SASS Wire Forum

Your coldest CAS match?

Dungannon Gunner

I was at the same match as Kiowa Kid. There were 12 of us that started and I think 2 quit. We did 6 stages @ -7. Yes you read that right -7. It was new years day. The Dec match this month Dec 3 was 12 and there were 13 of us and we all finished the 6 stages. It was in Lake George, CO Colorado Cowboys.

Yes we love our Cowboy shooting in Colorado! :)

Painted Filly

Yeppers, we love our shooting here in Colorado

2 years ago our Jan match started at -2. Would of thought we were smart enough to know better!! :) Ended at -7 with a slight breeze. 6 stages, 7 shooters, with each shooter coming to the line in their duster/coat, designated coat holder/spotter/brasser taking the coat off, shooter takes on the stage and when done coat holder recovers the shooter. Crazy fun!! when done with all six stages head to the clubhouse (warm stove) and discuss our uncertain mental state :lol::lol::lol:

Regards

:FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

Happy New Year to all!!

Yes Gateway we call that shoot our Idiot Posse. We did the same thing coats gloves on. Get to line they come off shoot very fast put them back on go to unloading table. :)

I was an ice cube but was soooo much fun!

Painted Filly

Hey, I'm from Florida.......we get cold easy.

CS

I can relate to that, being a Central Florida boy all my life and moving to the Great White North of Northern Alabama. We had a shoot in January of 2010 with a high of 19 degrees and a wind of 20mph. I never felt like I shot so fast in my life! I was racing to get to the unloading table and get back in my jacket!

Another I can remember was at Winter Range. I think it was in 2008. It had not rained in AZ for 145 days. Well on day 146 all hell broke loose!! Snow, rain and cold!! Water up to ya ankles, freezing cold wet weather. They had to cancel the last day of shooting!!!

BTW does basic training in the Army count?? It was a cold January in 1971 in Fort Campbell, KY. I was a green recruit...

My very first match, 2 years ago, it was 26 degrees. That's darn cold for me, but I was so nervous/excited/eager that I was determined to shoot no matter what...

Frostbite Falls #1, January 2, 2005.

Four shooters started the day at -12°. Shot 6 stages and finished up at 2° above.

Frostbite Falls #7 is on January 1,2012. There's still room for a couple more shooters. Won't be cold though, upper 30s/lower 40s

Bummer.

January 2010, River Bend Rough Riders. The high for the day was 15, and in north Georgia no less.

Mean Matt, I forgot about that shoot! I took my first header that day at the fort. Just had shot my rifle in the left window, turned to move across to the other side of the fort. I had on so many layers of clothing I could barely walk; double shirts, leggings, jeans, chaps and vest. My feet went out from under me and I went down face first. As the ground got closer (with BIG gravel) I threw out my left elbow to soften the blow. Yes, it hurt pretty bad...should have had a stitch or two on the elbow, but OUTLAWS are TOUGH! B)

Had to stop a match once for a snow squall here in Jersey but went back after it was over. That was about 10 yrs ago. Shot a local match here 3 wks ago with temps in upper 30's to low 40's. Last couple of stages were fine but the early ones were hard as it was hard to hold on to cold guns. Had to shoot two handed so as not to drop pistols. Going to Yuma next month to shot. That's my idea of winter CAS.

I remember we had a shoot where the thermometer froze and we couldn't tell how cold it was. The timer beeps froze in mid air and we had to thaw em out with a torch before we could hear the sound. We missed a couple of beeps and they hung in the air till they thawed out in the spring in the middle of another match. Confused everybody!

My truck tires froze to the ground. Had to wave a picture of Miss Rocky at em to get them heated up enough to move. Coffee froze as it came out of the spout so we at it like popsicles.

One of the bays was full of penguins slidin down the berm on their bellies. Had to make shark noises to scare em off.

All in all, a pretty good day.

Coldest match :lol:

Feb 2011 Northern Rangers Winter range & Indoor in Sundsvall Sweden

Shot 3 stages in 5 feet of snow and the temp was -32C -26F

The flowing 5 stages was indoor at comfort temp of +20C 68F

http://foto.swsf.se/#1.13

Grave Spit

sass # 75601

Now THAT is cool - especially the targets in the snow bank like that...

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Guest diablo slim shootist

I have shot some cold miserable matches- even in the snow....

But i am looking forward to this weekend match-"sunny and 66degrees" :wub:

What was the coldest temperature of any CAS match you have participated in and did you complete all the stages? When and where?

West Walker Gun Club, Walker Michigan. 2005 or 06 not sure. I set up on Fri. just prior to a snow fall. Snowed most of the night but at 8 am Sat. Clear skies and no way to cancel, Saturday temp 12 below with a 10 mile hr wind.

12 showed up and shot 5 stages.

Must have been 5 to 6 in of snow on the ground, bright sunshine and so cold we couldn't get much heat out of a fire 3 Gun built.

Don't remember all that was there Deuce, Three Gun, J R Hammer.

Those were the days when matchs never got canc.

West Walker Gun Club, Walker Michigan. 2005 or 06 not sure. I set up on Fri. just prior to a snow fall. Snowed most of the night but at 8 am Sat. Clear skies and no way to cancel, Saturday temp 12 below with a 10 mile hr wind.

Must have been 5 to 6 in of snow on the ground, bright sunshine and so cold we couldn't get much heat out of a fire 3 Gun built.

Hey Two Rig a Tony - do you know if West Walker Gun Club will hold CAS again?

Sorry for any hi-jack :D

GG ~ :FlagAm:

That was one of the most memorable matches I have ever been too!

The windchill made it feel so cold, the fire didn't even seem to help!!

It is the only match I have ever been too that I didn't wear my cowboy hat (I took it off and put on a knit hat because my ears where freezing)!!

I have shot some cold miserable matches- even in the snow....

But i am looking forward to this weekend match-"sunny and 66degrees" :wub:

66 at 4PM...what's it gonna' be at 9AM ????

I have promoted this idea for years and no one listens;

Summer start at daylight before it gets too hot!

Winter start around noon or 1 pm, give the Sun time to warm up a little!!

Guest talon macleod 29883
:lol: I have to agree with Red River Ray. I got to Pigeon forge,Tenn early and no joke my boots froze and the soles broke in half.I will never forget coming home and my sixteen Y.O. daughter was going to P.B.R. in Atlanta with a Jr. rodeo star who no less drove a 66 Mustang just like I had in School.Unknown to my wife and I was that the NBA all star game was at the venue next door. I was so cold and miserable from the match that I did`nt even get mad when a monster traffic jam kept her from getting home until four in the morning. The boy was so scared that no one saw him again.She had showed him pictures of us shooting before the date . I still have frozen mud in my Gun Cart. :lol: Talon Macleod

It was my first trip to tha Smoky mountain Shootout in Gatlinburg Tenn. Tha shoot was held in a pasture ,it had rained heavy there was 4-6" of mud honestly you could not see your feet as ya walked. The ta tha first day was around 33 tha next morning it was 13 and snowing an tha wind about 20 mph. The mud from tha first day was froze solid an tha ruts left by tha guncarts an footprints were enough ta shake your guncart apart. I enjoyed tha shoot but was miserable

RRR

Ray I have to second your choice on the Smoky Mountain Shootout!!! That first afternoon the rain turned to sleet and snow as the temperture droped from 37 to 28 degrees with a 30 mph wind. My fingers felt like they would have fallen off if I had hit em any thing. The next morning 12 or 13 degrees and the river of mud was transformed into frozen granite. Ray my cavaties were rattlin the next morning trying to roll my guncart over those frozen ruts. It was an experience in Survival, memorable but defintely not wanting to repeat it.

Archived