SASS Wire Forum

Single ply TP

Rye Miles #13621

Made the mistake of not looking at the package and got Single Ply TP!!!

Terrible , you have to use at least twice as much!:angry: :P

The cheapest TP I ever saw is the cheap stuff in Russia and Eastern Europe. Texture of crepe paper, no core, no perforations. Most stores have better stuff too.

sort of like those cheap brown paper towels that you see in most schools.

I made a couple of visits to England in the '70's.  Wonderful place and great fun in those days.  The TP was mind boggling.  It could range from something like glossy magazine stock to wax paper and virtually everything between.  I made a little booklet of unused sheets with a notation of the place it came from.  Haven't thought of it in years.  Friends I showed it to were astonished and even horrified.

The last looney bin, I mean, job I worked at the Divisions (shops and rail yards) got single ply wax paper (not quite but close) while the people at the headquarters building got nice soft 2 ply TP. 
I raised a little hell. You know what they did to fix it?

They removed all the single roll dispensers at my shop and installed those great big industrial TP units with the roll that was 20 miles long and 4” wide. 
Mother………….s!

So, while CoVid was happening I found the part number for the bureaucrat soft 2 ply they used at headquarters and I ordered 30 cases of it. 
When it arrived I checked it all out of stock and had my people stash it. 
That caused a nice young lady from Stores to call me and ask if I needed the Min/Max numbers modified. I said “Absolutely! Set the max at 30 and the min at 1.” And she did. 
That wasn’t even an “authorized item” for the rail shops, but once stores puts it in to the system it becomes “authorized”.

I am pretty sure when I left my people had at least 180 cases stashed. ;)

I say screw the ivory tower pansies! We got what my people deserved. 

8 minutes ago, Rip Snorter said:

I made a couple of visits to England in the '70's.  Wonderful place and great fun in those days.  The TP was mind boggling.  It could range from something like glossy magazine stock to wax paper and virtually everything between.  I made a little booklet of unused sheets with a notation of the place it came from.  Haven't thought of it in years.  Friends I showed it to were astonished and even horrified.

In my years running a sewage treatment plant, we had continuing ed of many kinds.

One particularly useful session was put on by Gorman-Rupp pumps.

They discussed European destination pumps and how they used specially sharpened vanes on their centrifugal pumps to cut up the CLOTH Europeans use in lieu of toilet paper.

10 minutes ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Better than poison ivy leaves, too.  Just ask my Uncle Ralph.  :huh:

And my brother. Poor kid was allergic to it too. :blink:

Remember the small tri fold tp that came out of a dispenser like paper towels only about a quarter the size. It was kinda waxy and a certain pleasure if you were having a colon blow moment.

While doing a commercial remodel near downtown Tampa, we came back to the jobsite on a Monday and opened the doors to a terrible smell. Seems one of the bums, oops...I mean residence challenged people, had broken in and took a dump in one of the rooms. The only thing that made it noteworthy was that he must have done it a night as he used handfuls of the pink batt fiberglass wall insulation as toilet paper. I doubt he would have been difficult to find if someone would have wanted to look for him among the downtown bums.:o

55 minutes ago, Linn Keller, SASS 27332, BOLD 103 said:

In my years running a sewage treatment plant, we had continuing ed of many kinds.

One particularly useful session was put on by Gorman-Rupp pumps.

They discussed European destination pumps and how they used specially sharpened vanes on their centrifugal pumps to cut up the CLOTH Europeans use in lieu of toilet paper.

I'm well into the process of installing Barnes chopper pumps in all my lift stations. Those damn sanitary wipes! 

16 minutes ago, Michigan Slim said:

I'm well into the process of installing Barnes chopper pumps in all my lift stations. Those damn sanitary wipes! 

Even the ones that say “flushable” are not. 
3 of the last houses I bought had to have the drains roto’d out because someone was flushing sanitary wipes or baby wipes. The rental I had in SoCal too. 

The Day Care upstairs at our Town Offices building has backed up sewage twice in the last few years with those damn wipes. Both times we got about 2 inches of lovely water in the whole office section. 

Cousin Dicky wasn't the sharpest knife in the drawer.  At 16 they gave him a certificate of attendance for 8th grade and sent him home. He helped his dad at logging and sawmill.  One day out in the wild,  he needed to go, as they say. Along the creek was a patch of tall weeds.  He stomped a path back in them and a space to work in. Did his business and grabbed some leafs off said weeds to clean up with. Unfortunately,  the weed we call itch weed or more widely known as stinging nettle. 

Better than the “three shells”.

14 minutes ago, Crooked River Pete, SASS 43485 said:

I got in touch with my inner self once, last time I bought single ply.

Didn't you co-star with Burt Reynolds in Cannonball Run?

Oh wait, that was Jack Elam.:o:P

24 minutes ago, Dirty Dan Dawkins said:

You would know?

In another time and in another life....Early in life would visit grand parents in Crosby, Texas.....They lived some what away from town....The little house in back is what we used...Sears book was hanging on a string...You go from there...

Texas Lizard

And then... I ain't sold, but I do know some folk whom I shall not name here....  :rolleyes:

19 minutes ago, Texas Lizard said:

In another time and in another life....Early in life would visit grand parents in Crosby, Texas.....They lived some what away from town....The little house in back is what we used...Sears book was hanging on a string...You go from there...

Texas Lizard

I’ve used notebook paper, newsprint.

course you have to work it over an edge.

Actually, one-quarter of a sheet of Scott single-ply TP, poke gently, but not compressed over 28 gr. of IMR4198 makes a great over-powder filler in a .45-70 case. Use a 385 gr cast or 405 gr jacketed bullet. Let the bullet compress the filler. Otherwise, when it comes to the original use...I'll pass!:rolleyes:

On 12/14/2023 at 6:03 PM, Warden Callaway said:

Cousin Dicky wasn't the sharpest knife in the drawer.  At 16 they gave him a certificate of attendance for 8th grade and sent him home. He helped his dad at logging and sawmill.  One day out in the wild,  he needed to go, as they say. Along the creek was a patch of tall weeds.  He stomped a path back in them and a space to work in. Did his business and grabbed some leafs off said weeds to clean up with. Unfortunately,  the weed we call itch weed or more widely known as stinging nettle. 

Went to elementary school with a guy that DROVE a '56 Ford to school in the 8th grade.   I think he was 16 or 17.....Poor guy was dumb as a rock, complained on the playground that the reason he couldn't run while playing baseball was that the "stones hurt his feet".....Looked closer and saw that his shoes had no soles, as he was literally just wearing the top over his bare feet.   Wonder if he was related to Cousin Dickey?       Hope that he had a better life!

Archived