SASS Wire Forum

Your coldest CAS match?

Dungannon Gunner

What was the coldest temperature of any CAS match you have participated in and did you complete all the stages? When and where?

Dats easy..... The Cowboy Christmas Shoots at the Butterfield Trail Regulators, north of Abilene - 2005, 2006 and 2007 -

Just Ask TEXAS SLIM!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v93/jbar4ranch/LCH2_4-19-08.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v93/jbar4ranch/LCH_4-19-08.jpg

I think we gave up after 3 stages, not just due to the cold, but it got snowing so bad, we couldn't see the targets at the end of the bays!

(edit) This is the High Ore range just south of Boulder, Montana - Last Chance Handgunners - on April 19, 2008.

I 'member on weekend match at West End Outlwas... snowed... stayed on the ground all day... '89 or '90... seems like it was a February... Then there were the first 2 North Texas Roundups ('91 & '92)... Thanksgiving weekends, I remember haulin' my horses out to the match on Thurday, thru the ice and snow... wonderin' what in the world were those idiots at Texas Stadium thinkin'... goin' to a foodball game in that kinda weather... I tent camped out at the range just south of Decatur. Had an inch of snow on top of the tent come Friday mornin'! I know I was the first on there and the last to leave. I remember Texa and Cat Ballou commenting on why they moved from TX to CA in the first place... whimps! Folks from down by Houston like ta froze.

It's the summers I find hard to take!

About 3 years ago, at Table Rock Rangers' (right here in Suthryn Orygun) February shoot. 12 degrees at start of 1st stage. I wuz the first shooter. So dang cold all I could think of wuz gettin' my coat and gloves back on. Picked up the long guns (them barrels wuz COLD) and walked straight to my gun cart. TO wuz so busy trying to stay warm he didn't even direct me to UT. My 1st SDQ! Finished the match, by that time, it had warmed up to a toasty 25!

Raid on Anderson in South Carolina in 2007. It rained like cats and dogs with winds up to 40 mph. High temp for the day was around 30. Lot's of mud and standing water on the range but the wind cut right through you!

Ditto on Last Stand in Orlando. That was pretty rough also!

Nuttin worse than getting wet, being cold from the wind, and handling guns! :(

Yazoo posting under Judge...

I remember a match at the Cajon Cowboys about 6 or 7 years ago. Day started out in the low 40s/high 30s and foggy. Later turned to rain, then sleet, then hail and finally snow. Temp dropped into the high 20s by the time we had 6 stages done. I was so cold I couldn't feel my fingers on my guns so I hung it up for the day.

First match I shot last sping morristown mn highteens to low twenties

'Bout the same for me, and, yes, I finished it, but I think we only did four stages that day. No fun.

Guest Joe West, SASS#1532 L Regulator

About 3 years ago in Griffin. By the time I got there my water bottles were half frozen in my saddlebags. I was the only one there on a motorcycle. It was well below feezing that am and that two hour ride would have been unpleasant without my heated vest.

We don't get that real sub zero weather here so we can shoot and ride most times.

Joe

:FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm:

Been to some dang cold ones. :o

The 2002 MO Show Me Shoot comes to mind. Cold & wet! Don't recollect the temp, though. :o

And I have showed up at matches that were CXLD, but never one I didn't finish.

NEVER QUIT!!

Mustang Gregg

My first match in Philiposburg, Germany in Jan of 2009 with Shotgun Boogie,Rephil and Olie the Kid. I don't remember the exact temps but it was the coldest I've ever tried to shoot.

It was my first trip to tha Smoky mountain Shootout in Gatlinburg Tenn. Tha shoot was held in a pasture ,it had rained heavy there was 4-6" of mud honestly you could not see your feet as ya walked. The ta tha first day was around 33 tha next morning it was 13 and snowing an tha wind about 20 mph. The mud from tha first day was froze solid an tha ruts left by tha guncarts an footprints were enough ta shake your guncart apart. I enjoyed tha shoot but was miserable

RRR

It was my first trip to tha Smoky mountain Shootout in Gatlinburg Tenn. Tha shoot was held in a pasture ,it had rained heavy there was 4-6" of mud honestly you could not see your feet as ya walked. The ta tha first day was around 33 tha next morning it was 13 and snowing an tha wind about 20 mph. The mud from tha first day was froze solid an tha ruts left by tha guncarts an footprints were enough ta shake your guncart apart. I enjoyed tha shoot but was miserable

RRR

Howdy, This past Jan 11 started out with -7 finished all six.Lake George Colorado.

KK

A few years ago at the New Years shoot at ShortGrass Rangers.

Not sure how cold. It was just COLD, and the wind was really blowing.

If it was up to me. I would have headed home. But I rode with someone else. And after

driving for a few hours. Did not want to tell them I was ready to go. So we shot.

Had fun. But it was sure cold.

I won't go again when it is going to be that cold, with that much wind.

2010, The Last Stand in Orlando,FL. 30* snow and freezing rain!!!!!! Did I mention it was in Orlando, Flordia!!!!!

Yep...Did I mention my thumbs don't work when it's that cold. Too cold and wet to care!!!!!!

Wyatt

It was the first Christmas shoot at Possum Trot. Started out in the teens and wound up in white-out conditions. The line for every stage was "Dang, (or some derivative) it's cold!"

The last stage was all buffalo targets and they were painted silver! It was snowing so hard by that time that you literally could not see the rifle targets. :lol:

Back then all the stages at Possum were shot from under huge sheds. The chow hall was warm and the food Smokin' Joe cooked up was fabulous. We had a gift exchange and party and than drove home in near blizzard conditions. The snow was gone about a day and a half later. :rolleyes:

Them was the days!! :wub::lol:

I was at the same match as Kiowa Kid. There were 12 of us that started and I think 2 quit. We did 6 stages @ -7. Yes you read that right -7. It was new years day. The Dec match this month Dec 3 was 12 and there were 13 of us and we all finished the 6 stages. It was in Lake George, CO Colorado Cowboys.

Yes we love our Cowboy shooting in Colorado! :)

Painted Filly

2010, The Last Stand in Orlando,FL. 30* snow and freezing rain!!!!!! Did I mention it was in Orlando, Flordia!!!!!

Ditto!!

Actually 30 degrees was the high. Started out much colder. But, the wind, rain, sleet and snow just made it worse. The problem was I did not plan for cold weather at all, and my gear was a little lacking. Did stay and shoot all stages.

I have shot in more miserable weather but not a two day state match main stages.

Roo

A couple of years back, the Ozark Posse shot their first shoot of the year in 24 degrees. We went to the Arkansas Leadslingers the next weekend and shot in 26 degrees.

Nobody ever said cowboys were smart!

Back in January or February of 2000, I believe, at Warsaw, IN. The bank clock in Warsaw said 12 degrees. There was about 6 inches of snow on the ground, so it was definitely a lost brass match. Shot all 5 stages, as we drove about 3 hours to get there. Cabin fever was rampant that year!

Howdy Pard,

It is a tie. I don't know the temps at either.

One was at Friant (near Fresno) CA in December in the fog. It was wet, cold, and you had trouble seeing some targets. We finished and haven't been back in Dec. since.

The other was at Chabot Park (near Oakland, on the coast) CA in the summer. It snowed! The problem was, we were not dressed for snow. We'd talked some friends into going there for the first time. One guy didn't even have a coat. Luckily, :unsure: Hubby had a ratty, dirty flannel shirt in the car to loan him. It was a Mulligan Day; reshoot the stage of your choice. My last stage was my worst and I hadn't used my "do over." I opted to go sit in the car with the heater on and thaw my feet instead. My feet were so cold I was having trouble walking.

Regards,

Allie Mo

Another +1 for TLS in 2010. I knew the forecast and was prepared for it although. The coldest I've ever been at a match was in 2001 or 02 in Lakeland Fl. Match was in February and a cold front blew in. It was about 70 or so degrees upon arrival, then it rained soaking everyone to the bone, then the temp fell 30 degrees in about 2 hours with a 20 - 25 mph north wind. I was never so glad to leave a match......ever. I did finish both matches.

Hey, I'm from Florida.......we get cold easy.

CS

Here on the Big Island of Hawaii, our CAS matches are held at a gravel and cinder pit at 4,200 feet and it can really get chilly there in the winter. It's been in the mid 50s a few times, but we keep right on shooting.

Haole

Guest Tennessee Stud, SASS# 43634 Life

Not sure if anybody here remembers the cold-weather tragedy that occured a few years ago...

There was a SASS Pard who was practicin' his frontiersman shootin' whilst travelin' down in Florida... one unusually cold day...

Whilst fixin' to aim... he cocked his open-top... and his cold fingers accidentally let the the revolver go, allowin' it to spin downward. The trigger rolled over his index finger... and discharged into his abdomen. That is what he described as to what happened... right before he died.

Just be careful shootin' in cold weather....

ts

Amen ta that Tom !!!

Most miserable I've ever been at a match !!

My hands felt like they were set-up in concrete, every time I pulled off my gloves ta shoot.

When I shot my 87, my hand would stick to the dang barrel.

My mustache was frozen all day!!

This is Florida Dang it, this stuff ain't spooose ta happen !!!!!!!

And worst of all, my throat hurt so much, every time I tried ta talk, my eyes would water-up and freeze.

Dang IT.....A guy couldn't even complain about it...what fun is that!!!!!!!!!!

BH :wacko:

Archived