SASS Wire Forum

Did you buy or build your guncart? Do you have one?

Bugsbunnyshooter

Your local club may have a "loaner" cart that you could use. If not, often you will find that folks on your posse have space on their guncarts where you can stow your long guns during the match. You can put your ammo and other "necessaries" in a range bag or other container. Sometimes people have used carts for sale, too. I would not wait until I had my own cart to show up and shoot.

The large wooden carts have some advantages-they can support a large patio umbrella to provide shade in hot weather and protection from occasional rain showers. Some of the big carts have a padded seat which is good. Because I don't have a truck, SUV or van, the large carts are not an option for me. I needed something that would fit into the trunk of my compact car. Some of the wooden carts are made to break down but I decided to go with a cart made from a jogging stroller. I bought one off Craig's List for $30 and cobbled together some long gun holders from scrap materials. I used a nylon range bag to hold my ammo and stuff until I replaced it later with a more cowboy-looking wooden box. Later I added a mount for a small beach umbrella. I'm always tinkering with it but still need to add a cow skull. :)

I've seen some good compact carts made from tool carts, dollies, golf bags, you name it.

My local Costco has this beach cart on sale for I think $50; it supposedly has a 100 pound capacity and folds up quickly. It would require a little modification to hold the long guns: http://www.wonderwheeler.com/index.cfm/page/Tommy-Bahama-Deluxe-Wonder-Wheeler/pid/10253

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bought a used wooden cart off a local cowboy. I found it through a Wanted ad in Chuckaroo's local Cowboy email.

Then one day, walking the dog, I found astroller by the curb. I added a rack to it for the long guns, but I haven't used it. operationally, yet.

We have three gun carts. We still use the first one built by Laz infrequently. The second one he built for me to use from a Red Wagon with wooden sides. Haven't used it in a couple of years.

Then we purchased a 4 gun Rugged Gear cart after attending EOT several years where somehow it seems all roads are uphill. The wooden carts were too heavy to push or pull uphill all the time.

The Rugged Gear holds 4 guns upright, is light and easy to push, sturdy, folds down very easily. It is the cart that more and more shooters are purchasing because of its light weight and sturdiness. It may seem a little expensive, but in the long run, if you can, save up and get one. At least get the 3 gun one or if you can the 4 gun one. All of our close shooting friends have at least one Rugged Gear cart. Several couples have two, a his and hers.

Laz and I only have one, the 4 gun model. Best money we have spent other than the used electric golf cart (The Silver Bullet) that Laz converted into a gun cart with the capability of towing a friend's Rugged Gear cart with the sign "Cart In Tow" hanging off its back. It holds 8 guns and 4 people not including the cart in tow.

Electric golf carts are great for the large ranges where you have to walk great distances especially from one end of the range to the other. They don't work well at the smaller ranges that don't have spaces for the golf carts though. That's when we use the Rugged Gear cart.

Built one used it for 6 years , sold it and built a new one been using it since then ...

Bout time I built a new one ,,,,, as a pard has his eye on my Current one ...

The first held 6 long guns,,,,,, the current one holds 5 ,,,,,, Muzzle up ...

Jabez Cowboy

When i get home today I'll take a picture of mine. I tried to find a jogging stroller on craigslist or garage sale. One of my co-workers said they had one he would give me. All i did was removed the baby seat and canopy and mounted a set of gun racks i bought off ebay. It has a basket in the bottom that holds my stuff like a small ice chest, bullets, etc. I'm going to add some more stuff to it, but it works fine like it is and looks just like a rugged gear. Since i didn't pay for the stroller, i only have around $25 in it.

I had the jogging stroller frame for my homemade gun cart stolen from the back of my pickup.

I've dealt with the saddlebags for the last two shoots.

Reading this thread urged me to get on craigslist.

Did so. Found a stroller within 20 minutes of my home for a price I was thrilled to pay. Less than the cost of the wheels from Harbor Freight.

It's in my possession now. First look says my old gun box will drop right in with little or no modifications.

Tried it for fit. I have to make one modification that will take about an hour.

Thanks for the mental jog.

I built mine from Rolan Kraps plans which are very good. On mine you remove the two boxes and fold it up. Works great.

I would post a picture but site will not allow.

http://s277.photobucket.com/user/wyandotjim/media/Cowboy%20shooting/1307036461.jpg.html

http://s277.photobucket.com/user/wyandotjim/media/Cowboy shooting/1307036462.jpg.html

I built my first cart, based on a WWII bomb box. Looked cool but a two person load unload. very heavy. Then picked up a used golf bag cart. Took off the golf stuff added a few ATV gunracks This made a great one person cart. 1 rifle 1 shotgun. Still use that when the wife is not with me. When she is with me we have a baby jogger with three wheels, added gunracks and removed baby seat. This is a very light and very easy pushing cart. Not a lot of money in either option.

Howdy

I built this one the first year I started shooting CAS, so it must be about ten years old now. The box in front is bigger than the original, and so is the box hanging on the back. The rest is all original though. It s made of White Ash, just slightly lighter than oak. If I build another one it will be of pine. Getting tired of lugging this baby up and down the steps to the basement.

Space for 4 long guns.This one takes down completely, so I can fit it in the back seat of my car. The upright lifts off and so do the two boxes. Ammo goes in the upper box all sorts of supplies are in the lower box, and it is the right height to sit on. One mistake a lot of folks make is to use wheels that are too small. Use the biggest wheels you can find, makes hauling it over uneven ground easier. Also, be sure to screw on some hooks so that stuff can be slung on the outside. My empties bag gets slung onto the hooks.

cart01.jpg

I have made several out of wood based on what I liked about other carts.

First: Hickory and oak, three gun, too small ammo bins, too small wheels, kept as a backup or loaner

Second: Maple with detachable steel tube handle and longgun rack, holds three longguns, better design

Next few: made with surplus wheels from Northern Tools to hold two longguns, practical size size, made for loaners that stay at local clubs for new shooters or cowboy who forgot their cart (it happens).

Future: Same as #2 but to hold four longguns so that I have a backup rifle AND scattergun at state/regional matches

Best low-cost option is a used golf bag and cart. Longguns where clubs go and lots of pockets for other stuff. I have seen these at Goodwill for $25 or less. Looks goofy and does a good jobs protecting longguns.

Howdy,

I cant believe no one has mentioned the Papadave cart.

very light and handy.

And easy to change around.

I do need a lawn chair, but that's ok.

BEst

CR

:FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm:

Built 2 of them.

And at most ranges, it's really hard to get along without one.

http://www.wildwestarms.com/gun_wagon.html

Mustang Gregg

So funny to me.....I had a really fancy one built when I started shooting CAS - it was so fancy I use the cabinet to hold rifles in my living room. But it was HUGE, and the wheels were pneumatic and thorns would make them flat - it drove me crazy. I forget what I paid for it but the craftsmanship is 100%.

After a little while I couldn't use it; the wheels and the weight were killing me. I bought a little old used one for 40 bucks and I still have it. Rubber wheels....much better! :D

***Nubbins***

I've made so many and designed so many that I've lost count. Here are links to lots of different plans.

http://www.lulu.com/shop/search.ep?keyWords=Gun+cart+plans&type=Not+Service&sitesearch=lulu.com&q=

The "Rough Rider" or "Cherokee Cowboys" carts are my favorite designs.

The CAS guys are really creative working with wood. That's a skill I wish I had.

Any idea where I can get a good price on a rugged gear cart.

The CAS guys are really creative working with wood. That's a skill I wish I had.

Any idea where I can get a good price on a rugged gear cart.

Post a WTB ad in the SASS Classifieds. Somebody may have one for sale. I've seen them parked for sale at major matches marked for half of what I paid for mine new. They are built on the same aluminum framework as golf carts and baby strollers. Those who bought those items and made minor modifications have something very similar to what I push around the shooting range. Rugged Gears' replacement parts could be used to covert a baby stroller to a shooting cart.

Well I scored big today. Found a 4 gun Rugged Gear Cart on Craigslist, used one time for $175.00. Now taking up residence in my garage. :)

You done good. Did you get the 3 gun or 4 gun version?

I have built 3 Carts.

Two where similar in design to most of the other box out front, a box on the back that allows you load up your reloading strip for the next stage.

The first I built need improvements.

So then I decide to build one with routed and pegged joints. I used no screws on it. Just groves, pegs and glue. That thing weighed a bunch.

The third one was a wagon. It weighed nearly 70 pounds. My filled it up with every thing.

Then we bought a Off The Wall Cart. It is great. http://guncarts.carolinacowboys.us/images/newcart2.jpg

Then we bought a second one for the wife.http://guncarts.carolinacowboys.us/images/PC100031.JPG

We are kicking around a Rugged Gear next

Bugs, when I got in the game some fourteen years ago, I think it was just part of the fun in the sport to built your own cart. That way you put your "great" ideas to work, complete, admire, then realize the dern thing may be pretty but weights more than you need to be lifting nor does it just fit/store anywhere. Been there, done that. Got lucky and sold mine first big one. Then came the Versatile Gun Rack cart (see Russ T Sites' pic), it was fine but just did not hold all I wanted to carry. I built another with ideas for box then attached parts of the Versatile (mostly upper part), I liked it but my carpentry was not great so got J T Wild to build another bottom very simular to mine but with much more expertise and "beauty". I still use it. But that is not all of the story of my carts, somewhere in the period of working up to what I have now (the Versatile/Wild cart), was a Rugged Gear. Joe Brisco and I were walking around the SHOT show close probably a good ten years ago and found Rugged Gear on far back area which probably means it was their first year at show. They had a shotgunners cart to the basics of what we know in the CAS cart today. Joe and I chatted with the guy and me being a little experimental at times and was writing some, I agreed to take a cart along with all different attachment items they offered and come up with a cart for CAS. Between my and Joes ideas and my tingering, notes, pictures, white-up, etc, WAMMO!, a new cart was born. Now whether the original guy I fed my info to is around the company anymore or not....or that they would even recognize my and Joe's input, does not matter, a fine cart is out there if one does not want a cart with their own "whatever" incorporated into it. What happened to my prototype you might ask.....I decided to tow it behind my Yamaha Scooter (I had rigged Scooter rack to go on back of motorhome) one year at Winter Range,I think about 2003. I headed to CAS shooting area from RV area with cart all loaded guns and all towing along with me on Scooter...you got it, crash, not a great haul, cart was never the same and I did not comission for another, although as nice as they are now, I would like one. Wonder if they remember me. ha All in alll I do still kind of like the idea i have in the cart I use now, the Versatile Wild Billy Boots Cart, and it has the personal touch with well over ten years of WR and EOT badges, etc on it. Think about it, you might your own ideas in your cart, it it is a scratch bet joe and Martha Brisco at Cowboys Shooter Suppy can fix you up with a new Rugged Gear Cart.

Mine isn't perfect as i cannot readily sit on it as I had hoped. But it has worked so well I have never replaced it.

http://marauder.homestead.com/files/GunCart.html

I just keep my box loaded up and never have to mess with it much. Just put it in the trunk with the basic cart and go.

I just went to a couple of local matches and took note of carts that I liked, improvements I would make and things I would not do. Made mine with room for five long guns (I use one for the beach umbrella) and two wooden boxes (one for the 6 shooters and ammo and one for a small ice chest for drinks and food). I added a set of saddle bags for cleaning supplies, car keys, a wallet and other modern day things. If I knew how to add a picture I would post it but I am clueless.

My son and I are new members and we have been gathering the gear needed to shoot for over a year now. My son and I have found CAS to be THE best thing we have done together as father and son.

The gun cart was just another thing we could do together. We needed something to break down and fit in the trunk of our car and big enough to fit the gear and ammo for two. Our cost for everything exceeded the top of the line purchase we could have made but the time spent was priceless. There may be a thing or two we could have done differently but we are both pretty proud of our first cart:

100_1750_zpsaf2fb34d.jpg

My son and I are new members and we have been gathering the gear needed to shoot for over a year now. My son and I have found CAS to be THE best thing we have done together as father and son.

The gun cart was just another thing we could do together. We needed something to break down and fit in the trunk of our car and big enough to fit the gear and ammo for two. Our cost for everything exceeded the top of the line purchase we could have made but the time spent was priceless. There may be a thing or two we could have done differently but we are both pretty proud of our first cart:

100_1750_zpsaf2fb34d.jpg

You did a really good job and the time building it with your son makes it even better.

Archived