SASS Wire Forum

Why do some members ?

DAYTON DAVE

Just wanting to rant if I may.     Why is it when you post in the classifieds and someone reply’s with “ I’ll take it “ and then you have to remind them with several PM’s that your still waiting on their payment.  In the mean time someone else may have wanted your item but in good faith you have to deal with these people because they responded first.  Please reply with your comments

In a auction situation, the first person to say "I'll take" gets it provided Full Payment is received in 5 days. (or what evrey time you place on it)

Other wise the next person to have said "I'll take it" gets the option to buy or pass with a 5 day payment in full restriction.

Until you receive payment in a timely manner, the item has not been sold.

Just promised.

I'd give them a couple of days, no more, to respond and assure you they are sending all their contact information and the $$$$$$$

After that, I would proceed with another customer.

On Canadiangunnutz, we use a Trader Rating, completed by both parties to a transaction, that is visible to all on the Equipment Exchange.

Problem users get identified pretty quickly and those with little or no Trader Ratings are carefully reviewed before any action is taken to complete a deal.

Occasionally life gets in the way. I thought I bought a Hat. Seller has not read any of the PMs I have sent. Nor has he responded to posts on the original thread.  No clue what has happened to him but I guess he really didn't want my money.

USPS is running slower than normal. Mailed a payment that took 8 days to arrive. Another arrived in only 4.

With all the virus issues and shutdowns things fall off the radar. If you are suddenly not drawing a paycheck it could be embarrassing to admit.

Bought a pistol on March 26th. Then the shutdown occurred. Sellers state closed all the gun stores. Then a family member of the seller came down with the virus. Communication was slow because he had bigger priorities but he did communicate.  Pistol finally arrived at my FFL April 26th. 

Lastly some people are just not good communicators.

1 hour ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Occasionally life gets in the way. I thought I bought a Hat. Seller has not read any of the PMs I have sent. Nor has he responded to posts on the original thread.  No clue what has happened to him but I guess he really didn't want my money.

USPS is running slower than normal. Mailed a payment that took 8 days to arrive. Another arrived in only 4.

With all the virus issues and shutdowns things fall off the radar. If you are suddenly not drawing a paycheck it could be embarrassing to admit.

Bought a pistol on March 26th. Then the shutdown occurred. Sellers state closed all the gun stores. Then a family member of the seller came down with the virus. Communication was slow because he had bigger priorities but he did communicate.  Pistol finally arrived at my FFL April 26th. 

Lastly some people are just not good communicators.

I agree.

I have seen (and heard of others) who will post an item 'WTS' and seem to never respond on the Wire of the status

even after a few Pards have posted an "I take it"   or an 'I'll take it if previous deals fall thru".

So, it ain't always the buyer.   Sometimes, the buyer gets the same frustration from a seller.

But as Dave pointed out above, sometimes circumstances dictate unforeseen stuff and WE ALL have to deal with

them as best we can.   I do agree that a reasonable time limit in receiving money, or atleast communications, is 

appropriate.

..........Widder

A lot of sellers post "Sold, Pending Funds" or SPF after someone says they'll take an item, which means it might be up for sale again if the transaction isn't completed. I sometimes see BTT (back to the top) on an item when a deal has presumably fallen thru. If the buyer is a poor communicator, it's their loss. It's up to you when you want to re-list the item.

39 minutes ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

A lot of sellers post "Sold, Pending Funds" or SPF after someone says they'll take an item, which means it might be up for sale again if the transaction isn't completed. I sometimes see BTT (back to the top) on an item when a deal has presumably fallen thru. If the buyer is a poor communicator, it's their loss. It's up to you when you want to re-list the item.

This is exactly what happened.  I understand some things just can’t be helped and I’m good with that but at least let someone know instead of just leaving you hang.  

My wife purchased a rifle and sent a check. It had not arrived after two weeks so we contacted the seller and sent him a certified letter and he received it in a few days. He sent us a text after 6 weeks had expired and told us the first check arrived. USPS seems to be a problem sometimes.

kR

I try to respond as a buyer immediately. One of the reasons I like to use PayPal for payment. It's instant.

So far, knock on wood, I've had excellent luck dealing with Pards on this wire. Thank you Cowboys/girls.

29 minutes ago, Eyesa Horg said:

I try to respond as a buyer immediately. One of the reasons I like to use PayPal for payment. It's instant.

So far, knock on wood, I've had excellent luck dealing with Pards on this wire. Thank you Cowboys/girls.

As long as it’s not a gun.

I normally send a check thru the post office priority mail so I can track it and it states on the receipt what day it should be delivered. I usually pass that on to the seller.

I sold an item a couple weeks ago and shipped it then next day after the purchaser said he would send a check. I got the check the same day he should have got the item but have not heard if he got it. guess I will have to pm him and make sure all is good.

Most of the time it just depends on who you are working with and I very seldom have problems with the cowboys on the wire.

However, I usually check their SASS number as I see a few that says guest and i will check them out a bit more carefully.

There could be a lot of reasons.

What you need to understand and embrace is:

-  The Buyer takes all the risk in the usual transaction...remember that!

-  The Buyer must gather information and make arrangements on his end and transmit info to you.  This might take more time than he’d like, and he doesn’t want to send a check until he’s sure there won’t be any problems.

-  Maybe he’s checking on you, the Seller.

-  Etc., etc., etc.

You’d do well to remember that Buyers are not no-good sob’s, and you’re not the one in charge, dictating every nuance of the transaction.  Keep your shirt on.  If you can’t do that, cancel the sale and sell it to someone else.

Cat Brules

Really?

kR

6 hours ago, Cat Brules said:

There could be a lot of reasons.

What you need to understand and embrace is:

-  The Buyer takes all the risk in the usual transaction...remember that!

-  The Buyer must gather information and make arrangements on his end and transmit info to you.  This might take more time than he’d like, and he doesn’t want to send a check until he’s sure there won’t be any problems.

-  Maybe he’s checking on you, the Seller.

-  Etc., etc., etc.

You’d do well to remember that Buyers are not no-good sob’s, and you’re not the one in charge, dictating every nuance of the transaction.  Keep your shirt on.  If you can’t do that, cancel the sale and sell it to someone else.

Cat Brules

I have not had that problem with any items bought or sold here,  However; with the current situation, our deliveries have been spotty at best.  We don't seem to be receiving and first class mail, only junk mail.  Two items shipped via Priority Mail this month have taken over three weeks to get to me.  Could the issue be the current situation?

13 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

use "Send money to a friend":P

Don't forget to inform the seller when the item arrives.

14 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Don't call it a gun. Call it an "Ammunition accessory"

accessory

[ ak-ses-uh-ree ]

noun, plural ac·ces·so·ries.

a subordinate or supplementary part, object, or the like, used mainly for convenience, attractiveness, safety, etc., as a spotlight on an automobile or a lens cover on a camera.

There are done people, less do here than other sites in my opinion, that will say “I’ll take it” quickly for just about anything they might want and later the lusting will say back up for sale as there is no obligation to buy. That allows them time to make up their mind rather than risk losing something to a serious buyer. 

6 hours ago, Sarge said:

I have not had that problem with any items bought or sold here,  However; with the current situation, our deliveries have been spotty at best.  We don't seem to be receiving and first class mail, only junk mail.  Two items shipped via Priority Mail this month have taken over three weeks to get to me.  Could the issue be the current situation?

Canada Post says it is as busy as the busiest day just before Christmas for handling parcels.  More people are purchasing online due to COVID-19 which is slowing the mail down.  Amazon.ca says they are prioritizing on mailing out items.  If you order a book or a DVD it will take a week before they put it in the mail, but if you order something that appears to be more urgently required, it will go into the mail right away.   I would assume that USPS is in the same boat regarding the influx of parcels.

"I'll take it!" puts it on hold til the mouth can get permission from the wife, sell something else to pay for it, or arrange financing in some other manner. I've been the victim of this more than once, and invariably the excuse becomes, "I was sick in the hospital for a few days, sorry, I'm going to have to pass." If you need to think about the purchase, and somebody else says, "I'll take it!", well, you're usually SOL. If somebody "wants to think about it", I put the decision on seller by saying, "I'll take it, deferring to Murdering Mad Mike". If somebody's already posted, "I'll take it!", I'll post something that indicates I'll take it if the deal falls through.

When buying, I often have payment in the mail the very same day, and always by the next day, as long as the post office is open. I can't remember ever saying I would buy something, then backing out of the deal. I've raised hell about a couple items here that were obviously mis-represented after I received them - one seller here even went so far as to give me a full refund four or five years ago on a C&R revolver ($225), then told me to keep it, as it wasn't worth the trouble and expense to return it.

I will be the happy ray of sunshine here.  :D

Maybe I'm just lucky but I have purchased and sold many, many items here on the wire and as far as I remember I've never had a problem being the buyer or the seller.

If I'm sending a larger payment amount for the item I purchased I will use a USPS money order and send it in a USPS envelope with tracking. If I'm selling an item that involves a larger payment amount I will request the buyer do the same and they always have. Otherwise regardless of the payment method worked out between buyer and seller I find an open line of communication always keeps things simple and clear. Whether it's private messaging, emailing, text messaging, or even phone calls. And it's always worked.  Being willing to update an ad, being willing to provide more details or send extra photos or have a conversation off wire about the item is part of that communication.

I look forward to selling and buying on the wire because transactions have always been flawless and we have a good stable, trustworthy community of folks here that in my observation have always been awesome to work with in a buy/sell transaction,  let alone the usual storytelling or information sharing or bantering back-and-forth with good natured ribbing or everything else that happens on the wire.

:D

The way to fix is everyone get Venmo or some sort of quick pay like it.  Money orders and postal service is too slow and unreliable.  Venmo is instant and simple.

40 minutes ago, Brandon Mavericks said:

The way to fix is everyone get Venmo or some sort of quick pay like it.  Money orders and postal service is too slow and unreliable.  Venmo is instant and simple.

PROHIBITED TRANSACTIONS

You may not use Venmo to conduct transactions that:

i. involve ammunition, firearms, firearm parts or accessories and any weapons or knives regulated under applicable law;

45 minutes ago, Brandon Mavericks said:

Be aware all of the online pay services specifically state in their license agreement that paying for firearms is prohibited Most also include a long list of  firearm related items as well .

I know of a few that ran afoul of PayPal and it took months to get their funds back.

TC beat me to it

I will use paypal for accessory items and things gun related but not firearms themselves as long as the sender sends the money as a person to person or gift transfer. This avoids fees and pretty much keeps things in a gray area although the buyer acknowledges zero purchase protection. Plenty of firearms related website's classified ads users will do this.

Archived