Jump to content
SASS Wire Forum

10-10-4 or 4.


H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619
 Share

Recommended Posts

Here is a strange idea that just occurred to me.

What do people think of a 10-10-4 or 4 match?

Shooter would have the option of shooting the normal 10 rifle, 10 pistol and 4 shotguns, or 10 rifle, 10 pistol and 4 single shot rifle targets.  Everything on the stage would be the same except for the 4 targets the shooter chooses to engage.   Might have to write the scenarios to always end with pistols.   Would be a way to offer some minor variation or a chance to be a little different without penalizing those who wish to shoot in the more standard way.  (Especially if they don't have a single shot rifle)   Rifle targets would still be large, and just a bit further out than normal main match rifle distance for safety.   This is not a "long range" addition.  Just a variation.

Anybody think it's a worthy idea?

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm always game for something different as long as it offers MORE shooting.

 

10-10-6, 10-10-8, 10-10-10 :D

 

Add another complete rifle string with a second rifle.

 

Add a third revolver.

 

Extra guns can be safely carried by a second person and staged safely.

 

Add a Blunderbuss or crank out 5 rounds of a Gatling Gun if one happens to be available. :o

 

Lots of room for imagination here.

 

Do this at a state match or higher? Probably not. Twould make for a fun monthly or club annual though.

 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Tennessee williams said:

I'm always of the mindset of everyone shoot the same stage. That being said, if someone wanted to shoot the kds with their single shot rifle while I shoot my sg, I'd be ok with it. 

 

 

I REALLY need new glasses. I thought that said shoot the kids. :wacko:

  • Like 1
  • Haha 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Rather than asking, why not write the stages and set them up at your club??

 

Well, I do plan on suggesting the idea to one of the stage writers at one of the local clubs.   But I was also curious to see if people thought it was interesting in a general way.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

 

Well, I do plan on suggesting the idea to one of the stage writers at one of the local clubs.   But I was also curious to see if people thought it was interesting in a general way.

I like the idea but when I suggested something like that, I got the big thumbs down.  The reason given was "most people don't have the guns".  I offered guns and ammo but still no joy.  My next attempt will be to have a side match stage at the end of the match, guns and ammo included.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Our club has many long range shooters and Frontiersmen. We shoot 3 or 4 matches a year that we call big bore optional.  We have single shot big bore and lever action bore as categories. They shoot the same stage as the cowpeople. But they don't shoot pistol caliber rifle. They shoot big bore targets at 35 to 50 yards. We also break it down into smokeless and BP.

 

Our annual match has the same set-up shooting big bore on 12 stages. It gets about 1/3 of the shooters enter into it.

 

No confusion as to who's shooting what. Cowpersons and BB shooters are on the same posse's.

We also shoot Josey Whales. Big bore rifle, 4 pistols, no shotgun.  Josey didn't shoot a shotgun!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Who said it has to be 10-10-4?

We often shoot local stages with 8 or 9 rifle, and with both rifle and pistol reloads.   But everybody shoots the same stage/match with standard CAS guns.   If folks want to shoot other guns, they can get together after the match and shoot the stages with them, as they wish.  

 

Local match stages can vary widely.  This month, we'll be shooting a couple fast flying clay birds with the rifle (no miss counted, just elapsed time, but a raffle ticket prize for each hit).  The raffle is a Thanksgiving turkey.  The "Turkey Shoot" match has about 20 other "ticket" winning opportunities, like "no miss" stationary clay birds mixed in the rifle arrays, a ticket for each clean stage, one for a "P"-free match,  two tickets for signing up, and a ticket for the three people voted most helpful on each posse at the end of the match.  We will see how folks like it.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Jailhouse Jim, SASS #13104 said:

I like the idea but when I suggested something like that, I got the big thumbs down.  The reason given was "most people don't have the guns".  I offered guns and ammo but still no joy.  My next attempt will be to have a side match stage at the end of the match, guns and ammo included.

 

Well, that's why I said 10-10-4 or 4.   Give people the choice.   If they don't have the single shot, they just use a shotgun as normal.  :)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

Our club has many long range shooters and Frontiersmen. We shoot 3 or 4 matches a year that we call big bore optional.  We have single shot big bore and lever action bore as categories. They shoot the same stage as the cowpeople. But they don't shoot pistol caliber rifle. They shoot big bore targets at 35 to 50 yards. We also break it down into smokeless and BP.

 

Our annual match has the same set-up shooting big bore on 12 stages. It gets about 1/3 of the shooters enter into it.

 

No confusion as to who's shooting what. Cowpersons and BB shooters are on the same posse's.

We also shoot Josey Whales. Big bore rifle, 4 pistols, no shotgun.  Josey didn't shoot a shotgun!

Yep!   That's a load a fun.   A couple of years ago, this New Englander took 3rd place in the "big bore smokeless repeater" category!   Used my 86 instead of a normal main match rifle.   It was fun.   I wanna get back out to Roop again again some day.   It was a hoot and a half.

I choose to believe there were more than three shooters in the category!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Bailey Creek,5759 said:

There was a Club in Illinois that you used 4 Pistols= 20 Rounds, 2 Rifles= 20 Rounds, 1 Shotgun for 8 Rounds.

 

There was a club here that did that once a year.   They called it their "Iron Man" match.   Lotsa fun.   Don't know if they still do it or not.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

 

Well, that's why I said 10-10-4 or 4.   Give people the choice.   If they don't have the single shot, they just use a shotgun as normal.  :)

 

And I have shot matches like this but the answer to my suggestion was "It might make folks unhappy that they can't shoot that way."  Then I got the "We want to stay true to Cowboy shooting" statement.  I knew by then it was a lost cause and forgot about trying to make the monthly match more fun.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Back when it was not uncommon at all for a stage to include a "house gun". 

 

Start seated, pick up the derringer and pop off two rounds at a paper target at arms length, then get on with the 10-10-4. 

 

Or shoot the 10-10-4, then climb to the top of the "fort", grab a single shot staged there, and shoot a couple of rounds "long range"  (50 yds or so.  Still big, easy targets).

 

House guns & ammo were always provided by a generous cowboy.  Sometimes it was announced the month before so you could shoot your own if you wanted to.  

 

Of course, back when, full pistol reloads and full/partial rifle reloads weren't unheard of either.  Start a stage with ALL guns empty?  Did that a few times too.   

 

While I understand some of us can't start lying down in a water trough or dive under a wagon anymore.  That doesn't mean we can't deviate from 10-10-4.

 

Write the stages.  Provide the house guns & ammo and have some fun!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, Shooting Bull said:

 

I REALLY need new glasses. I thought that said shoot the kids. :wacko:

Just picked up my new glasses and I thought the same.:o

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/8/2021 at 11:37 AM, Bailey Creek,5759 said:

There was a Club in Illinois that you used 4 Pistols= 20 Rounds, 2 Rifles= 20 Rounds, 1 Shotgun for 8 Rounds.

 

That was an annual match and I shot it twice. It was a lot of fun.

 

i would like a match where i can shoot my trapdoor rifle. However, i need ammo for it since PMC quit making the 45-70 cowboy ammo.

Everything i have made just does not shoot as well as that did in my trapdoor.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We have the 'Pat Garret' match down-under which is your normal match guns plus a bigger caliber rifle .. 30-30, 38-55, 45-70 etc , either lever or single shot..if the lever is 6 then the s'shot  will be less, say 4 for example.

Catergory's cover modern, traditional & classic  for both lever & s'shot..very popular , big shoots attract up to 100 shooters.

Targets for the bigger rifles are usually between 25-50 yards.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/8/2021 at 8:55 AM, Tennessee williams said:

I'm always of the mindset of everyone shoot the same stage. That being said, if someone wanted to shoot the kds with their single shot rifle while I shoot my sg, I'd be ok with it. 

 

Speshully if they're shooting in your category! :lol:

 

Kajun

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think it’s a great idea, I have a number of big bore single shot carbines that I rarely get to shoot in competition.  I agree with Lumpy that a shotgun will be faster than a SS rifle but at a monthly match it gives us shooters who don’t worry much about their times to do something different.  Even better would be the option to fire 5 SS rifle rounds instead of 10 rifle repeater for every stage. 
 

Seamus. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Assassin said:

When did we get stuck in the 10-10-4 rut? Have stage writers gotten so lazy they can't think out of the box?

 

If your stage writers cannot entertain you with 10-10-4...

You need better stage writers.

Simply changing the count to 10-8-6 or 5-12-2 aint going to do it either.

Nor is the band aid addition of 2 shots from a Derringer or a 75 yard shot from a single shot rifle.

 

It is a variation of sequences, targets, movements and gun order.

The addition of (clever) prop usage.

Reactive targets and interesting staging.

 

To simply add a gun or create a silly round count are simplistic and failed paths to create "excitement".

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.