SASS Wire Forum

C-19 dead at 80: really?

We were told back in Jan-Feb that C19 is expected to die at 80 degrees or so.

Soooooooo, if this is factual, WHY are all the hot states so worried about summer activities?

How many officials are trying to milk this C19 stuff for everything they can get out of it?

..........Widder

22 minutes ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

We were told back in Jan-Feb that C19 is expected to die at 80 degrees or so.

Soooooooo, if this is factual, WHY are all the hot states so worried about summer activities?

How many officials are trying to milk this C19 stuff for everything they can get out of it?

..........Widder

It’ll all go away come November 4th. Nearly every elected official out there is trying to milk it in one way or the other.

25 minutes ago, Yul Lose said:

It’ll all go away come November 4th. Nearly every elected official out there is trying to milk it in one way or the other.

Trump was gathering massive gatherings at his speeches - many in Democratic strongholds. How convenient to find a pandemic to put a stop to that.

If it dies at 80 degrees, how come when it infects a 99 degree person, it doesn't immediately die and leave the person alone?

That's the purpose of a fever. If a bug has infected your body, and it just loves your 99 degree temperature, your body kicks your temperature up to 101 - 102, which burns that 99° loving bug to death.

Conspiracies are getting boring. 

How about this. We have a bunch of morons governing us that get their input from other morons that wouldn’t have jobs in the real world. We also have a bunch of media morons that cannot report the truth unless there is a way to sensationalize it to meet “their agenda”. None of them know history and in this day and age if it isn’t on the internet, it doesn’t exist. Most all of them are greedy for power, attention or money or all three. None of them really have a clue so we get what we get. The blind morons leading the disenchanted. 

Covid-19 is being politicized to keep the masses in control by fear and misinformation (lies).

I do not submit to this lunacy because I love being a free, independent thinking man. :FlagAm:

AG

Im not buying the heat thing. It was above 80 in Florida & New Orleans during their peak.;) I'm in the "It's a politcal play" thing.:ph34r:

43 minutes ago, Eyesa Horg said:

Im not buying the heat thing. It was above 80 in Florida & New Orleans during their peak.;) I'm in the "It's a politcal play" thing.:ph34r:

Come on, Eyesa, I’ll bet you’re the only person thinking that!!!!!:P

3 minutes ago, Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663 said:

So is COVID-19 all fake?   Or just some of it?

:unsure:

Not fake but not worth ruining our economy and driving people into bankruptcy over. Lots of things could have been done differently but as it went along it became a sport to see who could Best the last guy. Quarantine is for sick people. If you’re at risk stay home. I know to many people that will likely never recover from this financially if it goes on much longer. 

3 hours ago, Arizona Gunfighter said:

Covid-19 is being politicized to keep the masses in control by fear and misinformation (lies).

I do not submit to this lunacy because I love being a free, independent thinking man. :FlagAm:

AG

So if someone has a different opinion, are they lunatics that don't love freedom and are enslaved stupid people?

On 5/18/2020 at 3:24 PM, Yul Lose said:

Not fake but not worth ruining our economy and driving people into bankruptcy over. Lots of things could have been done differently but as it went along it became a sport to see who could Best the last guy. Quarantine is for sick people. If you’re at risk stay home. I know to many people that will likely never recover from this financially if it goes on much longer. 

I am of the opinion that we must get the economy going for the greater good and strength of the nation.  I believe we are going to have to accept greater risk and more deaths from COVID-19 because we can't let the nation come crumbling down around us.  I believe there are going to be good and poor decisions from our President, Governors, and Mayors who have the responsibility for making those decisions.  I believe there are going to be folks greatly hurt my COVID-19 and I believe there are going to be folks who will benefit from these circumstances.  Not you, Yul, but I also believe there are a lot of folks that are pretty full of themselves, who think they are more noble, smarter, patriotic, and of higher character than those with whom they disagree.  Even with it's flaws, I believe in our great Republic.  I believe in America and that we will come out of this a better and stronger nation.  And hopefully, a little wiser.

4 minutes ago, Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663 said:

I am of the opinion that we must get the economy going for the greater good and strength of the nation.  I believe were are going to have to accept great risk and more deaths for COVID-19 because we can't let the nation come crumbling down.  I believe there are going to be good and poor decisions from our President, Governors, and Mayors who have the responsibility for making those decisions.  I believe there are going to be folks greatly hurt my COVID-19 and I believe there are going to be folks who will benefit from these circumstances.  Not you, Yul, but I also believe there are a lot of folks that are pretty full of themselves, who think they more noble, smarter, patriotic, and of higher character than those with whom the disagree.  Even with it's flaws, I believe in our great Republic.  I believe in America and that we will come out of this a better and stronger nation.

From my viewpoint and a lot of others a lot smarter than me our economy and entire lifestyle is at stake. If rampant inflation starts to kick in, and some already think it’s started the job loss will be much, much worse. Small businesses and even large businesses on the edge will never open again and if they do they’ll soon fold. Nearly half the states have the business community in a stranglehold with no intention of letting up simply to make a political statement, plain and simple. The public employee sectors, city, county, state and federal are all pretty much unscathed but the private sector is being wiped out in many places. Guess who pays the taxes to keep these public employees around? That tax base is shrinking rapidly because so many people that could and should be working are now sitting at home sucking off of the government tit on borrowed milk. The mortgage industry is on the edge and the next mortgage crash is going to make the one in 2007-2008 look like a bump in the road. 

1 hour ago, Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663 said:

So is COVID-19 all fake?   Or just some of it?

:unsure:

All being the key word. 

No. This is a real virus with not a lot of “knowns” that kills its victims in a particularly painful way. Basically, it rots your lungs until you drown in your own body fluids. The disease is real. 

The response and hysteria are highly overblown, which fits my definition of “fake”.

1 hour ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

All being the key word. 

No. This is a real virus with not a lot of “knowns” that kills its victims in a particularly painful way. Basically, it rots your lungs until you drown in your own body fluids. The disease is real. 

The response and hysteria are highly overblown, which fits my definition of “fake”.

Thank you, Charlie.  You are correct with "all."

You say the response and hysteria(?) is overblown and therefore "fake."  I can't go nearly that far...as you can't go with "all."  I don't go with "all" either.  I believe there are some overreactions and some that go too far the other way.  But, overall as a nation, I believe we are all doing the best we know how.  We'll have some failures and some successes in response to this COVID-19.  And when we're finally through this, our Nation will be okay.

Australia, New Zealand and SE Asia had their C19 outbreaks when they were still in their hot summers. It's becoming apparent that the experts simply don't know, and it's giving the politicians free rein to make up s--- on their own.

Yeah, I wouldnt be holding out for Summer if I was you.

I dont know what you were told by whom but no expert here ever said hot weather would kill it only that different weather had different effects on longevity of the virus outside a host.

We (Australia) went the hard lock down option (like NZ) and we have just had our 100th person die, linked to Covid 19. we now count the new cases in each State in ones and twos and some have none for days at a time. My State is testing 8-10,000 people a day (about 7M in the State).

I think we have about 7% of your population so if you have lost 88,000 that would equate to 6,160 deaths.

We also have a lot of people very hurt finacially although currently our Govt is spending a lot to spt people who lost their jobs (there is a $1500 a fortnight subsidy paid to keep people in work thru employers or about $1000 a fortnight as a Jobseeker scheme if you are just flat out out of a job). As well as a lot of other programs like free child care so people can go to work rather than babysit because schools are closed or they have little kids. Yes this will be paid with my taxes.

Now is the juice worth the squeeze?

Probably not for me, I am a Govt employee (Army) and my job isnt at risk but I will pay for all this in taxes and program cuts in the future and I am unlikely to be seriously affected if I get the virus.

I reckon the 6,060 people who you could argue may have died, and their families, have a different view.

I think there are several factors overlaying each other, and none of which are particularly helpful.

First, of course, there's the virus itself. Since it's a novel virus, what we know about it is evolving. Which means how we deal with it is evolving. There has been some overreaction, there has been some under-reaction. In some ways, it isn't a matter of BEING wrong, as much as it is BECOMING wrong. There is a difference.

On one hand, there's the media. A large part of the media likes to weaponize any news story to push their ideology. To do that, anything negative has to be made REALLY negative to chip away at their target. Another part of the media is desperate for ratings, and choose their presentations for how sensational they can be made, which again drives the story towards the worst thing a hyperventilating news mouthpiece can offer. And finally, many in the media have found it easier to push a story that has already been scripted for them by the party with which they most closely identify.

From another point, one political party has, even more than the media, tried to sharpen every aspect of the pandemic into a weapon against their opponent. With 20/20 hindsight, convenient memories, and the freedom from offering any real-time solutions of their own, the mouthpieces of the party latch on to anything they can to show a misstep, a shortcoming, and a lack of prescience by people trying to deal with the problem. To be effective, those faults have to be exaggerated, and the greater the exaggeration, the greater the effect.

Which connects with another part -- getting out of a lockdown that likely could have been avoided, had some circumstances been different. Faced with their excitement at targeting their political opponents over real or imagined missteps, some governors now realize that the decision is in THEIR court, that THEY have to release control, and their politicization of other politicians' miscalculations can come back to bite them -- especially bad in an election year. So they are either falling victim to that age-old enemy of decision-making -- the 'paralysis of analysis' -- or are so eaten up with being afraid of the 'what-ifs' that they are delaying making decisions that people need made, so we can get on with our lives.

Just my thoughts, take 'em or leave 'em.

22 hours ago, Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663 said:

So if someone has a different opinion, are they lunatics that don't love freedom and are enslaved stupid people?

That is not what I am implying BQ, everyone sees Covid-19 in their own way and I will not be influenced by politics, fear and fake news. I take a common sense approach to this pandemic which means social distancing, and washing my hands often. I don't wear a mask because I am free to make that choice, just as you are free to make your choices depending on how you see Covid-19 and how you choose to react to politicized and hysterical media fear mongering. 

If the Spanish Flu Pandemic of 1918 to 1920 is an indication, we can expect a second wave when the damp and cold of winter comes down on us again.

A medical friend of mine tells me there could even be a third, lesser wave after the weak have died off and there develops some "Herd Immunity" either naturally or from immunization, but who wants to be part of those that don't make it?

19 minutes ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

If the Spanish Flu Pandemic of 1918 to 1920 is an indication, we can expect a second wave when the damp and cold of winter comes down on us again.

A medical friend of mine tells me there could even be a third, lesser wave after the weak have died off and there develops some "Herd Immunity" either naturally or from immunization, but who wants to be part of those that don't make it?

Are we sure this isn't the second wave?

Yeah, I'm one of the tin hat guys that believe the first wave was late Nov19-Jan20, second wave was late Feb20-early May20 and that this whole lockdown was unnecessary.

We have been told many things which proved t be incorrect.

55 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

We have been told many things which proved t be incorrect.

UB, that's the absolute truth. 

8 minutes ago, Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663 said:

1ph7Vo.jpg

I just showed this to my lady. She said "that is something you would find funny."

Told her I was posting that, and now she is cracking up.

And back to the topic, I have seen nothing that says this or any virus dies at 80 degrees.

What happens and does correlate is that people spend more time outside as the weather warms. And by the time temperatures get up past 80 people socialize outside rather than inside and disease transmission (R0) drops way below 1. Meaning disease no longer finds (many) new hosts.

32 minutes ago, John Kloehr said:

And back to the topic, I have seen nothing that says this or any virus dies at 80 degrees.

What happens and does correlate is that people spend more time outside as the weather warms. And by the time temperatures get up past 80 people socialize outside rather than inside and disease transmission (R0) drops way below 1. Meaning disease no longer finds (many) new hosts.

I actually did see several accounts a month or two ago about the 80° subject. One was a video showing how 80+ degree water and soap would kill the disease. I can’t recall if it was a CDC or other govt agency or a news media thing.

Archived