SASS Wire Forum

FORTY ROD NEEDS YOUR PRAYERS!!

29 minutes ago, Lone Spur Jake SASS #7728 said:

Blackwater, it's me again.  Sorry, I just can't remember Tom's last name, so trying to call hospitals looking for him isn't working.

Jake!

His last name is Taylor!

I’m not sure which hospital. I left him a message when I got home this afternoon. (Separate story)  He hasn’t returned my call yet!

He was dealing with the VA, but he’s been in and out of the ER somewhere.

One of the doctors’ name is pronounced like the tiger in Jungle Book, Sher Kahn I think.

I will post the hospital info when I talk to him, hopefully tonight.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Okay , everybody!!

I just got off the phone with Forty! He sounded pretty good and he was in good spirits!

He’s in the NorCal District VA hospital in Prescott.

He told me that they have made some excellent progress and that he already is feeling much better.  He figures to be in the hospital for at least another week!

That’s all I have for now!! 

Keep it up!!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 8

Blackwater, thanks for the update on Forty, he didn't show up for Thursday morning breakfast at Zekes yesterday, as he usually does. Forty called Longshot Larry while we were all having breakfast to let us know he was in the emergency room, but that's all the information we received. Prayers are up from all of his pards who shoot with the Whiskey Row Gunslingers and the Granite Mountain Outlaws and enjoy breakfast with him at Zeke's Eatin' Place in Prescott. I know ol' Forty Rod will be up and around as soon as he is well, as he's an ornery old cuss and you can't keep a good cowboy down.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 1

Prayers heading back up for another round. Get well Forty.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just saw this. Our prayers for full recovery for 4T.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Damn.  Can't understand why I hadn't seen this thread 'til just now.  :(

Well... I've been prayin' for Forty for lots o' years; just ramped 'em up a notch!  But he's a tough 'un ~ he'll be back on the circuit before ya know it! 

And for those of you who have never sat at table and shared a meal with Tom, if ya have the opportunity, do it!  You'll walk away with a grin that'll just keep comin' back!  :D

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

And for those of you who have never sat at table and shared a meal with Tom, if ya have the opportunity, do it!  You'll walk away with a grin that'll just keep comin' back!  :D

A few years ago, Schoolmarm and I took what for her was a bucket list trip!  She had just finished up breast cancer treatment and decided it was time to go see some of the WEST!

Along our itinerary were stops to visit a few of the people that we had become acquainted with on the Wire!  We ended up staying with Forty and his little dog, Trinket, for a few days!!

As a result, Schoolmarm is enamored with that ol’ cuss and we talk on the phone with him, sometimes four or five times a week!!  We both consider him among our closest friends!!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

23 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

A few years ago, Schoolmarm and I took what for her was a bucket list trip!  She had just finished up breast cancer treatment and decided it was time to go see some of the WEST!

Along our itinerary were stops to visit a few of the people that we had become acquainted with on the Wire!  We ended up staying with Forty and his little dog, Trinket, for a few days!!

As a result, Schoolmarm is enamored with that ol’ cuss and we talk on the phone with him, sometimes four or five times a week!!  We both consider him among our closest friends!!

You know of which I speak~!!  :lol:

Something like eighteen years ago, on a trip to SoCal, Sassparilla Kid and I had the opportunity to have dinner with Tom and Shawna.  First contact - and DAMN, but my jaws ached by evening's end from the grinning and laughing.  Some people truly deserve the title "Salt Of the Earth" - it fit them!  And Tom is what Louis L'Amour would've described as "one to ride the river with."  

Someone recently referred to Forty as "Gunny."  I always think of 'im as "Cap'n Gunny."  (I'm sure you know the story.  My God... I busted out in guffaws and snickers just remembering it!)  ^_^

Please pass the Kid's and my best on to the ol' cowpoke....  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Our Prayer continue up for Forty today. Hope you're getting well Pard.

Eyesa & Ellie 

Edited by Eyesa Horg
Otto really wants Pard to be plural
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Here’s the latest from 4T!!

They seem to have found some answers.  The infection is viral, as opposed to bacterial and is in his bloodstream.  From what I gathered in our conversation tonight, they’re treating him with appropriate IV medication.  The outlook is now more positive.

He says that they might have him out of the hospital by this coming weekend.  He also told me that his local network of friends is caring for his little dog, that he’s receiving excellent care and attention, and that folks he’s spoken to are giving him some new places to dine and reminding him of some that he’d forgotten!

This last item indicates to me that he is on the road to recovery because when he’s thinking of places to eat, he intends to go and try them out!!

He said that I should warn all of you that he ain’t that easy to get rid of!! :ph34r: :lol:

• Like 5
  • Thanks 8

By golly now Blackwater, thank you for that most recent word!

Still standing up on my knees!

• Thanks 1

That's great news Blackwater!

Prayers back up this morning for Forty's continued healing. Let's get him back into those restaurants!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

The old fart called me a minute ago!!  He says that they’re going to do two more rounds of IV medication, one this afternoon and another later tonight.  After that, it’ll be a couple of days of testing and observation and if all goes well, they’ll kick him out before the weekend!!

I TOLD him that y’all had figured it wasn’t going to be that easy to get rid of him!  He said to tell everyone many thanks for the prayers and support!!

I thank you all too!

Edited by Blackwater 53393
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 5

Thanks for the news. Still praying here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

The old fart called me a minute ago!!  He says that they’re going to do two more rounds of IV medication, one this afternoon and another later tonight.  After that, it’ll be a couple of days of testing and observation and if all goes well, they’ll kick him out before the weekend!!

I TOLD him that y’all had figured it wasn’t going to be that easy to get rid of him!  He said to tell everyone many thanks for the prayers and support!!

I thank you all too!

Good news!  Thanks for the update. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Prayers going back up this morning for more healing and getting Forty home .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Get well quick ya stinker!:D

• Haha 2

That odd braying sound in the distance is me, laughing, at the reference to ye Auld Phart ... many thanks for that good word, and I'm still standing on my Prayer Bones on behalf of Forty in particular and a  host of others as well!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Good to hear he's on the mend. 

Dad had open heart surgery years ago.  They sent him home within a few days. About a week later, the incision broke open.  Blood and puss rolled out. Took him back to hospital and they cut infected tissue out and left the incision open for a long time. Six months in isolation with staff infection. 

Friend and co-worker for 25 years had infection in his spine last fall. They operated but gave him 1% chance of survival.  But he did. On machines and ventilator and such for months. Other infections they tried to treat with antibiotics.  His insurance quit paying.  I guess the hospital was going to put him out on the sidewalk.  His wife was about to explode under the pressure.  Finally another hospital agreed to take him but they were not making progress.  Several times sending him back to big regional hospital.  After another couple of months there, he made no progress.  They actually had a meeting with him asking if he wanted to be taken off support and die or struggle on. He wanted to keep on. (He couldn't talk but they read his lips.) Finally a rehab hospital in Springfield took him. Seemed to work with him more. They finally got him breathing on his own. He started eating and could actually talk. It's probably been 6 months getting to this point. I've got no information on his physical condition.  I assume he's still bed ridden. 

• Sad 4

Prayers going up for ole Forty Rod; From North of the Medicine Line ...

Wishing that ole Goat a speedy and complete recovery ...

Jabez Cowboy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1