Why didn't anyone warn us?

OUCH!!

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

OUCH!!

I'll just wait here now for the saloon brawl to commence.....:lol:

Edited by Dirty Dan Dawkins
  • Haha 9

The EV-phobes will put some kind of positive spin on it like “You really shouldn’t be driving in that weather anyway, it’s not good for the planet.”

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, Yul Lose said:

The EV-phobes will put some kind of positive spin on it like “You really shouldn’t be driving in that weather anyway, it’s not good for the planet.”

Or….The technology just isn’t there yet,  but when it arrives, we’ll have the last laugh!

• Thanks 2

Well, they should have ponied up for a charger at home.

https://www.consumerreports.org/hybrids-evs/how-to-charge-electric-car-at-home/

Edited by Rye Miles #13621

22 minutes ago, Yul Lose said:

The EV-phobes

An EV phobe will be someone that is afraid of EVs. Or, accepting today's understanding of the term, it would be someone that hates EVs. Phobe, from phobia - an irrational fear.

I believe you wanted EV-phile - that would be someone that loves and appreciates EVs.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

9 minutes ago, Alpo said:

An EV phobe will be someone that is afraid of EVs. Or, accepting today's understanding of the term, it would be someone that hates EVs. Phobe, from phobia - an irrational fear.

I believe you wanted EV-phile - that would be someone that loves and appreciates EVs.

One of those ph words.:lol:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

I get a kick out of them sitting and sitting and watching a gauge at the charger waiting to be able to get the rest of the way home! See it every time I go grocery shopping! I fuel up my ICE and drive it for a week or two. Takes about 3 minutes to refuel. Off I go!! Neighbor called looking for a ride the other day, power was out for 16 hours, ooops,  no fuel for EV to leave the yard! Said, I should have plugged it in when I got home, but forgot. Hey AAA, can you bring me out cans of electricity?:lol:

• Haha 4

I was very fortunate to find a new 2023 Tacoma 4x4 after calling around to NorCal, Reno, Boise, Salt Lake, LA and finally Fresno.
The 2024 Tacomas are an entirely new product line.. new engines, chassis, body, turbos and EV batteries (a deal breaker).

The 2023 is the last of the line for the current 3.5l engine and transmission.
Meaning they are as evolved as they will ever get, and free of early/1st year production defects.

And.. it both starts and runs in cold weather.
Imagine that.

Edited by bgavin
typos
  • Like 3

26 minutes ago, bgavin said:

I was very fortunate to find a new 2023 Tacoma 4x4 after calling around to NorCal, Reno, Boise, Salt Lake, LA and finally Fresno.
The 2024 Tacomas are an entirely new product line.. new engines, chassis, body, turbos and EV batteries (a deal breaker).

The 2023 is the last of the line for the current 3.5l engine and transmission.
Meaning they are as evolved as they will ever get, and free of early/1st year production defects.

And.. it both starts and runs in cold weather.
Imagine that.

My son bought one a few months ago in Nashville. Great truck.

......And The charging stations are powered by ........you guessed it 

DIESEL !!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Last year there were folks in WV and PA that only got half the distance out of their EVs on a full charge. 

I am pretty sure the magic number for EVs, Diesels, salt melting snow is 17° F.

At 17° and below many things do not work correctly. 
Below 17° the batteries won’t take a charge I am guessing.

17° to 32° the batteries won’t run to their full potential. 

Edited by Pat Riot
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Yul Lose said:

One of those ph words.:lol:

I'm reckon more that a few of those Chicago area Tesla owns are using a PH word. Ph*ck this piece of crap car.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

24 minutes ago, Capt. R. Hugh Kidnme said:

I'm reckon more that a few of those Chicago area Tesla owns are using a PH word. Ph*ck this piece of crap car.

Probably most of them.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Even that wont work if the infrastructure can't support it.

https://www.cbsnews.com/chicago/video/more-than-170000-comed-customers-lose-power-in-winter-storm/ 

Edited by PowderRiverCowboy
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

That would be nice if the power grid could handle it. We are asked to keep our heater settings low because of the drain on the power grid. What do you think will happen when everyone has a charging station in their garage.

https://communityimpact.com/austin/south-central-austin/weather/2024/01/15/texans-asked-to-conserve-energy-as-freeze-continues-jan-16/?fbclid=IwAR1SjPyFpCPtmC42QWF-t-u1T96RoaNnfl4mrhlSR8uM-k-OYXPb5p4r2Hg

TM

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

@Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 how many Teslas and other EVs do you see in Canada on cold days?

Here in WV I see a few but I have a feeling they are University folks, students, instructors. Most don’t have WV plates, but I do see EVs from PA and NY. 
I live in a university town here. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PowderRiverCowboy said:

Even that wont work if the infrastructure can't support it.

https://www.cbsnews.com/chicago/video/more-than-170000-comed-customers-lose-power-in-winter-storm/ 

Sure but when the power is on which is 99% of the time a home charge does the trick. I know a couple people that have EVs and they charge them at home, one guy has a plug in hybrid, which is really dumb but that’s another story!

Edited by Rye Miles #13621
  • Like 1

After seeing a TikTok video showing how to recharge an EV using the iPhone battery, think it's now about time to buy that new EV! 

Mine is working just fine in 70 degree Florida.  Of course we are going to see a freeze tonight down to 30…..Hope we survive.  

If I lived back in the Midwest, no way I would have it there.

also even new….i don’t think I have got close to the advertised miles per charge yet.  I would say maybe 3/4 of what it says….not sure if it’s like city and highway where more stop and go driving drains the battery faster which is what I do.  

Biggest like so far is no key…my phone is my key.  No unlock getting in or locking it getting out.  Gas cars can do this though too.   Acceleration is still crazy,  going 30 but want to be going 60?  Just a pedal touch away and throw you back into the seat.

• Like 1

Car batteries have been going dead in cold weather since they started putting them in cars. These individuals in cold areas are too dense to have anything more than a skateboard if they didn't prepare.

• Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Pat Riot said:

@Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 how many Teslas and other EVs do you see in Canada on cold days?

Here in WV I see a few but I have a feeling they are University folks, students, instructors. Most don’t have WV plates, but I do see EVs from PA and NY. 
I live in a university town here. 

I don't see as many, in my neighborhood, as I see in the summer, nor do I notice as many on the roads.

A few in my subdivision have their EVs parked in the laneway, with a cable running to them, while the second vehicle, (ICE) is the go to for work, shopping kids to school etc.

There are a couple of die hards using their EVs and parking them indoors, with heat in their garages.

Their neighbour tells me she is nervous about that, after learning about the spontaneous combustion phenomenon reported.

But Hey! even our multi Billion dollar Light Rail Transit system (Electric) is having cold weather problems.

Edited by Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474
  • Like 1

very simple - it doesnt fit their agenda to change us to a third world country from within , we were told but we didnt listen [believe] or at least most of us dont but hust look at what they have already done to us and prevented us from doing for ourselves [and others - we always share the wealth] im not going to pretend we were the only inovators but look at history we share ours and we let them steal it and we fund them ta-boot , what in the hell wilkl the rest of the world dowhen they succeed in wiping us out ? Relly - what will become of them ? 

• Like 1