SASS Wire Forum

Forgive and Forget

Alpo

You have been wronged.

Do you forgive and forget?

Or do you forgive, but remember?

Or do you forget about it, until something happens to bring it up in memory again, and then you think, "I'm gonna find that sumbitch one of these days"?

I'm the third type, myownself. Someone does me wrong, and I don't see him right soon, I tend to forget about it, because carrying a grudge around don't do you no good. But if I see him, or someone mentions him, that block of memory opens up again.

I might not take any action - kinda hard to convince the judge that it was reasonable I put somebody in the hospital because he stole $20 out of my wallet 50 years ago - but I sure hell haven't forgiven him.

Forgive your enemies- but remember the b@#$%^d's name.  If they will screw you once, they will do it again.

Take advantage of my trust of you and I'm 'done with' you. 

No contact other than what's absolutely necessary (I'll cross a busy street to avoid them) and even then, it will be minimal and under protest on my part.  Don't bother trying to initiate small talk because all you are getting is one syllable answers- if I bother to give you more than an 'are you stupid or what?' look.

Hey ALPO.

I think, as you related to, that the 'circumstance' would mostly dictate your actions and reactions.

Sometimes, I find it disparaging to forgive, forget and trust someone who may have wronged

a friend, more so than if they had wronged me.

In my life, I have been wronged, lied to, cheated, etc.....

Forgiveness is a good attribute of mine.    

A good Memory tends to be a stronger attribute of mine.

..........Widder

Really depends on what the wrong was.

I'll forgive but only to a point. I never forget. Sometimes I never forgive.

I don't seek revenge on the ones that I have forgiven. On the ones I haven't forgiven, I don't seek revenge but if the opportunity presents itself....I'll take it and use extreme prejudice. If you are my enemy, you'll stay that way for life.

Only so many times in life that you can turn the other cheek in my opinion.

54 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

Really depends on what the wrong was.

I'll forgive but only to a point. I never forget. Sometimes I never forgive.

I don't seek revenge on the ones that I have forgiven. On the ones I haven't forgiven, I don't seek revenge but if the opportunity presents itself....I'll take it and use extreme prejudice. If you are my enemy, you'll stay that way for life.

Only so many times in life that you can turn the other cheek in my opinion.

My attitude too, with one caveat: The only time I forgive is IF they:

(1) Admit the wrong,

(2)Right the wrong,

(3)ASK for forgiveness.

And I STILL don't forget.

2 hours ago, Alpo said:

You have been wronged.

Do you forgive and forget?

Or do you forgive, but remember?

Or do you forget about it, until something happens to bring it up in memory again, and then you think, "I'm gonna find that sumbitch one of these days"?

I'm the third type, myownself. Someone does me wrong, and I don't see him right soon, I tend to forget about it, because carrying a grudge around don't do you no good. But if I see him, or someone mentions him, that block of memory opens up again.

I might not take any action - kinda hard to convince the judge that it was reasonable I put somebody in the hospital because he stole $20 out of my wallet 50 years ago - but I sure hell haven't forgiven him.

It's like reading my own answer.  Thanks.

I believe we've had this discussion before. For me, forgiveness is releasing a burden that only I carry, the weight unknown to the person I carry it against. Having said that, to forget is to invite that person to wrong me again, for which I would only be able to blame myself.

Howdy ;

Cheat me once, Shame on You ,,,, Cheat me Twice Shame on Me …..

I forgive ,,, but remember …. 

Cheat a Friend ,,,,,, It's up to them if they Forgive, but I don't Forget ...

In two decades in this sport I have put exactly Two Persons on my "Do Not Deal With" list ….

Folks in this game are the nicest most trustworthy folk around ,,,, except those two ….

Both Wronged Friends of Mine …  I have personally had no real issues ….

Jabez Cowboy  

All depends. Kinda like the miss-flow charter. Was this a misunderstanding? Yes-No. Was this the first time? Yes-no. Is the guy a jerk? Yes-No etc...….

IMHO

Forgive means you don’t allow the person or wrong to dictate The rest of your life.

Remember means they ain’t going to fool you again.

On 2/5/2020 at 11:14 AM, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

I still hold a grudge against a guy who's been dead 10 years!

Is that the Irish in ye?  Don't forget: forgiveness isn't for him - it's for you.  That being, I've always said  Southern women (with or without that drop of Celtic blood) have a long memory, and we can wait.

I'll probably delete this a I did with parts of my previous post. I've been wronged many times. One of the most hurtful was by someone I respected. He believed lies someone told him about me and repeated them in an email to someone else. I, among others, was copied into a forwarding of his email stating those lies. I wrote him that he "was greatly misled" by the liar. He told the liar and the liar wrote me. Liar told me to leave the person he misled alone. I've tried to forgive the misled person; but, I will not forget that he repeated lies based on one person's word.

On ‎2‎/‎2‎/‎2020 at 2:56 PM, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

My attitude too, with one caveat: The only time I forgive is IF they:

(1) Admit the wrong,

(2)Right the wrong,

(3)ASK for forgiveness.

And I STILL don't forget.

None of the people who have wronged me have done this. I ask myself, is this the way they treat anyone who disagrees with them?

Archived