SASS Wire Forum

Did you buy or build your guncart? Do you have one?

Bugsbunnyshooter

Did you buy a premade guncart or build one? I have seem some plans for really nice ones.

I noticed shipping on them was very high.

Anybody getting along without one?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I got along without one for some 23 years. Then a friend took pity on my and gave me a spare:

OWSA-2.jpg

Home made by the originator of the guncart.

I've gone thru a few looking for the right one.

My wife, the lovely Dakota Skipper, :wub: , bought me a rugged gear a couple of years ago.

I love it.

--Dawg

http://www.ruggedgear.com/

I had built my own, but then my wife bought me a much nicer one, from Evil Roy. Beautifully designed and beautifully built. When disassembled, this cart fit into the trunk of my small car.

I don't think Evil Roy makes them anymore.

Gett'n along without a cart is hard, less'n you hitch a ride on a pard's cart. I know some pards who manage, with a pair of saddlebags thrown over one shoulder and a way to attach the long guns to the saddlebags, or some other ingenious method of carrying all the stuff. But it is hard to drag around 2 long guns, all your ammo, your empty cases, cold water, a small set of tools, sun block, your possibilities, etc., etc., without a cart.

Made my first 4-5.

First ones all wood. Then made one from a old baby jogger with wood box.

Then made one from a twin baby jogger for when the wife went with me.

Them broke down and bought a rugged gear cart. All the others was given away or sold.

Now we have two rugged gear carts as the wife has her own and I have mine.

Built mine, bought a used jogging stroller that I stole the wheels off of and went from there. One of these days I plan on putting that jogging stroller back together and making a cart out of that. But for now this works well.

cart3.jpg

I know a few folks that do without, but unless it's a small range with parking right by the bays, and racks on every bay, you almost have to share space on someone's cart.

I built mine. Took me three versions to get it to where it is now. My next one might be a Rugged Gear cart. See more and more of them every match.

The rugged gear seems easy to break down for transport and easy to get around.

In all the pic and video I seen of it I noticed the long guns are carried muzel down.

I thought we had to do the opposite in cas .

This is my gun cart on a abudget, wood cost me about 35 bucks and hinges were 20 rest was imagination and elbow grease, and thanks to my daughter Diamond Blaze for the cool paint job. If the link doesnt work let me know ill repost.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151755746944176&set=vb.830424175&type=2&theater

1016836_10151755710629176_2070420983_n.jpg

I first bought a used wooden cart. Worked fine, but was heavy. I hurt my back loading it in he expedition. Bought a rugged gear 4 gun cart. To me, they are hard to beat. A little pricey, but worth it, IMO. mine is the 4 gun muzzle up model.

Before I actually started playing this game, I went to quite a few matches to check out guns, how to play, and gun carts. Pards had designs I liked, that were very functional and easy to take apart and load up.

I built mine, based on my modifications to some plans I found on the web. Very similar to what Grizzly Dave has.

DSCF2362.JPG

If you have access to basic woodworking tools, it is fairly easy to construct out of one sheet of plywood.

I built one in cyberspace using Google Sketchup. It's free and is a 3D CAD tool designed for people who are not CAD people. Basic Concept came from Capt Baylor.

http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/details?mid=94874c9df496998e29ea08508abb8825

I bought the Back Pocket Gun Cart.
It is a very well made cart and folds up compact enough for me to travel tomatches in a Ford ZX2....not a hatch back but fold down rear seats.

All I did was finish the high grade plywood with urethane and had the gun retainer bar laser engraved with some artwork with SASS Logo's, alias, and
member number that I created. Also added some leather strips where the barrels rest and some closed cell foam in the butt stock area. They
are not cheap but in my opinion the quality is well worth the price.

I understand that Ken Nickerson aka Coffin Maker, the the creator of these carts has since passed. I don't know if they are still making them but the website is still up .....

GunCart_zpsffbb3bd3.jpg

The local clubs I attend typically have storage racks at each stage so one could get by without a cart. Sometimes it is nice not to have to lug the cart around but there is the convenience factor of having all of your stuff handy.....including that cooler behind the guns. ;)

I've been using a Rugged Gear 4 gun cart. Muzzles are up and, by easily removing the three wheels, it'll fit in the back of my Jeep Wrangler 2-door, nose resting partly on the center console. After removing just the nose wheel, it'll slide under the tonneau cover of the short bed Explorer Sport Trac.

I'd like to attach a couple of woven revolver holsters somewhere. Anyone have ideas or photos?

Mark

Go to guncarts.com and look at the jack rabbit cart. Very compact yet very functional. I built my first cart and it was to big. ( it was half the size of the ones I see here on this thread). I've since switched to a jack rabbit and couldn't be happier. If you want to travel and carpool you need a compact cart. Plus they're a whole lot easier to drag around the range.

I wanna build one of these!!!

GregsGunCart003-1_zps98481400.jpg

GregsGunCart004_zps27a6fc64.jpg

Bought ours. My wife has a Off the Wall wooden card. I switched to a Rugged Gear. The two-wheeled, wooden carts push like a hand truck. Rugged Gear pushes like a golf cart. They also fold up into a small package that will fit in the truck of sedan. Take a close look at one at your next match.

Isn't made of wood, don't look the least bit period correct.

Weighs next to nothing, is very stable and easy to maneuver, collapses for transport and cost me $60. Picked up an 'experienced' three wheeled jogging stroller at a yard sale, simply added a home made rifle/shotgun rack and a removable large plastic ammo box and was good to go. Fringe benefit it came with a waterproof cover that packs in one of the multiple side pockets and covers the whole outfit in about 10 seconds.

Did the home made wood cart, kept cutting it down trying to make it lighter and more stable, tried adding bigger wider wheels, always felt wore out pushing and dragging it around after three or four stages. Jogging stroller pushes with one hand even uphill and has wheel locks if needed on slopes.

Don't use one....all I need fits in to my saddle bags and two scabbards that are lashed together....

Bugler

Built my first one... all out of red oak.. purty... 4 gun with upper and lower storage...

Sold it.. after 2nd year.. kinda' heavy but functioned real well..

Built my second one.. same wood and same design.. 5 gun... bigger lower storage...

Still using it.. still kinda heavy but..very functional..

I was asked by a fellow shooter to build one like it for him.. I quoted him $450.00

First time I ever kept track of materials and labor..

I made myself a whole $3.50 per hour.. but was happy to do it for him..

If I ever get another gun cart... Thinkin' it'll be a Rugged Gear..

Rance ;)

Thinkin' not as heavy...

Gonna miss the upper storage/loadin' box tho.. :blush:

Had mine built for me by Tatonka (R.I.P.), It's wood, holds 4 long guns, and he designed it so it's light enough to pick up with no effort with one hand, yet reinforced and strong enough that it's taken years of my abuse.

He even made a tray that would hold 10 cylinders and the box is wide enough to hold my '58 Remingtons with 8" barrels. (with slots for them to ride in). He did a heck of a job. He is missed.

McC

Midway does not carry the rugged gear cart. They switched to the do it all cart.

Walmart has the do it all for 130 with free shipping to your local store.

H e l p. where did you get yours.

I built my own, using a garden cart with steel frame and pnuematic wheels. I built the side gates and other stuff, to carry rifle and shotgun in cases laying horizontally. I hate looking down at gun muzzles, and leaving guns uncovered while carting around. I find Vertical assemblies tend to be tippy on rough terrain, so I stayed with a low CG on this one.

The sides come off, and the handle is unpinned and removed as needed for transport. A bit heavy but stable as all get out, and it pulls easily.

https://picasaweb.google.com/115786146222945467962/CASMiscGunStuff#5458950989721398482

https://picasaweb.google.com/115786146222945467962/CASMiscGunStuff#5458950997914721794

https://picasaweb.google.com/115786146222945467962/CASMiscGunStuff#5458951007988164034

Shadow Catcher

I have built 3 different carts.

First was a monstrous 6-gun that weighs about 40 lbs, has a drawer, umbrella & space for a 24-can cooler. Kinda went overboard with that one.

2nd was a copy of a jackrabbit cart, will hold 1 shotgun, 2 rifles & just enough ammo for one person. It weighs maybe 8 lbs.

The last one I built (it is the best of the 3) was based on a jogging stroller that was in my sister's garage for years. I took out the seat, modified the cargo bag on the bottom, made an ammo tray/gun barrel holder that fits between the rails at the handles. It holds 4 guns, has capacity for an umbrella & one of those old-style wood boxes. It is light, compact & rolls easier than either of the other 2 carts.

Getting by without a cart really depends on the range. 2 of the 3 ranges where I shoot regularly are that way, because the stages are all right in front of the covered pavilion area. Guns, ammo & gear can stay on the shooting benches there. Every other range, a cart is a necessity because the bays are pretty far apart.

Holler

My first was a two-wheel dolly and a plastic milkcrate-type box. Then bought a commercial product and had it for 10 years. Check out Gunther Cartwright in Indiana. Good pard and exceptional woodcrafter.

My buddy Gunn Walker and I built our cart out of a Harbor Freight welding cart that he found at a yard sale. Very lightweight, and the 20 inch tires make it easy to push over any terrain. I don't have any way of posting pictures on here, but J. Mark Flint did the same thing and posted his pictures on the Carolina Belles website. Check it out:

http://www.carolinabelles.net/vb/showthread.php?t=1564&highlight=welding

Midway does not carry the rugged gear cart. They switched to the do it all cart.

Walmart has the do it all for 130 with free shipping to your local store.

H e l p. where did you get yours.

I bought directly from the manufacturer's website. See the link Prarie Dawg posted.

I've built quite a few guncarts over the last few years. I've tried to post pictures here but cannot get them to load so if you'll go to the Wild West arts forum and click on the" roll top guncart is finished " heading you'll be able to see my latest creation. My carts aren't for everyone, but those who have them seem to like them.

Built my own, no patters or anything just looked at others and went with that. Did the dovetail work on the rear box and leather where the long guns fit into the groove. Ordered the wheels and axle but wish got air tires instead of the hard ones. Might switch someday.

http://i383.photobucket.com/albums/oo274/dradbrown/Custom%20Rifle/002_zpsc7d531dd.jpg

http://i383.photobucket.com/albums/oo274/dradbrown/Custom%20Rifle/001_zpsb103193c.jpg

Look around at your local clubs for a used one. The one I have used to be Doc Noper's - it's a few years old and runnin' strong.

Too bad the shootin' skills didn't come with it :D

cart_zpsf04ec252.jpg

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Archived