SASS Wire Forum

Coke - the real thing?

Warden Callaway

Mary made a run to town. She asked if I needed anything.  Yes. Bring me a Coke. Not diet. Not caffeine free. Not BooBerry flavor.  Just regular Coke.

She comes home with a 2 letter bottle.  I asked. Didn't they have a larger size? Didn't they have a bottle or can at Westlake where she went.  No, not just regular Coke.  So she stopped at grocery store on way out.  She couldn't find any regular Coke in single swerving size. And 2 letter was cheaper.

We haven't bought any soft drinks for years. Never order any when we eat out.  It's not something good for my diet.  But I just got thirsty for the taste of Coke.  Made me a glass with lunch.  What a disappointment.  Don't taste like I remembered.  Tastes more like Tab.  Had Mary try a sip. Nothing like the real thing. 

1 minute ago, Warden Callaway said:

Mary made a run to town. She asked if I needed anything.  Yes. Bring me a Coke. Not diet. Not caffeine free. Not BooBerry flavor.  Just regular Coke.

She comes home with a 2 letter bottle.  I asked. Didn't they have a larger size? Didn't they have a bottle or can at Westlake where she went.  No, not just regular Coke.  So she stopped at grocery store on way out.  She couldn't find any regular Coke in single swerving size. And 2 letter was cheaper.

We haven't bought any soft drinks for years. Never order any when we eat out.  It's not something good for my diet.  But I just got thirsty for the taste of Coke.  Made me a glass with lunch.  What a disappointment.  Don't taste like I remembered.  Tastes more like Tab.  Had Mary try a sip. Nothing like the real thing. 

Sorry Warden, cocaine was phased out of the ingredients many years ago...put sugar in it's place.

COKE as a drink does not exist.  Coke is a brand that sells well.  The BEVERAGE Coke has changed it's formula/ingredients at least 5 times in it's history.  It is all a marketing thing.  :ph34r:

Probably don't remember the cocaine. But remember when they used sugarcane instead of corn sugar or artificial flavor chemicals. When oldest was in the Navy, they would load up with real Coke still being made in south America.

Coke is made with corn syrup on the US its cheaper.

New Coke was a marketing thing that 

allowed The old formula ( made with cane sugar) to exit the supply chain.

Then Coke Classic came in it was close enough to the flavor everyone 'remembered' they forgave the travesty of that nasty stuff.

Wanna check? Buy a Sixpack of the old flute bottles in the Mexican grocery and read the ingredients. 

Taste test next to the stuff you buy at the regular store. One lists cane sugar and one lists corn high fructose corn sugar as the sweetener

Doing some googling, Coke formulas are being messed with. It's different probably by plastic bottle or can.  Says MacDonald Coke taste better because they get their syrup in stainless containers rather than plastic.  They pre-cool syrup and water and add a larger ratio of syrup. Mexican Coke can be ordered in at $53/12 12oz bottles.  About $5/bottle! 

Most Home Depots carry the cane sugar Mexican coke's in glass bottles at the checkouts.

I had one last week , it was fine. Exactly like it’s always been to my taste buds anyway! 

19 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I had one last week , it was fine. Exactly like it’s always been to my taste buds anyway! 

Probably to people who have drank it all along, the change wasn't a big jump. Probably been 10 years or more since I've had a Coke.  Even then it didn't taste like the Coke of my youth. 

Way back, the down town drug store had a little fountain setup. I can't remember all they served but they served Coke made from scratch in a glass.  The best. Ice in glass. Pump syrup on ice. Fill with fizzy water. 

3 hours ago, Texas Joker said:

Then Coke Classic came in it was close enough to the flavor everyone 'remembered' they forgave the travesty of that nasty stuff.

Nope, did not forgive.

The bottle tasted funny one day and I noticed the change in sweetener. And in flavor too.

Then when "Classic" came out to make it better, it did not make it better. Separate from the sweetener, the flavor changed too.

I think it was in 1984, went from a 6-pack a day to none overnight (with the exception of that single try of "Classic.")

Still used 7up until Seagrams changed their 7, so those were gone too. Have not had a soda now in over 15 years.

I don't know if it was formula change - specific for each container. Or maybe the amount of carbonation.

But when I was in high school I could tell the difference in taste between fountain Coke, canned Coke, 6½ ounce bottled Coke, 10 ounce king size bottled Coke and 2 Liter Cokes in the plastic bottle. They all had a slightly different flavor. And when they went from steel cans to aluminum cans the flavor was different.

3 hours ago, Warden Callaway said:

Doing some googling, Coke formulas are being messed with. It's different probably by plastic bottle or can.  Says MacDonald Coke taste better because they get their syrup in stainless containers rather than plastic.  They pre-cool syrup and water and add a larger ratio of syrup. Mexican Coke can be ordered in at $53/12 12oz bottles.  About $5/bottle! 

I have read that McDonald's has a special relationship with Coca Cola and that their fountain drinks are formulated to account for some dilution due to melting ice. Others don't adjust for that.  

Also I have seen many times that if you buy a single 16 oz bottle of soda at the checkstand the price may be about the same as buying a 2 liter bottle off the shelf. 

The taste of plastic leeches into beverages produced and bottled in plastic bottles!! Carbonated beverages are the WORST!!

I don’t like that taste!!

6 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

You might find it at a Mexican market.

I do, but I've developed a taste for good sarsaparilla instead.  It's sort of like Coke and root beer mixed but not as cloyingly sweet as either one.

I try to keep a couple of bottles (it only come in glass as far as I know) of Mexican Coke on hand.

I mix mine with a lot of RUM and really don't worry about it.

Long enough ago, the original formula contained a little cocaine.  In somewhat later days, the soda fountains like the one I patronized, got bottles of syrup and mixed Cokes.  The amount of syrup and local water both differed from place to place, including at the bottling plants across the country and the rest of the world.  

Differences of plastic influence, heck we can even measure glass molecules in bottled products.  Speaking of which Coke is much improved by the addition of Rum, Bourbon, or Tequila and lime. If you are not into alcohol, the lime will do.  As to Pepsi, to fragment a popular radio jingle from the '60's "Pepsi leaves me cold.."

48 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

8F78378E-B87C-48AE-8CC1-D9DF5D7A5738.jpeg.dcdc3018136ca176bc02154c0a94ef0b.jpeg

If I wanted something too sweet and flat, I’d never have married Schoolmarm!!

I don’t want Pepsi either!!

50 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

If I wanted something too sweet and flat, I’d never have married Schoolmarm!!

I don’t want Pepsi either!!

Funny, Coke is too sweet and flat to me. It’s like syrup. 
Even if Coke tasted better I wouldn’t drink it or any of their products. I am too white for them to receive my money. 

54 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I am too white for them to receive my money. 

Never mind…  ain’t goin’ there.

2 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Can I remind everyone that everyone’s taste buds are different? :blink:

I'm on medication and was eating spicy pizza and took that into consideration.  I had Mary take a sip to get her opinion.  In my research,  they even said covid changed the tast. I suspect the China spy balloon also.  

19 hours ago, Warden Callaway said:

She comes home with a 2 letter bottle.  

Wouldn’t a 2 letter bottle just be CO?

Howdy.

I like McCoke on a hot summer day.

And little ice pleaze.

Mostly filtered ice water and I filter the cube water too.

Hardly ever buy water in plastic. No telling how long they sit around.

Pepsi made a deal with my employer. Only McD had Coke.

They didnt even want coke in our office fridge......

Paranoia strikes deep.

Best

CR

23 hours ago, Cypress Sun said:

Sorry Warden, cocaine was phased out of the ingredients many years ago...put sugar in it's place.

High fructose corn syrup is more likely these days unless you get one of the Cokes imported Mexico.

I was at lunch today at a place that sells pizza by the slice if you want. I had two pieces of pizza and a Coke. The pizza was decent and the Coke tasted just fine. 

Years ago they went to high fructose corn syrup instead of cane sugar to substantially increase profits. 

The only way to get the real coke is to buy coke bottled in Mexico which still uses cane sugar.

Archived