SASS Wire Forum

Virus Inspired Hoarding

J-BAR #18287

Some off my residents were remarking today about the lack of certain essentials at the stores today at the mail boxes. So, the panic has set in here also. Me? I'm good, our Girl Scout cookie order came in today. I just tried some of the new lemon ones, only complaint i have is once the package is opened ,it's VERY difficult to slide the tray back in........:blink::rolleyes::lol::blush:

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

I absolutely detest these ads.

My Momma would have tanned my hide if I used the word "Heinie" for buttocks.  And they made a song about it.  Sorry, but there is nothing cute about bowel movements, dirty rear ends, toilet paper stuck on your buttocks, or any associated issue.  The whole series of ads is sick.

Now that I have established my position as an arbiter of good taste, watch your step!  :D

LL

Always watch my step when someone is talking about poo.

This was once the water aisle in the only grocery store in a nearby town. 

getPart-11.thumb.jpg.29f84cdb61d795ae7677adbc20e691bd.jpg

I was amazed at the hoarding.  The paper goods shelves were empty.  Meat and dairy goods were sparse.  Even the chocolate was pretty empty.  Soap, body wash, hand sanitizer and wipes, all gone.  The last hurricane we had didn't see hoarding this severe. 

13 minutes ago, Henry T Harrison said:

Do people really think that they need to hoard water? Just turn on the faucet moron 

Yep! UV processes and chlorine give us the safest water in the world. And probably the cheapest.

5 hours ago, Henry T Harrison said:

Do people really think that they need to hoard water? Just turn on the faucet moron 

5 hours ago, Michigan Slim said:

Yep! UV processes and chlorine give us the safest water in the world. And probably the cheapest.

Lots of people had well water, radon, minerals...

6 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Lots of people had well water, radon, minerals...

And they had all that before the virus 

I stopped by my local Kroger this evening to pick up some sale St. Patricks Day items.  Of course the paper items and bottled water was gone.  There was plenty of asparagus and ginger root in the produce area but not a single apple.   The beer was all sold out too.  My local Tractor Supply has lots of bottled water the hoarders have not yet discovered.

51 minutes ago, Edward R S Canby, SASS#59971 said:

I stopped by my local Kroger this evening to pick up some sale St. Patricks Day items.  Of course the paper items and bottled water was gone.  There was plenty of asparagus and ginger root in the produce area but not a single apple.   The beer was all sold out too.  My local Tractor Supply has lots of bottled water the hoarders have not yet discovered.

Around here all the major stores started getting hit Thursday afternoon. Friday the obscure stores started getting hit. When the news started announcing that the President was declaring a national emergency people went bonkers. 

Heard from the guy at the autoparts store that it took his wife over two hours to check out at walmart. She was there buying their weekly grocery items and couldn't believe how crazed people were becoming. 

13 hours ago, Calamity Kris said:

This was once the water aisle in the only grocery store in a nearby town. 

getPart-11.thumb.jpg.29f84cdb61d795ae7677adbc20e691bd.jpg

I was amazed at the hoarding.  The paper goods shelves were empty.  Meat and dairy goods were sparse.  Even the chocolate was pretty empty.  Soap, body wash, hand sanitizer and wipes, all gone.  The last hurricane we had didn't see hoarding this severe. 

The cashier at the store told me it’s worse than a hurricane. In a hurricane all the other stores in the chain send supplies to the stores in the affected area. But the affected area now is the whole country so no supplies are forthcoming for awhile.

3 hours ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

:wacko::blink: ????

Other paper products and such will not break down like TP, so it blocks the sewer.

Y’all DO UNDERSTAND, I hope, that people are going out buying up food and other necessities, like bottled water and paper products BECAUSE they don’t want to be out there in the world AFTER the SHTF, when every 5th person is out there sneezing, coughing, etc., spreading this virus.

If this CV19 thing takes off NOW, even the nurses won’t show up for work at the hospitals......you can believe that.  Some of the MD’s will stay home, too.  

President Trump’s declaration of a National Emergency yesterday was a good thing, along with various organizations, municipalities, schools, etc. closing or cutting back their operations TO LIMIT OR ELIMINATE large groups’ possibly spreading the virus.  So, if this doesn’t turn out to be The Super Plague, we can appreciate the efforts of The President and many, many others, because their efforts prevented it from becoming so.

I remind people to become aware of the virus as being a serious threat.  And, if that includes “hoarding” stuff so that you aren’t going out in the public as much, then start hoarding stuff.  I suggest we do not intermingle much during the next 60-90 days.  Whether or not you believe this virus is a serious threat doesn’t matter; you must behave as if it is a threat, anyway.

Cat Brules

3 hours ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

:wacko::blink: ????

He meant non bio-degradable. Un-flushable. Sears catalogs. Guns and Ammo back issues, paper plates, Shoe boxes. Etc.

I was at a gun store yesterday because it was Friday and I try to go on Friday’s at lunch if I have time. This is a really small shop catering mostly to cowboy type guns, with a small selection of black pistols. I’ve never seen more than a couple customers in there, but yesterday at one time there were at least 12 people in line. This shop is the size of my living room, so it was pretty packed. 

Howdy:

I have all I need stored away in my freezer.  I have 50 lbs  of fish fillets, 75 lbs of land-o-lakes butter and a 50 lb bag of potatoes and several cabbages and onions.  I make my own bread most times and have about 4 5-lb bags.  I have all the wonderful foods (might have to go out and get a few bags of yellow onions) I need.  Wife is moaning that we need other items than what I have - but she is Asian so go figure. :-)  (probably wants broccoli or cauliflower) :-\ 

STL Suomi

12 minutes ago, St. Louis Suomi SASS #31905 said:

Howdy:

I have all I need stored away in my freezer.  I have 50 lbs  of fish fillets, 875 lbs of land-o-lakes butter and a 50 lb bag of potatoes and several cabbages and onions.  I make my own bread most times and have about 4 5-lb bags.  I have all the wonderful foods (might have to go out and get a few bags of yellow onions) I need.  Wife is moaning that we need other items than what I have - but she is Asian so go figure. :-)  (probably wants broccoli or cauliflower) :-\ 

STL Suomi

875 pounds of butter? It’s not the virus you have to worry about. Your heart will give long before that. 

My younger sister is taking up CAS and went to a Sportsmans Warehouse to buy a revolver she ordered.  She could not pick it up because there was a four-hour wait at the gun counter with Asians buying handguns.  (She lives on the left coast - lots of Asians.)  She ordered a second revolver and will return later to buy both - hopefully with a much shorter line.

I shot a match this morning.  I'm not too concerned about being around people outdoors.  Indoors is another matter.

I went to a gunshow in Springfield this morning, attendance a bit lighter than usual but still a good crowd and lots of tables.  I'm guessing about 400 cars in the parking lot (Fairgrounds about 2/3 full) and at least 100 tables.  People joking about not shaking hands, didn't seem to bother anyone much.

I made the silly mistake of going up to Bass Pro at 2pm today (Saturday) to pick up an order of trap shells.
Toilet paper is not the only thing being sold out... there is a HUGE run on guns, first-time buyers.

It was Take-A-Number time... and I was #99.
A full hour wait (19th in line), then the added pain of CA DROS paperwork, background check, ad nauseum.
2.0 hours to pick up one case of STS... shoulda ordered four... after that much pain.

Our usual WinCO market (and Costco) have lines stretching out the door and around the building.
Safeway, Raleys and the other higher-end markets are not as crowded, but just as sold out of TP, wipes, alcohol and bleach.

3 hours ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

I went to a gunshow in Springfield this morning, attendance a bit lighter than usual but still a good crowd and lots of tables.  I'm guessing about 400 cars in the parking lot (Fairgrounds about 2/3 full) and at least 100 tables.  People joking about not shaking hands, didn't seem to bother anyone much.

Heard this afternoon that the April Wanenmacher’s Tulsa Arms Show is cancelled.

From my own experience you fellers looking at cataract surgery are not in for a bad time. I had both eyes done a couple years ago. As long as you don't come awake during the procedure you be fine as far as pain. The gas dr messed up, I came awake 1/2 through one surgery, not a good feeling.

We just made our grocery run.   Hit ALDI a few minutes before opening.   A dozen people already waiting. In a few minutes there were a dozen more and more coming off the lot.  We decided to go to Wally-World and let the mob get done at ALDI.  Wally-World looked normal outside.   Seemed to be a high percentage of old people shopping.   50 yard asle rack both sides top to bottom front to back empty paper products.  Next rack over was empty of bleach and soaps.  Sawmill Mary said they were out of coffee,  bread, flour and spaghetti sauce!  Other items were low on inventory. Odd,  the produce section was well stocked.  One would think fruits and vegetables would be high on a list of healthy eating. 

We returned to ALDI and could see most of the carts were out so store was still crowded.   We went to our local grocery store.  It had everything on the shelves - even bleach. 

We are not hoarding anything. Yesterday, Hubby made a strawberry, banana (he eats both with his cheesecake every day for breakfast), ice cream (every day for lunch) and gas (for my generator as we had a power outage and didn't know how long it would last) run yesterday and our local IGA market was fully stocked.

I just heard on TV they are recommending folks postpone doctor and dentist appointments. Unfortunately, I had both last week and had to pick up a prescription Saturday. Luckily, the doctor has two locations and this one was in a medical complex. Her other one is between the ER and Hospital. They are all one unit. I went to Wallmart Saturday after picking up the prescription, it was no more busy than most Saturdays.

There is some joy to living in the boonies near small towns.

Here in Orangevale/Folsom, the stores are stripped.
Those without TP will have to drip dry, or launder their reusables.
No eggs left, meat almost gone, soups and cans gone.

Gun shops are doing a booming business here.
Swamped with first-time buyers who don't known a rack from a roll of TP.
Ammo is flying off the shelves, and the price is skyrocketing.

Sportsmans' is having a nice sale on 209A primers.
My order arrives in a few days.
I have everything else I need.

I just don't get it.  Hoarding TP!  And the other items.  How is that going to affect your dealing with the virus?  Taking steps to reduce your exposure may reduce your chance of catching the virus.   Keeping your health in the bast shape possible will maybe reduce the severity if you do get the flu.   But TP and bullets? 

Hopefully,  warmer weather and sunshine will kill off the virus and people can get back to being normally stupid. 

Buying guns and ammo makes sense for Asians who don't already own these items.  A co-worker's son married a lovely Chinese girl a few years ago.  Now she stays home with their first child and won't even step out the front door of her own home.  There are some ugly Americans who think every Asian person they see is personally responsible for the Wuhan virus pandemic.

Hoarding TP is just nuts.

I've bought lots or primers from Sportsman's recently.  Their prices are what I paid twenty years ago.  I note they just ended their sale.

Was just at Sam's Club, what a f'n zoo. Just needed some milk, burger and Jack Links extra tender jerky. Milk and jerky, no problem. The meat department was empty except for some select chicken and the guy behind the counter was issuing burger by hand. It wasn't limited as far as I know but some guy wanted 15 packs of burger, that's about 75lbs of burger. Restaurants and bars are pretty much closed so that wasn't it. He was just a greedy hoarder. They told him he had to wait until others got what they needed. He was still there when I departed which was a joy also. Imagine a 10 lane highway funneled into one toll booth....that's right one checker at the door.

I should go get my usual 50 gallons of non ethanol gasoline for hurricane season. It's cheaper than I've seen in years. Thanks for reminding me Allie.

Archived