SASS Wire Forum

Krogers is buying Safeway!

Forty  Rod SASS 3935

Buy where groceries are sold.
Other than price, I'm not picky.

We shop at WinCo here, on price.
Safeway and Raleys are the high priced spread around here.
Same groceries, but 25 to 50% more expensive.

Just now, Sawhorse Kid said:

I pretty sure that Krogers already owns Albertsons/Safeway stores.

Not yet, kroger announced its intentions to purchase Albertsons but is still trying to get regulatory approval. They are trying to close the deal first part of 2024  but are running into significant pushback.  Kroger has had to agree to sell off locations and jump through more hoops trying to get approval. 

In many market segments,  if Krogers buys Albertsons/ Safeway it will create , in effect, a marketplace monopolized by Krogers. They will have to take steps  to satisfy the  federal regulations against such conditions. 

Just sayin' ,

Choctaw

6 minutes ago, Choctaw Jack said:

In many market segments,  if Krogers buys Albertsons/ Safeway it will create , in effect, a marketplace monopolized by Krogers. They will have to take steps  to satisfy the  federal regulations against such conditions. 

Just sayin' ,

Choctaw

That's basically what happened when Publix bought Albertsons in Florida. Publix just took over the Albertsons locations, did a little remodel and slapped the Publix name on them. Now is seems like there is a Publix every couple of blocks or so. Publix even remodeled an Albertsons that was directly across the street from an older Publix, now there's a Publix directly across the street from another Publix.

There is still a few Winn Dixie's around but their stores are grossly outdated, somewhat nasty and can't hold out much longer. 

Super Walmarts, regular Walmarts and WalMart Marketplaces are numerous but outnumbered by at least 2 to 1 (mol) by Publix stores. Publix prices are generally 15 to 25% higher than WalMart's prices.

Walmart isn't going anywhere but it's either go to Publix or Walmart around here.

Here we have Giant Eagle, Marc’s, Dave’s, ALDIs, Heinens, Whole Foods and a couple small independents.

2 minutes ago, Warden Callaway said:

We had a Krogers and a Safeway years ago. Plus IGA. But they pulled out.  Today we have two local chain of stores. And Wally-World and a half dozen dollar stores. 

Forgot about IGA, Walmart and a bunch of Dollar general and Dollar Tree stores.

Let's play Monopoly!!!!   In many markets of the USA there will no competition if this merger goes thru.  Where I live in the Prescott, AZ quad cities area we have have Fry's (Kroger owned) and Safeway (Albertsons owned), so there is competition.  BUT, if this merger goes thru, there will be NO competition, just price fixing by the BIG GUY.  Yes, we have Walmart stores, who can compete, but it you, a customer, has to drive 20 miles to get there, what will you save at the price of fuel today?    

4 hours ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

I'm probably going to regret asking, but what's wrong with Krogers?

It would be nice if somebody answered the Sergeant's question.

5 hours ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

I'm probably going to regret asking, but what's wrong with Krogers?

Maybe only in the local store, but the place is not well maintained, crowded, overrun with vendors and staff stocking shelves, lots of products not available (but I notice that the "exotics" are always full, probably because there is very little turn over ), displays blocking aisles, understaffed with untrained people, uncaring people, a wreck of a parking lot, doesn't have a meat counter open before 9:00 am, and because it is one of two groceries (not counting Costco, Trader Joe's, and Sprouts) in the area.

Of course there is Walmart which saves no money in spite of their claiming to be less expensive than the others, and has maybe three people in the whole store who know what they are doing.  They are pushing self check out and generally only one or two registers open and people lined up at the self check out stations not knowing how they work. 

And in spite of a very large population of retired, elderly, single people that live around here, these stores do not carry much of anything smaller than "family size" packages.  A lot of food gets wasted because single meal sizes of food products are not very common.

1 hour ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Maybe only in the local store, but the place is not well maintained, crowded, overrun with vendors and staff stocking shelves, lots of products not available (but I notice that the "exotics" are always full, probably because there is very little turn over ), displays blocking aisles, understaffed with untrained people, uncaring people, a wreck of a parking lot, doesn't have a meat counter open before 9:00 am, and because it is one of two groceries (not counting Costco, Trader Joe's, and Sprouts) in the area.

Of course there is Walmart which saves no money in spite of their claiming to be less expensive than the others, and has maybe three people in the whole store who know what they are doing.  They are pushing self check out and generally only one or two registers open and people lined up at the self check out stations not knowing how they work. 

And in spite of a very large population of retired, elderly, single people that live around here, these stores do not carry much of anything smaller than "family size" packages.  A lot of food gets wasted because single meal sizes of food products are not very common.

I'd have to say that it's just your store. My local Frys, (owned by Kroger), is pretty good. Well stocked, most of the people know their stuff. The building is older, in good repair, and the parking lot is better than a lot of them around here. Of course there are sometimes people stocking shelves, but the shelves won't stock themselves. Prices are decent and the Pharmacy is where we get our prescriptions. I've taken to using their digital coupons, which does save a bit, but my favorite is the 4 Times fuel points on Friday. 

Walmart does have slighter lower prices on most merchandise, and most of it as far as Name Brands is the same as Frys, at a little less than Frys. Their Store Brand is as good as Frys Kroger brands, but I can usually afford the Name Brand anyway. And a lot of times, Frys has the Name Brand on sale, again with the digital coupons.

As far as self checkout, I refuse to use it. And with one exception, Walmart employees have always been more than happy to run it for me if there aren't any cashiers. As an aside, most of them agree with me on the self checkout. THEY realize that it's taking away their jobs, and aren't happy about it. 

It sounds like maybe the local job market is just lacking. Even if Albertsons takes over your store, it will probably have the same employees, or at least pulling employees from the same pool.   

Kroger also owns Ralphs, which was 2 blocks from our place in San Diego.
Vons was farther away, and too far to walk.

I run the breakfast crew at my lodge, so I keep a huge spread sheet on grocery expenses broken down by price per unit.

The sheet includes Winco, Safeway, Walmart, Costco, Smart & Final and Sams Club.

I shop monthly for our lodge breakfast groceries specifically to keep costs down.
We charge only $5 for anything the customer wants on our menu, so cost control is imperative.

We go through 180 eggs, 15 to 20 pounds of bacon, and 5 to 10 pounds of sausage, plus biscuits 'n gravy, coffee, french toast, waffles, etc, etc.
The meats are by far the highest expense.

Costco is the winner for meats, coffee, napkins, paper plates, and so forth.
Winco for the rest

Smart & Final for bulk items, such as 1,000 ct cases of foam coffee cups, which are FAR cheaper than plastic.

We don’t have a Kroger and once in a while plan a special trip just for Kroger.  They have items you can’t get in a small town.  They also have a much better organic selection for times we want that .  They are 45 minutes away.  Publix just opened an hour away in the opposite direction so we may go once in a while there.  

14 hours ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

I'd have to say that it's just your store. My local Frys, (owned by Kroger), is pretty good. Well stocked, most of the people know their stuff. The building is older, in good repair, and the parking lot is better than a lot of them around here. Of course there are sometimes people stocking shelves, but the shelves won't stock themselves. Prices are decent and the Pharmacy is where we get our prescriptions. I've taken to using their digital coupons, which does save a bit, but my favorite is the 4 Times fuel points on Friday. 

Walmart does have slighter lower prices on most merchandise, and most of it as far as Name Brands is the same as Frys, at a little less than Frys. Their Store Brand is as good as Frys Kroger brands, but I can usually afford the Name Brand anyway. And a lot of times, Frys has the Name Brand on sale, again with the digital coupons.

As far as self checkout, I refuse to use it. And with one exception, Walmart employees have always been more than happy to run it for me if there aren't any cashiers. As an aside, most of them agree with me on the self checkout. THEY realize that it's taking away their jobs, and aren't happy about it. 

It sounds like maybe the local job market is just lacking. Even if Albertsons takes over your store, it will probably have the same employees, or at least pulling employees from the same pool.   

The next closest Fry's is 16 miles away.....not convenient.  I've gotten into my local Fry's manager's face so many times in the last nine years that he hides when he sees me coming.

People tell me I just don't understand the business.. RIGHT!!  I only worked in the groceries for 10 years, two locally owned stores and three Albertsons (Helped open all three and was assistant manager of one).  It bothers me that so many things are wrong, but  it is the lack of caring from most of the staff that bugs me most.

Safeway is a bit more expensive and is a smaller store but they seem to have better policies in place to train their people,  get products that are truly wanted by the majority, and find and keep staff who are knowledgable, hard working, caring, and friendly.

F'rinstance, I ordered a dozen half pound top sirloins for a gift yesterday to be picked up this morning.  I told the butcher that I was giving them to the EMP folks that have helped me so much in the last year.  I was to pick them up at 10:00 am and got there a bit early as they were packaging them up.  They were all nearly identical, beautifully cut, and prepared, and packaged.  The butcher handed them to me with a smile and a Merry Christmas...and handed me one more steak without charge.  I never met him before yesterday.

It was a a minor thing but I appreciated it and I got a whole mess of friendly greetings as a walked through the store. 

Check the national chains and who owns what. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_supermarket_chains_in_the_United_States

Safeway was standalone then Albertson’s bought them and upgraded their fried chicken recipe, thank gawd.

Now Kroger wants to buy them from Albertson’s. 

Kroger does have some excellent store brand ice cream. 

20 hours ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

And the chances of me driving down to Tucson is non-existent.

here its co;burns , they have had control for decades but others have ventured in and succeeded in surviving , we have a new aldys here and there are hyvees close to here , 

i really miss the days of the local neighborhood grocer.butcher , used to go with my grandmother when i wa a kid - later in life i bought my best steaks there , now they are all gone - appreciate the big box choices , but i miss the mom and pop atmosphere , im particularly not fond of the self checkout 

8 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

The next closest Fry's is 16 miles away.....not convenient.  I've gotten into my local Fry's manager's face so many times in the last nine years that he hides when he sees me coming.

People tell me I just don't understand the business.. RIGHT!!  I only worked in the groceries for 10 years, two locally owned stores and three Albertsons (Helped open all three and was assistant manager of one).  It bothers me that so many things are wrong, but  it is the lack of caring from most of the staff that bugs me most.

Safeway is a bit more expensive and is a smaller store but they seem to have better policies in place to train their people,  get products that are truly wanted by the majority, and find and keep staff who are knowledgable, hard working, caring, and friendly.

F'rinstance, I ordered a dozen half pound top sirloins for a gift yesterday to be picked up this morning.  I told the butcher that I was giving them to the EMP folks that have helped me so much in the last year.  I was to pick them up at 10:00 am and got there a bit early as they were packaging them up.  They were all nearly identical, beautifully cut, and prepared, and packaged.  The butcher handed them to me with a smile and a Merry Christmas...and handed me one more steak without charge.  I never met him before yesterday.

It was a a minor thing but I appreciated it and I got a whole mess of friendly greetings as a walked through the store. 

Forty, I'm certainly not going to be the one to try to get you to change. I wouldn't dream of telling you that you don't know what you're talking about. 

I can only relate my experiences with the local stores in Tucson. I'm just saying that Kroger taking over isn't necessarily a Bad Thing.   

3 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

And the chances of me driving down to Tucson is non-existent.

I wouldn't expect you to. I'm not likely to get to Prescott any time soon, either, but if I do, I'd be honored to say "Howdy".

I think Kroger taking over IS a Bad Thing.  It is so easy for such a merger to become a place that controls prices and carries only their own product line, forces smaller businesses out of business, and cares less and less about the customers.  I'd just really like one that isn't over run by vendors and their carts in every aisle all day, has massive displays blocking aisles, has carts picking out groceries to pickup at the curb that also block the aisle, isn't run by vendors who take up all the shelf space throughout the store, opens up he meat counter and deli before 9:00 am and doesn't have their own people stocking shelves all day long.  It would be nice to have enough to keep the shelves stocked.  I went to Fry's yesterday for butter foe pie recipe.  At 5:00 pm two days before Christmas they were out of regular butter.  I didn't want flavored butters, salt free butter, or whipped butter.

There were bare shelves all over the store, like they were caught surprised that there would be crowds....two days before Christmas.  That's just lousy management.

And BTW, they had fifteen minute wating line for the self check out (with one machine out of order) and four of sixteen checkout stands closed with no one to run them.

Here in the PRK, Safeway is literally right around the corner and Raley's is across the street.

Walmart is the same in the other direction.
Two Winco are within a 10 minute drive.
Whole Foods and Trader Joes for the Birkenstock crowd is also 10 minutes away.

Costco and Sams Club are 15 minutes away.

Food prices here in the PRK is literally half what I saw in Alexandria VA last September.
Their gas was much lower though.

On 12/21/2023 at 7:45 PM, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Maybe only in the local store, but the place is not well maintained, crowded, overrun with vendors and staff stocking shelves, lots of products not available (but I notice that the "exotics" are always full, probably because there is very little turn over ),

There are 4 Safeway stores in Santa Rosa.  That describes the one closest to me.  Two other I've rarely encountered that.  The 4th is a pain in the behind to get to so I haven't been into it.

Wow!  I guess we're spoiled for choices in my area.   Right around me, I can choose from Food Lion, Walmart, Kroger, Costco, Wegmans, Harris Teeter, IGA, Lowes Foods, Sam's Club, Lidl, Aldis, Trader Joe's, Target Food, Whole Foods, Fresh Market, and various ethnic markets.

3 hours ago, McCandless said:

Wow!  I guess we're spoiled for choices in my area.   Right around me, I can choose from Food Lion, Walmart, Kroger, Costco, Wegmans, Harris Teeter, IGA, Lowes Foods, Sam's Club, Lidl, Aldis, Trader Joe's, Target Food, Whole Foods, Fresh Market, and various ethnic markets.

No Dollar General? I'm in Tennessee, we also have Ingles. I was confused by Ingles at first, actually pronounced like the family in Little House on the Prairie but google maps thought it was the Spanish word for English. Why would a Mexican market name itself another language? Saw the first time I went in that it is not even a Mexican market!

Back when I was in the PRK there was a local market called Cosentino's, an Italian market which started as a fruit stand decades earlier. It closed but the location (and staff) was saved by another local market (Lunardi's). With local roots, they would buy from small local growers so there was a constant stream of interesting and fresh produce. It might only be a bushel or three, so catch as catch can. Also great Turkey from a local farm (forget the brand) during the holidays.

This is one of the few things I miss from the left coast. But I have been finding local fresh produce stands, rare things like Benton's Bacon on occasional road trips, and now get fresh quail and duck and (of course) chicken eggs from various producers in my area.

This has been going on for decades.  Before I retired I had been associated with the grocery business for 30 and some years.  Many important players from past days absorbed or failed or vanished.  Except on a small scale,  I doubt there are many independent chains and operators left.

12 minutes ago, John Kloehr said:

Benton's Bacon on occasional road trips, and now get fresh quail and duck and (of course) chicken eggs from various producers in my area.

whereabouts are you? 
We just bought some property on Tellico Lake near Madisonville with plans to move in a couple years. 

Lots of Food City stores out that way which is our favorite.

15 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

whereabouts are you? 
We just bought some property on Tellico Lake near Madisonville with plans to move in a couple years. 

Lots of Food City stores out that way which is our favorite.

Near Seymour.

When Albertson’s bought Safeway I was pizzed!

Not much changed though. 

Their primary deli lunchmeat brand changed to a better brand. 
They fixed up the Deli and brought in better food as well. 
The fried chicken got better too and you could buy individual pieces, not just 8 piece family meals. 

I decided I was pizzed over nothing. Give Kroger a chance. Besides, there is nothing you can do about it anyway. You can go elsewhere. That’ll show ‘em! 

Archived