never.....under any circumstances......buy....or trust your life to.......a Taurus anything.

I would say the same for Kel-tec, when I was a cop that's what the criminals would use, and most of the time jammed....maybe from holding sideways....

once again I like my Bersa .380....I like the ruger LCP too, however, it felt to small in my hands, and appeared to be the same size as the bersa, I just liked the feel of the Bersa better.

If you go with bersa, get the concealed carry one, they smoothed the edges up, and it's very nice.

I've carried a SIG P230/.380 cal as my official off-duty/backup for 15 years and have loved it. Down here in the South I've carried it on my ankle, small of the back or just in my pocket. No safety so if you want more safety in a small gun, I like the new SIG P238 which is like a mini 1911.

I would say the same for Kel-tec, when I was a cop that's what the criminals would use, and most of the time jammed....maybe from holding sideways....

once again I like my Bersa .380....I like the ruger LCP too, however, it felt to small in my hands, and appeared to be the same size as the bersa, I just liked the feel of the Bersa better.

If you go with bersa, get the concealed carry one, they smoothed the edges up, and it's very nice.

Gentlemen, I must humbly disagree.

I have three Taurus 85s, .38 revolvers. Even though we're talking semi autos here, I have to comment on them. I love and have great confidence in these guns, and I would and do trust them with not only my life, but my wife's, too. Never have any of the three failed me.

I also have a Kel Tec PF9. It's had a little smoothing of the barrel ramp, but after that, I've had no problems with it either. Maybe because I don't hold it sideways. And it's not noticably larger than a Bersa, or most any of the non micro .380s.

Gentlemen, I must humbly disagree.

I have three Taurus 85s, .38 revolvers. Even though we're talking semi autos here, I have to comment on them. I love and have great confidence in these guns, and I would and do trust them with not only my life, but my wife's, too. Never have any of the three failed me.

I also have a Kel Tec PF9. It's had a little smoothing of the barrel ramp, but after that, I've had no problems with it either. Maybe because I don't hold it sideways. And it's not noticably larger than a Bersa, or most any of the non micro .380s.

My experience with and my taking note of others' experience with Taurus revolvers and semi auto handguns, led me to make the statement about not trusting them. If your experience with them is good and they work for you and more importantly, you trust them, then my all-encompassing statement is just not !00% right. In other words ..... wrong. Do carry on

I did like the comment about the Kel-Tec jamming because the bad guys hold the sideways to fire them <_<

By the way, I believe George Zimmerman was using a Kel-Tec (is that right?). Saved his life.

Cat Brules.

My experience with and my taking note of others' experience with Taurus revolvers and semi auto handguns, led me to make the statement about not trusting them. If your experience with them is good and they work for you and more importantly, you trust them, then my all-encompassing statement is just not !00% right. In other words ..... wrong. Do carry on

By the way, I believe George Zimmerman was using a Kel-Tec (is that right?). Saved his life.

Cat Brules.

Thanks. I know that a Taurus isn't as nice as some, but I like them. If you don't, your statement IS 100% right. Never carry a gun you don't trust.

As for Zimmerman, I heard that too. I also heard that his jammed after the first shot!

Archived