SASS Wire Forum

Anyone else think John Wick movies are pure fantastical bull stuff?

I watched John Wick 1 and was mildly amused at how some scrawny guy could take a serious pounding and keep right on going without so much as an ibuprofen tablet to help ease pain. 
Then I started John Wick 2. I got about half way in and shut it off. 
I just can’t watch the impossible, improbable, fantastical bull s***!

It reminded me of that scene in a movie years ago where Antonio Banderas kills all these guys flipping his guns around, shooting under his legs, flipping through the air and hitting every bad guy with an instant kill shot. 
Yeah, I shut that movie off at that point as well. 

My wife was kind of teasing me. She said “You can watch Star Trek, The Expanse, all these Sci-Fi movies and shows and that doesn’t irk you but John Wick killing 30 bad guys with a pistol and you get agitated?”

I said “Yes”

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Of course it’s fantasy!!  

• Like 4

I don't care for any movie that uses extensive CGI in place of acting or actors and ridiculous/impossible stunts and action scenes. 

The movies these days seem to be overly heavy on this type of "action and acting", which I don't consider either action or acting.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

In 2015 I tripped over an ottoman in our living room and broke my left kneecap.  When we watch all those fantastic stunts, jumping off buildings, kickboxing,  leaping from high speed cars, and then getting up and outrunning a fleeing car, I comment "No one has broken a kneecap!"  My wife usually laughs.

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

Just now, J-BAR #18287 said:

In 2015 I tripped over an ottoman in our living room and broke my left kneecap.  When we watch all those fantastic stunts, jumping off buildings, kickboxing,  leaping from high speed cars, and then getting up and outrunning a fleeing car, I comment "No one has broken a kneecap!"  My wife usually laughs.

That's what you get for trying to do your own stunts!

• Haha 5

Yea it’s crazy and unbelievable but so are most action movies today. At least Keanu Reeves is pro gun and a pretty Choi’s shooter in his own right! 
https://guncarrier.com/keanu-reeves-shoots-3-gun-and-his-stance-on-gun-control/

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

5 minutes ago, Rip Snorter said:

Another recent article can't recall where had, his house burglarized and one or more firearms taken, so I believe he may own firearms.

Oh yes he’s a gun owner for sure!

21 minutes ago, Rip Snorter said:

Another recent article can't recall where had, his house burglarized and one or more firearms taken, so I believe he may own firearms.

Big time (and good) IPSC shooter.

• Like 3

There are videos of him and other celebrities training with Taran Butler on IPSC/USPSA type setups. Pistols, rifles, shotguns. They use modern shotgun loading techniques and gear including in his movies. I don't know that he's actually shot any USPSA away from that range. I enjoy the movies. Over the top fun. They do at least show lots of reloading. 

• Like 3

You didn't like Star Wars, didya Pat?

:P

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Buckshot Bear said:

For me they're just a couple of hours of escape entertainment. 

I couldn't have said it better.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Dantankerous said:

You didn't like Star Wars, didya Pat?

:P

I did. Because it was it was a long time ago in a galaxy far far away. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

I just do not like the John Wick movies. Period. I don’t care about the politics of it or if so and so is a nice guy. It’s just BS. My opinion. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Pat Riot said:

I just do not like the John Wick movies. Period. I don’t care about the politics of it or if so and so is a nice guy. It’s just BS. My opinion. 

They ae a departure from the typical hollyweird shoot em up in that all the firearms used in his movies don't hold an infinite number of rounds.  If you count the shots you'll find all the firearms run out of ammo just like they would in real life.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Pat Riot said:

I watched John Wick 1 and was mildly amused at how some scrawny guy could take a serious pounding and keep right on going without so much as an ibuprofen tablet to help ease pain. 
Then I started John Wick 2. I got about half way in and shut it off. 
I just can’t watch the impossible, improbable, fantastical bull s***!

It reminded me of that scene in a movie years ago where Antonio Banderas kills all these guys flipping his guns around, shooting under his legs, flipping through the air and hitting every bad guy with an instant kill shot. 
Yeah, I shut that movie off at that point as well. 

My wife was kind of teasing me. She said “You can watch Star Trek, The Expanse, all these Sci-Fi movies and shows and that doesn’t irk you but John Wick killing 30 bad guys with a pistol and you get agitated?”

I said “Yes”

Agree. Won’t watch another.

• Like 1

Thanks Dave, but I don’t care. 

Maybe I  going through a phase. 
An I don’t give a $#!¥ phase. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Pat Riot said:

Didja like the Die Hard movies and just about anything else Bruce Willis did? He took a crap beating from beginning to end, but was still able to bust through a skyscraper window in his bare feet, hanging from a fire hose… :rolleyes:

45 minutes ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

Didja like the Die Hard movies and just about anything else Bruce Willis did? He took a crap beating from beginning to end, but was still able to bust through a skyscraper window in his bare feet, hanging from a fire hose… :rolleyes:

Didja like the John Wayne movies he carried a model 1892 when the movie was set in 1870’s?

The Wick movies are outrageously ridiculous in my view. Like I said before. That’s my opinion. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Pat Riot said:

Didja like the John Wayne movies he carried a model 1892 when the movie was set in 1870’s?

The Wick movies are outrageously ridiculous in my view. Like I said before. That’s my opinion. 

Almost as ridiculous as the Lone Ranger shooting a gun out of someone's hand from 50 yds away on horseback or some of the westerns that get 10-15 rounds out of a six-shooter.:P:lol: How about Wanted Dead or Alive with that little rifle and .45-70 cartridges on his belt that won't fit in the gun. How about the knock out drag down fights that would kill an average guy but they take 20 punches and get up with a little blood on their lip and their hat is still on!:lol:

I'm just messin' with ya Pat!;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Much of what we watch in the movies and on TV is exaggerated.  Look at NCIS or NCIS: Los Angeles, gunfights on that scale & frequency would be national news, maybe even international news.  The same with John Wick and most of the police procedurals, people aren't going to spend 43 minutes watching police and lawyers doing paperwork or running down leads that turn out to be nothing.

• Like 2

Never heard of John Wicke, but I agree with most things said here on both sides of the discussion.  My favorites are lady cops who might weigh in at 140 pounds wearing heels and skin tight clothes taking out a couple of 225+ pound bad guys.  (Like f'rinstance in Castle.)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

The "James Tiberius Kirk School of Acting."

Few action movies are realistic.  "The Last Samurai," when what's his name gets hit with about two dozen rounds of what I assume is .45-70 lives, doesn't lose any limbs, and shortly after is able to talk with the Emperor.  Westerns where horses pulling the wagon gallop for 5 miles - and the passengers aren't beat half to death by the ride and the driver has no problem staying on.  Oh, and the stagecoach/wagon is able to stay ahead of the pursuers mounted on fresh horses.  Shooting from the hip and hitting the revolver in the hand of the bad guy at 100 yards on the first shot. 

And, of course, the eight attackers all patiently wait their turn to attack one or maybe two at a time.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Never heard of John Wicke, but I agree with most things said here on both sides of the discussion.  My favorites are lady cops who might weigh in at 140 pounds wearing heels and skin tight clothes taking out a couple of 225+ pound bad guys.  (Like f'rinstance in Castle.)

Hell, I like how the male cops are grizzled veterans and the lady cops are babes. (Like f’rinstance everywhere.)

• Haha 1

Of course, John Wick is fantasy.
All those killings in NJ and NY and no cops anywhere.

At least Wick makes a show of changing magazines.
Last night we watched #5 of Resident Evil, where they pump thousands of rounds through fully automatic weapons without reloading.

I'd druther watch this mindless entertainment than suffer through the drivel of CSPAN or that crowd.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Pat Riot said:

Just funnin’ with ya Pat. I don’t care for those movies either.

Another action movie series I think is ridiculous is “The Expendables”.  

• Haha 1